La Liga 2017/18

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Going through the entire league season unbeaten is definitely more meaningful than the Madrid fans would have you believe, but less meaningful than the Arsenal achievement was hailed. It's the fact that you did not lose a single match of football over an entire 10 month 38 game season. That's pretty special. So yeah, I'd take a 91 point unbeaten season over a few more points and the same end result (champions).

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
It seems Rayo and a wee team from Aragona called Huesca are going up. So happy for the Vallecas outfit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I had absolutely no idea they got 102 points.

Your refusal to acknowledge this will come back to haunt you when Real Madrid inevitably do it.
Ask ANY juventus fan about their historic league. Every single one of them will automatically assume you're talking about the 102 points season

Don't care. 11/12 was historic, and i honestly don't much care about THAT. 13/14, 16/17, those are the seasons to remember. What sticks with me from 11/12 was the pathetic performance against bayern at home. An inferior bayern side. It was amazing and historic when it happened, but in the context of the era, it's a footnote. If barcelona had won the CL that season, that's what we'd remember

What most barcelona fans will remember about this season in a few years time will be the Roma game

We are not Arsenal

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Played 38 lost 0 trumps played 37 lost 1. Undefeated/unbeatable has so much pull.
No it doesn't, not even close. 36 wins and 2 draws vs 37 wins and 1 loss? Ok, sure. 29 wins 9 draws vs 37 wins 1 loss? It's not even close. 37 wins means complete and utter domination on an unprecedented level. Winning is harder than not losing in football

Barcelona could go unbeaten in the league and not a single person would rate this barcelona team even close to the same level as the 2008-12 sides or the 14/15 treble side

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Time to get down on the dirt.

Ronaldo was offside for 16cm, so not wrongly called offside, done both in the halftime report and Spanish tv show El Chiringuito, who are anything but Barça-biased

So, we're all ignoring that Modric starts the whole thing shoving Alba so he can't start with a quick foul, or, what triggers me most, that at the same time that Alba shoves Modric at the height of the neck (call it choking, call it pushing) he throws a slap at Alba's face?.

Surely, if you want to send off Alba for that, you'd have to agree that Modric has to get a red too, because you can't aim to land a blow/slap/whatever at another player's face, that's a red card any day of the week, we're not looking at a 10vs11 in this action, if we judge it as fair as you want, this is 10vs10
It should be red for Alba and yellow for Modric.
But the more important one that you conveniently ignored is Messi must've seen the 1st red in the game, and it'd been game over right there.

- can't embed media due to restrictions, google "Messi blatantly punching Marcelo in the back" and watch the video of Messi boxing on the pitch, a clear yellow at the very least.
- 2nd Messi foul this time on Ramos, should've seen a straight red, and this was before every other red worthy incident, he had clear intent to hurt the opposition with both feet, and he should've gotten a yellow at least from before, if it was Ramos he'd have gotten a 3 match ban.

or
- Then Suarez' goal which was a clear foul on Varane, and should've been his 2nd yellow. The funny thing is that there's actually a video from the sidelines when the 4th official shouts "faltas de Suarez" a couple of times on that play but the ref just doesn't care.
or
- Then the clear penalty on Marcelo by Alba which wasn't called, even if Alba wasn't red carded (which he must've) it'd have been his 2nd yellow this time.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
@MVBDX

Messi’s foul on Ramos was a straight red?
Definitely, doesn't go for the ball, has clear intent to hurt the opposition, first with his right foot, then the other, Ramos was lucky that he could move his foot in-time on the first challenge or it might've been a bad injury. Ramos was shown a direct red for less than that just in last year's Clasico, where although he went with both feet and it was reckless, he barely touched Messi.

Even if you're gonna be the most die-hard Messi fanboy and not follow the logic, a 2nd yellow is enough to see him leave that pitch since he punched Marcelo on the back before this incident. Google "Messi blatantly punching Marcelo in the back" and watch it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@Ishdalar on second thought, of course this league trumps the 100 points one. You won in Anoeta :lol:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The Arsenal "Invincibles" thing annoys me now, because it's one of those few modern records that we just don't hold. It's irritating and the press still keep banging on about it - especially at the moment with Wenger leaving. I don't remember caring as much in the season when it happened - it bothered me more that we drew with them and that we came third.

