Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Worst outfield player again tonight. Tried to dribble past two men from the back without cover and exposed us. Sure he'll come good eventually, but Blind is a far better option for now. Poor guy lacks in confidence right now.

Fracture90

Worst outfield player again tonight. Tried to dribble past two men from the back without cover and exposed us. Sure he'll come good eventually, but Blind is a far better option for now. Poor guy lacks in confidence right now.
Nonsense. He messed up that single time with holding the ball for too long but don't forget he did intercept oppo pass prior to that.

He completley neutralised Ham's right side.

m1y2

yeah utter nonsense, he looked solid, he was subbed off because he got injured

Jaybomb

We were better when he came off in my opinion.

I just think Blind is a better LB.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was alright. What did he injure? Thought Mourinho just subbed him off randomly at first.
We were better when he came off in my opinion.

I just think Blind is a better LB.
Blind is a lot better technically and with his passing/crossing, which is really useful to have out there considering our fullbacks get in advanced positions a lot. That's what I always said Shaw needs to improve the most. Before leg break, the weak part of his game was still the attacking side, knowing when to overlap, when to float it in or cut it back, knowing what passes to play, etc.. Plenty of time to improve, but for now Blind is definitely a better choice out there I think.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was alright. What did he injure? Thought Mourinho just subbed him off randomly at first.

Blind is a lot better technically and with his passing/crossing, which is really useful to have out there considering our fullbacks get in advanced positions a lot. That's what I always said Shaw needs to improve the most. Before leg break, the weak part of his game was still the attacking side, knowing when to overlap, when to float it in or cut it back, knowing what passes to play, etc.. Plenty of time to improve, but for now Blind is definitely a better choice out there I think.
Yet Blind cost us a goal a game consistently!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yet Blind cost us a goal a game consistently!
How has blind cost us a goal a game? He's a better choice because he is a lot better on the ball and offers a lot more going forward. Coming up against trickier wingers I would pick Shaw, but games where we dominate, shaw doesnt offer much.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How has blind cost us a goal a game? He's a better choice because he is a lot better on the ball and offers a lot more going forward. Coming up against trickier wingers I would pick Shaw, but games where we dominate, shaw doesnt offer much.
Shaw is coming back from injury and will be for a little time yet. Blind is a poor defender that regularly makes mistakes. Last night he nearly cost us a goal but that's part of the course with him the other 44 minutes yes he's a good player but he always gives chances away.

Devil81

I personally hope we sign a new left back, Valencia has made the right back slot his own but Shaw is clearly struggling. Whether this related to his injury or not he's not come back in good condition, I think he's carrying weight and struggling.

Irrational.

I personally hope we sign a new left back, Valencia has made the right back slot his own but Shaw is clearly struggling. Whether this related to his injury or not he's not come back in good condition, I think he's carrying weight and struggling.
Give him a chance. He's young and is still getting up to speed and confidence after his long injury layoff.

I remember Valencia suffered a very similar injury and it set him back quite a bit, and now I would say he's been arguably our player of the season so far.

Anyone know the reason behind the sub yesterday? Jose hasn't mentioned anything about an injury...

NoLogo

The weight thing is something I also noticed since he came back from his injury. He always looked a bit stocky but now he looks round, especially his face. He definitely doesn't look like an athlete in top physical condition.

Bwuk

The weight thing is something I also noticed since he came back from his injury. I he always looked a bit stocky but now he looks round, especially his face. He definitely doesn't look like an athlete in top physical condition.
He's not. Shaw is over-weight.

I think Jose will sign another left back, be it in January or in the summer.

Shaw won't make it at United imo. I really was excited by him when we signed him from Southampton, but can anyone say he's gotten any better since then?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Shaw won't make it at United imo. I really was excited by him when we signed him from Southampton, but can anyone say he's gotten any better since then?
He was improving until the injury.

In his first season he was good defensively, but offered very little going forward.

In his second season he was good defensively, and had also improved his attacking threat significantly until he got injured (to the extent that most considered him our best player to that point in the season).

This third season he's come back from that injury and defensively he's a bit shaky and his attack has gone back to how it was in the first season where he wasn't offering much.

The question now is very simple. Will he, given time, get back to how he was playing in the second season before the injury? If so he'll be comfortably the best leftback in England and amongst the best in the world. Or has that injury taken too much from him (either physically or mentally) and he'll never get back to that level? My hope is that he can do enough to keep himself in and around the team for the rest of this season, then he can have a proper off-season and really kick on against next season.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I wouldn't be surprised if other top clubs are in for him, if we are stupid enough to sell him. City, Pool, Barca or PSG could all try to sign him for a penny.

