Liverpool are a mess

Literally no one did that.

All this 8-year-contract-celebration would make sense if he was around 25 and because these additional 3 years of certainty make a big difference when you're 30 or so. The dude is 21. If he got a 5 year contract he'd be in the absolute prime of his career at its end. If he has any confidence that he'd live up to his potential, he'd also know that he could get another big contract at that age at most top teams.

The higher wages I understand. Maybe you all know him personally or something, but it's not so obvious to me that if Chelsea came in with a 5 year contract and Liverpool came in with 8 years at the same wages, he'd have jumped ship immediately.
An 8 year contract at any age is incredible, especially on big wages. Regardless of form, injuries etc, he’s guaranteed a massive wage for almost a decade man.
At 200k /week it’s worth 83 million quid.

Simon Powley

There are countless brilliant areas of London within inner London boroughs. I’d say more than any other city I’ve seen, that’s the amazing thing about London. Blackheath is 10 mins from London Bridge and would be nicer than any village in Merseyside, as you say especially for someone with such money.
Just as long as they take their expensive watches off before they leave the house

Care_de_Bobo

Wait until your side play Chelsea or Liverpool. Both team are low in confidence and coming off an off season. You better be prepared or your are getting another 7-0.
Crazy how confident Chelsea fans have become after the season they've just had and their scattergun approach in the transfer market. £1 billion spent and they don't have a top keeper or centre forward and are relying on a 38 year old to hold their defence together. On top of that they have a manager whose only trophy came in France with a front three of Messi, Mbappe and Neymar. Now he's relying on Jackson and his defenders for the majority of their goals.

Liverpool were there for the taking yesterday and will only improve this season once they get some reinforcements in.

Redfrog

Wait until your team play Chelsea. Liverpool were lucky yesterday that Chelsea was a team coming off from a poor season and confidence is low they should have capitalised but as the game progressed Chelsea realised they are Chelsea and started playing. I pity the team that will approach this Chelsea team with same mindset as last season.
I pity you. You should keep a low profile till you win a game at least. Football games are not won by overspending.

owlo

An 8 year contract at any age is incredible, especially on big wages. Regardless of form, injuries etc, he’s guaranteed a massive wage for almost a decade man.
You don't go for 115M, turn down the scousers, and only manage to leverage 200k a week. You can assume Liverpool paid him at the top of their [non salah] structure, so around 220k. To turn them down and go to Chelsea whilst tying himself down for 8 years, my guess is a 300k minimum. Or 125 million over the 8 years. A total cost of a quarter billion. For a player with questionable loyalties It's bonkers. Said it in the other thread, its fun to laugh at the scousers etc, but they dodged a bullet here in my opinion.

redshaw

Wages, bonuses, West London, long contacts with player camp. Chelsea also have a better image and glamour feel to many outside of UK, have won more in the last decade and the previous one. You could talk down or talk up each clubs prospects, Klopp leaving soon. Enzo and Caicedo with similar additions could be a super team in the making.

Joel Miller

I was shocked at how bad they looked yesterday. I don’t know why but I half expected them to look revitalised this season and look a bit more like their side from a couple of seasons back. But they almost look like they’ve regressed again; they’re so easily got at now and their midfield doesn’t look like it’s up to much. I wonder how much longer Klopp will be there, he was starting to let his mask slip and get very arsey when things weren’t going their way after winning the league so I dread to think what he’ll be like if it’s another season of relative mediocrity.

FujiVice

What's going on here? Liverpool are a top club, as much as it hurts my fingers to type that. And their manager has pedigree in improving players and allowing them to express themselves. There must be something going around within the game that makes this current version of Liverpool as risky prospect to commit yourself to.

NLunited

Wasn’t he just pissed off because he was subbed? It’s not that uncommon among top players.
Ship him off to SA, behaviour like that should not be tolerated. Otherwise this is the beginning of the end for Klopp.

mav_9me

six, including arthur. seven if you include Carvalho going out on loan.

