Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Treble

Read somewhere that City have won all 8 games in which Sane, Jesus and Sterling have started together. Is that true? The pressing they offered against Chelsea was a big factor for City's dominance in that game.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Read somewhere that City have won all 8 games in which Sane, Jesus and Sterling have started together. Is that true? The pressing they offered against Chelsea was a big factor for City's dominance in that game.
This is a good analysis: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2017/10...ull-backs-wingers-to-get-de-bruyne-into-space ...although according to Fabregas it was more because the entire Chelsea team ran an ultramarathon on the morning of the game.

..I don't think Jesus has been on a losing side yet so that stat would make sense.

3lite

This guy is damn menace. His timing, runs, and pace attract so much attention which gives KDB/Silva time on the ball to play that killer pass.

The run that he made today for City's third goal against Napoli was something else, particularly how he got on the ball from Fernandinho's somewhat risky pass.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He was sensational last night.. amazing carrier of the ball

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Looks a nightmare to defend against
I love how he keeps his head high when running at a defender. He never looks at the ball, but always checks his surroundings. Very clever player.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I love how he keeps his head high when running at a defender. He never looks at the ball, but always checks his surroundings. Very clever player.
Definitely, I think his pressing is remarkable- you get the impression he is always going to win the ball

The acceleration and separation from defenders is special

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
This is a good analysis: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2017/10...ull-backs-wingers-to-get-de-bruyne-into-space ...although according to Fabregas it was more because the entire Chelsea team ran an ultramarathon on the morning of the game.

..I don't think Jesus has been on a losing side yet so that stat would make sense.
Yeah this is what City do, push the FB's inside as L/R-sided DM's almost and create overloads in the middle, then you have to bring more players in centrally to combat the overload and press effectively in midfield and this leaves the likes of Sane and Sterling with space out-wide; Pep is all about control up until the final third and then getting the ball to expressive attacking players 1-v-1 and stretching the play.

Chelsea probably should have gone for a more conventional set-up in this game IMO, there was no need for the 3 CB approach when they were being outnumbered elsewhere on the pitch. They could have gone 4-3-3 and prevented the 1v1's outwide, had 3 in midfield pressing the ball and still effectively had a CB spare.

Sure this gives City more chance of retaining the ball in the middle, but in Kante & Bakayoko you have two quick, physical MF's who press brilliantly and would have prevented them time on the ball.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Definitely, I think his pressing is remarkable- you get the impression he is always going to win the ball

The acceleration and separation from defenders is special
Yeah, his pressing is great. It‘s one of City‘s greatest strengths that players like him or KDB actually contribute so much defensively. Thanks to them, they get the ball in the opponents half that often.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looks a nightmare to defend against
Has the potential to be one of the memorable classic outside left winger and a true great of the game. Seems a nice lad as well.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Has the potential to be one of the memorable classic outside left winger and a true great of the game. Seems a nice lad as well.
The less said about that horseshit tattoo of himself the better though.

He looks a fine player, carrying the ball so effortlessly at such speed is an incredible skill.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
So who can give some background on the player? Any Germans to offer some insights into his development? I remember hearing about him with Schalke but I suppose I always thought he was a midfielder

Lyricist

Father was a footballer, mother an Olympic gymnast. They say that’s how he got such incredible athleticism.
I believe he won the u18 Bundesliga with Schalke. Grew up in the Ruhr Valley in Germany.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
So who can give some background on the player? Any Germans to offer some insights into his development? I remember hearing about him with Schalke but I suppose I always thought he was a midfielder
Wiki is as much as I know.

Leroy Sané began playing football in 2001 for the youth team of SG Wattenscheid 09, for which his father played early in his career. In 2005, he joined Schalke 04. Three years later he moved to Bayer 04 Leverkusen. In 2011, Sané returned to the youth academy (Nachwuchsleistungszentrum) of Schalke 04.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Wiki is as much as I know.

Leroy Sané began playing football in 2001 for the youth team of SG Wattenscheid 09, for which his father played early in his career. In 2005, he joined Schalke 04. Three years later he moved to Bayer 04 Leverkusen. In 2011, Sané returned to the youth academy (Nachwuchsleistungszentrum) of Schalke 04.
Yeah I have seen that but surely some here must know more about the player's development path/history.

Ole90+3

He's quality, and only going to get better.

One of my favourite players in the league. From what I've seen, he seems to try and stay on his feet when fouled to continue the flow of the attack. In fact, he's probably missed out on a few penalties being awarded because of this.

Bwuk

Annoyingly good.

He's what a winger should be.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Scored a worldie and was generally devastating at the bernabeu in '15. I wanted Perez to sign him right there and then. :(

SambaBoy

Scored a worldie and was generally devastating at the bernabeu in '15. I wanted Perez to sign him right there and then. :(
I remember watching that game and thinking who is this kid who is terrorising Madrid? I have never heard of him at the time and didn't know how highly rated he was.

stepic

And a bargain at £37m.

Crazy that they have two proper young stars in him and Jesus for under £65m.

Alabaster Codify7

City have managed to accrue several of the type of player we desperately need, to the point that not everyone will be contnet with their amount of game time.

Meanwhile, we seemingly didn't even bother targeting such players, which is quite baffling.

