Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am not sure if Rashford or Martial is a better player than him, but if I were to choose one for left wing, Sane will easily be my first choice.

Oooh_aaah_cantona

Indeed. Martial is probably our player that is most suited to Peps system too given his technical quality.
Agree with Martial technical quality, but his movement is lacking to play in Pep system. Whether can be improved with coaching or just a better system.. I’m not sure about that either

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Do you think Martial in this City side would flourish in a similar way? Sterling and Sane are both playing fantastic stuff and he’d probably be able to have a similar impact in this system.
Think Martial would be tearing the league up if he was at City. Like a very consistent goalscorer, and creating loads of chances. He's up there with hazard at dribbling past players 1v1 IMO, and City get wingers in those positions very often. Sane is an actual winger while martial obviously cuts in a lot more, but I have no doubt that he'd be starting every week for City. Should be for United too, but Mourinho has his ways I guess.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's great. Probably, in my opinion, Citys best attacker this season out of himself/Jesus/Aguero/Sterling. I think Martial is still as good, if not better than him at his best, but if someone were to say otherwise I could definitely see where they were coming from.

Moby

Dick
I think it's similar to how Pedro was at Barca under Pep and he looked incredibly effective playing in that system that was overflowing with creativity and movement. At City he has a similar creative supply from Silva and De Bruyne with a bunch of attacking players to feed off.

If you put him in this current United team in the role Rashford or Martial are playing where he will get little creativity and service from midfield and will most of the time have to break down a defense all on his own I doubt he will perform much better than Rashford, or even at par with him in those situations.

Needham

Post-Fergie we've missed out on most of the best buys and splurged on the sub par.

Canagel

Martial would have to up his movement though. And stop always cutting inside.
I agree he has to improve his movement but he doesn't need to stop cutting inside. Pep doesn't really care as long as you find yourself in a 1 v 1 situation. He had Messi cutting in from the left although later he moved to the false 9 position and after he had Robben and Ribery cutting in as well at Bayern and they are instrumental to the making the system work because they have to be able to create not only dribble. Martial is of the same type as these players because of his dribbling ability. He can take out 2 or 3 players out of the game in one movement. Sane and Sterling are not as good dribblers as the players I mentioned and that is why Pep sets up the team to get them running into space and isolate their fullbacks. The best way do this is put the left footed player on the left and the right footed one on the right and make them stretch the opposition fullbacks. This creates gaps for the midfielders and the striker is in the perfect position for a tap in if the cross is good. City seem to score tap ins almost every game and that is the result of good management. Martial is better than both of them because he is racking up similar stats despite playing in a set up that isn't getting the best out of him and in despite playing considerably less minutes which is very impressive.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
All players up their movement under Pep, it's why his attackers are all so effective. He often says football is all about movement.
Could be true but Sane and Sterling were always players who attack the space with good movement even at Schalke and Liverpool. With de Bruyne being able to utilize the space sinds Bremen basically, it is a perfect combination. They score more counter goals than we do fwiw.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I agree he has to improve his movement but he doesn't need to stop cutting inside. Pep doesn't really care as long as you find yourself in a 1 v 1 situation. He had Messi cutting in from the left although later he moved to the false 9 position and after he had Robben and Ribery cutting in as well at Bayern and they are instrumental to the making the system work because they have to be able to create not only dribble. Martial is of the same type as these players because of his dribbling ability. He can take out 2 or 3 players out of the game in one movement. Sane and Sterling are not as good dribblers as the players I mentioned and that is why Pep sets up the team to get them running into space and isolate their fullbacks. The best way do this is put the left footed player on the left and the right footed one on the right and make them stretch the opposition fullbacks. This creates gaps for the midfielders and the striker is in the perfect position for a tap in if the cross is good. City seem to score tap ins almost every game and that is the result of good management. Martial is better than both of them because he is racking up similar stats despite playing in a set up that isn't getting the best out of him and in despite playing considerably less minutes which is very impressive.
I said always cutting inside, he needs to go outside and put in a cross or lay off more times. It would make him less predictable and more effective.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I think it's similar to how Pedro was at Barca under Pep and he looked incredibly effective playing in that system that was overflowing with creativity and movement. At City he has a similar creative supply from Silva and De Bruyne with a bunch of attacking players to feed off.
Well, at the heart of it, this City side under Pep create more scoring chances from the channels whereas the Barca side were able to do this from either the channels or middle - that's really the last part of Pep's vision for City, getting more creatitivity/dribbling through the middle of that attacking third

