Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's not how any of that works.

Fat stores are not used as fuel to play 90 minutes of football.

The less fat you have, the greater your economy of movement. Period.
Yeah, it's not even difficult to understand that you need more energy to move 3kgs than you need to move 1kgs.

Mike09

Mkhitaryan and Shaw's treatment shows the gulf in class of the management between Fergie and Mourinho. As Keane said Fergie knew what each player needed, and what they responded too. It's why he was harsher on the likes of Ferdinand and Keane. While at the same time he was a lot more mellowed towards a Ronaldo, who needed a different approach.

This is a different crop and generation now to his one at Chelsea and Inter. I'd say most of the current generation need the latter approach. It's why Ancelotti and even Zidane, have managed to get 2 CL titles out of that Madrid team. Seems like why Matic is now back to his league winning form, and Costa and Hazard are back to being stars.

From what I know about Shaw, hes from a fairly privileged background who's been a superstar since he was a kid at all levels. Mkhitaryan himself, has a previous history of suffering from low confidence. I don't know who in their right mind would reach the conclusion, that these are the type of players you publicly humiliate and breakdown to get a positive response from.
I agree with this one. Sir Alex would have dealt the situation differently. I'm sure Sir Alex understands the trauma that Shaw felt after the horific injury last season, it's not easy to get rid of it and I also understand why Shaw decided not to push himself to play when he feels pain, this situation is completely different with a player who show no commitment. Sir Alex has a soft side who cares about his players not just a manager with big ego, discipline, being scary, angry and do hair dryer treatment. Being understand about their players is one of the reason why he managed to transfer his winning mentality to his players and became champion.
But it seems Jose doesn't think the same.

Bwuk

His bodyfat percentage is too high. Not really sure why this is a debate.

dichinero

That's not how any of that works.

Fat stores are not used as fuel to play 90 minutes of football.

The less fat you have, the greater your economy of movement. Period.
Maybe fat storage for energy was the wrong choice if wording but my point is that for the long course of the season, some athletes need to have a certain range of body fat content that is determined as healthy is not their body will go into fasting more often than required. If they're put on a strict diet their muscle will start to feed on itself when fat storages are depleted. So you're are right in the context of 90 mins but 8 I was referring to a long season.

JPRouve

Scout

Bwuk

An image tells you nothing about someone body fat especially one where the player isn't naked.
???

I can tell from looking at him and Rashford that Shaw has a much higher body fat percentage. It's not rocket science.

JPRouve

Scout
???

I can tell from looking at him and Rashford that Shaw has a much higher body fat percentage. It's not rocket science.
Unless you are able to pinch Shaw through your screen, you can't.

Skills

Snitch
Exactly. If this had been Sir Alex, he would have stood by them because he realises their potential and he would certainly not hanged them out to dry and let the media make up their own minds. Yes, he was harsher on Ferdinand and Keane because they were like him; born winners and both had a winning mentality.
I think it's more they had a different backgrounds. Rio was bought up in Peckham and Keane in Cork, I'm guessing their upbringing built up a certain kind of character. A manager has to be pretty sensitive to this fact. This kinda stinks of the Michael Jordan-Kwame Brown situation, though obviously not to that degree.

woodhouseparkred

I think it's more they had a different backgrounds. Rio was bought up in Peckham and Keane in Cork, I'm guessing their upbringing built up a certain kind of character. A manager has to be pretty sensitive to this fact. This kinda stinks of the Michael Jordan-Kwame Brown situation, though obviously not to that degree.
And Sir Alex in Govan, so, yes Sir Alex was pretty empathic to their needs having come from a similar background.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hope we stick by him. He's going to become an amazing player.

I also don't see anything wrong with what he said to José. He's only just come back from that horrific injury and has already said he still occasionally feels niggles, so of course its best to be safe rather than sorry if he feels as though it'd be a risk.
The real question is how did Shaw conduct himself in front of Mourinho? Did he say that according to him it would be better to sit this one out but the medical stuff and Mourinho have the final say or did he say i'm out boss and going against the doc who's thinking otherwise?

I doubt it's the first one after Mourinho's words, but of course, i could be in the wrong here.

Mourinho wants soldiers for his chess game, i'm sure he likes the idea of having Shaw around the house because on papper the boy has what it takes, but in my eyes he's still not ripped and that's on him being lazy. Hopefully it's all gonna work out...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that the criticism towards Shaw is a bit OTT. We've got much worse players in the team then him

AR87

Young players' development is rarely linear. They almost always have peaks and valleys until they achieve consistency. Just look at Sterling's dreadful form last season and how that improved this year.

Shaw does need to buckle down and improve and I think Mourinho is within his bounds to call him out as he sees fit as the manager, but selling him shouldn't even be a consideration at this point. He's much too talented and already flashed the potential to be top class LB. I think he will come good under Mourinho and I believe that Jose believes the way he handled the situation is the way to extract the level of performance from him that he wants.

