Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

Agreed. This guy is the least of our worries.
It is not a worry, just think with Shaw playing as he is and Maguire being a better option for certain games than given credit for, there is no need to rush him back in immediately.

jem

It is not a worry, just think with Shaw playing as he is and Maguire being a better option for certain games than given credit for, there is no need to rush him back in immediately.
Agreed - I don't think the poster to whom I was responding was accusing you of exaggeration (at least I don't think they were.)

poleglass red

Be interesting how ETH handles this. AWB, Malacia and Shaw just had very good performances in a match where we beat City. None of them would be considered the 1st choice in the positions they played in. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to change that, we punish poor performances by dropping players, so we should reward good performances by keeping those players in the team. Competition is good. I still think long term Shaw at left back is the way to go, but his pace a central defence is a nice security to have. Martinez might find it hard to get back in, I wouldn't start him v Arsenal.

jem

Be interesting how ETH handles this. AWB, Malacia and Shaw just had very good performances in a match where we beat City. None of them would be considered the 1st choice in the positions they played in. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to change that, we punish poor performances by dropping players, so we should reward good performances by keeping those players in the team. Competition is good. I still think long term Shaw at left back is the way to go, but his pace a central defence is a nice security to have. Martinez might find it hard to get back in, I wouldn't start him v Arsenal.
I think Shaw needs to go back to LB for the Arsenal game. I love Malacia but I fear what Saka might do to him.

Mike Smalling

I don't think it's particularly controversial, to be honest. Get Shaw back on left-back, where he is significantly better than Malacia, and get Martinez back in the central defense. Him and Varane need to continue to build their partnership, and there should be no long-term plan to convert Shaw to a CB. Malacia is a player in development, and will understand he is in and out of the team. Martinez is one of the leaders and was a catalyst in changing the mentality of the defense.

RuudTom83

At the start of the season when its 1 game a week then you could spend time arguing who should and shouldn't start...but that doesn't really apply now with a game every 3 days.

Martinez is a class act. Shaw is in great form. Both will get loads of minutes, same goes for AWB and Dalot.

Some fans just look for negatives when there is literally none.

FujiVice

11 clean sheets this season with him starting. Hasnt played regularly since November. He wasnt dropped. Varane and Martinez are the first choice centre halves.

Coxy

I don't think it's particularly controversial, to be honest. Get Shaw back on left-back, where he is significantly better than Malacia, and get Martinez back in the central defense. Him and Varane need to continue to build their partnership, and there should be no long-term plan to convert Shaw to a CB. Malacia is a player in development, and will understand he is in and out of the team. Martinez is one of the leaders and was a catalyst in changing the mentality of the defense.
Fully agree with you.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw

Still our best back line. Nice to have flexibility and options now though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Martinez and Shaw will start. Nothing controversial about it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I would be OK to start the same backline against Arsenal but also I see Saka as one of the best forwards in the world currently, so not only we will be more secure with Shaw starting LB rather than Malacia, but we will also be much better going forward.

Also, it's very likely Rashford will play CF against Arsenal, so with Bruno taking LW spot we could use Shaw more than against City.

Malacia is still our backup left back, he will get enough minutes still this season, no need to worry about that too much. Martinez should get back his CB place as soon as he's fully fit, let's not overcomplicate this.

Parma Dewol

Lisandro freaks
Out in the street
From Argentina came our God

Turning back
He just laughs
Old Trafford is not that bad

Butcher man
He makes his stand
In the auditorium

Looking on
We sing his song
The words he knows
The tune he hums

But oh, how it feels so real
Playing here, with Varane near
Only you and you can hear me
When I say softly, slowly

Hold me closer, tiny Licha
Chop those giants in your own way
Brought us home a World Cup trophy
We love you more and more each day

poleglass red

I would be OK to start the same backline against Arsenal but also I see Saka as one of the best forwards in the world currently, so not only we will be more secure with Shaw starting LB rather than Malacia, but we will also be much better going forward.

