Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He's got a high body fat percentage, so those who are saying he's 'fat' aren't entirely wrong. Obviously the sports science side of the club will monitor this closely and relate to his own personal body type, but I'd expect he's in a very low percentage of footballers who have that much excess body weight (whether it be water retention or fat).

You can tell he has excess estrogen levels, hence the look of his chest and hip areas. I'd say he'd have to work even harder than Rooney, who whilst similar, has always had an extremely dense muscular build.

Goodness me! Luke Shaw was never fat and has never been fat as a professional. The kid is 6ft plus and is a big boned but he was not fat! The guy just has a body that is bigger than the average FB. LvG's message was lost in translation. He is big, not fat! Packing on fat? Turning to food from depression? This place! :houllier:
He's obviously not fat by most standards but he's quite clearly heavier than he was at the start of last season, and based on how sluggish he is heavier than he should be. He has abs but you can tell he stores weight easily and will need to work hard to manage it over his career.

dichinero

He's got a high body fat percentage, so those who are saying he's 'fat' aren't entirely wrong. Obviously the sports science side of the club will monitor this closely and relate to his own personal body type, but I'd expect he's in a very low percentage of footballers who have that much excess body weight (whether it be water retention or fat).

You can tell he has excess estrogen levels, hence the look of his chest and hip areas. I'd say he'd have to work even harder than Rooney, who whilst similar, has always had an extremely dense muscular build.
Sorry but this is just off. Is that what you call high body fat percentage? I'm a PT and that is not a high body fat percentage in any way! Excess oestrogen level? Where are you getting this information from? Just by looking at his chest and hips? Just because he isn't cut like an Elokobi, doesn't mean he has excess fat or excess oestrogen levels. I'm sorry but your claims are just off!
The lengths some people are going to undermine the kid since that José comment is ridiculous.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When exactly is that picture of Shaw been taken? Because he sure as hell didn't look like that in the City game. Stocky or not he looked like he was overweight in that game and you can tell by the way he was struggling to handle the pace of Navas. Fit Shaw never struggles for pace.

dichinero

When exactly is that picture of Shaw been taken? Because he sure as hell didn't look like that in the City game. Stocky or not he looked like he was overweight in that game and you can tell by the way he was struggling to handle the pace of Navas. Fit Shaw never struggles for pace.
Comparing those two is so unfair. At their fittest, Shaw will still have at least 10kg on Navas easily. You have to take height and overall bone structure into consideration. Navas is one if the ectomorphs in the league. Shaw still did well in the second half anyway.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Comparing those two is so unfair. At their fittest, Shaw will still have at least 10kg on Navas easily. You have to take height and overall bone structure into consideration. Navas is one if the ectomorphs in the league. Shaw still did well in the second half anyway.
I couldn't give a feck what morph you are.. By any standards he was unfit in that game and Luke Shaw at his peak fitness does not struggle against Navas types he's a excellent defender.

Yes it takes him more effort to stay in shape but he clearly wasn't in shape that game.

People need to stop making excuses and using a picture from months ago where he clearly looked in good shape. I highly doubt his body looked like that during the city game.

buckooo1978

I wonder has he spent too much time with Memphis in the gym and it's muscle rather than being stocky due to a weight problem

You'd want Shaw to place more onus on pace than strength in his training

I think he's responded well to Van Gaal saying the same sorts of things.... I expect him to respond well again

I do hope Mourinho shuts his mouth now in public about Shaw

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Sorry but this is just off. Is that what you call high body fat percentage? I'm a PT and that is not a high body fat percentage in any way! Excess oestrogen level? Where are you getting this information from? Just by looking at his chest and hips? Just because he isn't cut like an Elokobi, doesn't mean he has excess fat or excess oestrogen levels. I'm sorry but your claims are just off!
The lengths some people are going to undermine the kid since that José comment is ridiculous.
Then as a PT you'll know for an elite athlete he is in a extremely low percentage of the top, top 5% of his profession that have that much excess weight. Call it body fat, BMI (which as you'll know is useless) or whatever but he clearly either holds more weight due to his metabolism or because of the way he trains/fuels his body.

An easy comparison for you, have a look at the modern day full back or even older generation full backs and tell me if any resemble Shaw. I'm not slating the boy, but to deny what I have said is naive. I'm more than well placed to comment on this, just as you seem to be.

EDIT - Sorry I shouldn't have said he has a high body fat percentage, I was referencing in terms interms of athletes and not the average fan.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I wonder has he spent too much time with Memphis in the gym and it's muscle rather than being stocky due to a weight problem

You'd want Shaw to place more onus on pace than strength in his training

I think he's responded well to Van Gaal saying the same sorts of things.... I expect him to respond well again

I do hope Mourinho shuts his mouth now in public about Shaw
Curse that Memphis!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The way we are reading this thread, it seems that most have given up on him. I mean, he is only 21 years of age so why don't we just give the guy a break. Also, if it goes against popular opinion on here, then so be it, but I would prefer to have someone like Shaw who is in top physical condition (according to his own opinion) rather than Blind. If he knows that he is not in good condition, then he will do something about it. All this speculation that he is out of condition because he is fat and is about as factually correct as the Daily Mail.
Poor choice of words friend.

woodhouseparkred

Poor choice of words friend.
I do apologise and it was rather late. My bad @ivaldo

I couldn't give a feck what morph you are.. By any standards he was unfit in that game and Luke Shaw at his peak fitness does not struggle against Navas types he's a excellent defender.

