La Liga 2017/18

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Don't understand couple of you. Like you watch football for the first time. Ball was going into the goal. He stopped it with his hand. Rules say- penalty and red card.
Ref could and should delay decision second or two , ball went into the goal, goal would stand and carvajal would escaped red card.
Simple.
Get over yourself. I thought it was a red card as well, but if the ball went into the goal anyway (regardless of the whistle) then how can one say it was stopped from going into goal, as some have said? Just a curiosity, not arguing the call.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The implications of the match were vastly different, which I already explained. I’m not arguing about what the ref has called. The original post made some weird point about people hating Carvajal in the same way people hated Suarez in the WC or something like that so I pointed out why there was a difference.
Doesn't matter if you kick someone in the head on purpose in a WC semi final or a league match

Well the game may have been bigger but there is no difference, same actions

The Suarez incident was blown out of proportion imo

I wouldn't want a player on my team that wouldn't take one for the team like Suarez did in that situation it was 100% the right thing to do at the time

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Everytime I watch them play(which isnt often since I dont care for La liga) Im baffled at the fact so many people argue Ronaldo is better than Messi. Better at what? Definitely not at football.

Blows my mind honeslty, stats, prizes and what not aside, Messi is better at everything bar being over 6 ft tall.
I don't get it either. You could see the difference today. Messi was everywhere and created opportunities for his teammates. Always causing danger. Ronaldo was standing at the other end of the pitch and waited for someone else to make something happen.

gibers

Everytime I watch them play(which isnt often since I dont care for La liga) Im baffled at the fact so many people argue Ronaldo is better than Messi. Better at what? Definitely not at football.

Blows my mind honeslty, stats, prizes and what not aside, Messi is better at everything bar being over 6 ft tall.

I think it's the effect of FIFA games. Not even kidding. Most of these people don't watch them regulalry. There really is no comparison. Messi is the most complete football player of this generation by a distance. Build up, final balls, goal scoring.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Real Madrid are now 14 points behind. Why have they been so poor this season? Sticking with Benzema not a good idea?

Rajma

So if they get punished, it’s not cheating? Makes sense....
Wut? Cheating is exactly that - you do something on a purpose but it goes unnoticed, then how it is cheating if players punishment reflect their actions. You seem to be lost.

Well I brought this up as evidently such challenges do not happen every day, of course you gonna remember them, that's obvious.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Congratulations cules. What a second half! Who could have thought in August that it would be Barca barca's turn to take Madrid to el baño, already at Christmas. Congrats for the La liga title (I don't believe this could even jinx it).

I feel sorry for Zidane, my football idol, but he is messing up big time. Has to become more ruthless, more of a manager than the 'parent' he is to his players. This was one of Sir Alex best qualities as a manager, with no sentimentality he would kick out players who didn't cut it, or did not help the team to progress (the ending of Keane comes to mind). Benzema needs to sit in a corner and reflect on what he is good at, because it is not as a striker. Or as any position at real&barca-level.

Florida Man

Doesn't matter if you kick someone in the head on purpose in a WC semi final or a league match

I wouldn't want a player on my team that wouldn't take one for the team like Suarez did in that situation it was 100% the right thing to do at the time
Like I said, the difference is in the implications especially considering what was at stake. I get that the literal actions were the same, but that’s not what I’m referring to.

Donut

Amen.

el3mel

Barca are a very strong team even if it's not clear to their fans. They still miss Dembele and Umtiti.

Can see them challenging for CL this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Real Madrid are now 14 points behind. Why have they been so poor this season? Sticking with Benzema not a good idea?
Morata would score many important goals for them. They don't have Pepe and James was useful too. They have a much weaker squad now. Benzema has become pants like you said

Banat

Well, who would have thought. After turbulent summer (Paulinho, Leo's transfer talk, debt etc) I really thought Barca will struggle this year. Real, on the other hand, looked even stronger than previous season and look at them now. I think they will look to replace Zidane in near future...
Shows how little I know about football and management.

Florida Man

Wut? Cheating is exactly that - you do something on a purpose but it goes unnoticed, then how it is cheating if players punishment reflect their actions. You seem to be lost.

Well I brought this up as evidently such challenges do not happen every day, of course you gonna remember them, that's obvious.
Cheating is cheating whether or not you get caught. As an example why were Juventus punished again back in 2006?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Get over yourself. I thought it was a red card as well, but if the ball went into the goal anyway (regardless of the whistle) then how can one say it was stopped from going into goal, as some have said? Just a curiosity, not arguing the call.
I have a feeling that we are talking about same thing here. I said it that ref should waited second or two and then it would be goal and no red card. But he didn't make wrong call with this. Carvajals reaction said it all. He knew what he did and just walked out of the pitch.
BUT good ref would wait second or two more, not arguing that. So not wrong call but he could do it better

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
On the other hand, my national team has Modrić, Rakitić and Kovačić. But, God doesn't always give you everything so he sent us Lovren also.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think it's the effect of FIFA games. Not even kidding. Most of these people don't watch them regulalry. There really is no comparison. Messi is the most complete football player of this generation by a distance. Build up, final balls, goal scoring.
True, Ronaldo is a fecking monster in Fifa.