But I agree, Leroy is incredibly valuable to what City do. You couple that with Sterling's improvement on the right and City don't need to delay too much in the buildup as either can beat their man 9/10. Similar to Pedro, Sane also is better at attacking the space in scoring positions whereas Raheem seems to be less natural at it. I just love his game, even his freekicks - you really get the sense that even bigger things are ahead for him. Gotta applaud the impact Guardiola has had on a player of his caliber

Righteous Steps

I think he's a naturally more intelligent and natural winger compared to Martial but under Jose playing as a left wing back I don't see him scoring many goals and I think Martial is a greater goal threat but Sane the more natural footballer.
Could be more intelligent, but no chance he is a more 'natural footballer' than Martial. If by that you mean how effortlessly and easy a player executes techniques then Martial is ahead, he is the more graceful footballer, better touch, better dribbling and really the only aspect of his game where Sane excels more is in his movement, he also has the best manager around for coaching a highly talented young attacking player, something Martial on the flip side doesn't have the benefit of having.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Could be more intelligent, but no chance he is a more 'natural footballer' than Martial. If by that you mean how effortlessly and easy a player executes techniques then Martial is ahead, he is the more graceful footballer, better touch, better dribbling and really the only aspect of his game where Sane excels more is in his movement, he also has the best manager around for coaching a highly talented young attacking player, something Martial on the flip side doesn't have the benefit of having.
I agree with what you say my point is more that Sane has a naturally better sense for where to move and when to pass and that is being improved even further under Pep whereas Martial for all his natural technical talent does need alot of hand holding positionallly and is in desperate need of a Pep like manager to take his game to the next level.

Trizy

What has to be admired about this city team(apart from the tiki-taka) is the fact that they never went overboard while purchasing any of their players. Their costliest buy is De Bruyne, who at 55m was probably in the reach of most of the English top 6.
Massive money to pay for a player who had one good season. I'm sure all top clubs were watching him but didn't want to risk 55m on him at the time.

Having said that, I rated him even at his Chelsea stint. Wanted us to go all out and sign him :(

stepic

Post-Fergie we've missed out on most of the best buys and splurged on the sub par.
Yep. City's signings in the last 3 windows, starting with De Bruyne have been pretty inspired.

De Bruyne, Sane, Jesus, Gundogan, Mendy, Walker, Ederson, B.Silva, even Sterling and Stones have come good. That's practically a new starting 11 in the time since Fergie left. We have no excuse for still relying on some of the players we do.

AshRK

Yep. City's signings in the last 3 windows, starting with De Bruyne have been pretty inspired.

De Bruyne, Sane, Jesus, Gundogan, Mendy, Walker, Ederson, B.Silva, even Sterling and Stones have come good. That's practically a new starting 11 in the time since Fergie left. We have no excuse for still relying on some of the players we do.
This is a very good point and some here still justify how valuable Ashley Young is to our team/

Darkhorsez

I was wondering about that too. We’ve got similar buying power(although they seem to be ahead as they have an open cheque book it seems) and we have a far richer history. I thought it could be because of the city of Manchester - players may be preferring London clubs etc but how comes City manage to have more appeal. There is the manager side of it. But now that we have Mou and we are in Champions League, we should be able attract more. Matic, Pogba etc won’t have signed if not for Mou.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

yep, just looked at our last few windows, there is only really Nolito and Claudio Bravo who really haven't worked out, rest have been sold on for profit or are youngsters being loaned out, then you look at the years 12/13 13/14 and 14/15 and we purchased some gunk and there is only Fernandinho left out of those years, hopefully lessons have been learned and now we'll not be making wholesale changes every season just 2 or 3 transfers to keep the squad fresh each year

padr81

Supports
Man City

I think this is to do with starting points. Pep knew what he needed to compliment the core already there Silva, KdB, Kun, Kompany, Otamendi. Jose for his part had the smaller pieces Pep needed to buy but had to buy said core Bailly, Pogba, Zlatan, Lukaku, Matic so started slightly behind.

