g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

La Liga 2017/18

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Context: Treble in 2009, Double in 2011, 100 points in 2013, Treble in 2015...

It's a massive achievement just...not really that big for them...(plus they weren't all that impressive while doing it, strangely enough)

Losing like that to Roma and Madrid with a chance to win 3rd CL in a row also have a big impact. Truth is their season has been very good right now. If we lose it'll be great. If we win, they'll mourn the whole summer

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Losing to Sevilla now, I see. Are you doing this on purpose, to rub it in further? Bastards.

Skorenzy

Losing to Sevilla now, I see. Are you doing this on purpose, to rub it in further? Bastards.
All the while Sevilla did their best to not win as well. Quite an eventful game for Sergio Ramos: he missed a penalty, scored an (unlucky) own-goal and eventually scored from a second penalty in stoppage time to bring it back to 3-2.

Bole Top

if they end the season unbeaten, it would be a special achievement but no, it really wouldn't make them one of the greatest teams. if anything, their obvious flaws and weaknesses make their league campaign even more special because they really shouldn't be doing something that even Pep's Barca couldn't achieve. preseason struggles shouldn't be forgotten just because they were able to overcome them.

because after Madrid won CL and league + those two supercup games back in august and loss of Neymar, I think majority of Barca fans feared that Madrid finally left them behind, so I believe most of them would have accepted domestic double if you offered them before the season started, let alone winning it without a single loss. but now, after seeing Madrid being so vulnerable and beatable lately, even in CL + that horror show against Roma, some of those same fans probably feel they have more reason to be disappointed instead being happy because they bounced back immediately.

currently it looks like they're in better position than Madrid for the next 2 years, but that wasn't the case back in august.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
We would have beat you guys in the final. Hummels is getting left on the turf by one of our three forwards on the night, that would have been for certain :lol:. In all seriousness though, the likes of Sule would have probably stood up to be counted. We will never know.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
We would have beat you guys in the final. Hummels is getting left on the turf by one of our three forwards on the night, that would have been for certain :lol:. In all seriousness though, the likes of Sule would have probably stood up to be counted. We will never know.
Just stuff them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
if they end the season unbeaten, it would be a special achievement but no, it really wouldn't make them one of the greatest teams. if anything, their obvious flaws and weaknesses make their league campaign even more special because they really shouldn't be doing something that even Pep's Barca couldn't achieve. preseason struggles shouldn't be forgotten just because they were able to overcome them.

because after Madrid won CL and league + those two supercup games back in august and loss of Neymar, I think majority of Barca fans feared that Madrid finally left them behind, so I believe most of them would have accepted domestic double if you offered them before the season started, let alone winning it without a single loss. but now, after seeing Madrid being so vulnerable and beatable lately, even in CL + that horror show against Roma, some of those same fans probably feel they have more reason to be disappointed instead being happy because they bounced back immediately.

currently it looks like they're in better position than Madrid for the next 2 years, but that wasn't the case back in august.
Good summary.

Barca had better teams in many of their previous title wins in 2005,09,11 and 2015 imo.

Going a whole season unbeaten is special but those Barca sides were better which was indicated in either number of trophies won/and style of football.

This Barca team has largely had Messi in God mode for most of the season. Still amazing to think Real Madrid will probably end a good 20 points off them, not what we were expecting in August.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

It's a massive achievement just...not really that big for them...(plus they weren't all that impressive while doing it, strangely enough)

Losing like that to Roma and Madrid with a chance to win 3rd CL in a row also have a big impact. Truth is their season has been very good right now. If we lose it'll be great. If we win, they'll mourn the whole summer
It may be only me, but this thing about Real Madrid supporters saying how we will feel if things go a certain way has the opposite effect, the more I hear "you'll feel bad for your season if we win La 13ª" the less I care about you guys winning 3 or 5 in a row.

Past summer we were defeated in 2 of the 3 titles and Neymar left us, so excuse "us" if we really don't mourn this summer after winning 2/3 and looking forward to a season with Coutinho, Dembele and maybe Griezmann, instead of Arda, Deulofeu and Andre Gomes.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, agreed. Whatever the outcome is of the CL final, Barca had a great season.

Which can't be said about us if we lose by the way. Let's not try to be too cocky.

Phil

Madrid lost to Sevilla eh? Sack the manager immediately, I think that's how it works right?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It may be only me, but this thing about Real Madrid supporters saying how we will feel if things go a certain way has the opposite effect, the more I hear "you'll feel bad for your season if we win La 13ª" the less I care about you guys winning 3 or 5 in a row.

Past summer we were defeated in 2 of the 3 titles and Neymar left us, so excuse "us" if we really don't mourn this summer after winning 2/3 and looking forward to a season with Coutinho, Dembele and maybe Griezmann, instead of Arda, Deulofeu and Andre Gomes.
Like it or not our stories are intimately related, with rivalry in all areas.
The season of one is always compared to the other.
I've been listening for years that Barcelona plans better, that it plays better, and that it has the best player in the world. While Madrid was the worst in the last decades, with European cups in black and white, a player who can not compare with the Messiah and a coach without much idea. You do not, but at street level, in the mocking debate of every day -that many fans use-Madrid winning three in a row, with such a flamboyant record,as Bayern and Ajax in the 70s can be upset
I would at least have a bittersweet feeling. Then, obviously Barcelona look very good. I did not think Bartomeu would be able to recover.
By the way, what would you do with Dembelé if Griezmann comes?

