Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Ok in first half with a great pass or two. Started second half badly with losing a battle and after that he seemed a bit nervous and cleared the ball for no reason, misplaced passes etc. Looked a bit rusty which is understandable.

footballbite

It's understandable given it was his first game back, but still - it was a concerning performance given City are up next if he's expected to start.

GueRed

Understandably looked really rusty and slightly off the pace last night.

Got shunted about aerially and uncharacteristically was sloppy on the ball.

With City coming up he desperately needed those 90 minutes though..

Hopefully he'll be a lot sharper by then.

poleglass red

Looked poor if I'm being honest. That's why the length of time it has taken him to come back playing is frustrating and strange. Has he been carrying an injury we don't know about, we've had a bunch of games since the world cup that haven't been too tough that he could have featured in.I don't think it was ETH giving him a rest post world cup, if anyone needed a rest it was Varane and he has featured more. Him going into the City game off that isn't ideal.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

Never judge a player after every match…they will always be up and down.

The mood in the dressing you will be completely different on Saturday morning.

Let’s see how he plays against City, the memory of the first game wasn’t a good one for the back 4.

croadyman

Obviously we won't get any DM cover for Casemiro in this window,therefore should he be tried there in some lower level games

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Lets say I was. So what happened?
Well he went on his holidays to the Middle East, he had a whale of time, so much so he was allowed to take part in the world's biggest party, got stuck in the world's biggest traffic jam, probably got rat-arsed like any normal person and was a bit jet-lagged when he got back. Now if it had been Rashford, Shaw and Maguire doing that, the party would still be going on

mu4c_20le

Well he went on his holidays to the Middle East, he had a whale of time, so much so he was allowed to take part in the world's biggest party, got stuck in the world's biggest traffic jam, probably got rat-arsed like any normal person and was a bit jet-lagged when he got back. Now if it had been Rashford, Shaw and Maguire doing that, the party would still be going on
That's all well and fine but Enzo played the entire two hours in the final and returned to play a full match on New Years Eve for Benfica. I remember Conte gave all his WC boys one game off on boxing day. Old man Otamendi also returned on the 31st. Thats why people are wondering if he's carrying a knock.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's all well and fine but Enzo played the entire two hours in the final and returned to play a full match on New Years Eve for Benfica. I remember Conte gave all his WC boys one game off on boxing day. Old man Otamendi also returned on the 31st. Thats why people are wondering if he's carrying a knock.
I think it's more likely that Ten Hag is just very exacting on fitness standards (see also, the Sancho situation and how long it took Casemiro to begin playing full games for us).

If you're not at the absolute peak of your fitness, you don't play for Ten Hag, and it's reasonable to think Martinez wouldn't have been back at his athletic peak until now.

mu4c_20le

I think it's more likely that Ten Hag is just very exacting on fitness standards (see also, the Sancho situation and how long it took Casemiro to begin playing full games for us).

If you're not at the absolute peak of your fitness, you don't play for Ten Hag, and it's reasonable to think Martinez wouldn't have been back at his athletic peak until now.
Yeah that makes more sense. Still, I remember he cut short his holiday to come back to training early, he must've reaaaaally let himself go during those parties!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yeah that makes more sense. Still, I remember he cut short his holiday to come back to training early, he must've reaaaaally let himself go during those parties!
He'll have done what most of us would have done, in fact most of us have probably done what he did on a mundane Xmas or New Years!

Blood Mage

Doesn't look ready for City does he, very rusty. Varane being next to him instead of Maguire will help of course.

SATA

Have a feeling Shaw will probably play at left centre back against City, which means Malacia will be at left back which I don’t really like to see yet. Shaw is such an attacking outlet when he plays left back. Licha is too rusty and probably still on a hangover and Erik won’t risk that against City’s attack

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Have a feeling Shaw will probably play at left centre back against City, which means Malacia will be at left back which I don’t really like to see yet. Shaw is such an attacking outlet when he plays left back. Licha is too rusty and probably still on a hangover and Erik won’t risk that against City’s attack
R.I.P.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Doesn't look ready for City does he, very rusty. Varane being next to him instead of Maguire will help of course.
He was fine in the first half and went to sleep like the rest of the team in the second, you're all making mountains out of molehills!

FujiVice

He hasnt played regularly since November. Maguire not replacing him might as well be the handing of walking papers, though.

El Jefe

Sounds like a weird comment when Fred is a starter, who hasn’t played 90 min in a long time.
Fred has featured in many matches since the break, Martinez hasn't. He also didn't play in the final of the WC, so EtH is right

footballbite

Is he injured?
As a few above in this thread commented, including myself, he understandably looked a bit rusty against Charlton still - starting him against such a strong City side when he isn't yet 100% would have been asking for trouble.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
As a few above in this thread commented, including myself, he understandably looked a bit rusty against Charlton still - starting him against such a strong City side when he isn't yet 100% would have been asking for trouble.
Yeah Eric probably made the right choice.

A-man

Fred has featured in many matches since the break, Martinez hasn't. He also didn't play in the final of the WC, so EtH is right
Yes Fred had played slightly more it except 60 min against Charlton, it a few minutes here and there. But Martinez looked poor last game especially considering it was Charlton so obviously he didn’t pass the test.

A-man

Luke shaw is the same height though.
Shaw is 10 cm taller isnt he?
And quite ok in the air at least for a full back. Martinez struggled in the air last game, lost 3 aerials and won 1 so maybe that also plays a role in the decision.

Man Utd 2:1 Man City

Bobski

It might take a while to get mentally right and fully switched on again after the WC. Wouldn't even blame him, it was an historic moment, the peak of his career and just to go back into the grind a couple of weeks later can't be easy. Challenge for a lot of players after the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.