In reality only Pep's spending at City has been good and there have been excpetions in Bravo and Nolito, our signings under Pelligrini (KDB aside) were shocking and were clearly signings with no clear thought or long term planning and more Pellers going "I like him lets buy him". United had similar with Moyes panic buys and LVG (quite strangely) was buying very hit or miss.

I have no doubt Jose pretty much has bought his spine of the new United now and will add the complimentary players Pep has if he sticks around. Uniteds core is now much stronger than at any time in the last few seasons, arguably stronger then Fergies team that took on Mancini. DDG, Bailly, Matic, Pogba, Lukaku, Zlatan thats a strong centre right there. Its fullbacks he needs to get right and dare I say an upgrade on Mkhi who flatters to decieve.

We at City have spunked a lot of money particularly during Pellers era to assemble this squad and he really did take the squad backwards in 3 years, easily as much if not more than Moyes and LVG did at United. Mangala, Navas, Jovetic, Negredo, Demechilis, Fernando, Sagna, Zucilini, Bony. Thats a serious amount of money wasted while dismantling Mancini's squad and knocking back our progress, dare I say we'd have another title had he not taken us so far back.

Up until Pep refreshed City we were relying on Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy, Toure, Silva, Aguero. All players signed by or before Mancini arrived at the club which was why we struggled so much after his first season, we were just lucky our early 2009-11 buys were so good that they could be the core of the team for so long. All that remains of that core now is Aguero and Silva.

Current United seem to be where we were last season and I think this summer will be the major refresh.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
I think this is to do with starting points. Pep knew what he needed to compliment the core already there Silva, KdB, Kun, Kompany, Otamendi. Jose for his part had the smaller pieces Pep needed to buy but had to buy said core Bailly, Pogba, Zlatan, Lukaku, Matic so started slightly behind.

In reality only Pep's spending at City has been good and there have been excpetions in Bravo and Nolito, our signings under Pelligrini (KDB aside) were shocking and were clearly signings with no clear thought or long term planning and more Pellers going "I like him lets buy him". United had similar with Moyes panic buys and LVG (quite strangely) was buying very hit or miss.

I have no doubt Jose pretty much has bought his spine of the new United now and will add the complimentary players Pep has if he sticks around. Uniteds core is now much stronger than at any time in the last few seasons, arguably stronger then Fergies team that took on Mancini. DDG, Bailly, Matic, Pogba, Lukaku, Zlatan thats a strong centre right there. Its fullbacks he needs to get right and dare I say an upgrade on Mkhi who flatters to decieve.

We at City have spunked a lot of money particularly during Pellers era to assemble this squad and he really did take the squad backwards in 3 years, easily as much if not more than Moyes and LVG did at United. Mangala, Navas, Jovetic, Negredo, Demechilis, Fernando, Sagna, Zucilini, Bony. Thats a serious amount of money wasted while dismantling Mancini's squad and knocking back our progress, dare I say we'd have another title had he not taken us so far back.

Up until Pep refreshed City we were relying on Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy, Toure, Silva, Aguero. All players signed by or before Mancini arrived at the club which was why we struggled so much after his first season, we were just lucky our early 2009-11 buys were so good that they could be the core of the team for so long. All that remains of that core now is Aguero and Silva.

Current United seem to be where we were last season and I think this summer will be the major refresh.
Im actually livid you forgot to mention Dinho anywhere in that whole paragraph, what an absolute gem he is.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Im actually livid you forgot to mention Dinho anywhere in that whole paragraph, what an absolute gem he is.
I think its a given he was a top signing, like kdb. He's just not part of the old core under mancini so was nowhere to fit him in.

Tillo

Ginter trying to channel his inner Kroos. Now I've seen it all.

Frank Grimes

It's a lot easier when you have an open cheque book. Them and PSG are not really football clubs in the traditional sense.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City

It's a lot easier when you have an open cheque book. Them and PSG are not really football clubs in the traditional sense.
I think it is fair to say both of our clubs have the ability to spend massive amounts of money and have both exercised that ability of late. I do not want to make this an argument of how much, net spend, wages or where the money has come from. Yes, City has spent more in the past three windows. I think saying we have just thrown money around to get the players quoted by Septic is over simplifying it though. We have done very well with not many flops in the last three windows and I think they also represent value. I have compared those players quoted by Septic with their equivalents from United bought in he last three years. Some positions do not have an equivalent. Yes, I do realize United and City have bought other players both successful and flops. Just compared the players mentioned by Septic. The sum of players that could be compared directly was City 263 vs United 236.7 +7.

