Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Been great last 2 games, his pace down the left flank and willingness to get forwards at any oppurtunity is a huge asset.

Some may despute Jose's strategy with regards to the way he chooses to motivate and inspire his players, but you cannot deny that it's working. Miki responded and now it seems Luke Shaw has also.

Controversial but effective. Well played Jose.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why wasn't he playing earlier!

acnumber9

He played well but he was also clearly tired. His stamina has to be a real concern.

NinjaFletch

He played well but he was also clearly tired. His stamina has to be a real concern.
He's lacking 'match rhythm' to quote a Van Gaalism. It's not a concern, as long as he keeps getting minutes he'll get up to speed quickly.

acnumber9

He's lacking 'match rhythm' to quote a Van Gaalism. It's not a concern, as long as he keeps getting minutes he'll get up to speed quickly.
I'm not so sure. I think this will always be a problem for Shaw. It's no coincidence his best football for Utd came after him spending the summer working with a personal trainer. The Fenerbache game when his problems of being left out started he looked like he needed an oxygen tent.

Walters_19_MuFc

Felt he was really good today. Up and down the pitch. Played some nice passes and was positive every time he got the ball. He's obviously not up to speed at the moment because he hasn't been playing often. Hoping after today's performance he'll get a few more chances, though.

Well that's due to not playing. A few consecutive games on the bounce instead of playing him then dropping him should do him a world of good.

NinjaFletch

I'm not so sure. I think this will always be a problem for Shaw. It's no coincidence his best football for Utd came after him spending the summer working with a personal trainer. The Fenerbache game when his problems of being left out started he looked like he needed an oxygen tent.
Possibly, but it's not a situation thats going to be improved by him not playing.

It's not ideal but plenty of players have been able to have perfectly good careers despite seeming to lack natural athleticism (or probably more accurately despite slacking off with their diet and fitness regime). Rooney would be a good example.

acnumber9

Felt he was really good today. Up and down the pitch. Played some nice passes and was positive every time he got the ball. He's obviously not up to speed at the moment because he hasn't been playing often. Hoping after today's performance he'll get a few more chances, though.

Well that's due to not playing. A few consecutive games on the bounce instead of playing him then dropping him should do him a world of good.
Like I've said since I think he's a player that will always require more management than other to keep him in shape. He clearly can't be trusted to do it himself. Playing will help but keeping himself in shape will help more.

MadMike

He played 2 very good balls one of which led to the 2nd goal, but the better of them was fluffed by Fel. Defensively he was solid too, as Jose said.

He provides really good width down the left. None of the other players we have are capable of doing that. Young plays the LB role by constantly facing our goal and passing backwards. Darmian craps himself when reaches the half-way line, so he never ventures forward. Blind's the only one capable of provide any width but his lack of pace at LB is very very telling, when he loses the ball and has to track back.

Let's hope Luke starts more games going forward. For both his and our sake.

acnumber9

Possibly, but it's not a situation thats going to be improved by him not playing.

It's not ideal but plenty of players have been able to have perfectly good careers despite seeming to lack natural athleticism (or probably more accurately despite slacking off with their diet and fitness regime). Rooney would be a good example.
He is a good example but he always required a boot up he hole on occasion. I think Shaw will be the same.

Walters_19_MuFc

Like I've said since I think he's a player that will always require more management than other to keep him in shape. He clearly can't be trusted to do it himself. Playing will help but keeping himself in shape will help more.
The thing is, he didn't have that problem at Southampton. Didn't seem to be an issue anyway.

MadMike

Maybe he should move in with Tony V. He'll have him eating nothing but chicken salad every day and up on the treadmill by 7am every morning.

Devil may care

Good performance especially when you consider how little he has played and the current scrutiny he is under.

izzydiggler

I think Shaw's inclusion in other games this year would have yielded better results than we have got - he's clearly a better option than Darmian, Young, Rojo or Blind. I think it shows the job that Mourinho is having to do behind the scenes with player's attitudes and ability to follow instructions.

He doesn't care if you're a better player - likely explains why Martial and Shaw especially have been targets for criticism and out the team behind 'lesser' players (IMO)...and you assume Mkitaryan earlier in the season. I'd assume Fellaini is a sponge for instructions and it's why he is such a big part of his team, being named captain today. Basically, it doesn't matter who you are, if you aren't on his wavelength, you're gone. Will reap the rewards in years to come but I can't help think that we'd be in a better league position if the likes of Shaw had played more games.

In any case, looked good today.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Why wasn't he playing earlier!
If his attitude wasn't good he shouldn't play.

He looked good today so lets hope that continues and he gets lots hope he gets a lot of football going forward.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Been great last 2 games, his pace down the left flank and willingness to get forwards at any oppurtunity is a huge asset.

Some may despute Jose's strategy with regards to the way he chooses to motivate and inspire his players, but you cannot deny that it's working. Miki responded and now it seems Luke Shaw has also.

Controversial but effective. Well played Jose.
Why should getting Shaw and Mkhitaryan to play well for less than 1/3 of the season be celebrated? It might have worked in the long run - we can't say either way yet - but should we laud the fact it took so long?

Art

Art the artist
Good to see Jose recognize Shaw's performance in the post match interview.

We need an rvn

If the rumours/articles of his parents / Jose having a word about his personal lifestyle not being right have hit home - then great if this is the result.

Good performance and happy for him but nothing more than expected of a £30m left-back against a club bottom of the league and due to be relegated - but I need this vs every opposition until the end of the season before being convinced he won't be sold.

Alabaster Codify7

Did well today, hopefully the substitution was just precautionary and he'll start at Anderlecht. He's definitely without a doubt our best option at LB when his head's in the game and he's fit.

Chip

Good to see him playing again. It would be brilliant if he could get up to speed again. Would be just like a new signing.

ti vu

While people are raving other thing like passing, crossing, run... what impressed me today is how he blend with the flow of our play. We're to play this game slow & conserve energy for the following week. It's often the slower game that is harder to play it right as it would require more tactical awareness, positioning. Shaw did well. He's more composed than usual, timed his run well. I think it's a good sign of getting better understand of the game. IMO he's overran or was too reactive, that went back before the leg break

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Blind will only ever feel like a stand in at left back. While Shaw if he does get going could easily be a mainstay for years.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Why should getting Shaw and Mkhitaryan to play well for less than 1/3 of the season be celebrated? It might have worked in the long run - we can't say either way yet - but should we laud the fact it took so long?
i don't think we should be lauding over any successful decision making on the part of the manager, It's their job to do precisely that. Jose is widely considered one of the top coaches planet wide and success is to be expected.

As for the length of time it has taken to get a response, well I think it's more down to the recipient - in this case Luke Shaw - as opposed to the manager's strategy. Consider Shaw's career threatening injury and everything such an experience would entail before you judge him though. He needed time to get to grips with everything and small dose of tough love - Jose style - in ordering make his comeback. Personally I think Jose has handled the situation very well, as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.