This team is screaming out for a speedy, aggressive winger/attacker who can terrify defences.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The way he harasses & closes down to win possession back is really impressive. I like Hysaj a lot and I don't think I've ever seen him undone so easily, much less repeatedly

As for Jesus @septic, I'm not sure many could confidently predict the sort of impact he'd have coming straight from Brasil at 19 :eek: after being relatively unheard of previously. It's an anomaly, IMHO. I asked Brasilian friends to compare/contrast him & Barbosa since Barcelona were linked to both for a bit. Most seemed to think the latter had the better upside but all the highlights I saw made me think Gabriel was actually the better overall talent. That was all Pep, even the player says so

charlie9882

This team is screaming out for a speedy, aggressive winger/attacker who can terrify defences.
Martial falls into that category, he's just hamstrung by Mourinho. It would be the same for Sane if he was playing for United.

Having a speedy, aggressive winger is all well and good, but it's down to how you deploy them. Having them join the defence to form a back 6 isn't making proper use of a young, attacking talent.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Annoyingly good.

He's what a winger should be.
Do you think Martial in this City side would flourish in a similar way? Sterling and Sane are both playing fantastic stuff and he’d probably be able to have a similar impact in this system.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think he's a naturally more intelligent and natural winger compared to Martial but under Jose playing as a left wing back I don't see him scoring many goals and I think Martial is a greater goal threat but Sane the more natural footballer.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Martial falls into that category, he's just hamstrung by Mourinho. It would be the same for Sane if he was playing for United.

Having a speedy, aggressive winger is all well and good, but it's down to how you deploy them. Having them join the defence to form a back 6 isn't making proper use of a young, attacking talent.
Read this after I made my post. I completely agree. I think you’ve got talented forwards that Mourinho just isn’t getting the best out of. I actually think this United stint could really damage his reputation if he doesn’t get them firing sufficiently in the next 12 months. Same can be said for Pep, but he looks further along the line at the moment in time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't think he'd be as good if he was playing for us.

devil in me

He is absolutely brilliant. Stronger and bigger than people realise too, I think. Reminds me of Ronaldo a bit from 2006/2007 when he was lightening quick, but really strong and powerful.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
My favorite player to watch at the moment. His runs on counters are a thing of beauty, really.
I think he's a naturally more intelligent and natural winger compared to Martial but under Jose playing as a left wing back I don't see him scoring many goals and I think Martial is a greater goal threat but Sane the more natural footballer.
Don't think he'd be as good if he was playing for us.
Having seen him play week in week out, I can confidently say that he’ll do a better job for you guys than what Rashford and Martial are doing currently.

He has it in him to do both, the martial role, i.e cutting inside, taking on defenders and try to slot it home, or play as an out and out pure winger.
His delivery from out wide really took me by surprise. A player like Lukaku could really do with someone putting in fizzing crosses across, either on the ground or in the air.
His set piece delivery has been excellent too, hence why majority of our goals from corners have been delivered by him.

I really like both Sane and Martial, but atm Sane looks to be way ahead in his learning curve, but I hope Martial soon picks up the pace because he has the potential to be one of the best really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do you think Martial in this City side would flourish in a similar way? Sterling and Sane are both playing fantastic stuff and he’d probably be able to have a similar impact in this system.
Indeed. Martial is probably our player that is most suited to Peps system too given his technical quality.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
For some reason I feel like he's really benefiting from a well-functioning team but he himself isn't as good as I figured he'd be. Credits to his off-the-ball movement though, it's excellent.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
My favorite player to watch at the moment. His runs on counters are a thing of beauty, really.

Having seen him play week in week out, I can confidently say that he’ll do a better job for you guys than what Rashford and Martial are doing currently.

He has it in him to do both, the martial role, i.e cutting inside, taking on defenders and try to slot it home, or play as an out and out pure winger.
His delivery from out wide really took me by surprise. A player like Lukaku could really do with someone putting in fizzing crosses across, either on the ground or in the air.
His set piece delivery has been excellent too, hence why majority of our goals from corners have been delivered by him.

I really like both Sane and Martial, but atm Sane looks to be way ahead in his learning curve, but I hope Martial soon picks up the pace because he has the potential to be one of the best really.
He wouldn't simply because he'd be burdened with more defensive responsibility.
It's an argument for another day but I'm positive Martial and Rashford would be tearing shit up in that City side. Especially Martial.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
For some reason I feel like he's really benefiting from a well-functioning team but he himself isn't as good as I figured he'd be. Credits to his off-the-ball movement though, it's excellent.
Really surprised by that view given his performances. I’m not sure what your expectations were but having watched every minute of City since he joined I’d argue he’s our most exciting player in terms of raw talent. I’ve been saying he has a higher ceiling than Jesus for a while now.

Bwuk

Hard to tell. Sane and Sterling are more wingers than Martial, who's more of a wide forward imo. Think in the City side he'd be upfront.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
What has to be admired about this city team(apart from the tiki-taka) is the fact that they never went overboard while purchasing any of their players. Their costliest buy is De Bruyne, who at 55m was probably in the reach of most of the English top 6.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Really surprised by that view given his performances. I’m not sure what your expectations were but having watched every minute of City since he joined I’d argue he’s our most exciting player in terms of raw talent. I’ve been saying he has a higher ceiling than Jesus for a while now.
Can't say I've watched him a lot, just the odd City highlight and some televised games against the top 6 but I feel like he lacks a bit of in-game IQ. Small sample size though so take my opinion with a grain of salt.