Pocho

Poor Ronaldo, he is a great scorer but you don't have to compare him to Messi, it's humiliating.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Morata would score many important goals for them. They don't have Pepe and James was useful too. They have a much weaker squad now. Benzema has become pants like you said
Don't forget the whole squad is one year older as well

A lot of players in their 30's and an extra year on them high mileage players takes it's toll when there is so many in the team

SER19

Barca are a very strong team even if it's not clear to their fans. They still miss Dembele and Umtiti.

Can see them challenging for CL this season.
They're good, but still feel they and real would require a huge improvement to win it. Really does feel like that Spanish cycle will be interrupted for a while until it comes around again

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Funny thing, on that wc lahm( i think) did the same thing in group stages. Nothing happened, nobody mentioned that.

kouroux

Don't forget the whole squad is one year older as well

A lot of players in their 30's and an extra year on them high mileage players takes it's toll when there is so many in the team
Very true. They are also not that used to winning the league and what it means to be the champion and your status changes for the next season.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Don't get it either, but the debate is so tedious that I don't even want to go in that Messi vs Ronaldo thread.

Edit: and Messi vs Ronaldo thread is alive as we speak :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

So true this

Florida Man

You really are butthurt if in your mind these kind of parallels sit well.:lol: It's a feckin sport.
You must be a teenager to insist on using these terms. You made a pointless statement about the criticism of Suarez from 3 years ago, so again, calling others snowflake and butthurt is laughable. You should consider going back to 4chan.

Theonas

Scout

Blows my mind as well. I think the past two years has been his best actually considering how poor Barcelona have been. Their plan was to give it to him and get him to create and or score and he has been doing it better than anyone I have seen. If you put him at Chelsea, Spurs or us, we'd instantly be CL favourites.

Florida Man

I have a feeling that we are talking about same thing here. I said it that ref should waited second or two and then it would be goal and no red card. But he didn't make wrong call with this. Carvajals reaction said it all. He knew what he did and just walked out of the pitch.
BUT good ref would wait second or two more, not arguing that. So not wrong call but he could do it better
Yep, I can agree to all of this.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Bizarre that they didn't replace the players during the summer (or keep Morata at least and give him playing time), it's not like they lack money.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Blows my mind as well. I think the past two years has been his best actually considering how poor Barcelona have been. Their plan was to give it to him and get him to create and or score and he has been doing it better than anyone I have seen. If you put him at Chelsea, Spurs or us, we'd instantly be CL favourites.
In an ideal world Messi would go to the premier league, sadly will never hopen. A hattrick against Stoke would finally silence all the critics.

kouroux

Bizarre that they didn't replace the players during the summer (or keep Morata at least and give him playing time), it's not like they lack money.
Maybe they do ? I mean they were strongly interested in M'Bappé and he wanted to join them but they just wouldn't cough it up

Edea

I agree

Maybe they are level as goalscorer
but not as footballer

lonelyred

@Rajma

You made a good point - the outrage about Suarez handball is there because it was Suarez (probably the most abhorrent player I've ever watched) and to some extent because poor Ghana missed from the penalty kick after that. If he had - say - fouled a Ghana player on the goal line thus stopping him from scoring (also a sending off offence), nobody would be complaining.

Couple of other examples:

0:15

That's not "cheating". It's just a deliberate handball - a penalty if in the box, a free kick elsewhere. If it impedes a promising action by the opponent, it's a cautionable offense. If it prevents a clear goal scoring opportunity, it's a sending off.

Edit: However, if a player does that, but acts as if he has not, with intention to fool the referee (pretends he he has used his head to play the ball, and not his hand for instance) - then obviously it is a form of cheating. But the decision to use the hand alone is not.

Last edited:

Rajma

You must be a teenager to insist on using these terms. You made a pointless statement about the criticism of Suarez from 3 years ago, so again, calling others snowflake and butthurt is laughable. You should consider going back to 4chan.
Yes because drawing such laughable parallels is mental tbf

Theonas

Scout
I read somewhere an interesting article about how Perez's teams are more suited to Cups than league campaigns and I think it makes a lot of sense. From the Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo and Beckham era to now, they have won something like 5 CL titles but the league return has been abysmal by comparison. They have two league titles in 10 years now which is really mediocre for a team that is considered one of the absolute elite, it is one more than Atlético Madrid. Looking at it like that suggests that this year is more of the norm than last year's where they showed the consistency required to win the league.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nothing would please me more than to see Sevilla nick that fourth spot in La Liga. All sewn up for Barca now.

Florida Man

Yes because drawing such laughable parallels is mental tbf
Well you clearly don’t understand the meaning of cheating so you likely needed a ridiculous analogy to see the point. “It’s not cheating if you get caught and punished” :lol: Read that back to yourself to see how ridiculous that sounds.