Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I was wondering some time ago what kind of player Becks will be in modern game, because for sure he would not be a winger and i am pretty sure he would make a fantastic wingback and Shaw showed me yesterday how that would work.

that chill during that 2nd assist was perfect
becks could easily be a CM or a fullback. very similar player to Kimmich. He would be a pressing machine.

SSSSnake

England win Quarter Final, Shaw is now better than Evra whilst Maguire is everything Vidic was. . .

These lads were both on the pitch whilst we sh*t the bed against Spurs, Leipzig & Instanbul last season & Shaw played every minute of a Villarreal catastrophe.

It would be quite nice for players to do something of note for the club [credit to Shaw he’s won a Europa League] before we start mentioning them in the same sentences as players who played key roles in multiple championships.

That said, Shaw has been phenomenal for some time now & watching the players congratulate him as he was coming of today really shows his standing in the squad/the game. Given his career defining injury & mismanagement under José it’s a credit to his character that he’s reaching the levels he currently is.
Seeing Maguire now I think he’s like a hybrid of both Rio and Vidic. Excellent passer of the ball, aggressive and wins everything in the air. He should be scoring more with his heading ability but I’m very happy he’s red. Who’s looking forward to next season already!?

Idxomer

I've never been more right about a player, very happy for his success with United and England.

Red00012

I've never been more right about a player, very happy for his success with United and England.
Ya I’m the same , I always backed him even when Mourinho was stinking the place up .
And this place was no better IIRC

Skills

Snitch
He's one of the most talented English players I've seen - probably only Rooney was more clearly talented. They're both similar as in - they could literally decide to become good at almost any facet of the game. I reckon you stick him on shooting free kicks for a bit, and he'd become a decent shooter too.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Shaw is really proving what a man he is. To come back after that leg break and regain his England place is really excellent. Jose's judgement has been way off for a long time

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston

so proud for Luke, he’s deserved his recognition as it’s been a long time coming. To play at the level he’s been for club and now carry it on + even up the ante for country on the biggest stage with the brightest spotlight ......GET IN!!!!! :drool::drool:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I think in the past he deserved some criticism because he was always rock solid going back but offered very little going forward but fair fecks to the lad, he turned things around dramatically and is a joy to watch recently. Just hope it's not some kind of purple patch and stays confident in attacking so I won't call him out to be turned into a CB, which frankly I believe he will become but perhaps after his legs are gone in his later 30s. Can't believe someone questioned his price tag back in the day, he's turning out to be as amazing transfer as Rio back in the day.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Luke Shaw has been excellent for the last 3 seasons. In 18/19 he was player of the year and also won player of the month on 3 occasions. He went from playing less than 20 games a season for 4 seasons in a row, to 40 games in 18/19.

Jose's treatment of Shaw wasn't the best and he was very critical at times, but I feel he needed that toughness to really push on.

OGS rightfully should be credited for Shaw's performances and consistency over these last few years. But it was JMs last 6 months where Shaw really began to turn a corner and it was during that period where he was also rewarded a new 5 year deal. In my opinion Jose deserves some credit because it was under him that Shaw's turnaround began.

Caesar2290

Seeing Maguire now I think he’s like a hybrid of both Rio and Vidic. Excellent passer of the ball, aggressive and wins everything in the air. He should be scoring more with his heading ability but I’m very happy he’s red. Who’s looking forward to next season already!?
You do know Vidic was everything is only better. His passing ability was very underrated.

Personally I don't see anything similar in Maguire and Rio, and don't get me started with "he reads the game well". Every competent CB needs to read the game well. Rio's reading was exceptional though.

Maguire is good CB, but still a level below Rio and Vida.

How was ole turned him into a prime maldini? He literally looked done a few years ago
See below

Luke Shaw has been excellent for the last 3 seasons. In 18/19 he was player of the year and also won player of the month on 3 occasions. He went from playing less than 20 games a season for 4 seasons in a row, to 40 games in 18/19.

Jose's treatment of Shaw wasn't the best and he was very critical at times, but I feel he needed that toughness to really push on.

OGS rightfully should be credited for Shaw's performances and consistency over these last few years. But it was JMs last 6 months where Shaw really began to turn a corner and it was during that period where he was also rewarded a new 5 year deal. In my opinion Jose deserves some credit because it was under him that Shaw's turnaround began.
Luke was already on an upward trajectory when Ole arrived. I remember that he and Lindelof were considered the only positives out of Jose's 3rd season. Now Ole did continue his improvement, but to say he's the only reason Shaw has improved is kind of selling short Shaw's resilience.

Okey

Does Shaw have a song yet? Surely someone can make a good one with the Shawberto Carlos theme. Even the great man approves.

Marwood

Always liked Shaw even if at times it's fairly clear he hasn't looked after himself. His ability and rare physical qualities make him top level.

But the fawning over a couple of decent crosses shows how expectations have dropped in that regard. Growing up and watching football early 90's that kind of delivery from wide was to be expected. Standard stuff.

Particularly the one from open play. He's perfectly set for it, had plenty of time. If a top level pro can't then cross into that kind of area it's something they badly need to work on.

Football has improved in certain ways but the lack of wide men who can't or choose not to cross the ball has really shifted perceptions.