Yes it takes him more effort to stay in shape but he clearly wasn't in shape that game.

People need to stop making excuses and using a picture from months ago where he clearly looked in good shape. I highly doubt his body looked like that during the city game.
I am a skinny guy (around 6'2" and 12st 3lbs) and have had a body structure of a Jesus Navas, which means I am slim, skinny legs and god knows what else. I work with a colleague who is the same height, almost the same weight, but his hands are like shovels and envelope mine when we shake hands. Most are just trying to find excuses just to attack Luke Shaw here and like I said, it really isn't fair considering his age. He has the potential to make it, and I think it would be a mistake for the club to get rid.

Furthermore, has it occured to anyone that Shaw may have increased muscle mass for a reason:

https://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/wellness/whole-body-vibration-and-bone-density/

The action of vibrating breaks down the muscle cells and when they rebuild, they become stronger. The vibration also excites the osteoblasts that are in the bones, which are responsible for bone growth. The more the osteoblasts are excited, the stronger that the bones get. Vibrating increases this effect while you are exercising to help give your body the maximum of benefits.

dichinero

Then as a PT you'll know for an elite athlete he is in a extremely low percentage of the top, top 5% of his profession that have that much excess weight. Call it body fat, BMI (which as you'll know is useless) or whatever but he clearly either holds more weight due to his metabolism or because of the way he trains/fuels his body.

An easy comparison for you, have a look at the modern day full back or even older generation full backs and tell me if any resemble Shaw. I'm not slating the boy, but to deny what I have said is naive. I'm more than well placed to comment on this, just as you seem to be.

EDIT - Sorry I shouldn't have said he has a high body fat percentage, I was referencing in terms interms of athletes and not the average fan.
I'm not disputing too much but you will find very few FB that are 6ft plus and above. FB and wingers usually have the smallest stature of all positions, he is bigger than many CB, which is why it is difficult to compare with the average FB. Even is that, he manages to clock some decent speeds. By this you should be able to appreciate what the kid is up against physically.

Sports that require endurance for a long period of time do not require athletes to have a very very low body fat percentage. Actually IIRC, the average PL body fat percentage is somewhere between 10-15% because they will the energy from fat storages for the 90 min intensity, for a very long season.

You wonder why some foreign players with low fat tend to struggle to keep up or finish games in their first season. The PL is intense and one has to get the balance spot on. Not too fat that you can keep with the pace and agility and not too thin that you don't wipe out after 60mins. No, doubt that there are some skinny players that last most games but their nutrition is based on high fat and carbs content.

My point is that Shaw is in a very good fat percentage range, LvG probably meant that he needs to lose body mass, muscle mass in this sense because he is a huge kid. This is harder work than losing fat I promise you. Same as with Memphis who was probably I'll advised to bulk up to match the PL . It's harder to shed muscle mass while maintaining a decent body fat and keep your athleticism than putting it on.

Shaw will come good, at least I hope like I do for all young players. But he hardly has a fat problem but maybe the coaches just want to be a similar weight with the average FB which is understandable but asking a lot.

Loublaze

ATLien
He fecking handled Navas in the second half though. Stop making assumptions

How do you know what his body looked like? Did he take his shirt off? Come on man

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He fecking handled Navas in the second half though. Stop making assumptions

How do you know what his body looked like? Did he take his shirt off? Come on man
You could tell from his shirt, you could tell by the way he was moving around the pitch. Look I think he gets alot of stick for his weight, much of it undeserved.. at the start of the season he didn't look fat to me.. but after that Watford game, I don't know if the lack of games really affected his fitness but he definitely looked out of shape by his own standards.

Handled Navas second half just about, he was extremely bad in the first half.. his worst performance in a United shirt. It is understandable though if he was unfit and just not at the races, can happen to anyone.

I personally dislike the way he's been handled by Jose, I think an arm round the shoulder and getting into the kids head could hopefully push him to a higher level but after seeing those tweets by his brother and the rumours about him and his ties to the press, I can see why Jose possible doesn't want to show the kid patience but wants to put him in his place.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
So let me get this straight. It’s obvious that he’s fat based on the sight of him wearing a shirt whereas a picture without a shirt doesn’t tell the whole truth.

Skills

Snitch
So let me get this straight. It’s obvious that he’s fat based on the sight of him wearing a shirt whereas a picture without a shirt doesn’t tell the whole truth.
This :lol:

Just adding to that, he somehow got more fat being in full time training in Mourinho's regime than when he had an entire fecking year off rehabbing from a broken leg.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I don't care what he looks like or how much he weighs. He needs to play better.

woodhouseparkred

I don't care what he looks like or how much he weighs. He needs to play better.