Loublaze

ATLien
Andersons natural heir?
It's not baseless though is it? Considering several managers has questioned his fitness also. He is a little bulky too.
Hodgson and Van Gaal, at the same time after world cup 2014. He hasn't had any fitness complaints since so why do you keep bringing it up based on his appearance alone when Mourinho hasn't singled him out for that? Mourinho praised Shaw for skipping his holiday in the close season as he came back to full fitness after his long injury layoff. There hasn't been a single complaint about his fitness since the summer of 2014

PedroMendez

Acolyte
This baseless fat nonsense needs to stop
Agreed.

The criticism of him is becoming absolutely ridiculous. It is one thing to criticize his recent performances, but all this wheel-chair analysis about his fitness is lunacy. He is one of our most talented youngster, who is coming back from a long injury. I don’t remember any tangible wrongdoing from him. Maybe we shouldn’t throw him under the bus.

If a few bad performances are enough for this kind of reaction, we can literarily write of every single player except ddg. Maybe we shouldn’t take Mourinho’s public statements about players as gospel…..

I am seriously worried if we can’t get him going, because talented full-backs are hard to come by. In the long run a team full of industrious, but limited player won’t win anything. We need the likes of Martial and Shaw to come good.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Hodgson and Van Gaal, at the same time after world cup 2014. He hasn't had any fitness complaints since so why do you keep bringing it up based on his appearance alone when Mourinho hasn't singled him out for that? Mourinho praised Shaw for skipping his holiday in the close season as he came back to full fitness after his long injury layoff. There hasn't been a single complaint about his fitness since the summer of 2014
Except for the Caf, where people know better than professional athletes, coaches, physios etc. ;)

VanGaalEra

He's worked hard since the Swansea game and I think that's exactly what Jose wanted to see.

top1whoisman

Scout
He's been training alone at the club when others have had days off.
Where'd you get that info? I think he took a personal trainer to his holiday in Dubai with him in summer 2015. So based on that he's worked hard before, too.

Mike09

He's been training alone at the club when others have had days off.
@VanGaalEra you can't just say "he's been training alone at the club when others have had days off" based on an Instagram video. What if the other players always jog every morning to stay fit? What if some other players have been training harder than Shaw but they didn't show them off? I believe Shaw always work hard but I just don't like when you said when other players had days off because you have no proof if the other players are actually not training hard.

VanGaalEra

@VanGaalEra you can't just say "he's been training alone at the club when others have had days off" based on an Instagram video. What if the other players always jog every morning to stay fit? What if some other players have been training harder than Shaw but they didn't show them off? I believe Shaw always work hard but I just don't like when you said when other players had days off because you have no proof if the other players are actually not training hard.
I'm not talking about his Instagram videos, it was reported in the MEN and other outlets that the day after Swansea he was training along in a bid to get fit.

3KDré

Not sure if serious but people have different body frames. Even when Luke Shaw was extremely fit he looked bigger than Rashford.
When he was extremely fit Rashford was still playing for the U18s. How could you compare them?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Whatever the scenario, it's a bit worrying that someone his age is having to do extra training sessions to get fit.

top1whoisman

Scout
Whatever the scenario, it's a bit worrying that someone his age is having to do extra training sessions to get fit.
:lol: I'm pretty sure a lot of young footballers do extra sessions to improve/recover from injuries. Doesn't mean they're unfit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Maybe fat storage for energy was the wrong choice if wording but my point is that for the long course of the season, some athletes need to have a certain range of body fat content that is determined as healthy is not their body will go into fasting more often than required. If they're put on a strict diet their muscle will start to feed on itself when fat storages are depleted. So you're are right in the context of 90 mins but 8 I was referring to a long season.
That's all incorrect too.

Athletes should be athletically built. They don't carry extra fat to see them through a season. Carrying any extra weight increases the rate of injury and fatigue. Footballers eat great, they are regularly tested, measured and analysed. There's zero reason for any of them to carry any extra fat outside of their optimised operating range.

It's not for me to say whether Shaw is at his optimum weight range. I'd say he probably is. My cousins partner played for a Championship side and they were weighed weekly by the club and most weighed themselves daily. Weight has a huge impact on performance. I can't see any United player being overweight during season time in this day and age.

dichinero

That's all incorrect too.

Athletes should be athletically built. They don't carry extra fat to see them through a season. Carrying any extra weight increases the rate of injury and fatigue. Footballers eat great, they are regularly tested, measured and analysed. There's zero reason for any of them to carry any extra fat outside of their optimised operating range.

It's not for me to say whether Shaw is at his optimum weight range. I'd say he probably is. My cousins partner played for a Championship side and they were weighed weekly by the club and most weighed themselves daily. Weight has a huge impact on performance. I can't see any United player being overweight during season time in this day and age.
Which is my point, I believe Shaw is at his optimum fat level and not carrying extra fat as suggested here. Going less could also have an offset on the blanace of his metabolism.

Mike09

I'm not talking about his Instagram videos, it was reported in the MEN and other outlets that the day after Swansea he was training along in a bid to get fit.
It doesn't matter because MEN got it from Shaw's Instagram. Are you telling me MEN got all the contents by their own camera or phone? And that's not the point. The point is that I just don't like when you said when other players had days off because you have no proof if the other players are actually not training hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.