Last edited:

CM

It makes me laugh when a player like Shaw gets grief for supposed weight issues yet Schweinsteiger receives a heroes welcome because he's errr... Schweinsteiger.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Before he got injured last season he was superb and our best outfield player. A few sub par performances since coming back from an horrific injury which will take time and some fans want to bin him.

Pathetic.

Bwuk

He played a total of 8 games in this so called superb form. He's played 11 this season, and 20 the season before.

How can people claim he's this potential world class left back? Without taking into account the injury season, his other two here he was never established as our main left back.

TheReligion

Abusive
Give him a chance. He's young and is still getting up to speed and confidence after his long injury layoff.

I remember Valencia suffered a very similar injury and it set him back quite a bit, and now I would say he's been arguably our player of the season so far.

Anyone know the reason behind the sub yesterday? Jose hasn't mentioned anything about an injury...
He gestured to the bench just before half time that he needed to come off. Must have picked up a knock/pull.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The weight thing is something I also noticed since he came back from his injury. He always looked a bit stocky but now he looks round, especially his face. He definitely doesn't look like an athlete in top physical condition.
I think so too but that should be rather easy to do something about.

Rossa

In all fairness, there are simply too many footballers who don't look like top athletes. Even if you are a Mata type player, you benefit from being in top physical condition; shedding weight and having the right amount of muscle makes you faster, more agile, better stamina, which will reflect on your decison making, technique as the game wears on etc. I recall Downing looking completely out of shape at one point, and that was a winger who was quite quick and had potential - imagine what he could have been - Ando being the perfect example. Then you have fairly average players, like Milner, who are in great physical condition and make up for other shortcomings because of that.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You'd think - but Rooney has carried a few pounds too many for several seasons now. Fat Ronaldo was named, well, fat Ronaldo for a reason.
When you work out as much as they do it's time to look at what you eat.

derace

they all have special diets or do you think he comes home and makes himself some burgers and drinks a bottle coke with it?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
they all have special diets or do you think he comes home and makes himself some burgers and drinks a bottle coke with it?
You'd think so but who knows. He does look heavier than before his injury.

johanovic

Should we not cut the guy a little slack, coming back from a injury like his is by no means easy and it´s common that other injuries follow while getting back to a previous standard. Suffering a career threatning injury for a young bloke and dealing with the mental side of things as well at a pressure club like United can´t be easy. He needs time, support and I´m sure he will come back to form he was in before this dreadful injury, I at least still have a horrific picture in my mind of seeing this happen.

Reactions: Penna

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'd imagine sticking to the special diets is the tricky bit. Footballers have a lot of time to sit around doing feck all, in any given day. Which must make it even easier than it is for us mere mortals to have a few more tasty snacks than we're supposed to be eating.

Big Andy

Bloke
There was a video from his Southampton days, like a player diary or something...they're interviewing this player, and Luke Shaw, about 16 years old, walks in, all puppy fat, chowing down on a bag of crisps...

Rossa

When you work out as much as they do it's time to look at what you eat.
Indeed, but I've heard that some footballers, at least in Norway, don't really work out that much - like Steffen Iverson for instance. Hopefully that has improved by now. A professional footballer can have every meal prepared for him, and with the amount they should be working out, they should be able to eat a shitload.

marlowe78

I thought he played fine, to be honest. He has a bad habit of waiting until the last moment to shut down but he's only a kid yet.

Kag

He's not particularily overweight but he does look heavier so perhaps it's a case of just dropping a few pounds? That could make a difference.
Shaw has repeatedly been accused of being overweight and it's never, ever been true.

He's even had to put to bed this nonsense before on social media with pictures. He's a big lad but in great nick.

m1y2

what are you on about some of you, he was pretty good last game and he's 21 and already showed world class form just before the injury which halted his development... some ppl here, overweight, should be sold etc...:lol: not long time ago the same ppl were buying a new rb to replace valencia who was slated almost exactly the same way.. get a grip he will surely turn good

ti vu

He's only 21 ffs. If Rojo can transfer his form as CB to LB then perhaps we can loan Shaw out after next season (need to monitor his injury for now) and get a back up left back (see how CBJ does)

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Shaw has repeatedly been accused of being overweight and it's never, ever been true.

He's even had to put to bed this nonsense before on social media with pictures. He's a big lad but in great nick.
I think he looks bigger than he used to but he's a young player and will hopefully have many years at the club.

Why are people so defensive about his weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.