Lingard: RedCafe Enemy #1?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
He's a decent squad member who works hard and seems to score at some important times.

However, he is not remotely close to being a regular started in my eyes. He's okay at everything without being great at anything. You can't have great players throughout the entire squad...but he should not be a regular started for us.

An Irish Red

Lingard is a superb player.
Everton (Mirallas and Bolasie), Crystal Palace (Zaha), Leicester (Mahrez), Newcastle (Atsu), Stoke (Shaqiri), Swansea (Sigurdsson) and West Ham (Lanzini and Arnautovic) all have better attackers than him.

The bigger sides all have multiple better options meaning the majority of teams in this league have better attackers than Lingard. He's rank average is what he is.

fellaini's barber

Don't know why you need to make it personal. He's a mediocre footballer who will end up at a team in the bottom half of the table within a couple years. Most of us can see this. Doesn't mean we hate the guy, or he's a "public enemy", or he's a scapegoat, or we have an agenda. That's making it personal and throwing such accusations around is childish.

Fact is not every player we have is good enough. It's OK to acknowledge that and be critical of them as players. Doesn't mean we hate them and want a public execution ffs. Just means we want to see better players at United so our team performs better and we get back to competing in the CL with the best teams, like we used to.
Couldn't have put it better myself. An average/shit player will be called average/shit. Don't know why people want to make a big conspiracy out of it

Acquire Me

Everton (Mirallas and Bolasie), Crystal Palace (Zaha), Leicester (Mahrez), Newcastle (Atsu), Stoke (Shaqiri), Swansea (Sigurdsson) and West Ham (Lanzini and Arnautovic) all have better attackers than him.

The bigger sides all have multiple better options meaning the majority of teams in this league have better attackers than Lingard. He's rank average is what he is.
That's your opinion.

DevilRed

Lingard reminds me of Fletcher. Will only come to be appreciated when he starts hitting his peak years.

Does alot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed by fans but appreciated by Managers.

Scores/contributes at key moments in big matches.

Ubermensch

With the exception of Madrid, would we argue about having every "squad player" that Bayern & Barca have? I mean, you reckon Barca's Rafinha would come straight into our 11? You think Gnabry would come straight into our 11? The answer would be no.
Gnabry doesn't consistently play in the first team which is my point. Rafinha is decent.

SirScholes

Lingard reminds me of Fletcher. Will only come to be appreciated when he starts hitting his peak years.

Does alot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed by fans but appreciated by Managers.

no, fletcher did the dirty work that a player like him needs to do, thats his m/o when it comes to matches, this is the opposite of what lingard needs. Lingard needs to be able to impact on matches in an offensive way and he is utter shite at this

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Not a chance would we have been as good as we were today if he had been on the pitch.

I dont hate him, I just dont want him playing for us when we have so many better options as it is.

The_Order

I like Lingard - he gives hope to all Academy lads out there who might not possess the prodigious talent you'll find a Rashford type. But Jose sort of hangs him out to dry every now and then. Yes, I understand he is a Wembley master against sides like Southampton, Leicester and Crystal Palace.

However, when the likes of Martial are dropped in his favour against the likes of Real Madrid - that got me annoyed - he was exposed as a bit of a fraud out there last Tuesday, he ran a bit but provided absolutely nothing. The frustration comes from knowing that in moments of dire needs, he is not the one who will provide that moment of magic - whilst the likes of Martial can.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

Are you a manager or are you just assuming this is the case? I've never even heard a Pundit say that Lingard is a great player for a manager to have at his disposal. Would love to see some insight into it, if you can find any.

bri2013

Some of the other players haven't played to their ability, accepted, but even at their below par level they produce and offer more than Lingard. However, Lingard week in , week out produces poor performances but continues to get picked whether he performs or not, the others have one poor match and lose their place.
The expectations of the others are higher but that shouldn't mean that the default choice is Lingard, this is the biggest gripe of most people.

I think all United fans would be over the moon if Lingard produces consistently good performances but it never has been the case and highly unlikely it ever will be the case and like others I want United to be successful but my heart sinks every time he's in the starting line-up. I don't have favourite players that I want to lead us to victory , I don't care which of them does it but if he plays as often as he has during the last two seasons we are not going to be challenging for the title this season and at this point in time this is the most important thing for the club.
Paul the Wolf
Male, from Nouvelle Aquitaine, France. Aka Paul the Pogba
If Lingard can get a game for United, then so could I

If you really could get a game for United, then maybe, I would listen to you. As it is, Mourinho picks him to do a job. Whether or not he does that job is open to debate but he does keep playing him. That would suggest that he is doing what he is being asked to do.

I am not a massive fan of Lingard, but, like Fellaini, he keeps getting games ahead of more talented players.

I guess the bigger issue is, do you think you can do a better job than Mourinho?

phepheshane

That game he had against Chelsea at OT last season though...he was electric!
If only he could replicate that kind of performance in at least 80% of the games he played.

mattunited1978

doommonger
What I don't understand is, how you can slate a player and support him at the same time? Also, how can he be so poor and be in a team that has picked up trophies in the past couple of years? He's not just been a bit part player, he's been an integral player.

If I'm doing Butt and Fletcher such a disservice, why did these guys not go to a league challenging team? Because like I said earlier, players like Jesse, Fletcher & Butt etc are more valuable to us, than they're to other top 6 teams. They're really good squad players. Without such players, you won't win trophies.

