Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AR87

The games he's played since the leg break he hasn't been shy in getting stuck into hefty challenges and even receiving them, like the ones in the video above. I think he's going to be fine with the mental aspect, if anything he seems more determined than ever to put the injuries behind him.
I agree. I especially liked this quote from him.

‘Everyone is training hard because everyone wants to be on that pitch in the important games. We’re all fighting for a place and now it’s my time to fight for my place.
Hopefully he can find his form and avoid picking up injuries. I still believe his talent is worth giving him another chance, but this really is the last opportunity he's going to have to nail down that position for Manchester United.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Some strange comments in here about his body shape. Let's see how fit he is once he plays for us, the rest does not matter really

AP88

Supports
Man City
You think? I thought he looked huge.
He's always going to look bulky, like Lampard and Rooney.

I meant more in terms of on-ball sharpness, he was positive with his passing and measured in his runs forward, something Mourinho clearly wants on the left side.

He still needs to gradually add intensity and dynamism, but as a first game back it went the best it possibly could have.

Hed Zitin

Got some fitness, but in terms of actual football he played it really safe today. A lot of back passing and a handful of forward runs and overlaps. Spurs were miles better than us though.

He did create a chance that Wilson should of scored though with a good dribble and layoff.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Couple more reserve games and weeks of fitness, and then a start v Burton wouldn't be a bad return.

POF

I meant more in terms of on-ball sharpness, he was positive with his passing and measured in his runs forward, something Mourinho clearly wants on the left side.

He still needs to gradually add intensity and dynamism, but as a first game back it went the best it possibly could have.
That's really good to hear. I only saw the goals and noticed his girth but if he was sharp and fit in his play it doesn't matter what he looks like.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

I have heard this a few times but can't remember him ever looking bulky to be honest. Saying that i don't really take too much notice of peoples weight.

criticalanalysis

Made a couple of very quick runs but overall he had an awful game; gifted the Spurs U23 a goal by being stupid around his own box, didn't look sharp or confident at all.
:(

Got some fitness, but in terms of actual football he played it really safe today. A lot of back passing and a handful of forward runs and overlaps. Spurs were miles better than us though.

He did create a chance that Wilson should of scored though with a good dribble and layoff.
With his frame and top heavy body, he should be using his strength more intelligently. It's weird because I'm starting to think he has very Valencia like attributes. Not much of a right foot, has pace and an engine but doesn't overlap as much and doesn't really come inside with any effectiveness.

He back passes a lot because he always has the ball in front of him in central places where a wrong move means getting dispossessed, although the lack of confidence and magnifying glass on his game doesn't help. If he has it to the side and half shields it, not many players would be able to get body position and would be fearful of his pace on the outside. He needs to stand up to the ball and player in front, making them respect your ball possession. A bit like Valencia, who does this brilliantly as it opens up the field and more passing opportunities.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Couple more reserve games and weeks of fitness, and then a start v Burton wouldn't be a bad return.
that would be amazing if he could manage that.

Perfect for October, when we start to play top 6 teams, where his versatility and pace will be very much required, assuming he still possesses both.

Hellboy

that would be amazing if he could manage that.

Perfect for October, when we start to play top 6 teams, where his versatility and pace will be very much required, assuming he still possesses both.
as if Mou will play him against top 6 teams. :lol:

This guy is done here, he would have been shipped this summer if not for his injury.

Hellboy

We've been linked with a few but it seems that Jose would rather stick with the current roaster : Blind, Darmian & Young which are fairly average FB's of course.

It's by far our weakest area and Shaw isn't reliable whatsoever ...

Hed Zitin

He must be getting a chance this season if we aren't signing another LB. I hope it works out.

Make or break season. Has to be replaced next season if he doesn't perform.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
A fit and firing Shaw gives us exactly what we're missing. He's the X-factor for how far we go this season IMO. We can get top 4 or better without him but I can't see the title or a deep CL run without that.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
A fit and firing Shaw gives us exactly what we're missing. He's the X-factor for how far we go this season IMO. We can get top 4 or better without him but I can't see the title or a deep CL run without that.
I'm sorry but I think this is bullshit.