We actually utilised 11 midfielders last season. And yet, if we simpled signed two proper holding midfielders, we could let Thiago go as well and still have a good selection from the seven that are still here.
That's the thing. As big an overhaul was needed, even with Henderson and Fabinho leaving (which let's face it, makes u guys better) you needed to buy one more proper DM and maybe Lavia for his talent (easily doable with 110m£)

I know winning or losing transfer windows is meaningless but you guys have made an epic disaster of this.

You can still salvage it with at least one other DM, which can leave you with a rotation of new DM, Alexis, Szoboszlai, Jones, Bajetic, Elliot and Thiago (if he is ever fit) which can work because of energy and legs.

Member 101269

Wasn’t he just pissed off because he was subbed? It’s not that uncommon among top players.
Of course top players do. It's the first game of the season and he's an experienced pro, I'm not sure what the root of the anger was it just seemed very odd.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Probably terrified to put another bid in for a DM in case they get publicly rejected again. Weren’t they interested in Amrabat?

OverratedOpinion

He was apparently annoyed because it ruined some record he has of always scoring in the first fixture of the season.

Sounds like a stupid reason to be annoyed but who knows.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
That can also breed lazy players who know they can sit out their contract doing absolutely nothing. This strategy doesn't fill me with confidence concerning Chelsea's future. I believe they are going to take a massive hit with these players.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
That's the thing. As big an overhaul was needed, even with Henderson and Fabinho leaving (which let's face it, makes u guys better) you needed to buy one more proper DM and maybe Lavia for his talent (easily doable with 110m£)

I know winning or losing transfer windows is meaningless but you guys have made an epic disaster of this.

You can still salvage it with at least one other DM, which can leave you with a rotation of new DM, Alexis, Szoboszlai, Jones, Bajetic, Elliot and Thiago (if he is ever fit) which can work because of energy and legs.
I wouldn’t say it’s a disaster at all (yet), it could be the complete opposite, but they clearly need more numbers in midfield. I think they had to deal with a couple of headwinds; one being the ageing midfield, and the other being the Saudi interest in some of their players. It’s forced them to fast track significant changes (ones that would normally have taken place during the next 3 transfer windows) into just one window. But they’ve brought in £50m in transfer fees and seemingly reduced their wage bill by about 25% in the process. If they come out of this with a far younger midfield and a reduced wage bill it could be great for them. I’m sure if the Liverpool hierarchy could have chosen they wouldn’t have given themselves such a busy summer, though!

Blood Mage

Their season hinges on replacing Fabinho, if they don't manage to get a DM in they'll be in trouble.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Their season hinges on replacing Fabinho, if they don't manage to get a DM in they'll be in trouble.
They also need a CB, they’re going to massively overpaying for both with £111m very publicly in the bank.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They also need a CB, they’re going to massively overpaying for both with £111m very publicly in the bank.
They genuinely may struggle to get both, of the quality they want, now everyone knows what they've got to spend. Particularly now the season has started.

Every club they go to will want an extra £10-20 million.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Just thinking about how much of a mess they are and here’s these things that are particularly satisfying:
  1. Liverpool just advertised that they have £110m to spend.
  2. Klopp just admitted that he was talking bollocks 6 years ago and he knows he has to spend big on players.
  3. They just proved again that they can be held to ransom after increasing their bid from £45m to £60m for Lavia.Best of all, they did all this without any benefit. Usually you spend the big bucks and then say “that’s our funds gone”.
  4. They have no signings, seemingly very few options for a position they are desperate in and they need to go back into the market to negotiate for someone who will be nothing like their first choice

Shambles.

stubie

Don’t get why Liverpool didn’t get Lavia signed up last game of the season as they played Southampton

Redstain

Liverpool just come across as lacking class in the market. The way they have undervalued Southampton in the negotiation process despite seemingly had a strong relationship with the club in previous dealings. Still frustrated over the Gakpo signing a player United were reportedly interested in. You reap what you sow.