Liverpool are a mess

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Apart from Alisson. Nunez is possibly their best player.

Valencia Shin Crosses

They did a terrible job buying midfielders these past couple of years. Everyone creamed themselves over Thiago but in reality he was never what they needed, Liverpool was electric because of the relentless running they could do with that midfield 3. Even with Thiago, the rest of them are way past it or shit. Shocking recruitment to just keep splurging on attackers and ignoring the most integral part of that side.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'm fascinated by how United and Liverpool seem to be diametrically opposed for the last 20 odd years (or more even). When we're up, they're down and vice-versa, particularly in the league. During their purple patch of recent years we've been nowhere. Now when we start coming back they start falling apart.

I think throughout the entire Premier League era there's only been one season where both teams were genuinely competing with each other for the title - 2008/09 (remember Macheda?). Kind of crazy considering the two clubs have won the most league titles between them by some distance.

When Liverpool were hoovering up league title after league title in the 70s/80s were there many occasions where we challenged with them for the title? (my memory doesn't go back that far)

Is it some weird football voodoo?

Robertd0803

I saw this thread while the game was on and fully expected them to turn it around.

3-0 :)

Scottynaldinho

Although I hate them with a passion I feel emotional watching this and would like to show some solidarity. I hope you avoid relegation.

mu4c_20le

I'm sure Foxestalk and Toffeetalk are also in meltdown. Quite a day really.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's difficult to enjoy it much since your rise was so short...
Nothing to be nervous about mate. You’re the one that should be nervous… you’ve won 1 league title while we’ve been awful and now we’re on the way up we’ll probably win 1 before yous again.
Checks notes: went from 5 CLs to a lifetime safe 6 CLs.

Yep, you're not getting anywhere near that while I'm alive. :lol:

HookedOnAPhelan

I'm fascinated by how United and Liverpool seem to be diametrically opposed for the last 20 odd years (or more even). When we're up, they're down and vice-versa, particularly in the league. During their purple patch of recent years we've been nowhere. Now when we start coming back they start falling apart.

I think throughout the entire Premier League era there's only been one season where both teams were genuinely competing with each other for the title - 2008/09 (remember Macheda?). Kind of crazy considering the two clubs have won the most league titles between them by some distance.

When Liverpool were hoovering up league title after league title in the 70s/80s were there many occasions where we challenged with them for the title? (my memory doesn't go back that far)

Interesting point. We've never faced them in the CL either, have we?

Josh 76

Its such a huge fall and worryingly for Liverpool Klopp has precedent with this.

But really they should be pointing the finger at FSG, FSG have been using City as a shield for their spending "We can't compete with cheats" but in reality their net spend is below clubs like Villa, Everton etc... iirc (at least before this season) despite reaching 3 CL finals. Carragher and co's defence of the owners has walked them into this, kinda like early Neville did with the Glazers. They've sleep walked into it because of a great manager papering over the cracks and legends defending owners who won't step up.
Their net spend is over analysed. They buy cheap squad players and sell them on for huge profits. It’s not like the are forced to sell their star players. The only one that comes to mind was Courthino. The rest were players who were not first team regulars. (Mane wanted to go because he wasn’t offered the contract he thought he deserved)

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

You are the greatest team ever in the whole universe.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Ah, the "six times" response, used even when it's not relevant to the conversation.

Wasn't this meant to be the era of Liverpool dominance? Or will that glorious resurgence now wait another 30 years?

padr81

Supports
Man City

Its kinda been that way forever, both teams rarely were at the top together bar an odd season here or there, During Liverpools golden 80's period United were struggling.

Of their combined almost 40 league titles only 5 times in history have they made up the leagues top 2. Liverpool have only come runners up to United only once I think (08/09).
Its a weird dynamic that when one is up the other is down throughout history.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It’s such a strange feeling going from 92 points in the league last season, cl finalists and winning the FA Cup and Carabao Cup to this.
You could have simply said "from winning the mickey mouse cups to this" and that would have made no difference to what you said initially.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ah, the "six times" response, used even when it's not relevant to the conversation.

Wasn't this meant to be the era of Liverpool dominance? Or will that glorious resurgence now wait another 30 years?
That’s all they can fall back on because they won’t match our titles.

BlueHaze

Said multiple times here before season even started it will be Klopps last season. Same shit happened at Dortmund and is happening here. Players get worn out by his tactics, other teams figure them out with time and he does not adapt but sticks by his own vision every single game. Even ETH said it in his first press conference when asked about City and Liverpool. They are both very good teams but cycles come to an end he said!

Señor Sloppy

Just to be the party pooper, I would say that we have to enjoy this while it lasts.

Put the engine back into Liverpool's midfield through the purchase of a couple of decent CMs (of which there's plenty on the market) and they become a top proposition again.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Their net spend is over analysed. They buy cheap squad players and sell them on for huge profits. It’s not like the are forced to sell their star players. The only one that comes to mind was Courthino. The rest were players who were not first team regulars. (Mane wanted to go because he wasn’t offered the contract he thought he deserved)
So the owners should be digging deeper to back the manager. Thats the issue, their owners cry about not being able to compete but they have a smaller net spend than Wolves, something about that smells rotten to me given they've been at the top of the league for 5 seasons and been in 3 CL finals. Why aren't they spending their money to the same level as say Arsenal?

kundalini

Sexton 79/80 season was fairly close but Liverpool had the advantage all the way after the turn of the year. Finished 60 points to 58. They also had better goal difference.

Docherty 75/76 was tight until late in the season. QPR had slight advantage at end of March but both United and Liverpool had a game in hand. We finished in 3rd. 4 points behind title winners Liverpool.

Atkinson 85/86 we won first 10 League games then collapsed from about November onwards, finishing in 4th, 12 points behind title winners Liverpool. I guess at some stage of the season it may have seemed like a competitive race.

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

Liverpool's golden era only led to 1 PL title... and nobody could even celebrate it... back to mediocrity :lol:

AneRu

Yep, you're not getting anywhere near that while I'm alive.
You know its really bad when you see Scousers bringing out the 'five times, la' line :lol:

RedorDead21

Just to be the party pooper, I would say that we have to enjoy this while it lasts.

Put the engine back into Liverpool's midfield through the purchase of a couple of decent CMs (of which there's plenty on the market) and they become a top proposition again.
Nah once the rot sets in that’s it..klopp won’t be around for the rebuild and top managers unlike midfielders are like hens teeth

TheReligion

Abusive

sure but you think that’s an easy fix? Klopp can’t seem to do it and he’s one of the best in the world….

ThinkTank@Cafe

Interesting observation. On a less global scale (I mean more short term) I feel we are taking Liverpool niche in EPL hierarchy.