I get, and agree with you, than a world class left back would transform our team. I don't think Luke Shaw is the 'x-factor'.

He's shown absolutely nothing apart from a small handful of games where he played decently.

He is not productive going forward (2 assists in his career, no goals) granted he's good defensively.

He is always injured. We are not a rehabilitation charity, if I was the manager I would honestly get rid of Luke and sign a quality leftback who is dependable and someone we could rely on now. I am sick of seeing Blind as our LB. We need a quality pacey LB to compliment Martial or Rashford down the left.

Steven Seagull

I'm sorry but I think this is bullshit.

I get, and agree with you, than a world class left back would transform our team. I don't think Luke Shaw is the 'x-factor'.

He's shown absolutely nothing apart from a small handful of games where he played decently.

He is not productive going forward (2 assists in his career, no goals) granted he's good defensively.

He is always injured. We are not a rehabilitation charity, if I was the manager I would honestly get rid of Luke and sign a quality leftback who is dependable and someone we could rely on now. I am sick of seeing Blind as our LB. We need a quality pacey LB to compliment Martial or Rashford down the left.
Nobody is going to buy such an injury prone player on massive wages so you wouldn't be able to get rid of him. Best to just hope he gets back to fitness and shows his early potential which was clear for all to see

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Nobody is going to buy such an injury prone player on massive wages so you wouldn't be able to get rid of him. Best to just hope he gets back to fitness and shows his early potential which was clear for all to see
I don't care if he is dropped, sold, loaned or winds his contract down. We need to upgrade.

I think we need to sign a left back regardless I have zero hopes of Luke Shaw becoming a world class player or even one of the best fullbacks in the league. He's miles behind.

Steven Seagull

I don't care if he is dropped, sold, loaned or winds his contract down. We need to upgrade.

I think we need to sign a left back regardless I have zero hopes of Luke Shaw becoming a world class player or even one of the best fullbacks in the league. He's miles behind.
He won't be once he gets some games. Mourinho will help him like he did with Jones and Rojo

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

Luke Shaw is going to be our first choice left back this season and he's due back next month, whether you want him or not. We're not signing a new leftback now, that's just the state of it.

IF, as I said, he's fit and firing, then that's a huge boost to our side and ultimately our chances in all comps this season. If he's not, then we'll have Blind or Darmian and that's no worse than where we are now but we would certainly have room for improvement. As others have said, it's make or break for him this year and hopefully he takes the chance he'll get this year.

LoneStar

Looks like we won't be signing any LB for now. A good attacking LB will bring so much to the team. However, I am not entirely convinced by him. Let's just hope it clicks for him this season.

soapythecat

Oh come on! He has showed about 2 games of 'x factor' since he arrived.
Massively overrated by United fans.
Personally, he annoys me slightly as he gets paid a fortune and never looks fit. Wouldn't be an issue if he was showing it on the pitch. Gutted we haven't replaced him.

Dante

Average bang
Shaw is excellent on the ball, has a terrific first touch under pressure, and can cover large distances quickly - both going backwards and forwards. Granted, he's neither creative nor a particularly good crosser... but I don't think we need him for that. The key is to have a certain set of qualities in every area of the pitch for any system to work. His security in possession makes him a great foil behind Rashford or Martial. Not to mention, it would help our passing game in midfield be that much better. Real Madrid only started to dominate us in the Supercup once their right and leftbacks got into the middle third. Players in those positions can be a vital outlet.

There's more than one way to be a top class fullback. Evra and Cole were two very different players, but both of equal quality when you looked at what they gave to their teams. Shaw looks very much in the Paddy mould, to me.

Oscie

I get the issue with the injury and lack of game time but whenever Shaw has played he's looked very good.

Huge question marks over him for obvious reasons but paining him as some average lummox is just a lie.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm one who thought he was excellent at the start of 15/16 and looked like he had the potential to be our left back for years. Since the injury however i just don't see it, he looks slower, heavier and less agile, miles from what we need (a new Evra). Hope he proves me wrong.

