Luka Modric

Rowem

gently, down the stream
'Can play in a two man' midfield and 'could play in a two man midfield' are two different things. Modric could easily become a very good player in a two man midfield, just as Gerrard could have / should have done. Especially if they were at a club like United. Gerrard would have been an improved Fletcher if he were at United. An even more physical Fletcher who can shoot and has a good technique. Modric could become a Scholes like player (judging from what I saw at the Euros anyway, seen little for Spurs). Certainly the PL is a lot more physical, and I do think he needs to bulk up a bit.

Compared to Anderson, Modric is too lightweight, but he plays with more intelligence. Both have good techniques, Id be tempted to say Modric is slightly better technically though (at the moment anyway). Neither are yet in Scholes' league though, but potentially, they could come close. The one I really wish we had was Fabregas though. :(

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
'Can play in a two man' midfield and 'could play in a two man midfield' are two different things. Modric could easily become a very good player in a two man midfield, just as Gerrard could have / should have done. Especially if they were at a club like United. Gerrard would have been an improved Fletcher if he were at United. An even more physical Fletcher who can shoot and has a good technique. Modric could become a Scholes like player (judging from what I saw at the Euros anyway, seen little for Spurs). Certainly the PL is a lot more physical, and I do think he needs to bulk up a bit.

Compared to Anderson, Modric is too lightweight, but he plays with more intelligence. Both have good techniques, Id be tempted to say Modric is slightly better technically though (at the moment anyway). Neither are yet in Scholes' league though, but potentially, they could come close. The one I really wish we had was Fabregas though. :(
BIG mistake, now he goes on a rant and refers to this "Anderson" thread

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The idea that Modric can't play in CM is total bollocks. The fact is he can play anywhere across the attacking midfield - and frequently does given his usual licence to roam.

And as others have already pointed out, he usually plays in CM for Croatia - to great effect as their key player and as reflected in their outstanding international results, particularly for such a small country.

The reason he now plays in LM for Spurs (and it's a fairly nominal position because he roams) is because Palacios has joined, Jenas is better than our other midfield options (bar Modric and Lennon) and attacking central midfield is the best position for Jenas:

Lennon is better than Jenas in RM, Jenas isn't left-footed (or two-footed like Modric) and so isn't best employed in LM, which means either play him in CM or leave him out altogether (and play Modric in CM with someone else as LM). Basically Redknapp has wisely chosen to shift Modric leftwards so that Jenas has a place: Palacios and Jenas in CM works well - both have great engines, both tackle and close down pretty well and both have enough pace to quickly fill the gaps or get forward.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Modric isn't two footed though.He can use his left but that doesn't make him two footed
He is (as anyone can see if they watch him play much):

"For the past three seasons, he has shone in Zagreb, playing as a left-sided playmaker who also averages a goal almost every three games. The two-footed Modric is a slippery customer for defenders ..."

http://www.skysports.com/football/euro2008/player-profiles/0,23132,13950_143999,00.html

"Combining a skilful two footed attacking style with strength and determination gained from his time in the Bosnian Premier League ..."

http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/midfielders/p/lmodric.htm

"Clever and confident on the ball, two-footed, able to shape games of an elevated nature, there just isn’t an English Luka Modric. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/euro_2008/article4087331.ece

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't need articles when I've seen him play with my own eyes.Surely he can use his left but for me a true two footed player is one who could do exactly the same stuff with both right and left feet.I've rarely seen a player who could achieve that

Leethal

I don't need articles when I've seen him play with my own eyes.Surely he can use his left but for me a true two footed player is one who could do exactly the same stuff with both right and left feet.I've rarely seen a player who could achieve that

That would be ambidextrous. Of which, only 1.1% of the worlds population is gifted with it. . .

Modric isn't ambidextrous, but he's pretty feckin good with both feet, so for me that would be classed as 'two footed'.

Ceks

Prefers em hot, and spicy
“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but
That would be ambidextrous. Of which, only 1.1% of the worlds population is gifted with it. . .

Modric isn't ambidextrous, but he's pretty feckin good with both feet, so for me that would be classed as 'two footed'.
I am. I use both feet when playing football. Though penalties I would always take with my right. I also play all racket sports with both hands, changing hands to avoid back hand shots. I write with my left, but probably just stronger with my right, and I can still write pretty well with my right as my teacher in year 1 made me write with my right hand for a period of time before I told my mum and she went mental at the school, she was one of those old fashion type teachers.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Since ambidextrous means in football 2 footed :D .........

