Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
he's got that dawg in him

Haha, that was brilliant. Immediately setting the tempo and laying out an indicator as to the importance of the match. Lots of people fell in love with him at that point. Not simply because we've needed some real shithousery for some time, but also because this guy is clearly brilliant at it. Feck Salah.

SoCross

Is it just me or do others also feel like cheering every time he wins a header? :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Haha, that was brilliant. Immediately setting the tempo and laying out an indicator as to the importance of the match. Lots of people fell in love with him at that point. Not simply because we've needed some real shithousery for some time, but also because this guy is clearly brilliant at it. Feck Salah.
It's just nice to have some aggression in defence again.

Seeing soft gits like Lindelof and Maguire for years, only really Bailly came with anything like that but it was more crazyness than aggression.

Martinez looks like he wants to literally fight everybody on the pitch. There's no coincidence the whole team showed more aggression, even Varane was getting stuck right in too.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
One part of his game that I'm sure we'll get to see when the team is more settled and dominating possession is attacking runs that he could make which would help us fill the box and let the attackers be even more offensively minded in their output, varane should fill the role of an anchor nicely as he generally has decent positioning and the athleticism to recover for any mistakes made.

We couldn't see that part of his game in the previous 2 matches as we were all over the place and had some serious difficulties recycling possession and in the Liverpool game we went for a more compact counter attacking approach, adding some stability and cover in the midfield with additions like that of casemiro would help immensely, his defensive prowess should in theory help both varane and Martinez to play their best and for Martinez to join the attack.

His partnership with varane seems to be the definite way to go forward as they in theory (and in action as we saw yesterday) complement each other well, varane the more calm player filling the rio type role covering for his partner with Martinez filling the vidic role cutting off runs and in addition making runs for himself (something vidic couldn't do) with the difference being that the one proficient with ball at his feet is Martinez.

This partnership works much better than it ever did with Maguire as he doesn't really complement varane well but this one in my opinion could genuinely (i hope at least) have the potential to be a title challenging or winning defensive pair, but that would be contingent on varane keeping himself injury free which is rather disappointing but let's see whether he could keep fit or not as I expect ten hag to have improved fitness levels.

I wonder where this takes Maguire as I doubt he'd be first choice if the other 3 are fit but then having your captain on the bench is asking for trouble.
I thought Erik might go for a back 3 before we bought casemiro but that purchase alongside the formation he chose to stick with yesterday makes me believ that his conviction to keep it a back four is serious.

Interesting times ahead!

Last edited:

RedOrange

It's very impressive given how much criticism he's gotten since he arrived for basically everything other than his play on the pitch. Lots of players would have wilted under the pressure.

It's sickening how easily fans were duped by Carragher's nonsense argument about him being targeted by Brentford and Brighton. He conveniently left out the fact that Martinez hasn't lost any of the ground or aerial duels resulting from those targets.

Maybe people should put a bit less stock in Carragher's disingenuous wumming when United end up buying Antony or Gakpo, because you know it's coming.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Big similarity with Gabby Heinze (for anyone old enough to remember him) in terms of his fighting spirit (‘grinta’) but seems more composed in possession. Also (hopefully) won’t turn out to want to sign for the team we played last night!
Feck off.

"Old"..... It was only 18 years ago.

....that's not old is it? Please tell me it isn't :(

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He's gonna become a **** hero amongst the fanbase. He's just got that something about him.
He's very aggressive, but not in a reckless way like Rojo or Baily. He has way more control than that. But yeah, if you show that level of aggression combined with a great attitude, then the fans will love you.

tomaldinho1

Big similarity with Gabby Heinze (for anyone old enough to remember him) in terms of his fighting spirit (‘grinta’) but seems more composed in possession. Also (hopefully) won’t turn out to want to sign for the team we played last night!
Heinze was such a solid player and then wrecked his legacy with the Pool links. Martinez is much better on the ball agreed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

---

Rio just made the same comparison as well. A bit of Heinze, but less rash. He feels a bit more like a cross between early Vidic and Heinze to me.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Heinze was such a solid player and then wrecked his legacy with the Pool links. Martinez is much better on the ball agreed.
He had a good first season, but after getting injured and losing his place to evra he was never the same. His timing on the tackles wasn't as good and he became reckless and constantly giving away fouls. I never even held the transfer request against him as I knew he was done at the time.

