Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

It's very unlikely he will ever be first choice lb here, I think he needs a season of regular football and he won't get that here.

He didn't look good tonight, he might not get another game until next round of this cup after that performance and looks a long way back for him.

Sylar

Much needed minutes for him. Hopefully he can find himself getting more and more minutes (rather than one-offs here and there every month).
Would help with his sharpness.

MAME DIOUF 32

Not seeing anything exceptional but certainly not seeing Blind, Darmian or Young don't any better.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure if the cameras picked it up or not but we were sat 3 rows from the front right where Shaw was playing second half and he was getting some serious daggers from his teammates (namely Rashford and Herrera) when he gave the ball away

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
And you take the reserves seriously?
Have you watched him in the reserves?

If his performances for them are an indication of his dedication to getting back to his best, proving himself worthy of a first team spot and having the will and ability to be nailed on first choice, then he may as well pack his bags.

As I said, I'd love to see him realise his potential, but if his performances in the reserves, and tonight, are anything to go by, he's lightyears away from being good enough for the first team and I doubt he'll be given lightyears... hope I'm wrong at the same time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So thats a no then.

And if his performances for them are an indication of his dedication to getting back to his best, proving himself worthy of a first team spot and having the will and ability to be nailed on first choice, then he may as well pack his bags.

As I said, I'd love to see him realise his potential, but if his performances in the reserves, and tonight, are anything to go by, he's lightyears away from being good enough for the first team and I doubt he'll be given lightyears... hope I'm wrong at the same time.
There's so little point in evaluating a players performances in the u23s. First teamers couldn't give a shit, it's an exercise in getting back to full fitness, that's it.
So basically you've decided he's not good enough based on 45 minutes of competitive football after a serious injury against Burton in the league cup after coming on in a game we've already won. Makes sense.

Andersons Dietician

It's quite amazing how polarising opinions on Shaw are. I've seen people say he's rubbish at defending and only good at attacking. Seen others say can't attack to save his life.

I was quite impressed with the little things I saw him do today. Trying to slip passes through and some solid tackles when called upon.
He certainly looked like he was tentative but I'd imagine there is some sort of fear in not trusting his own body yet and it's ability to hold it together.

People slagging him off for being fat honestly. The boy is built like brick house. Stocky, powerful and explosive.

el3mel

I'm starting to think a loan movement for year to an EPL team will be a better move for him at this stage tbh. I can't see him forcing his way to be a starter in his current state and without enough playing he'll get worse by time. Loan him to a midtable club where he'll play regularly for a season then see what will happen next.

Eyepopper

There's so little point in evaluating a players performances in the u23s. First teamers couldn't give a shit, it's an exercise in getting back to full fitness, that's it.
So basically you've decided he's not good enough based on 45 minutes of competitive football after a serious injury against Burton in the league cup after coming on in a game we've already won. Makes sense.
He's not a first teamer, thats the point, and in the reserve games I've watched he's been well off the pace, against second rate players.

And worse than that, he's looked largely disinterested. He certainly hasn't looked like a player desperate to get back to form and force a route back to the starting eleven.

If anything he looks resigned to the fact that he's off and he's just not (large) arsed.

And, again, I'm someone who would love nothing more than seeing him get back to form and nail down the LB spot for himself.

Womp

idiot
I'm starting to think a loan movement for year to an EPL team will be a better move for him at this stage tbh. I can't see him forcing his way to be a starter in his current state and without enough playing he'll get worse by time. Loan him to a midtable club where he'll play regularly for a season then see what will happen next.
Problem is - his contract is coming to an end soon, isn't it? I don't see the club renewing it if this continues.

el3mel

Not sure if it's true but it ends in 2018 iirc.
I'll say we extend his contract for 2 years then move him for a loan for year, if he fails in this loan as well, sell him. Definitely better than him going for free.

Womp

idiot
I'll say we extend his contract for 2 years then move him for a loan for year, if he fails in this loan as well, sell him. Definitely better than him going for free.
I agree that'd probably be the best option. The problem with Shaw constantly staying around is that as long as he's here I feel like we are going to continue ignoring that position. I'd love for Shaw to step up and make that position his but for one reason or another it just doesn't seem to happen for him. How long can we keep putting faith in him and ignoring that position before that glaring weakness in our squad is exposed? Big season for him, he's fit now, he's had time to get over his break, no more excuses. He needs to get his head down and perform.

marktan

He's not a first teamer, thats the point, and in the reserve games I've watched he's been well off the pace, against second rate players.

And worse than that, he's looked largely disinterested. He certainly hasn't looked like a player desperate to get back to form and force a route back to the starting eleven.

If anything he looks resigned to the fact that he's off and he's just not (large) arsed.