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really like Modric. If he fulfills his potential, he'll be up with the very best. My only reservation is whether he can handle the physical stuff, but hes got it all in his locker. His touch and passing is magnificent.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Thought he was good behind Bent when they were getting some results.
Thought he was average behind Bent when they struggled to win a game.

Worse than he has been in the last few weeks, that's for sure.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
But can you roll a joint with the roach in either side of the rizla?
Of course! :D

Funnily enough, I encountered some maniacs this weekend who actually skinned joints before putting the roach in. Any of you lot do that?

Brwned

:lol:

I thought Scholes was a massive defensive liability against Inter at OT.
Good to know.

Are you trying to say Scholes is a defensive liability, in general terms?

Brwned

In a two man midfield, in physical games, at times yes. But in most games, no.

The same applies to Modric.
Deary me.

He's been one of the best midfielders in the league for over 10 years, in the most physical league in the world, and you think he is a defensive liability at times?

i'd just like to point out there is a difference between having a bad game, and then being a defensive liability against phyiscal teams.

Patrick Viera, obviously a particularly physical player as well as having plenty of ability, said Paul Scholes is the hardest player he's played against. If Scholes struggled against physical midfields Viera would've been able to just bully him out of the game every time with raw power. He didn't, because you're talking bollocks.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Scholes is not a good tackler. But while playing alongside Keano or Carrick, he does track back and take up good defenisve positions to close down space for opponent's attackers. That is why Keano did not like playing alongside Veron in Midfield two. Or someone like Gerrard is a bit of liability at times in CM. Not seen enough of Modric to comment if he has same deficiencies or not.

Scholesy

Deary me.

He's been one of the best midfielders in the league for over 10 years, in the most physical league in the world, and you think he is a defensive liability at times?

i'd just like to point out there is a difference between having a bad game, and then being a defensive liability against phyiscal teams.

Patrick Viera, obviously a particularly physical player as well as having plenty of ability, said Paul Scholes is the hardest player he's played against. If Scholes struggled against physical midfields Viera would've been able to just bully him out of the game every time with raw power. He didn't, because you're talking bollocks.
Youre talking bollocks. Youre trying to over analyse things.

If Scholes had played with Zidane in central midfield, then there is a defensive liability. If Scholes plays with Keane/Carrick, there is no defensive liability.

In football, Vieira probably couldnt get near Scholes because of his footballing brain and awareness. Take Vieira running with the ball at Scholes, then there is a defensive liability. Scholes is a playmaker.

Without the ball, he can be a defensive liability. Thats why he needs to play alongside Carrick/Keane. With the ball, incredible.

Brwned

Youre talking bollocks. Youre trying to over analyse things.

If Scholes had played with Zidane in central midfield, then there is a defensive liability. If Scholes plays with Keane/Carrick, there is no defensive liability.

In football, Vieira probably couldnt get near Scholes because of his footballing brain and awareness. Take Vieira running with the ball at Scholes, then there is a defensive liability. Scholes is a playmaker.

Without the ball, he can be a defensive liability. Thats why he needs to play alongside Carrick/Keane. With the ball, incredible.
If Zidane played with Keane/Carrick, would he still be a defensive liability? The obvious answer would be yes, so I fail to see your point.

Put Modric/Gerrard in a midfield two with Carrick and he'd be a defensive liability. Put Scholes in there and he's not. There's it put simply, no over-analysing.

Scholesy

If Zidane played with Keane/Carrick, would he still be a defensive liability? The obvious answer would be yes, so I fail to see your point.

Put Modric/Gerrard in a midfield two with Carrick and he'd be a defensive liability. Put Scholes in there and he's not. There's it put simply, no over-analysing.
Gerrard would be a defensive liability with Carrick but Scholes wouldnt?

Gerrard is better defensively. Scholes is rubbish when we dont have the ball.

Brwned

Gerrard would be a defensive liability with Carrick but Scholes wouldnt?

Gerrard is better defensively. Scholes is rubbish when we dont have the ball.
Of course he is.

Doevle

Just something I thought of last night Scholesy: Did you feel gutted when he netted Tottenham's second, or was it ok since it was Modric?