Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

humdinger

It's probably safe to assume Mourinho likes him as a player but there's a serious problem there. Seems to be sending Shaw a message which just isn't getting through. It'll be a massive shame if Shaw goes, but if he can't provide what the manager needs it's best for all parties.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's a shame and I do feel sorry for Shaw (even though he has collected big wages).
Effectively, he has wasted 3 years of his development. I hope at his new club, he is able to kick start his career and improve, going strength to strength. At Spurs, I do believe he should do well, there.
He wouldn't be first choice left back at Spurs though. He would be better off at a mid table club he can get regular games with and restart his career that way.

RedMaestro

He wouldn't be first choice left back at Spurs though. He would be better off at a mid table club he can get regular games with and restart his career that way.
This. It's the most sensible thing for Shaw to do. Not that I think Mourinho would be interested but a switch could maybe be possible - Bertrand to Manchester United and Shaw to Southampton. Both Shaw and the club could maybe give this a chance?

Kag

What a fabulous way to treat a 21 year old kid coming off the back of a career-threatening injury. A complete and utter waste of a season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just like with TFM, it's annoying that he's not even getting game time for the U23s. I honestly don't see the logic in this if they're not going to get any game time at all for the 1st team?

Blind

I think we're just going to be ultra cautious with him for the rest of the season until he is in peak condition. The main aim will be to make sure he's 100% ready for next season.
I admire your optimism but I think he'll be one of the first to leave in the summer.

El Jefe

There's no way Jose is getting rid.

In a recent interview he alluded to Shaw being the Number 1 choice based on ability for the future.

The key here is the leg break and his recovery from this. I think we've all underestimated the impact of this for him infact it makes perfect sense that he's still struggling right now.

This season is all part of the journey for him. I think Jose wants him to have the off season break and come in for preseason hungry and with a man's mentality and not that of a boy. With Mourinho nothing is given, it has to be earned and Shaw needs to get to grips with this.

Personally I think he'll be fine and get back to his best. However if Jose buys an LB that may change.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What a fabulous way to treat a 21 year old kid coming off the back of a career-threatening injury. A complete and utter waste of a season.
I think something is going on here rather than not wanting to select him.
He's a young, talented player so why wouldn't he play if everything was ok? This in a position we're rather weak.

Devil81

Just like with TFM, it's annoying that he's not even getting game time for the U23s. I honestly don't see the logic in this if they're not going to get any game time at all for the 1st team?
Crazy that is, how can they develop as footballers with no game time at all!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's a goner. Said it from day one he wouldn't be able to make his way back. Once Jose makes his mind up on a player and goes for him.. takes a monumental effort to make your way back into his good books and I just didn't see Shaw being able to do that.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Depends who he's sold to. If City manage to sign Rose from Spurs for £50M, we'd probably get £20M for Shaw from Spurs.
I would be extremely surprised if anybody was prepared to pay more than £10-15 million on him tbh. You would be taking a massive risk on the kid given his injury record and lack of playing over the last few years. Also, what wages is he on? Can't see too many clubs being willing to come close to offering whatever he is on at Utd. You could be stuck with him until his contract ends.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I would be extremely surprised if anybody was prepared to pay more than £10-15 million on him tbh. You would be taking a massive risk on the kid given his injury record and lack of playing over the last few years. Also, what wages is he on? Can't see too many clubs being willing to come close to offering whatever he is on at Utd. You could be stuck with him until his contract ends.
He's on around 80k. Even with his one injury and lack of playing time, there've been worse players who've been sold for more. Guess it depends how much interest there is in him. Definitely wouldn't go for £10M.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's on around 80k. Even with his one injury and lack of playing time, there've been worse players who've been sold for more. Guess it depends how much interest there is in him. Definitely wouldn't go for £10M.
At 80k he would be one of Spurs top earners so I'd probably rule that out immediately. Having said that, I wouldn't be against us taking a chance on him due to his previous links with our manager

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
United have started taking a hardline on fees though.

Schneiderlin hardly played and we refused to sell for cheap.

I think if no one is willing to match our price then Shaw will stay. But we will definitely be signing a first choice LB

Damien

Staff
At 80k he would be one of Spurs top earners so I'd probably rule that out immediately. Having said that, I wouldn't be against us taking a chance on him due to his previous links with our manager
Yeah, just saw that until Eriksen signed his new contract, Lloris was your highest earner on £80k. Mad really with the amount of talent you have and you starting to turn into a regular top four side.