I guess it's the same for Madrid fans. They probably don't (currently) care as much about the unbeaten season thing as they do about coming third, and the results of the clasicos. It'll only be when it gets repeated in the headlines and the biographies for years that they'll really notice it. Then, it'll become like the trebles, another big record they don't hold.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
How often something happens does not dictate how big of an achievement it is to do it.

Madrid were the only team that scored over 120 league goals. Great feat which is ever rarer than going undefeated but noone cares about it as much as having an undefeated season. Why is that?

Going undefeated is a rare feat and it should be apreciated, but it's just a league title like any other. Why should going undefeated with 80 points be more impressive than getting 111 points with 1 loss? It just makes no sense, the whole point is to get as many points as possible. It baffles me how much stock people put in a completely arbitrary thing.

1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws, that's how the sport works. 4 wins and 5 losses would have been better than the 9 draws Barcelona had.
First one, noone cared as much as having an undefeated season because no one managed to do that so far, it was so rare that you couldn't even hear most people talking about an invincible season because it just wasn't on anyone's mind, not losing once in 38 games is a feat, whatever way you look at it.

Every league, champions league, or world cup title is just a title as any other if you want to look at it like that, and we're not talking about an undefeated 80 points run, we're on route to 93, let's start calling things like they are and not start the downplaying game.

Also, what most people here are failing to notice, this isn't some league run with 5 senses only in the league title, like say one club without Euro competition and falling soon in the Cup would do, it's an invincible season with the team going to the end in the cup and just 3 games short of having a full season of games with the UCL, adds even more weight to the feat.

It should be red for Alba and yellow for Modric.
But the more important one that you conveniently ignored is Messi must've seen the 1st red in the game, and it'd been game over right there.

- can't embed media due to restrictions, google "Messi blatantly punching Marcelo in the back" and watch the video of Messi boxing on the pitch, a clear yellow at the very least.
- 2nd Messi foul this time on Ramos, should've seen a straight red, and this was before every other red worthy incident, he had clear intent to hurt the opposition with both feet, and he should've gotten a yellow at least from before, if it was Ramos he'd have gotten a 3 match ban.

or
- Then Suarez' goal which was a clear foul on Varane, and should've been his 2nd yellow. The funny thing is that there's actually a video from the sidelines when the 4th official shouts "faltas de Suarez" a couple of times on that play but the ref just doesn't care.
or
- Then the clear penalty on Marcelo by Alba which wasn't called, even if Alba wasn't red carded (which he must've) it'd have been his 2nd yellow this time.
So, pushing at the height of the neck is a red card offense, but slapping someone in the face is a yellow card?.

That's it, not much to say, with that bias is understandable you think Messi should be out in the Ramos incident, first if we play "what ifs" Ramos has to be shown a yellow for his action with Suarez (Messi "punches" Marcelo in the back? Ramos leaves an elbow and the leg for Suarez) and with the 1+1 logic you use (because if Messi was on a yellow for the Marcelo incident, he'd totally be so dumb to tackle Ramos like that so he can get the 2nd one) it should be 1+1 for Ramos in the Suarez action too. So in your whatif~ism the action between Messi and Ramos doesn't even happen, because with your criteria Ramos gets sent off before that.

Everyone can play "how many players of the other team can I eject with the video", but it's just a waste of time

@Ishdalar on second thought, of course this league trumps the 100 points one. You won in Anoeta :lol:
It only lacked Espanyol being relegated to be the perfect league season for us, but that is out of our power :mad:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Definitely, doesn't go for the ball, has clear intent to hurt the opposition, first with his right foot, then the other, Ramos was lucky that he could move his foot in-time on the first challenge or it might've been a bad injury. Ramos was shown a direct red for less than that just in last year's Clasico, where although he went with both feet and it was reckless, he barely touched Messi.

Even if you're gonna be the most die-hard Messi fanboy and not follow the logic, a 2nd yellow is enough to see him leave that pitch since he punched Marcelo on the back before this incident. Google "Messi blatantly punching Marcelo in the back" and watch it.
Amazing. Neither of that was a red card, not by any means. If you really wanted to, you could give Messi a yellow for the "punch" against Marcelo. But then this match would have ended with maybe three players on the field.