And, again, I'm someone who would love nothing more than seeing him get back to form and nail down the LB spot for himself.
He might just be taking it easy to avoid injury again. He looked pretty decent for us when he returned last season but then got injured again. I'd rather he takes it easy and builds some endurance back into his legs. I think he'll hopefully get back to solid form because he's inherently a talented player, and if he does become a regular then that'll help the team a lot width wise.

el3mel

I agree that'd probably be the best option. The problem with Shaw constantly staying around is that as long as he's here I feel like we are going to continue ignoring that position. I'd love for Shaw to step up and make that position his but for one reason or another it just doesn't seem to happen for him. How long can we keep putting faith in him and ignoring that position before that glaring weakness in our squad is exposed? Big season for him, he's fit now, he's had time to get over his break, no more excuses. He needs to get his head down and perform.
Agree with that. We should put aside the dreams of Shaw sealing this position for himself and start looking at the best LBs possible to strengthen this position.

Eyepopper

He might just be taking it easy to avoid injury again. He looked pretty decent for us when he returned last season but then got injured again. I'd rather he takes it easy and builds some endurance back into his legs. I think he'll hopefully get back to solid form because he's inherently a talented player, and if he does become a regular then that'll help the team a lot width wise.
I share your optimism, but seeing him play I think it's a bit more than just taking it easy.

Looks like he's not even doing the basics, at times he just doesn't look interested, and I thought the same tonight.

ivaldo

He's a first teamer :houllier: he's in the first team.

Of course he looks disinterested! Thats the point, he's playing football well below his station. He couldnt give a shit how he perform's playing alongside and against players who will likely never see premier league football.
It's a game to get his fitness back, nothing more. It means less than preseason.

Eyepopper

He's a first teamer :houllier: he's in the first team.

Of course he looks disinterested! Thats the point, he's playing football well below his station. He couldnt give a shit how he perform's playing alongside and against players who will likely never see premier league football.
It's a game to get his fitness back, nothing more. It means less than preseason.
Scott McTominay was in the first team tonight, so is he a first teamer too? Mourinho himself has been vocal about the players he needs to surpass to get back into the first team.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think likelier option is we'll activate the 1 year option, sell him and sign Rose from Spurs.

Unmutual

Very low key half last night, to say the least. I just hope it’s because the game was wrapped up and the whole team were in second gear in the second half.

ti vu

I share your optimism, but seeing him play I think it's a bit more than just taking it easy.

Looks like he's not even doing the basics, at times he just doesn't look interested, and I thought the same tonight.
His performance reminds me of Jones in last season pre season. That was after Jones didn't look cut it even in U23 games. Fast forward few months Jones saved his United career with his performance. I agree with @ivaldo that it's not the type of game to look much into. Mourinho knows Shaw's raw ability, so it's not last chance game where Shaw has to do everything to impress. Remember Shaw played wing back which indicates Mourinho was experimenting in the second half. Just like with pre season, when experimenting would mean taking risk and not play the tactic best built for your opposition, but inviting the opponent come and test your weakness.

AndyJ1985

I'll be surprised if he's still here next season. We'll buy a proper left back and get rid of this dud.

Oscie

I don't get people putting emphasis on the reserve games. Surely they're there in his case for nothing other than fitness?

Also don't get the criticism of his performance last night, quite honestly. His first game back in the first team after months of injury. It's as if some people set the bar ridiculously high just so post-game they can play their "Shit, get rid" card. Seems to be based on very little other than he gave the ball away. So did Lingard, several times. So did other players during the course of the match and do during the course of every match.

IMO some people have noticed others losing patience with Shaw and decided to join in. So we get a player making his first senior appearance after a substantial injury and just utter hate. It's bizarre how it seems to be cool to dislike him now. Definitely more than a vibe of "well if he's saying Shaw is shit then I think he's shit too" about how being negative has almost turned into a meme here.

Oscie

Long term injury excuse is getting old. Fat excuse also. Needs to improve quick.
45 minutes into his first senior game back since April due to injury.

"That's enough time, he should be good by now. Sick of these excuses!"

So you think the injury shouldn't affect him at all in his first senior appearance since his last long-term injury because you're bored of the fact he's often injured? Does recovery work like that?

Kostov

I think he had a good cameo, showed aggression in his game and won some tackles, played some good passes when he attacked also. Much better than Darmian on the other side for example, but people will find excuses for the Italian and slate Shaw for any given reason. Lets hope Mourinho thinks the same and gives him more opportunities.

ivaldo

Scott McTominay was in the first team tonight, so is he a first teamer too? Mourinho himself has been vocal about the players he needs to surpass to get back into the first team.

Scott McTominay hasn't spent the last two seasons in the first team. What an odd argue to just and make.

No I haven't, this is the first season in a while I haven't. It doesn't detract any from my point, as much as you're desperate for it to.

keano99

Mitchell deserved a chance much more than Shaw. Has showed good consistency in the reserves and played really well against palace at the end of last season, where as Shaw just doesn't look interested. Wheres his pace gone?

Revan

Assumptionman
I like Blind and generally rate him, but we don't have a LB in our squad who is far far better than Shaw.
We have 2 players who can play left back and are better than Shaw, and one who is far better than Shaw.

For 3+ years here, Shaw has been largely injured, unfit and utter shit (bar those three matches in August 2015). Yet some people are going like he is a prodigy young player.

Status
Not open for further replies.