Also, it's very likely Rashford will play CF against Arsenal, so with Bruno taking LW spot we could use Shaw more than against City.

Malacia is still our backup left back, he will get enough minutes still this season, no need to worry about that too much. Martinez should get back his CB place as soon as he's fully fit, let's not overcomplicate this.
not overcomplicating anything, playing players who are in form and fit. I think we will need Fred's energy in midfield again. Re Rashford I'd imagine Weghorst will get a start v Palace, depends on he how does in that game, he could well start v Arsenal, at the very least he will get some minutes v Arsenal

Kaos

I like the fact Ten Hag hasn't rushed him back into the starting lineup. With his successful start here and his world cup triumph, its easy for a younger player to get carried away with their own hype. Hopefully this brings him firmly down to earth and competitive in securing his spot. Shawdini has made it clear his place isn't necessarily guaranteed.

Irwin99

Bit rusty at times (that yellow card) but did ok and one of those typical passes between the lines in the first half was just :drool:

Really good to see him back.

NoPace

I would do that but think Erik sees doing that completely different to playing Shaw at CB
Are we sure? He tried Blind there I think (found him too slow I think Ajax fans were saying?) and Edson Alvarez was as much a CB as a DM before Ten Hag I think?

Also we can easily switch between 4 and 5 at the back if Lisandro is at DM. Fred and Eriksen partnership in front of him with Fred marking Odegaard, and then Rashford and ideally Martial but probably Antony or Garnacho top ahead of Bruno. 1 game of Ole-ball won't kill us. Might even be useful in case we need to break it out for the Nou Camp leg in the Europa League.

Ekeke

Bit rusty at times (that yellow card) but did ok and one of those typical passes between the lines in the first half was just :drool:

Really good to see him back.
He was brilliant, especially his passing and especially the first half when we were really good.

croadyman

Are we sure? He tried Blind there I think (found him too slow I think Ajax fans were saying?) and Edson Alvarez was as much a CB as a DM before Ten Hag I think?

Also we can easily switch between 4 and 5 at the back if Lisandro is at DM. Fred and Eriksen partnership in front of him with Fred marking Odegaard, and then Rashford and ideally Martial but probably Antony or Garnacho top ahead of Bruno. 1 game of Ole-ball won't kill us. Might even be useful in case we need to break it out for the Nou Camp leg in the Europa League.
Think he definitely has the positional awareness to play at DM,then you have Fred alongside him putting out fires all over the place

poleglass red

I know some are saying ETH doesn't fancy playing him as the defensive mid, but I think he might have to for the Arsenal game. Mc Fred and Eriksen would get overrun. I'd stick Shaw centre half, Malacia left back and Martinez in centre mid, not ideal, but for this one game I think it's needed.

youngrell

Took a hell of a whack to the face and made minimal fuss fair play to him. Looked like he already had a shiner before the game ended, imagine it's a bit sore today. Great to have him back.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Took a hell of a whack to the face and made minimal fuss fair play to him. Looked like he already had a shiner before the game ended, imagine it's a bit sore today. Great to have him back.
I was expecting a bit more to be made of that, it was a full whack to his head

youngrell

I was expecting a bit more to be made of that, it was a full whack to his head
It was. When you consider the reaction you get from some players for the slightest touch to the face, he's probably done the CP player a massive favour by being the warrior he is.

NoPace

Think he definitely has the positional awareness to play at DM,then you have Fred alongside him putting out fires all over the place
Yeah, we can also just play 5 at the back and on the break anyways when out of possession, then have Lisandro step into midfield when we have the ball or it's in their half.

Annoying to take Bruno from his spot as a 10, but away from home against the league leaders it's the logical sacrifice. Depends on Martial's status I guess. If he's fit you play Bruno on the right probably since Antony struggled so badly against Palace.

Though McTominay has played well against them in the past, and while he seems to lose his head whenever he comes on a substitute and commit terrible fouls in areas outside the opponents' box where Arsenal have been able to largely concentrate the game, he does do it less when he starts. For what reason, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.