Benjamin Mendy 52 vs Darmian 12.7
John Stones 47.5 vs Baily 30
Leroy Sané 37 vs Martial 43+7 once he makes 25 caps
Gabriel Jesus 27 vs Lukaku 75
Kevin De Bruyne 55 vs Pogba 89
Raheem Sterling 44 vs Mkhitaryan 30
Kyle Walker 45
Bernardo Silva 43
Ederson 35

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Open checkbook is now a load of bollox, if we had an open checkbook we'd have just bought Johnny Evans And Sanchez and not quibbled about a, few million here and there

redahair

Hold on a minute we have spent bucket loads on absolute dross for the last few seasons if we scouted better then it would be easier.city have spent well credit where credit is due.we cant keep going on about money its ridiculous when we paid vast sums for pogba, martial, miki and lukaku and lindeloff.all utd need is a decent couple of wide players and a midfield creator like ozil.get back to 442 and play rashford and lukaku up top.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Hold on a minute we have spent bucket loads on absolute dross for the last few seasons if we scouted better then it would be easier.city have spent well credit where credit is due.we cant keep going on about money its ridiculous when we paid vast sums for pogba, martial, miki and lukaku and lindeloff.all utd need is a decent couple of wide players and a midfield creator like ozil.get back to 442 and play rashford and lukaku up top.
What are you going to do with Özil when you play 442?

Frank Grimes

Rio, Ruud and Juan agree with this sentiment.

Your comment is however correct for the initial years after the takeover - a club almost in administration.

Doing Anything else would show ADUG as incompetent, short-termist and near sighted.

Now, and for the past 5 years or so, your comments are just plain wrong.

ADUG is reaping the benefits of a global and local longterm business strategy, that began with the inevitable investment, and is now self sustaining.

City got a lucky break that is required to help push any team onwards.
That's the understatement of the century.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not sure I agree fully with this! Yes they have bought well with Sane KDB Jesus and their new GK but these are all world record territory players for players of their profiles. They just chucked in the region of £150m on three full backs. This is unprecedented spending and picking players up at these prices is hardly going to get you a bad player and if they do like Bravo for instance (world record for a 30+ Gk) the following season they fork out another world record on another GK to replace him. So if you look deeper they have had many failures who are still at the club or sold or loaned for a loss. But their ability to keep buying covers this and is a great strength of theirs at the present.
Let’s not pretend United didn’t have this as we did and still do to a lesser extent over the likes of say Liverpool and Arsenal and Spurs.

Charles Miller

What are you going to do with Özil when you play 442?
We could play a very solid 4-4-2 without Ozil imo.
Mata Pogba Matic Martial
Rashford Lukaku

I know many think Martial is not disciplined enough but i think he can do the job in the defense and still be a permanent threat in attack in that system if we sign a defensive LB to free him.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
City is a lot of thing, self sustaining it isn’t. If the Sheiks left tomorrow, everything would break apart. Without them they are nothing.
Oh my god.

It’s like a broken record, endlessly repeating the same bollox.

Next year will be the 10th anniversary of the phrase ‘if the sheiks left tommorow’.
Along with so many other blinkered ‘classics’.

- and as an aside why say it that way? Derogatory? racist? Shall I come out with ‘the American Jewish offshore market stall holders are fleecing United?’ No.

If they did leave, they’d be selling a longterm, profitable, professional, global, successful, asset rich investment vehicle, self sustaining enterprise.
So why the F would an intelligent businessman want to sell it?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Can we get back onto Leroy on this thread, this yes no cock waving stuff can go in the city thread

YetAnotherCityFan

Supports
Manchester City
Fernandinho is such a good player and unless you watch him every game it's hard to really appreciate him because he has a few awful matches from time to time.

I think of Sané as the inverse of that. He has some wonderful games but equally some really ineffective performances and if all you really see is highlights it's easy to get carried away.

For now I think Sterling is the better player because he has the consistency that Sané hasn't found yet. Once Sané can play like this every game, however, he could be as good as Robben. Some are saying he'll hit CR7 levels but I personally don't see that happening.