This is applicable to the whole team. If the motivation is not coming from the manager, then who is there to motivate these players. Again, this would never happen if the gaffer had been here.

Edit:

Thanks to @Niall here is a video which explains how the great man inspired and revolutionised football in the English league. Seems that everyone from David Moyes to José Mourinho has managed to mess up what was described as a "family atmosphere", when he was around. If you are injured, you get support, if you are ill, you get support, and you most certainly don't criticise players when they have come off a terrible injury.

Traub

My main issue with him is he seems to care way too much what the public think. He should just put his head down and train. None of this Instagram bollocks.

top1whoisman

Scout
My main issue with him is he seems to care way too much what the public think. He should just put his head down and train. None of this Instagram bollocks.
Based on Instagram activity, 99% of athletes care too much what the public think.

top1whoisman

Scout
Lallana’s comments:

"I was with Luke Shaw at Southampton," he told the Daily Star.

"He's a very strong boy. He's had a horrific leg injury. You don't come back from that without being mentally and physically strong.

"You don't come back from a leg break like he had without having difficult times mentally on your own."

Kostur

海尔的老板
This is applicable to the whole team. If the motivation is not coming from the manager, then who is there to motivate these players. Again, this would never happen if the gaffer had been here.

Edit:

Thanks to @Niall here is a video which explains how the great man inspired and revolutionised football in the English league. Seems that everyone from David Moyes to José Mourinho has managed to mess up what was described as a "family atmosphere", when he was around. If you are injured, you get support, if you are ill, you get support, and you most certainly don't criticise players when they have come off a terrible injury.

But he is not and people have to come to terms with it. You could apply this 'if gaffer was here' to probably 4-5 players who remember and played under Ferguson, Shaw has not.

Skills

Snitch
Mkhitaryan and Shaw's treatment shows the gulf in class of the management between Fergie and Mourinho. As Keane said Fergie knew what each player needed, and what they responded too. It's why he was harsher on the likes of Ferdinand and Keane. While at the same time he was a lot more mellowed towards a Ronaldo, who needed a different approach.

This is a different crop and generation now to his one at Chelsea and Inter. I'd say most of the current generation need the latter approach. It's why Ancelotti and even Zidane, have managed to get 2 CL titles out of that Madrid team. Seems like why Matic is now back to his league winning form, and Costa and Hazard are back to being stars.

From what I know about Shaw, hes from a fairly privileged background who's been a superstar since he was a kid at all levels. Mkhitaryan himself, has a previous history of suffering from low confidence. I don't know who in their right mind would reach the conclusion, that these are the type of players you publicly humiliate and breakdown to get a positive response from.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Sports that require endurance for a long period of time do not require athletes to have a very very low body fat percentage. Actually IIRC, the average PL body fat percentage is somewhere between 10-15% because they will the energy from fat storages for the 90 min intensity, for a very long season.

You wonder why some foreign players with low fat tend to struggle to keep up or finish games in their first season. The PL is intense and one has to get the balance spot on. Not too fat that you can keep with the pace and agility and not too thin that you don't wipe out after 60mins. No, doubt that there are some skinny players that last most games but their nutrition is based on high fat and carbs content.
That's not how any of that works.

Fat stores are not used as fuel to play 90 minutes of football.

The less fat you have, the greater your economy of movement. Period.

woodhouseparkred

Mkhitaryan and Shaw's treatment shows the gulf in class of the management between Fergie and Mourinho. As Keane said Fergie knew what each player needed, and what they responded too. It's why he was harsher on the likes of Ferdinand and Keane. While at the same time he was a lot more mellowed towards a Ronaldo, who needed a different approach.

This is a different crop and generation now to his one at Chelsea and Inter. I'd say most of the current generation need the latter approach. It's why Ancelotti and even Zidane, have managed to get 2 CL titles out of that Madrid team. Seems like why Matic is now back to his league winning form, and Costa and Hazard are back to being stars.

From what I know about Shaw, hes from a fairly privileged background who's been a superstar since he was a kid at all levels. Mkhitaryan himself, has a previous history of suffering from low confidence. I don't know who in their right mind would reach the conclusion, that these are the type of players you publicly humiliate and breakdown to get a positive response from.
Exactly. If this had been Sir Alex, he would have stood by them because he realises their potential and he would certainly not hanged them out to dry and let the media make up their own minds. Yes, he was harsher on Ferdinand and Keane because they were like him; born winners and both had a winning mentality.

But he is not and people have to come to terms with it. You could apply this 'if gaffer was here' to probably 4-5 players who remember and played under Ferguson, Shaw has not.
I agree and it was simply hypothetical. However, I am not sure that Mourinho is the type of manager that can get the best out of the young players. This is where it differs. Sir Alexs' philosophy at Aberdeen was, "if they are good enough, they are old enough", and this carried on during his time at Manchester United and I fear for the likes of Rashford who I would consider a young star. From what I have seen with Mourinho, he just loves to invest large money in big name players and then the youth development stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.