Shark

@NotShark
I think he's my favorite player at United now, top class on and off the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Always liked Shaw even if at times it's fairly clear he hasn't looked after himself. His ability and rare physical qualities make him top level.

But the fawning over a couple of decent crosses shows how expectations have dropped in that regard. Growing up and watching football early 90's that kind of delivery from wide was to be expected. Standard stuff.

Particularly the one from open play. He's perfectly set for it, had plenty of time. If a top level pro can't then cross into that kind of area it's something they badly need to work on.

Football has improved in certain ways but the lack of wide men who can't or choose not to cross the ball has really shifted perceptions.
If dropping a perfect cross onto a striker’s head is as easy as you think it is, why don’t most fullbacks in the league rack up at least a dozen assists every season?

Marwood

If dropping a perfect cross onto a striker’s head is as easy as you think it is, why don’t most fullbacks in the league rack up at least a dozen assists every season?
Well for the reason I just stated. Crossing ability has slipped out of the game to some extent.

On top of that how often does a fullback get into such a perfect position to deliver such a cross? Not all that often I'd guess.

But once in that position, with the time he had, you'd expect a top level professional to be able to put the ball in the kind of area 7/10. It's not like he's swinging the ball in from some improbable angle.

Not having a go at Shaw here, I think he's great but I grew up watching division two players who could deliver like that whilst on the run. Once upon a time it was a skill all good wide players had to have.

Edit: I should add the delivery from the freekick was very good. Again I think top level pro footballers should be able to do that at least 6 tes out of 10 but it was still a beaut.

Last edited:

Okey

Well for the reason I just stated. Crossing ability has slipped out of the game to some extent.

On top of that how often does a fullback get into such a perfect position to deliver such a cross? Not all that often I'd guess.

But once in that position, with the time he had, you'd expect a top level professional to be able to put the ball in the kind of area 7/10. It's not like he's swinging the ball in from some improbable angle.

Not having a go at Shaw here, I think he's great but I grew up watching division two players who could deliver like that whilst on the run. Once upon a time it was a skill all good wide players had to have.

Edit: I should add the delivery from the freekick was very good. Again I think top level pro footballers should be able to do that at least 6 tes out of 10 but it was still a beaut.
I would agree, based on just the eye test. Quality of crossing appears to have deteriorated in the modern game. I wonder if it's not been emphasised as much in the development of players. Maybe the shift from the classic 4-4-2 and the advent of inverted wingers has contributed.

MadMike

Beckham would have been brilliant CM in modern game.
I agree. He would have been wasted as a fullback/wingback and also his running with the ball wasn’t his strongest suit. Whereas it needs to be one of the best attributes of modern fullbacks.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was shocked to find out he's just 25. It feels like he's been with us for ages.
People forget how big of a talent this guy is. He made his debut for Southampton at 16(!) and came here at only 18.

Despite di María being my favourite player to watch that season, there's a reason I was more excited/happy about us getting Shaw that same summer.

Idxomer

Watched his highlights of last season, and it's as infuriating as Pogba's during the Ibra season.

So many chances created from his play and so much bad finishing from our forwards.

tomaldinho1

I only just realised re Mou’s constant criticism of Shaw. Does this all stem from Chelsea not wanting to pay Shaw the same salary as United did when we signed him? I seem to remember Mou was their manager and made a big point about how they wouldn’t pay him £100,000 a week because it’d upset the dressing room but maybe this is where it all comes from, the fact he turned Mou down.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

You’re just wrong. Crossing is, generally speaking, a relatively low percentage assist raker. If it was that great in the game previously, every winger and fullback would have insane assist stats - they don’t.

Andersons Dietician

You’re just wrong. Crossing is, generally speaking, a relatively low percentage assist raker. If it was that great in the game previously, every winger and fullback would have insane assist stats - they don’t.
He might have sort of a point here. Personally I do think crossing has become a bit of a dying art but maybe the reasoning behind this is due to more tactical applications. Most teams play with 1 forward. More tactical work goes in to defences and they are now a lot fitter than they were 20-30 years ago. Maybe an analyst somewhere has looked at the stats and worked out that crossing is maybe not as great a choice in the modern era.

The lack of willingness to hit a ball on the run first time is something I feel like we are lacking. From recent memory the only ones I’ve seen willing to do this for us was Dalot, Darmian and Rafael. Fullbacks need to start bringing this back especially with someone like Cavani in the team. Hopefully it’s something Shaw and Bissaka will start to do a bit more but only if it’s of value to the team.

Marwood

Think you've misunderstood my point. I'm not saying nigh on every cross should result in a goal.

My point is that from the perfect crossing position angle, close to the box, with time, a top level pro should be able to clip it onto the sweet spot for Kane to finish.

I don't think there's anything outstanding about that. It should be something all top, wide players can do 7 times out of 10 but unfortunately it no longer is. Hence Shaw getting crazy praise for it.

A brilliant cross would be the one from Rashford to Pogba couple years ago against Chelsea. The one at their place, FA Cup I think. That was special.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think his level has gone up even further in this tournament, he's playing with so much swagger and self belief it's brilliant to see

Status
Not open for further replies.