Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue always red

He had some nice bits of play down the right and tried at least 2x to play the ball and run past his man but never received a return ball. 19 years old now though, if he doesn't improve in the next few games I assume we'll see people writing him off based on his price.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He did okay. Needs to sharpen up his short passing when under pressure, but I have no concerns over him.

I don't think he'll walk into the first team as we mostly predicted when we lost Buttner and Evra. I think Reece James has been a lot better so far. But it's pre-season, so it's harder to judge overall quality. Reece James will probably be a lot fresher than Shaw right now, I imagine.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Don't think he looks good enough going forward. Young looked better on the right today for instance. Obviously harsh to judge but he didn't exactly pull up great attacking numbers for Southampton in his 2 seasons. A United full back/wing back will need to offer more than just defensive solidity.
Is it really fair to judge him on numbers? Prior to the last two seasons Evra's numbers were very low but his build-up and link-up play was so important to us. Shaw's good at that stuff too. Not as good though and I don't think he's a wingback at all. More suited to the left-sided centre back in a back 5 I reckon. He's definitely got the skillset to be an influential attacking fullback for us though.

At the moment he's clearly playing within himself because he's adapting to a new team, in a new system, quite possibly in a country (and more importantly, a climate) he's never played in before all the while trying to get to know his (much more successful and experienced) team-mates and manager. It takes a while to get it together for most people.

Everyone remembers Evra's shambles of a performance against Trevor Sinclair where he was torn to pieces defensively, but he wasn't that great going forward to begin with either. In fact the few times he was played further forward as a LM he looked pretty inept in attack. It's much easier being a threat going forward with someone in front of you occupying the fullback and creating space for you to gallop into.

By the way, for anyone ready to jump on the "another overhyped English youngster" line, I was watching the match with Italian commentators and they called him a great fullback.

Reactions: KM

Castia

Not going to judge him on todays second half, the team was all over the place. He will be a top player, no doubt about that but maybe he will take a few month to settle in.

surf

Wing back is a demanding role, and I think there will be some rotation and resting of players on both sides. Hope Shaw and James are both capable of playing the left side. A younger Evra would have been perfect for it.

Brightonian

He did okay. Needs to sharpen up his short passing when under pressure, but I have no concerns over him.

I don't think he'll walk into the first team as we mostly predicted when we lost Buttner and Evra. I think Reece James has been a lot better so far. But it's pre-season, so it's harder to judge overall quality. Reece James will probably be a lot fresher than Shaw right now, I imagine.
I'd say they were exactly the same today: both had a couple of nice moments, defended pretty well, but were basically marked out of the game quite easily because of the nature of that position. But I guess that means James edges it with his two goals in the first game!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He will. He is an excellent defender and isn't as good going forward.
Strangely I've heard many people say that on here but the folk on Saints forum say the opposite.

Brightonian

He will. He is an excellent defender and isn't as good going forward.
Exactly. I mean, the whole team obviously needs time to work out how to make that wing-back position work effectively, because no-one's been great in it so far (with all due respect to James' brace in the first game).

But Shaw is particularly unsuited to it as a full-back whose defending is his best asset and whose attacking threat comes from his pace. He'll not get many chances to get sprinting from such a high starting position where he can be marked all the time by his corresponding winger/fullback.

That said, I'm not worried. If 351 ends up not suiting our players we'll change back to 4 at the back. But it's perfectly possible we'll get better at using wing-backs, and I'm sure Shaw will be a part of that. He's got too much quality not to. He wasn't any worse today than any of our other three wing-backs.

Lane

I have to say i am slightly worried about his attacking skills as a wing back. I mean he has speed, skill on the ball, he is a modern attacking full back, but for all his qualities he has only one assist in 1,5 PL seasons. That's not a great return by any means. Well he is young and with better players upfront could do better, but still.

The thing i am comfortable is his stamina and speed. He definitely have those to play in this role.