Even comparing any of these two scenes with Ramos' foul on Messi last year is absolutely deluded. Requires being exceptionally biased to mention this scene when Bale wasn't even booked for a really, really bad and intentional tackle against Umtiti.

Referee was bad, but in both directions.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Among Montella's biggest crimes as manager in Sevilla was to never use Roque Mesa, and to use Sandro as a winger. Any ordinary football interested person would put N'Zonzi and Mesa as holding midfielders, with Banega in #10 role in front of them. But noo, that made too much sense, hence why Montella chose the clownish route by picking el Mudo Vazquez as undesputed #10, Sandro as a winger, and the useless Muriel as striker. And then looking at Montella's coaching during the games, it looked like he delibaretly wanted to sabotage our season.

With Caparros, the team and the club is back on track right away. I truly hope we buy Mesa, he will be great for us. And I was so happy to see a normal starting eleven last weekend, with Sandro as striker, and how we fought for those 3p. Last time we played with passion and pride was in autumn of 2016 and January 2017.

Edit: Caparros is coaching the team for free during these last games of the season and he does not want to continue after the season, he believes Sevilla should have fresh start. hope Sevilla board convinces Caparros to stay, or at least keep him in the club.
About Caparrós I am a bit confused. At first I thought he was going to train for free this season, and the next one would be director of football, but then I started reading about other candidates, like Antonio Cordón, or the directo of Genoa. So I do not know exactly what function he would do. Perhaps purely lower categories ?.
About Caparrós as coach I have my doubts, but I am quite influenced by the bad opinion that there is in Coruña about him. There is still people who calls him "the charlatan" when they see him on television. Much pride, team spirit, sacrifice, cojones ... but not too much in the field out ot it, ... So as a neutral I would bet on someone else. Apparently Machín is a very serious candidate.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
What's important about Montella is which team will he train next, I'm going to watch all of his games because he will probably get the dream couple of Muriel and Kalinic as strikers, pure football magic.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
About Caparrós I am a bit confused. At first I thought he was going to train for free this season, and the next one would be director of football, but then I started reading about other candidates, like Antonio Cordón, or the directo of Genoa. So I do not know exactly what function he would do. Perhaps purely lower categories ?.
About Caparrós as coach I have my doubts, but I am quite influenced by the bad opinion that there is in Coruña about him. There is still people who calls him "the charlatan" when they see him on television. Much pride, team spirit, sacrifice, cojones ... but not too much in the field out ot it, ... So as a neutral I would bet on someone else. Apparently Machín is a very serious candidate.
@carvajal
Yeah, the underground talks in Sevilla say that he will be in charge of the youth team; although I am not sure if it is Sevilla Atletico or lower than that. I'd be happy if he stayed in the club but I admit that it might be a step back in his career to take care of the youth. I would rather see him as an ambassador for the club.

Haha, I had no idea that our brothers in Coruña are not so found of him. All I remember from his years there was that Gago's epic (:wenger:) Real Madrid debut vs Deportivo, and that Deportivo back then were not good, but still an irritating team to face.

Sevilla are probably hiring Antonio Cordon as sports director:drool: I think it would be a brilliant choice. He helped build up Villarreal to go from nowhere to become a top 6 club - and he has done decent in Monaco, as he was also part of building the team that won Ligue 1 last season.
I hope we hire Machin !! Love that rumour. :)

And like my bro @PedroMendez, I also hope we sell 95% of our current squad:lol: But as long as Muriel and Vazquez leaves, I'll be relieved.

Crucial game tonight, for us. A must win, whereas Real could not care less; so this is a huge opportunity to gain confidence, before we have the most important derby since the Euro League playoffs years ago.

@Ishdalar What club wants Muriel? Don't give me false hope now, you are getting me excited:lol:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
First one, noone cared as much as having an undefeated season because no one managed to do that so far, it was so rare that you couldn't even hear most people talking about an invincible season because it just wasn't on anyone's mind, not losing once in 38 games is a feat, whatever way you look at it.

Every league, champions league, or world cup title is just a title as any other if you want to look at it like that, and we're not talking about an undefeated 80 points run, we're on route to 93, let's start calling things like they are and not start the downplaying game.