Like I say, I really don't understand why Jesse gets so much stick?! But of course, everyone has their own opinion on players, just like I do. But I'm a, "half glass full" kind of guy. I'll always try and see the best in our players. Rather than see what they don't bring to the team, I'll look at what they do bring.
Plenty of poor players have won trophys over the years,look at the liverpool squad who won there laughable version of the treble which are basicly the trophys we'v won these last two years,theres some woeful players who played a lot of games in that squad.
Im not slating him,im commenting in a jesse lingard thread that i dont rate him as a good enough player for our club,im not callin him names,im not saying i hate him and im not goin on his twitter or whatever else giving him grief. Its ok not to rate a player at your club,im sure every fan of every team in the world has players they dont rate.
Fletcher and butt were already at a league and champions league challenging team,they didnt need to move they were already doing it at the very highest level,both made the pfa team of the year,won multiple premier league titles and were integral parts in runs to champions leagues finals whilst at united....I dont think jesse deserves to be put alongside them just yet.
We'v just got differant opinions on lingard,nothing wrong with that its what makes the forum a good crack.

King_Cantona07

He won't fletcher was a midfielder and lack of creativity was fine while lingard is attacking midfielder and for him goals assists is what matter. He's not the one to break up play or set tempo from middle like a central midfielder would do like fletcher.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm just not a fan. he dos not do enough on the pitch. given the stick rooney used to take, this guy escapes lightly. I've seen no improvement from him at any time but I don't have an enemy #1 at the club

spiriticon

Am I the only one who doesn't see Lingard as an attacking midfielder?

I think he's more like Park. Defensive Winger or that kind of thing.

People appreciated Park so I don't see why Lingard is so unappreciated.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Am I the only only who doesn't see Lingard as an attacking midfielder?

I think he's more like Park. Defensive Winger or that kind of thing.

People appreciated Park so I don't see why Lingard is so unappreciated.
Park was a part of title winning sides and seemed to have unlimited energy, I think if United start winning titles with Lingard in the team he might be more appreciated.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
From what I've noticed and it might just be me but is the amount of hate for Lingard on here warranted?

In recent threads Lingard's name has not been mentioned in many positive contexts, I would go so far as to say that Lingard is now the most despised United player on here even more so than Fellaini. I'm not a big Lingard fan but I can definitely appreciate the times when he comes in and does a job defensively or tactically. Furthermore he's made some big contributions in big games.

I do hope we replace him with a more talented winger but I think he's good enough to be squad player who is occasionally used when needed. Mou trusts him, the lads love him and he's virtually a local lad.
He is the new Fletcher 2006 and Fellaini 2014

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It has to be one of the most nepotistic professions on the planet. Almost every manager is an ex pro, almost all of whom were taken out of school at an early age and generally have very low education levels. .....
Your level of formal education is utterly irrelavant to your ability to understand football at coaching level.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He is the new Fletcher 2006 and Fellaini 2014
Correct. Fletch shut everybody up shortly after and big Marouane has made his first baby steps to becoming a (non-starting, off the bench, ball-juggling, feather-ruffling) cult hero. Hopefully, Jesse will find a path to redemption in here too.

spiriticon

Park was a part of title winning sides and seemed to have unlimited energy, I think if United start winning titles with Lingard in the team he might be more appreciated.
If Lingard is moved on (god forbid), I would love to see Martial or Mikhitaryan play the defensive winger role. And then cry in silence as we concede 4.

Craig Ward

Disagree, Fletchers role was to be a work horse in midfield, to allow the more creative players to get on the ball and damage the opposition.

Fletcher also had other attributes bar his workrate, to make him a valuable member of our midfield.

Now with Lingard, his biggest attribute is by far his workrate, which is a good thing to have, the issue is that's where it kinda ends for Lingard. His goal return is pretty abysmal, think it was 1 last year in the league. His assist stat is also poor. As an attacking player, he simply does not offer anything of significance.

Yes he's a local lad, yes he is a decent option to have around the squad, yes he runs around a lot which is fine. A few wembley goals is great, but long term he has barely improved since coming into the team. The fact is we have better players than him who should start ahead of him.

He is not good enough to warrant a starting place in a Manchester United team.

If we put him up for sale, his level of interest would be the likes of West Ham, Stoke, West Brom. Mid to bottom of the table is his level.

spiriticon

He's not a regular starter for United though is he? He starts maybe a third? At most half the games?

He'll probably start the big games because those are the ones we need more defensive solidarity in. Its not rocket science.

Robbie Boy

If we force Martial or Mikitaryan to play that role I bet it won't turn out good.
Conversely, when Lingard plays he stifles our attack far more than the other two you mentioned. He's grand to use in bigger games as a tactical pawn and he will do as he's told and work hard. I was glad he didn't start yesterday as often in those kind of games where we dominate, he struggles to create anything. He's much better being used in the bigger games as a defensive minded player.

Unmutual

I dont think Lingard is first team quality, but I do think he's helpful in a squad context. It sounds like damning him with faint praise, but we need players to play in the league cup and FA Cup, or to see out matches where we're ahead and give other players a rest. Indeed, if we were 1-0 up away from home and clinging on for 5 desperate minutes, I'd rather see him on the pitch than Martial. His work rate isnt in question. He's a useful person to keep around.

spiriticon

Conversely, when Lingard plays he stifles our attack far more than the other two you mentioned. He's grand to use in bigger games as a tactical pawn and he will do as he's told and work hard. I was glad he didn't start yesterday as often in those kind of games where we dominate, he struggles to create anything. He's much better being used in the bigger games as a defensive minded player.
You're right, he isn't as good at contributing to the attack as the others. And that's probably why he didn't start vs West Ham at home. He has a different role to the other 'forward' players at the club and people have got to appreciate that.