Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloysius's Back 3

He does cut in for a fullback more than hold the touchline.

Who knows - may be scary to have Martial, Rashford and Shaw all cutting in at you at once?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He plays like a combination of a midfielder and a fullback. His touch and passing even in tight spaces is unbelieveable for a fullback. He is quick, very good at shielding the ball, wins most duels, almost impossible to dispossess and is quite dominant in most aspects of the game. He is magnificent.
Guardiola would make him be a CDM like lahm.

We need an rvn

Great to see how he's playing and obviously playing under Ole (eg his management style) is working well too. Played well under Jose this year but seems to have come on even more.

But for the assist to Lukaku, did anyone else feel he held himself back from getting into the box. Obviously it did results in a goal for us, but watching I just had a feeling it was PSV all over again in his mind for a split second which stopped him.

Andersons Dietician

He does cut in for a fullback more than hold the touchline.

Who knows - may be scary to have Martial, Rashford and Shaw all cutting in at you at once?
City’s fullbacks last season went inside their wide man to great effect multiple times and caused havoc, in fact it was one of their more prominent go to moves. Shaw makes this run a lot but is often never picked out by Pogba or Martial. Still needs to get better at picking someone out in that final 3rd when he does get the ball but it’s sometning we really don’t exploit enough given that Pogba likes to drift wide to the left.

The only thing now though is has Pogbas standout performances for the last few months outdone Luke’s general consistency throughout the season for player of the season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great to see how he's playing and obviously playing under Ole (eg his management style) is working well too. Played well under Jose this year but seems to have come on even more.

But for the assist to Lukaku, did anyone else feel he held himself back from getting into the box. Obviously it did results in a goal for us, but watching I just had a feeling it was PSV all over again in his mind for a split second which stopped him.
I don't know if he held himself back, but it felt like one of those accidental runs where he got a lot further then he expected to go - thanks to nobody being bothered to close him down.

Was great all the same though.

Aloysius's Back 3

City’s fullbacks last season went inside their wide man to great effect multiple times and caused havoc, in fact it was one of their more prominent go to moves. Shaw makes this run a lot but is often never picked out by Pogba or Martial. Still needs to get better at picking someone out in that final 3rd when he does get the ball but it’s sometning we really don’t exploit enough given that Pogba likes to drift wide to the left.

The only thing now though is has Pogbas standout performances for the last few months outdone Luke’s general consistency throughout the season for player of the season.
That's interesting.

We could have our CM drifting wider whilst having fullbacks drifting inwards at the same time as our forwards.

I can see wan bissaka doing this too because like Shaw - doesn't make these wide attacking rungs holding the touchline atleast not to the point that I can call him a wingback type fullback.

Having fullbacks that drift in would allow players like Shaw & Bissaka play a defensive game first and then make runs on the counter - they will be left with midfielders that can make passes from outwide whilst having strikers who drift in or out depending on the opposition defensive line.

SteveW

He's been playing really well for ages while still somehow getting slated by many on here. As usual it took doing it against Salah or a noteworthy assist for people to actually cop on and see what's been obvious for a good few months now. He's been rock solid this season.

It's been a huge bonus because him turning around looked unlikely a year ago. Fair play to the lad

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
He's been playing really well for ages while still somehow getting slated by many on here. As usual it took doing it against Salah or a noteworthy assist for people to actually cop on and see what's been obvious for a good few months now. He's been rock solid this season.

It's been a huge bonus because him turning around looked unlikely a year ago. Fair play to the lad
Its shows when Ole believes in them.

Andersons Dietician

That's interesting.

We could have our CM drifting wider whilst having fullbacks drifting inwards at the same time as our forwards.

I can see wan bissaka doing this too because like Shaw - doesn't make these wide attacking rungs holding the touchline atleast not to the point that I can call him a wingback type fullback.

Having fullbacks that drift in would allow players like Shaw & Bissaka play a defensive game first and then make runs on the counter - they will be left with midfielders that can make passes from outwide whilst having strikers who drift in or out depending on the opposition defensive line.
It was more that City’s fullbacks would attack the space between fullback and CB after the oppo fullback is drawn out and Walker or Mendy would just lay a ball across the box and they would do this time and time again to great affect. Think Pep covered it on one of the MNF’s anyway Shaw is capable of doing this and to be honest I have seen him do it in many games he is just never found.

I just think defensively it’s easier for him to go inside of Martial or Pogba because he knows they are there covering and they can see that he has moved up. Think when it comes to going on the outside there is a far greater risk for him to move up so he doesn’t make that overlap as much as he is there to allow Pogba and Martial to do the their thing hence why we don’t see him constantly overlapping or driving at people.

Actually yesterday with Pogba on the opposite side first few minutes felt like he went forward further and deeper than he usually would with Fred there as cover and he seemed to be constantly communicating something with Fred.

Sylar

Think he can do more of what he did yesterday in terms of his assist. Hes good with the ball at his feet, and I think the more he does it, the more it will benefit the team and create space for others as hes committing people. Lovely run for the goal.