Also, what most people here are failing to notice, this isn't some league run with 5 senses only in the league title, like say one club without Euro competition and falling soon in the Cup would do, it's an invincible season with the team going to the end in the cup and just 3 games short of having a full season of games with the UCL, adds even more weight to the feat.

So, pushing at the height of the neck is a red card offense, but slapping someone in the face is a yellow card?.

That's it, not much to say, with that bias is understandable you think Messi should be out in the Ramos incident, first if we play "what ifs" Ramos has to be shown a yellow for his action with Suarez (Messi "punches" Marcelo in the back? Ramos leaves an elbow and the leg for Suarez) and with the 1+1 logic you use (because if Messi was on a yellow for the Marcelo incident, he'd totally be so dumb to tackle Ramos like that so he can get the 2nd one) it should be 1+1 for Ramos in the Suarez action too. So in your whatif~ism the action between Messi and Ramos doesn't even happen, because with your criteria Ramos gets sent off before that.

Everyone can play "how many players of the other team can I eject with the video", but it's just a waste of time

It only lacked Espanyol being relegated to be the perfect league season for us, but that is out of our power :mad:
A slap? If that's a slap, Messi's move is take-down I suppose.

And it's not what if-ism as firstly, it must've been a direct red, and it would've been the 1st red of the match, it makes a world of difference when one player (their best player in this case) has to leave the pitch in 20 minutes or an opposing player that is not their best to be sent off way later than that, in Ramos' case the best you could argue (and that doesn't mean it'd be necessarily right) would be by 70-80 minutes.

Again how is Saurez' foul on Varane what if-ism when he's already on a yellow and it has to be his 2nd yellow instead of the goal, or penalty by Alba, that even if he had any right to be on the pitch till that time, it must've been his 2nd yellow as well? Neither are 1v1 situations that you're trying to make up

Amazing. Neither of that was a red card, not by any means. If you really wanted to, you could give Messi a yellow for the "punch" against Marcelo. But then this match would have ended with maybe three players on the field.

Even comparing any of these two scenes with Ramos' foul on Messi last year is absolutely deluded. Requires being exceptionally biased to mention this scene when Bale wasn't even booked for a really, really bad and intentional tackle against Umtiti.

Referee was bad, but in both directions.
Ironic coming from the guy with an average of 10 posts per day in Caf's worst thread, making up arguments for his beloved "good boy Messi" and changing the criterias on an hourly basis.

I don't claim to be unbiased, there's no such a thing these days, since even among United's fans (or any other team) there's almost always a tendency towards one of the two teams, except the super rare cases when one hates them both.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rayo Vallecano have been promoted? Great news.
Nearly there, need 7 points from their last four games to confirm things. Aupa Rayo.:drool:

Don't know if the Real Madrid fans are following him but got a young striker from there called Raul De Tomas (wears R.D.T on his shirt) who's scored 20 + goals at Segunda level.

We'll have him back next season thanks.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Dembele has finally arrived to Barcelona :drool:

What a run, Coutinho scores from the rejection.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Cracking stuff from Dembers there. Hopefully we get the real deal next season.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Dembele just needs time, he’s going to be a fantastic buy for Barca

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Madrid are losing 2-0. Are they playing a reserve team ?
Ramos, Nacho, Benzema, Casemiro, Asensio, Kovacic and Lucas Vasquez are playing but they're missing Marcelo, Modric, Kroos and Ronaldo.

Last season their bench was incredible, this season they can't do anything. They're going to spend a lot of money this summer

el3mel

Ramos, Nacho, Benzema, Casemiro, Asensio, Kovacic and Lucas Vasquez are playing but they're missing Marcelo, Modric, Kroos and Ronaldo.

Last season their bench was incredible, this season they can't do anything. They're going to spend a lot of money this summer
Mostly the bench team then, as Ramos, Casemiro and Benzema are the only players who are going to start the final imo.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Ok maybe I'm looking at this all wrong but I am not really seeing much of a big deal being made about Barca going the whole season unbeaten, my question is why not? I fecking can't stand that lot post 2014 but what an achievement. I think La Liga has better quality football than the premier league but this particular Barca side would have lost at least once in the premier league by now this season imo. Despite this, i still feel this team should 100% go down in history as one of the greatest teams of all time. If you disagee, the only question I would ask in return is, Why has no other La Liga team gone undefeated the whole season in recent history? It's a huge achievement.