Litch

We didn't pay 30m for what he brings now as an 19 year old lad. Its an investment and lets have some patience he may even play left of the 3 CB's in time.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm not surprised Reece James is more settled at wing back than Shaw is. Given that James played at both left wing and left back in his time at the U-21's, he's probably best suited to this role. Shaw, on the other hand, has played at left back for much of his time, so I'm not surprised that he isn't used to the role as of yet.

I'd say that he should be given time to adjust to this role. He has the talent; he just needs to get used to being a wing back rather than a full back.

RooneyLegend

Isn't looking too good atm. He's a big time talent but it certainly is worrying that just how not so good he's looked. We should bring in ali adnan just incase this goes tits up.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What? It's just how he looks to me so far. I'm sure he'll eventually improve. Well, I'm not sure, I hope.
You just called him shit and fat. A lad with a body that everyone on here would wish for and you are calling him fat. You then ask what? Come on mate seriously.

He was decent and clearly trying to adapt to the new role of wingback. Personally I don't like the role, one player on each wing isn't going to be the most effective.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
19 year old, 2nd 45 minutes in preseason, new role, stepped up from Southampton to Manchester United. I hope you didn't think he was the complete article at 19 years of age.

Litch

You just called him shit and fat. A lad with a body that everyone on here would wish for and you are calling him fat. You then ask what? Come on mate seriously.

He was decent and clearly trying to adapt to the new role of wingback. Personally I don't like the role, one player on each wing isn't going to be the most effective.
He called him fat? I dont get some supporters. Like Utd would go out a pay 30m for a 19 year old fat kid.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Are people seriously judging him after 2 pre season games? Jesus Christ. The lad will be world class.

Oo0AahCantona

based soley on his performances as a red so far, he's looked nothing like the player he was at southhampton. Obviously theres tons of factors at play, but its not the start he would have wanted suffice to say. Im positive he will come good with a run of games under his belt.

jason93

Are people seriously judging him after 2 pre season games? Jesus Christ. The lad will be world class.
He might be solid at best but WORLD CLASS? No. Roberto Carlos was World Class. Maldini was World Class. Shaw won't reach the heights of them. Just wait and see how he fairs before setting yourself up for disappointment.

I thought Ashley Young was gonna be great for United and look how that turned out.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I can't image he's too fresh just now. All the travelling with England, back to the UK, then back across the pond to the west coast for the tour. That'll sap it out of you a bit, especially for a relatively inexperienced kid. Probably hasn't had all that much of a summer break. He seemed to sign as soon as he returned, then having to move your life a few hundred miles north. He has been a very impressive player over the past 2 seasons. I'm certain he will be a mainstay at left back, but he will need time to settle, and he'll certain need to up his game to maintain his place. Reece James nipping at his heels can only be a good thing.

Brightonian

based soley on his performances as a red so far, he's looked nothing like the player he was at southhampton. Obviously theres tons of factors at play, but its not the start he would have wanted suffice to say. Im positive he will come good with a run of games under his belt.
90 minutes total doesn't even qualify as a 'start'. We can discuss his performances but there's simply no conclusions to be drawn until he's played at least a few full games.

Devil may care

He just looks a little nervy to me, much like he did when he played for England, I am sure LvG will get him sorted out quickly and he actually showed some of his quality towards the end of the game.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He might be solid at best but WORLD CLASS? No. Roberto Carlos was World Class. Maldini was World Class. Shaw won't reach the heights of them. Just wait and see how he fairs before setting yourself up for disappointment.

I thought Ashley Young was gonna be great for United and look how that turned out.
Did you see Carlos when he was 19 and playing for international giants Uniao Sao Juao ? Shaw has loads of time on his side to get to a similar level. Just wait and see how he develops before claiming he won't be world class like them in the future.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
He looked a bit like a sad clown with his pink boots, but he wasn't that bad. Hope he reaches his Southampton level quickly so there will be no future pressure on him because of his wages and transfer fee.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Saying he won't reach those heights is just as presumptuous as saying he will. I personally think he has all the tools to become a World Class full back. He aint no wing back though, not by a long chalk.