Dont think he was at fault for their goal as Sanchez basically left him with two men to mark (and the one that scored was initially being tracked by Sanchez).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It definitely seemed that either Ole or Phelan got in Shaw's ear at half time and told him to attack more. He seemed to be bombing forward a lot more, particularly in the first 20 or so minutes of the second half. Hopefully it'll continue as he's always had the ability to cause a lot of havoc to the opposition.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

This 100%. The amount of times i saw posters saying we needed to replace Shaw in the summer. Christ on a bike. He is arguably the best LB in the league.

It is the same with the CB position i feel. It is not vital that we get one, especially not one worth 100 million.

Raven

He's another extraordinary physical specimen. Himself and Pogba have such a great combination if physical and technical attributes.

Rossa

A couple of times against Palace he sprinted out from the back, leaving his opponent behind him. He then faced just one more defender that he could have challenged to a foot race with acres of space, but then he cuts back and recycles possession. Strikes me as odd as he would easily have won those foot races.

The_Midfielder

His pass for Rashford's goal when on England duty was his best assist .....
I have been waiting for him to make a similar pass for United..

Steerpike

He has been consistently good under Ole, and probably man of the match yesterday evening. Obviously the big question is whether he can keep doing it now that he can no longer use Mourinho's brain!

Andersons Dietician

Rather silly to bring up. Because he was in fact both of those. Now he's improved his fitness and focus and improved tremendously. Hoping the same for Lukaku.
Think it was more just rather silly to say those things considering he looks about exactly the same size now as he did when everyone was calling him fat and only a couple of games ago people were calling him rubbish when he’s basically been doing the same thing for months, just took a long time for people to catch up but even then still regular posters claiming we need Tierney when he is no where near as good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rather silly to bring up. Because he was in fact both of those. Now he's improved his fitness and focus and improved tremendously. Hoping the same for Lukaku.
Find it really odd how some people can't seem to grasp that things can change and that doesn't change the past. He was clearly overweight for a good while. There were pics of him on holiday that prove it. He made it no secret that he got his arse in gear last summer and there's pics since where he looks miles better. Obviously that effort wasn't just getting into shape. Seems like he's really sorted his head out.

VictoriaRed

Beginning to round into the form he had before he broke his leg. He was our best player that season, up until the leg break. He's a fantastic player, and if he keeps up this form over his career, it's his job for a long, long time!

mav_9me

Always believed in him defensively. Now we need him to contribute more in the attacking 3rd with cut backs and crosses. If not that at least get more involved in final 3rd like Evra used to.

yfoFC

the run in the first goal is why we slated him before. he can and should do it every game. very good in the end.

"We want him to go forward. That's the next step for him as well, to trust himself more often going forward. But, then again, it was down to the shape we played today because Anthony wasn't fit."
https://tribuna.com/en/manutd/news/3318873/

Ole just hit the nail on the head, Shaw usually has the two most creative players on our team playing in front of him so passing to them and letting them work their magic is normally the best course of action.

If our left side was intact yesterday (Pogba and Martial) then I don't see Shaw completing that run.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt for him to attempt it a few times a match even while they are on the pitch but I don't think we would see it that often with the French duo in front of him and that's fine by me if we're still getting the business done.

Kostov

"We want him to go forward. That's the next step for him as well, to trust himself more often going forward. But, then again, it was down to the shape we played today because Anthony wasn't fit."

Ole just hit the nail on the head, Shaw usually has the two most creative players on our team playing in front of him so passing to them and letting them work their magic is normally the best course of action.

If our left side was intact yesterday (Pogba and Martial) then I don't see Shaw completing that run.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt for him to attempt it a few times a match even while they are on the pitch but I don't think we would see it that often with the French duo in front of him and that's fine by me if we're still getting the business done.
He certainly put a nice clarification on an issue that was dividing fans in this thread.

Oldyella

He certainly put a nice clarification on an issue that was dividing fans in this thread.
It makes a lot of sense as well when you watch games. He compliments our left perfectly, using his excellent first touch and control to move the ball on to our most dangerous players while keeping our left hand side safe.

Trizy

I think the most underrated part of his game is his first touch. The man is like a Brazilian.

Walters_19_MuFc

Exactly this and what I and others have said about Shaw in this thread before. When Martial plays ahead of him, there's not always a need for Shaw to bomb on. On Wednesday however, with Sanchez tucking in, there was plenty of room for Shaw to run into and that's exactly what he did. I personally don't find it a coincidence that arugably his best game going forward came without Martial or Rashford on the left wing. It's why Pep can afford to play Delph behind Sane.

yfoFC

Exactly this and what I and others have said about Shaw in this thread before. When Martial plays ahead of him, there's not always a need for Shaw to bomb on. On Wednesday however, with Sanchez tucking in, there was plenty of room for Shaw to run into and that's exactly what he did. I personally don't find it a coincidence that arugably his best game going forward came without Martial or Rashford on the left wing. It's why Pep can afford to play Delph behind Sane.
Aptly put..

I thought it was obvious having watched our games but having confirmation from the manager is always a plus.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been nominated for PL player of the month, he probably won't win due to Aguero's hat tricks but it highlights how well he's raised his game over the last month. This nomination will do him the world of good and hopefully set him up for a strong finish to the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.