Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Got caught out in the first half, with Ayoze running in behind him, but recovered brilliantly. Other than that, he was solid as usual.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Meh could give a toss about his attacking, he was a boss defensively tonight

Nick7

Great game. Had one moment up front where he shouldnt have taken a touch. But it was nothing in the grand scheme of things.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not really sure what his strengths are. He’s fortunate he has Martial and Pogba in front of him, which means he doesn’t have a great deal of demands on him going forward. Maybe I’m harsh and he’s just doing what is asked of him and supporting and defending the flank.

Miles better than Tony V though.

El Jefe

He's so average it's unbelievable. He defends well at times but on the whole his defence and attack for a fullback is very average for the level we're aiming for. If our right back wasn't so shit, it would be much more obvious how mediocre Shaw is.

Just watch the left backs for the clubs that are 7th to 11th in the league. No one can confidently say that Shaw is better than any of them apart from Holebas and even his delivery is miles better than Shaw's.

AgentP

He is a solid defender. He also passes between the lines well which helps to move the ball into our midfielders. Needs to improve on offensive runs and crossing.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I've been Valencia's biggest fan over the years probably but with him you can see he can't attack down the wing anymore. For a long time already. Shaw, however, looked great going forward for a while earlier in the season so I'd say they are tactical instructions. He literally stopped it with Ole. Defensively he was very good tonight and that's just about enough I guess (for now).

Stepney73

A totally overrated left back.

If we want to be at the top table again we needed a far better player than shaw.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
On the other hand letting Shaw bomb forward a lot with Martial in fron of him would've been harsh on Matic to say the least. Needs to find the balance and mix it because it's true he doesn't atack at all.

Nick7

How about on accurate crosses per game where he has the most in the entire league?
How about defensively where he's a complete liability? There's more to being a full back than being good at crosses. Digne is not good, it's astonishing the teams he has on his CV.

Andersons Dietician

He was great today defensively and he kept getting forward and giving options and his approach play was solid. However there was one incident where he got played through and he just had to whip it in first time and he hesitated took a touch and the moment had passed. Did something similar last game. Really needs to improve this which is weird because the kid at Southampton would whip in balls or just go past people in that position.

Be it confidence or something else he really needs to sort it to go to the next level as everything else is good.

the chameleon

He’s not perfect, but still good enough. I think Tierney would be a great acquisition. Allowing them to both scrap it out for the role.

The big problem is the right side. Valencia just ruins the shape. We could do with not playing him again and relying on Dalot and young. Even promote laird to compete with dalot.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Defensively he’s relatively solid at this level but our problem is that he’s just not that dynamic going forward. He is very slow to overlap, doesn’t get up and down in equal ferocity and is more defensive than proactive.

His passing is decent but we need more of a spark down the left to complement Martial whose more languid in nature. We can’t afford to have two laid back players down the left.

He’s not as good as Robertson or Chilwell IMO.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Because of what?

Can you think of a player who has a stat of putting in the most crosses that a teammate gets on the end of, where they are bad with crossing?
Valencia. He had highest cross completion ratio in PL 2 seasons back and he was never the best crosser of the ball.

For example, Robertson crossed the ball superbly vs Arsenal, with so much pace and in dangerous area. For stats it's a cross that was not completed but that's a fantastic cross. Just like pass completion, cross completion is not a good stat.

Ekeke

Valencia. He had highest cross completion ratio in PL 2 seasons back and he was never the best crosser of the ball.

For example, Robertson crossed the ball superbly vs Arsenal, with so much pace and in dangerous area. For stats it's a cross that was not completed but that's a fantastic cross. Just like pass completion, cross completion is not a good stat.
No, he didnt.

That stat is misleading when you make it up, sure.

Andersons Dietician

No, he didnt.

That stat is misleading when you make it up, sure.
There was definitely a season where Valencia had some of the highest crossing stats in the league mostly due to Fellaini and Zlatan but I hate to call them crosses as they were more like diagonal long balls in to the box.

Ekeke

There was definitely a season where Valencia had some of the highest crossing stats in the league mostly due to Fellaini and Zlatan but I hate to call them crosses as they were more like diagonal long balls in to the box.
But not 2 seasons ago like he said. Thats made up nonsense

Andersons Dietician

But not 2 seasons ago like he said. Thats made up nonsense
I’m sure he wasn’t being literal but there has been a previous discussion on here where people used that stat to defend how poor Valencia was so I’m pretty sure it exsists somewhere which backs his point. Quality of a cross is more important than volume.

Ekeke

3KDré

Him staying back to defend is what allows Pogba to drift out wide, and Martial to drift inside. So long as the right back in our team pushes as high up as they can it's all fine, but Valencia's legs have gone so that didn't happen today.

roonster09

Scout
So you picked the wrong thing to complain about. Digne has put in the most accurate crosses this season out of every player. Not a percentage, a number.

45 for Digne, Fraser 36
I have given you example of why this stat is misleading. Number of completed crosses hardly matters when even the over hit cross which ends up near other FB is considered as accurate cross.

roonster09

Scout
I’m sure he wasn’t being literal but there has been a previous discussion on here where people used that stat to defend how poor Valencia was so I’m pretty sure it exsists somewhere which backs his point. Quality of a cross is more important than volume.
It exists but shame whoscored didn't publish so he might have missed it. Abuse of stats is brilliant though

Ekeke

So checking up on Valencia his highest in a season was 2.1 in both 09/10 and 10/11 from right wing.

5th most in 09/10 with Andy Reid top and Giggs 2nd.

Joint 14th in 10/11 with Barton and Baines top 2 and Nani 4th.

So Digne at 2.4 per game, or 2.5 per 90 mins is supplying more crosses that found a teammate more often than Nani or Valencia at their best when they were playing right wing.

Its not very misleading. He gets lots of balls into the box and Everton players get on the end of them. Its pretty much whats on the tin

Ekeke

I have given you example of why this stat is misleading. Number of completed crosses hardly matters when even the over hit cross which ends up near other FB is considered as accurate cross.
You complained about a completely different thing.

Bwuk

Painfully average.

We’ve needed a left back for years and seem to of held off on the hopes Shaw would develop into something he’s just not.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Defensively he’s relatively solid at this level but our problem is that he’s just not that dynamic going forward. He is very slow to overlap, doesn’t get up and down in equal ferocity and is more defensive than proactive.

His passing is decent but we need more of a spark down the left to complement Martial whose more languid in nature. We can’t afford to have two laid back players down the left.

He’s not as good as Robertson or Chilwell IMO.
To be fair, the left is very congested for overlaps with Martial, Pogba and Shaw. Even Mata had drifted left a few times. The way we're playing with Rashford as a striker who's strength is not exactly his heading ability crosses would likely be less productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.