Jaybomb

He was never United quality anyway. Always said this and got slated for it, but its obvious Mourinho agrees with me.

Just cause a player is young doesn't mean they're destined for greatness. Luke Shaw offers no attacking threat, can't cross or shoot, and his positional awareness is all over the place. We need a pacey attacking LB like Evra and the only one I can see that's similar is Alaba.

dichinero

I fully expect Poch to turn Shaw into the exceptional player that many hope for if it does happen. The man knows how to get the best out of players and raise their game as individual. We will regret it

Bojan11

What has Shaw done to justify the outrage that he's not being played?

His attacking play isn't better than Youngs, so he would have been useless to start yesterday.

It's like Anderson and Cleverley situation. People keep referring to those four games from last season, where half of the games were against Club Brugge. Where Memphis looked a world beater. One of the games against Swansea he was at fault for a goal because he ran way too forward and left a gaping hole.

His brother acting like a dick on social media doesn't help.

3KDré

Would be gutted to see him go. Hope this isn't happening and he turns his career around next year.

MadMike

He's 100% gone. It's not even a subject for discussion.

Some people in here are forgetting Shaw is entering the last year of his contract in 3 months. If he doesn't get offered a new deal, the club would have to sell him. If the club offer him a new deal and he doesn't sign it (due to limited opportunities and wanting a fresh start), the club would have to sell him.

Ask yourselves what is the chance that Shaw gets offered a new deal this summer and that he signs it too? Basically 0. The discussion should now be who are we bringing in, not if Shaw is staying or not.

lysglimt

Scout
What has Shaw done to justify the outrage that he's not being played?

His attacking play isn't better than Youngs, so he would have been useless to start yesterday.

It's like Anderson and Cleverley situation. People keep referring to those four games from last season, where half of the games were against Club Brugge. Where Memphis looked a world beater. One of the games against Swansea he was at fault for a goal because he ran way too forward and left a gaping hole.

His brother acting like a dick on social media doesn't help.
Or you can turn it around - what has Shaw done to justify not be getting a chance at all ? Has he been great when given a chance ? No - has he been so poor that he doesn't deserve a chance when Darmian gets to play ? No

El-Manos

I actually don't think we are selling him or that he wants to leave. Maybe for once Jose is actually honest and is just giving him time to recover and simply does not trust him yet? He must know that Shaw is a better left back than Rojo and Blind. It's not like the football world is crawling with plenty of great left backs. Shaw is physically strong, rapid and solid defensively.

Damien

Staff

Some people in here are forgetting Shaw is entering the last year of his contract in 3 months. If he doesn't get offered a new deal, the club would have to sell him. If the club offer him a new deal and he doesn't sign it (due to limited opportunities and wanting a fresh start), the club would have to sell him.

Ask yourselves what is the chance that Shaw gets offered a new deal this summer and that he signs it too? Basically 0. The discussion should now be who are we bringing in, not if Shaw is staying or not.
There's the option of a further year in his contract so I suppose we could activate that then see how he does next season but I can't see that happening.

In other news, there was a five-a-side training match after yesterday's game (Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ander Herrera, Wayne Rooney, Luke Shaw, Daley Blind, Matteo Darmian, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Axel Tuanzebe and Matthew Willock featured). He was the last to leave the pitch.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
There's the option of a further year in his contract so I suppose we could activate that then see how he does next season but I can't see that happening.

In other news, there was a five-a-side training match after yesterday's game (Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ander Herrera, Wayne Rooney, Luke Shaw, Daley Blind, Matteo Darmian, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Axel Tuanzebe and Matthew Willock featured). He was the last to leave the pitch.

I hate when English media love to play this narratives of theirs.

Ban

Most likely. 1 year left on contract (option of a further year) and Mourinho doesn't rate him.
Maybe he'll give him more games next year. And he'll sign a new contract... Maybe. :(

So LB is another position we need to buy a player for.

Steven Seagull

That's it then. Mad Mike has spoken. Close the thread please mods

MadMike

That's it then. Mad Mike has spoken. Close the thread please mods
This is the thread about his performances, which has somehow been highjacked by the "will he stay or will he go?" discussion. That discussion, for me, is dead but regardless it's out of context with the thread.

So even the attempt at a joke was off.

Steven Seagull

This is the thread about his performances, which has somehow been highjacked by the "will he stay or will he go?" discussion. That discussion, for me, is dead but regardless it's out of context with the thread.

So even the attempt at a joke was off.
Since he can get another year activated your attempt at shutting down all discussion was off.

But yes, let's just focus on any future performances Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.