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
I believe we will have 4 forwards for 3 positions and rotate them. Suarez clearly needs more rest(as will Messi occasionally) and he is no longer as consistent. Also I think this will be his last year for us and he will be rotating with other 3 forwards. I personally do not have/see a problem with that, but I am just an armchair expert.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Like it or not our stories are intimately related, with rivalry in all areas.
The season of one is always compared to the other.
I've been listening for years that Barcelona plans better, that it plays better, and that it has the best player in the world. While Madrid was the worst in the last decades, with European cups in black and white, a player who can not compare with the Messiah and a coach without much idea. You do not, but at street level, in the mocking debate of every day -that many fans use-Madrid winning three in a row, with such a flamboyant record,as Bayern and Ajax in the 70s can be upset
I would at least have a bittersweet feeling. Then, obviously Barcelona look very good. I did not think Bartomeu would be able to recover.
I understand that, but for me being bittersweet is a little about me choosing to be it or not, not some hex that other people has to put in me and I have to accept, I'd be bittersweet in normal circumstances, but when everyone is trying to make me feel that way, putting feelings that I don't have (yet) in my mind then that basically shows a real concern about how good our season was and, in perpective, it turns this UCL into a coin toss, Madrid wins it (whatever way it's won) and I have to be sad and the other way around because other people say I should be?. Well I kind of laugh at that notion, it has taken a big part of my potential bittersweet away.

And the Dembele thing, I'm with @Semiarty on that, I'd like us to have 4 strikers and rotate them, Suarez can get more rest, and honestly, while I still love him on the pitch (the work he does for us, not his antics) I'm not a fan of his performances for the last year, so I wouldn't mind us being more flexible with which players have to play based on performance/rival basis than by decree.
We can lead with Suarez, Griez or Messi at the 9, Dembele can be reserved and we can start Griezmann, Suarez and Messi, and I'd even consider the option of Coutinho getting some rest and Leo/Antoine trying to play his role. It's going to be hard to manage for 1 or 2 seasons, but I think we're doing the right move to secure we're set for Suarez slowing down and his eventual departure, rather than improvising and overpaying the summer that it's obvious he's not going to be with us like it happened with Neymar/Dembele.

Raru9

The contxt of the beginning of the season 2017-2018 was a Madrid side dominating La Liga after destroy Barcelona in the SuperCup.... Ended with a Barcelona's double, most likely with a La Liga title unbeaten.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I understand that, but for me being bittersweet is a little about me choosing to be it or not, not some hex that other people has to put in me and I have to accept, I'd be bittersweet in normal circumstances, but when everyone is trying to make me feel that way, putting feelings that I don't have (yet) in my mind then that basically shows a real concern about how good our season was and, in perpective, it turns this UCL into a coin toss, Madrid wins it (whatever way it's won) and I have to be sad and the other way around because other people say I should be?. Well I kind of laugh at that notion, it has taken a big part of my potential bittersweet away.

And the Dembele thing, I'm with @Semiarty on that, I'd like us to have 4 strikers and rotate them, Suarez can get more rest, and honestly, while I still love him on the pitch (the work he does for us, not his antics) I'm not a fan of his performances for the last year, so I wouldn't mind us being more flexible with which players have to play based on performance/rival basis than by decree.
We can lead with Suarez, Griez or Messi at the 9, Dembele can be reserved and we can start Griezmann, Suarez and Messi, and I'd even consider the option of Coutinho getting some rest and Leo/Antoine trying to play his role. It's going to be hard to manage for 1 or 2 seasons, but I think we're doing the right move to secure we're set for Suarez slowing down and his eventual departure, rather than improvising and overpaying the summer that it's obvious he's not going to be with us like it happened with Neymar/Dembele.
I believe we will have 4 forwards for 3 positions and rotate them. Suarez clearly needs more rest(as will Messi occasionally) and he is no longer as consistent. Also I think this will be his last year for us and he will be rotating with other 3 forwards. I personally do not have/see a problem with that, but I am just an armchair expert.
I understand you with the players by decree, but it is complicated unless his performances go down a lot or get injured.
There are certain matches, level A, Champions League ties / clásicos in which I would bet on Messi Suarez Griezmann.
I can't see Dembelé sitting Suárez or Griezmann.
Although on the other hand I would not understand a loan either, since the competition later would be the same.
I guess he'll have to be patient and get confidence

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Tomorrow we have one of the best derbies in Spain. Real Betis - Sevilla FC.
Has predictably been a great watch. Think draw is fair as Sevilla had plenty of attacks. Comical first goal they scored.

Think this means Betis finish above Sevilla in the league for first time in many years.

Bole Top

Think this means Betis finish above Sevilla in the league for first time in many years.
the first thing that came on my mind was the game when they beat Chelsea 1-0 about 15 years ago, that team with Joaquin, Edu and Oliveira. I was pretty sure that was the last time they finished above Sevilla, but surprinsigly, it happened in 2012-2013 too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes :devil:

That's the official anthem of la decima. It's the greatest piece of music ever made :drool:
Oh right.:lol:

I remember when they made an opera style version of Hala Madrid when you had your centenary in 2002. Quite liked that.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Bale on this form would be a great addition to any PL side.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh right.:lol:

I remember when they made an opera style version of Hala Madrid when you had your centenary in 2002. Quite liked that.
I love that song but that'd a better fit for EC era, not quite something that you'd expect fans sing in this day and age.

The new one is absolutely great though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
A very bad song for a 10th title. Not even close to your 2002 centenario one:wenger:
They're both equally amazing, historically relevant pieces of art. The 8th and 10th wonders of the world :drool: