View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ForeverRed1

So many on here said please do not rush him back. What does Erik do? Puts him in when he's clearly not ready. Ffs.
You do realise he would have been cleared by the club physios and medics right? A manager doesn’t just pluck a player mid injury and make him play.

mu4c_20le

You do realise he would have been cleared by the club physios and medics right? A manager doesn’t just pluck a player mid injury and make him play.
Not necessarily, unless its been reported. Medics usually give their evaluation, and the managers have the final say. I seriously doubt Martinez was 'cleared', or he would've started .

Ekeke

They dont decide what time and when to put him on the pitch.Thats the manager's job.

If the manager sees Varane and Lindelof working hard and both needing to come off because they arent used to it and cant carry on then brings on a player who last time he came back from injury quickly got injured again thats all on him. Nobody but him makes that decision to bring him on

RedDevil@84

Not necessarily, unless its been reported. Medics usually give their evaluation, and the managers have the final say. I seriously doubt Martinez was 'cleared', or he would've started .
No. Players are eased back into the team all the time.

A-man

So he is now injury prone and bein compared to Phil Jones when all of his injuries are opponent caused and basically unlucky? So if you are not injury prone, you just take someone literally falling on your knee and don't get injured, is that the logic? Do people not look at context and just spout bollocks?

Also blaming the Brentford game when he got injured in training? :houllier:

This thread is peak Caf. :lol:
Maybe him and Jones are just very unlucky, but it’s not really strange that people are worried that he’s injury prone?

Martinez has, to my knowledge, had six medium to big injuries the last three seasons. I could be wrong, but isnt it just the knee injury that was an impact injury? At least not all of them. And either way, some players get more often injured than other players from physical contact.

ForeverRed1

He would have been cleared to play. Ten hag probably didn’t want to rush him back so put him on later. What are the medical staff doing then? If they don’t check players vigorously before they come back from injury. I’m sure Martinez speaks aswell

ForeverRed1

They dont decide what time and when to put him on the pitch.Thats the manager's job.

If the manager sees Varane and Lindelof working hard and both needing to come off because they arent used to it and cant carry on then brings on a player who last time he came back from injury quickly got injured again thats all on him. Nobody but him makes that decision to bring him on
So the medical staff don’t do checks ? They don’t declare if a player is fit or not? Along with the players input? It’s all ETHs fault. Of course it is, he forced him on the pitch.

mu4c_20le

No. Players are eased back into the team all the time.
He would have been cleared to play. Ten hag probably didn’t want to rush him back so put him on later. What are the medical staff doing then? If they don’t check players vigorously before they come back from injury. I’m sure Martinez speaks aswell
I dont think its black and white. Most professional players are never 100% all the time. Medics can only give their best assessment of the status of their injury or rehab, and its up to the manager how he deals with that info.

ForeverRed1

I dont think its black and white. Most professional players are never 100% all the time. Medics can only give their best assessment of the status of their injury or rehab, and its up to the manager how he deals with that info.
Yes so they would have said he is ready, Martinez would have said he feels ready. Then a manager plays him. He would have been training too and assessed

He also didn’t get injured during the game. It was during training, is there any information if it was even the same injury?

Ekeke

So the medical staff don’t do checks ? They don’t declare if a player is fit or not? Along with the players input? It’s all ETHs fault. Of course it is, he forced him on the pitch.
Yes they did all that. Then he chose to bring him on when 2 CBs couldnt cope with Brentford's attack

RedDevil@84

Yes, and you are making a giant assumption that Martinez was not ready for a 30 min cameo, but the manager forced him to, causing him to be not injured in the game, but then injured two days later in the training. And that is all ETH's fault :houllier::houllier:

ForeverRed1

Yes they did all that. Then he chose to bring him on when 2 CBs couldnt cope with Brentford's attack
Which is normal. If players are playing shite you make subs and when a player comes back from injury they generally dont start on 90mins.

Ekeke

Which is normal. If players are playing shite you make subs and when a player comes back from injury they generally dont start on 90mins.
They werent playing shite they were wanting to come off injured. The perfect place to put in your player with no game fitness and struggling with injuries. Nothing could go wrong

RedDevil@84

They werent playing shite they were wanting to come off injured. The perfect place to put in your player with no game fitness and struggling with injuries. Nothing could go wrong
Because all players coming from injured, who play for 30 mins in a game will get injured 2 days later in training. It is known.

Ekeke

Because all players coming from injured, who play for 30 mins in a game will get injured 2 days later in training. It is known.
Now you know and have caught up with everyone with half a brain that a player struggling with injuries can easily pick up new injuries when they first come back

mu4c_20le

Yes, and you are making a giant assumption that Martinez was not ready for a 30 min cameo, but the manager forced him to, causing him to be not injured in the game, but then injured two days later in the training. And that is all ETH's fault :houllier::houllier:
No, i'm not trying to blame ETH, I just think that the medics are an easy target especially when they cant defend themselves or do interviews. I dont think instead of just saying yes or no, medics are more likely to give advice like lets limit him to 30 minutes or not at all Erik, he's still another week or two away. Now ETH has always been a pragmatic coach, this is the guy who played Quincy Promes when he was first being investigation for attempted murder, and I have no doubt he would have played Mason if he was available. I have many problems with ETH but ironically his pragmaticsm isn't one of them. I understand he wanted a strong replacement for Lindelof who was coming off for an injury. Our medics aren't the best, but the assumption that they are simply giving wrong info seems a bit OTT. Like others have said, its most likely a shared responsibility in this case.

A-man

They coped well and we had a clean sheet as long as they were playing. Varane was subbed because he injured himself in a collision and Lindelof seems to have pulled his hamstrings. Also Martinez injury seems to have nothing to do with Brentford’s attack, but he strained his calf muscle during training.

RedDevil@84

Now you know and have caught up with everyone with half a brain that a player struggling with injuries can easily pick up new injuries when they first come back
Looks like pretty much every manager that gives a player coming back from injury, reduced minutes has less than half a brain.
They never knew that the trick was to not give them any minutes at all. Pure genius!!!!

Lemon Moon

He's a bit reckless. Trains like a nutter apparently. I won't go as far as 'injury prone' just yet... He needs to take it easy in training when he does return.

CasaStreets

Lots of people at this point don't care what the issue is - fault will be found and it will be attributed to ETH

Martinez now has another injury? Shouldn't have played. Even though when we saw him on the bench, of course we'd have hoped he'd get a few minutes to ease back in

Oh, the injury happened in training 2 days later? Shouldn't have trained. Even though we all implicitly know and understand that's how you recover fitness post-injury

If you want ETH out, I completely get it. But some of this nonsense is just getting to be a little much. Focus on the things he's actually doing wrong rather than the ones you can only speculate or draw illogical conclusions about

jem

He’s really not, someone fell on his knee, freak injury and was rushed back. For the second time.
Seriously, people need to take a breath. It’s seriously frustrating, but the Coufal injury was just bad luck - a nasty fall that would’ve hurt anyone. I do think it feels like he’s been rushed back this season, and he needs to be given a proper recovery this time.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Maybe him and Jones are just very unlucky, but it’s not really strange that people are worried that he’s injury prone?

Martinez has, to my knowledge, had six medium to big injuries the last three seasons. I could be wrong, but isnt it just the knee injury that was an impact injury? At least not all of them. And either way, some players get more often injured than other players from physical contact.
Martinez plays flat out for every minute that he is on the pitch & you have to admire that in a player. Unfortunately his style of play makes him a little more susceptible to injury .. It's not in his dna to play any other way

Roux

Erik Ten Hag on what's causing their injuries:

"We have an idea but we'll work on that internally, we will deal with it."

To me, this statement seems like the issue is self-inflicted - either with medical team, coaching staff or overworking players in training etc and they will try to correct it.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
apparently ten hag makes them train in clogs.

Bobski

That should be him for the season and any thought of rushing him back for an FA Cup final, or a Europa League shootout, whatever should be shut down if it ever comes up. Martinez is already a bit on the slow side, but he has shown really good agility and footwork that allows to him control that. Constant injuries risk him losing that edge and if he does the PL is going to be tough for him.

Get him right over the Summer, build him up hope we see first season Martinez again.

crossy1686

career ending

To me, this statement seems like the issue is self-inflicted - either with medical team, coaching staff or overworking players in training etc and they will try to correct it.

TheRedHearted

The Brentford match? There is a rule against bringing on a player that has already been subbed off. Also bringing a player on that went off injured earlier in that same match is a double no-no.
Ah got it. I saw him on the bench when i started watching, had no idea he was subbed off. Well, we are here because we didn’t move on certain players we should have and had youngsters in those positions. Shot ourselves in the foot

TheRedHearted

Does seem like ten hag likes to have super intense training sessions. Could be the issue with our last couple of managers, not realizing the game has changed so much

ForeverRed1

They weren’t playing shite? You sure about that one? Our defence is abysmal so of course he wants Martinez back. He’s been injured most the season and he’s given him all the time he needs. At what point do you bring him back then? When he’s cleared to play and when he feels ready. What else can you do?

Ekeke

They weren’t playing shite? You sure about that one? Our defence is abysmal so of course he wants Martinez back. He’s been injured most the season and he’s given him all the time he needs. At what point do you bring him back then? When he’s cleared to play and when he feels ready. What else can you do?
When we dont have 2 strikers linking up and running at the CBs with ease, leading to Varane wanting to come off as a "precaution" and Lindelof knackered and injured. Essentially we took Varane off to make sure he doesnt get injured, just to bring on our injury prone CB who got injured right after we put him back in last time. We learned nothing

A-man

Martinez plays flat out for every minute that he is on the pitch & you have to admire that in a player. Unfortunately his style of play makes him a little more susceptible to injury .. It's not in his dna to play any other way
Yes I totally agree. Style of play is important. Aggressive players always have a higher risk for injuries compared to players whose strengths are positioning, reading the game etc.

Ekeke

Yes I totally agree. Style of play is important. Aggressive players always have a higher risk for injuries compared to players whose strengths are positioning, reading the game etc.
AWB has our most interceptions through reading the game and positioning himself to do so. He's a very aggressive player. Equally making a lot of tackles requires reading whats going to happen else you'll foul the player. So this makes no sense whatsoever. Being aggressive and trying to win the ball has no bearing on whether a player who is strong with positioning and reading the game. In fact AWB's tackling success relies a lot on positioning himself correctly to make an opponent try to take him on, reading that and putting his foot in to win the ball.