JG3001

I was hoping for him to do well here, but I sort of gave up midway through last season in expecting him to make it.

I think it's time to get real, he's done very little in his career here that has impressed. (Yes I'm aware of the year out for the leg break...)

I'd like to be proven wrong but just can't see it. We regularly slate other teams players who are all hyped because their young & English, and ultimately produce nothing. Think some fans are too caught up in the fact he wears a United top, and let it slide.

Dante

Average bang
I was hoping for him to do well here, but I sort of gave up midway through last season in expecting him to make it.

I think it's time to get real, he's done very little in his career here that has impressed. (Yes I'm aware of the year out for the leg break...)

I'd like to be proven wrong but just can't see it. We regularly slate other teams players who are all hyped because their young & English, and ultimately produce nothing. Think some fans are too caught up in the fact he wears a United top, and let it slide.
You're the first person to bring up the word 'English' in this entire thread. Perhaps you're the one with the bias.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

I think saying "he's produced nothing" is overly harsh. In the 28 appearances he made during 2014-2016, he got MOTM ratings 5x from the Caf. Obviously it's not the end all measure, but it at least suggests he was capable of making standout contributions up until his leg break. Last season he had 18 appearances at age 21 in his first year after the injury, with no MOTM performances. This is a defining year for his career with us, as it should be, but I think it's silly to say we should have simply moved on already because he didn't light up the stage last season.

JG3001

You're the first person to bring up the word 'English' in this entire thread. Perhaps you're the one with the bias.
Don't really see where you're coming from, it's a pretty widely observable fact that we in this country go way overboard with our youngsters after a couple of games, let alone one season.

I was more making the point that a lot of fans on this forum would readily slate players like Chamberlain, Sterling, Ibe, Wilshere, Stones, Delph, Sinclair, Rodwell, Sturridge, Holding, Chambers.

All who have been or are currently in a similar position to Shaw, regarding football ability and/or time spent on the treatment table.

Come on be realistic, he has been largely underwhelming since his arrival.

I think saying "he's produced nothing" is overly harsh. In the 28 appearances he made during 2014-2016, he got MOTM ratings 5x from the Caf. Obviously it's not the end all measure, but it at least suggests he was capable of making standout contributions up until his leg break. Last season he had 18 appearances at age 21 in his first year after the injury, with no MOTM performances. This is a defining year for his career with us, as it should be, but I think it's silly to say we should have simply moved on already because he didn't light up the stage last season.
Yes it is harsh, but the net sum of his total game time has yielded very little optimism in his ability to become the top LB all (including myself) had predicted.

Starts are all very well and good but I'd be more interested in who they came against, and how well his performance was. That's not to say he has to be MOTM every game, but from what I saw, it wasn't just the poor/average performances but the general lack of improvement which is concerning.

AgentP

It's been almost two weeks since his u23 game. He should be fully match fit now along with Young. I think he'll start against Burton Albion.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's been almost two weeks since his u23 game. He should be fully match fit now along with Young. I think he'll start against Burton Albion.
I don't think we will see him anywhere near the first team for a while yet.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Darmian would probably be ahead of him in the pecking order even if he's fully fit, which I doubt. He hasn't impressed for the reserves.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Give him til January to forge a way into the team, then evaluate a loan elsewhere with a view to him either impressing enough to be given another chance or selling him on for a decent fee.

I loved him as a player at Saints and early on at United, but he might need to drop down into a less pressurized environment to find himself again.

Kieran Tierney is by all accounts being eyed as a replacement, and that'd be suitable IMO; perhaps even try to attain him in January and send Shaw there on loan for 18 months to facilitate the deal.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
We desperately need this man back fit and on form. Shaw or Ashley Young for left back as soon as they are fit please.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'm fairly sure Jose doesn't rate him which makes the decision not to sign a LB an utterly bizarre one.

Status
Not open for further replies.