Oo0AahCantona

90 minutes total doesn't even qualify as a 'start'. We can discuss his performances but there's simply no conclusions to be drawn until he's played at least a few full games.
Oh ofcourse, i stress i really rate him and i think he will turn out a bargain for the price. but looking objectively at his 2 appearences in pre season, he hasn't been close to his Southampton form.

Brightonian

Oh ofcourse, i stress i really rate him and i think he will turn out a bargain for the price. but looking objectively at his 2 appearences in pre season, he hasn't been close to his Southampton form.
Nah, but he's not been playing in his Southampton position either, not really. Until we sort out this wing-back position better I wouldn't expect anyone to make it work, let alone a kid who's hardly even kicked a ball for us.

Lane

Anyone who is at top club at 19 could be world class.

jason93

Anyone who is at top club at 19 could be world class.
It's the other way around for me. Another poster brought up about me watching Carlos at 19 and That further proves my point that there too much pressure on Shaw to live up to the hype and transfer at such a young age. Carlos hadn't got that pressure.

I don't "not like" Shaw. I just don't think he's worth 30m. Still don't. I wanted Coentrao, Ricardo Rodriguez or Alex Sandro instead. But that's gone, he's ours now. I don't think he'll be world class. I don't think he'll be a world beater. I think he'll be "Phil Jones" quality.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
It's the other way around for me. Another poster brought up about me watching Carlos at 19 and That further proves my point that there too much pressure on Shaw to live up to the hype and transfer at such a young age. Carlos hadn't got that pressure.

I don't "not like" Shaw. I just don't think he's worth 30m. Still don't. I wanted Coentrao, Ricardo Rodriguez or Alex Sandro instead. But that's gone, he's ours now. I don't think he'll be world class. I don't think he'll be a world beater. I think he'll be "Phil Jones" quality.
He's already garnered more credit as a defender than Jones probably has and is nothing like him in playing style so I'd like to know where you're going with that.

FromTheBench

He is adapting to a new club and bit different position which he isn't really ideally suited for. Still he's done Okay and had some good moments today.

He has all the attributes to be top class. Don't really have concerns about him.

Actually would be interesting to see him play a game at LCB in this formation. The role Blackett was playing today.

jason93

He's already garnered more credit as a defender than Jones probably has and is nothing like him in playing style so I'd like to know where you're going with that.
I mean he won't be any better at LB than Phil Jones already is at CB. They're about equal quality.

Lane

And dozen of others have. Maldini was playing at Milan at 19, with the same hype, there was not a transfer, but the pressure on him was huge. Rio did okay and he was a british transfer record even at Leeds. Buffon was and still is the most expensive GK, while he was like 22 or 23, but he is a GK. A lot of players did deliver while had huge transfers early on in their career.

bugmat

He looked OK - he showed great pace to get that ball past their RB. It's early days and it's a new role for him so not concerned at all. At 19 & in July, he has time to adapt

beergod

New club and a new position that doesn't take advantage of his best attribute (one vs. one defending) and highlights the fact that he isn't one of those newfangled failed attacker conversions. I think he will be underwhelming until the coaching staff have time to help him with his attacking game. However, I think it will help him out greatly in the long-term because it will force him to focus on improving his attacking play.

pseudo_canadian

It's his second 45-minutes, FFS.
Seriously. Anyone getting on his back at the moment is being ridiculous. He's just turned 19 years old and has joined the biggest club in the world and is expected to replace a long-time veteran at LB. He's a quality player for fecks sake, let him settle in rather than hounding him after not even playing a full match yet.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

I'd agree with you but you thought Ashley Young was gonna be great so I can't trust your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.