Ludens the Red

Ten Hag said he dominated his duels against Brentford. If you are going to quote the manager do it right.
The manager still took him off and still said everyone was shit. So I am quoting him right.

ETH already answered that question. For God's sake, he is our own player. Be patient . Not saying he will be a Vidic but give him time.
Yeah as per first post I think a larger sample size is needed. But also you can call a spade a spade. He was great last night and garbage against Brentford.

Sweet Square

:lol:

God that makes me feel old.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Martinez was insane last night! Although I think it helped that they didn’t have Nunez playing and we wasn’t playing against a team that goes long or pumps ball up the pitch. Taking nothing away from him though… hope this continues! What a warrior he is. Him + Varane looked really good.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You don’t need to be tall. Aggressiveness, bravery, and always going towards the ball rather than hiding. Lindelof should take some note. In addition, this guy’s ball playing ability is class.

HookedOnAPhelan

Ok boomer.

But yeah, loved Heinze during his first season with us. By the time he left Evra had established himself as first choice left back, so I wasn't even that fussed about him bizarrely demanding a transfer to Liverpool.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he just goes to show it pays to be an equal opportunities employer. you can still find gems.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
When was the last time a defender brought in from a foreign league put in a dominating performance like that in his very third game? That is the kind of front foot assertiveness we've long lacked with the Maglöfs.

AjaxNL

I saw almost the entire match yesterday, and especially paid close attention to MArtinez and Malacia. Glad that the caf is creaming themselves over that Martinez performance, but for me it was his basic level. This is what you can expect from Martinez every and any match. He will play with the same fire and tenacity against Liverpool as well as a championship side for the League Cup. He is such a winner. Expect many more matches like these from him this season (preferably not partnered with Maguire).

Out of the two it was Malacia that stood out for me. I expected the performance from MArtinez, but seeing Malacia boss Salah around was more special. Contrary to MArtinez, I don't think that is his standard level yet. Great prospect and great player in the making though.

marktan

Wasn't a fan of the transfer as we already have loads of CBs and the money could be used elsewhere, but I was impressed with him. Particularly his decision making, he plays very smart with his tackling and passing and even clearing the ball which is very underrated skill in a CB.

poleglass red

Like what I saw. He has that nasty streak in him, in a good way though, which coupled with Casemiro coming in, we are slowly addressing the lack of aggression we had in the team

Blood Mage

Got to be one of the best ball playing defenders around. He's the best passer in the team already.

romufc

Got to be one of the best ball playing defenders around. He's the best passer in the team already.
Loved the composure he showed on the ball.

There was a few passes he made and it was beautifully done.

Even little things like the pass back to Malacia first time for the first goal. How many times have we seen Maguire receive that ball and dribble wide and the ball goes back to the other CB?

Popovic

Defensively he brings that tenacity, I knew from the start he was up for it when he bodied that cnut Salah. Also, love the weight and spin he get's on his long balls, you can tell he's very comfortable and composed on the ball. Makes a massive difference having that left footed CB that can play those balls over the top from the left.

FujiVice

Taller than Franco Baresi. Same size as Puyol. Size doesnt matter. Just ask my wife.

dinostar77

Not a suprise if you watch the scouting video @Raees did on him for his youtube channel. Apparently a world class left foot. Alot of passes out to antony on right wing last season.

Reminds me of a rugged italian defender. Deffo future captain material.

Him and varane looked good as a partnership. Malacia also did what luke shaw hasnt done for years and showed us what a proper left back is like.

RedorDead21

Still think he’ll struggle against the majority of teams in the PL who don’t play like Liverpool and city. The more direct route. Perhaps like de gea he will overcome all that after a season who knows but want to see him for a good 9-10 PL games before I think Monday night is going to be the norm for him. He was class for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.