Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I don't get it. We try to move up. Even if we failed, setting goal/ the mentality to get there is always required. So we shouldn't set goal to get back , but Okay for the players to play however they want because we can't get there? Accept defeatist mentality? :confused: Confused...

Southampton first few seasons back in PL, avoiding relegation was good enough.
I phrased it wrong. Southampton are a really good side and should not be disparaged as just a midtable side since that is what we sort of are right now. We should not act like this is Shaw's first time playing Football now and completely discount what he did at Southampton. I also get annoyed with people that make it seem like Pogba is under pressure for the first time when he spent four seasons at the pressure cooker of Juve.

ti vu

I phrased it wrong. Southampton are a really good side and should not be disparaged as just a midtable side since that is what we sort of are right now. We should not act like this is Shaw's first time playing Football now and completely discount what he did at Southampton. I also get annoyed with people that make it seem like Pogba is under pressure for the first time when he spent four seasons at the pressure cooker of Juve.
Pogba didn't meet expectation and being outright world class, but he is very good, and already at required level claiming a first indisputable first team place in our midfield. Pogba at Juventus was not an established player, but also a great player.

Schneiderlin did struggle with us while even more established at Southampton than Shaw. Shaw did well and that forced us to pay that price for him. He was unlucky with injuries, but only got few good games for us, and hadwas potentially adapted to LVG's philosophy before leg break. Changing from LVG to Mourinho style is difficult too. Even Smalling struggled when he has physical attributes fit this style to the T. Blind is not Mourinho's CB and only an attacking LB option losing his starting status under Mourinho too (where Darmian is preferred as defensive option). Change can affect any players, not just Shaw. So comparison, relating between Pogba & Shaw ain't fair for either.

The jump from Southampton to United, even when we're at low point is still difficult, is hugh. We ain't satisfied with our current position & needed sharp improvement, so the players ain't afforded the time. Less now than under SAF when we don't have a starting XI to carry the underperforming players. Even Southampton as (lower) midtable team had this stability back then.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
JM treatment on Shaw is the same as he did to Mkhi. We'll make a big mistake if we let shaw go. If Delle Alli is United Player now, JM will critisize him too. JM reign is not heaven for young talent/player.

Oh, and there's one thing that still make me wonder, If JM persist on integrating Fellaini into the midfield three, why he did not even bother to try to play Blind in those position. I'm sure with runners in the side like Rashford and Lingard, Blind distribution from midfiled will have greater impact on the side than Fellaini abbility in heading the ball and chest controll skill.
What a load of nonsense. Mourinho does not criticize Shaw because he's young, this 'Mourinho hates youth' narrative has really grown old.

prath92

This is stupid. The only reason he critiscized Shaw is because he is not working hard enough (which isn't a big surprise considering his overall season) and that he can do better. Mourinho didn't have any bad words to say about Memphis for instance.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just watched the Jose's conference when he talked about Shaw, Jose said "I tell you because I told him already", so does that mean Jose informed Shaw what he is going to speak in Press?

Also he praised him a lot, his general qualities and his contribution to the team.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
"The attitude is improving, the training is improving," Mourinho said. "The opportunities are coming, but not in a way that if he doesn't perform especially well he doesn't come back into the team again, it's just the process of education, education as a player obviously, and today is an opportunity to play.

"A mistake can come, we know that a mistake at Manchester United level we pay for the mistakes but the reality is he is a young player and if his attitude improves like he is improving lately opportunities are always coming."

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shaw needs to take this opportunity. Mourinho has laid down the gauntlet and it's up to him to step up. Typical Jose, great stuff.

Zoo

Would have been a great assist. Good half from him.

3KDré

Playing well. We're all rooting for him and I really hope he is a regular from here on out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Understandably a bit rusty, but brilliant performance so far, otherwise.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Red card waiting to happen, Pawson will want to level it up in the second half

Skills

Snitch
His runs are excellent, just some intent from full back makes a huge difference.

Ferguson

He looks tentative and unsure of himself. It seems like a lack of fitness and then he will pop up with a run or tackle that says otherwise.

But I still think a half-speed Shaw looks more dangerous than any of our other left backs this season.

I have a hunch that he just needs real matches in order to get his feel back.

Tarrou

The run for Zlatan's goal might not have made any difference, but it was the sort of run the attackers need to help drag defenders wide and create space through the middle.

I do wonder though if Valencia was playing Jose would've told Shaw to be the one to hang back more.

NinjaFletch

I feel like he's had a decent game. Seems to have responded in the right way to being called out at least.

jungledrums

The run for Zlatan's goal might not have made any difference, but it was the sort of run the attackers need to help drag defenders wide and create space through the middle.

I do wonder though if Valencia was playing Jose would've told Shaw to be the one to hang back more.
I don't see why there's an issue with both fullbacks being as progressive going forward. Obviously, both wouldn't go at the same time, but if the ball is on the left, the left back should have license to go forward, and the same should apply on the right.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Hope he builds from this first half performance. Very good attacking display.

Maybe Jose comments helped but he proved that he was capable of playing at the very high level before. He was always destined to have problems with inconsistency at his age and after that injury, though.

Tarrou

I don't see why there's an issue with both fullbacks being as progressive going forward. Obviously, both wouldn't go at the same time, but if the ball is on the left, the left back should have license to go forward, and the same should apply on the right.
Yeah I agree I just don't remember us doing that under Jose much.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Man of the match worthy performance so far, good for him! :)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's more to do with how the midfield covers the space the attacking fullback leaves behind. If you have both going forward the deepest midfielder has twice the area to patrol.

Skills

Snitch

This, it was a great run. Thought I was the only one to notice

Skills

Snitch
It's more to do with how the midfield covers the space the attacking fullback leaves behind. If you have both going forward the deepest midfielder has twice the area to patrol.
Surely against most of the crap in the league, you just back your defenders to be able to deal with it?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

If Valencia was playing I think Blind would have started.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good game, that. Bit disappointed he went off early.

Status
Not open for further replies.