Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He played like one of if not the best lb in the world last season. Snatched up the England starting spot. We were creaming ourlselves. Incredible how far he has fallen this season. Along with the greenwood mess and rashford somehow even worse after his operation than before, just a very disappointing season.
Everything has to be 10/10 or 0/10 on this board. I genuinely don’t think anyone other than a few Utd fans would think he was in with a shout of being the best left back in the world.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Everything has to be 10/10 or 0/10 on this board. I genuinely don’t think anyone other than a few Utd fans would think he was in with a shout of being the best left back in the world.
He probably was the best performing left back in the world last season. Partly because he himself was that good, and partly because the other main competitors had slightly off seasons by their standards. I still wouldn't have said he actually was the best in the world though as it takes more than one season to establish yourself at that level IMO.

Redlyn

It's not 10/10 vs 0/10. It's more like 8-9/10 vs 4-5/10. Ironically your own statement is evidence people like to exaggerate on here.

He was in the pfa team of the year (ahead of the likes of Robertson), had a storming euros and really could have made it in that euro team too. He appeared in the top 5 spots in multiple best LB lists in 2021 (can't be bothered to produce them now but Google is your friend). And here is a search on his Performance thread. But as the poster above said it takes more than one season to really establish yourself, but last season he was certainly in with a shout.
Best LB

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Could be why his fitness has taken a nose dive and he's been getting injuries. Hopefully it gets sorted and he gets ready physically for Ten Hag next year.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
As cruel as it sounds i think we should get rid of him as I don't think he'll ever recover from that injury and it's only gonna get worse, what shame but we might as well cut our losses as soon as possible.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
As cruel as it sounds i think we should get rid of him as I don't think he'll ever recover from that injury and it's only gonna get worse, what shame but we might as well cut our losses as soon as possible.
Missing 2-3 weeks 7 years later means he’ll never recover? It’s getting worse based on what?

He’s missed less than 2 weeks all season through injury. If anything it’s been one of his best injury wise. And that was a hamstring injury, nothing to do with his leg break.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Could be why his fitness has taken a nose dive and he's been getting injuries. Hopefully it gets sorted and he gets ready physically for Ten Hag next year.
I don't hink it's excuse for his lack of fitness, considering his fitness was terrible basically any time we've switched managers, any time we've had summer, winter or any breaks, which obviously means he is not invested in training too much whenever he feels free, and gets himself in terrible shape.

Feel sorry for him though for the type of injury, that was 7 years ago and the poor guy is still having problems, it was one hell of a leg break obviously.

ForeverRed1

I’d be interested to see what he could do with the right manager working with him. There’s a very very good player in there.. people talk about one good season etc.. and it’s true.. but we haven’t exactly given him the best environment.

i want to see him flourish. Although not sure giving him a massive contract with more money is the best option. Maybe just extend the year on his contract and see how he goes. I think he would be happy here if the situation was right.

Stacks

I’d be interested to see what he could do with the right manager working with him. There’s a very very good player in there.. people talk about one good season etc.. and it’s true.. but we haven’t exactly given him the best environment.

i want to see him flourish. Although not sure giving him a massive contract with more money is the best option. Maybe just extend the year on his contract and see how he goes. I think he would be happy here if the situation was right.
He falls asleep on defending like he doesn't care about defending

RedDevil@84

I agree with getting rid of him, but not because of fitness concerns. He has spent a long time here and except one season, has looked average most of the time. On par with majority of his team mates though.

honirelandboy

He just reminds me of Pogba, Rashford(since MBE), Martial, Lingard. They have all the talent in the world but their attitude just sucks on a football pitch. Their egos think they don't have to run or put any effort in and sulk then when they do get dropped or manager criticizes them.

Overpaid WASTERS. Get this culture out of the club as soon as possible.

Stacks

He's normally good defensively, other than giving the wide player a bit too much space to swing a cross in. Obviously he's struggled this season (especially for the first few months) but it's not like that's his normal level.
he is good at 1 on 1 tackles but his awareness and maintaining a defensive line is woeful. Jose had to guide him in a game. His offensive masks is poor defensive

Irwin99

He's normally good defensively, other than giving the wide player a bit too much space to swing a cross in. Obviously he's struggled this season (especially for the first few months) but it's not like that's his normal level.
He's an odd defender to judge because he can be very good on one on ones but his concentration is abysmal at times and his record with yellow cards for dragging players back who go past him is astonishing. I mean, we see all these horrible and cruel compilation videos that take the piss out of players but I'm amazed no one's ever done about Luke's shirt pulling habit. No exaggeration to say he must have about twenty yellow cards for the exact same offence.

Get the feeling he's a very high maintenance player where absolutely everything has to be right, physically, mentally etc. for him to perform at a high standard, hence why we've probably only had one truly great season out of him. I hope if he stays at the club then EtH can get him to a consistent standard.

ForeverRed1

He falls asleep on defending like he doesn't care about defending
thats concentration not ability. He has the ability and if we get a manager who doesn’t allow lacks of concentration and weak mentality, we might see the best from him. If a elite manager who takes no shite can’t get him singing to their tune, then there’s a problem.

He wouldn’t play that way under Klopp I guarentee it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Missing 2-3 weeks 7 years later means he’ll never recover? It’s getting worse based on what?

He’s missed less than 2 weeks all season through injury. If anything it’s been one of his best injury wise. And that was a hamstring injury, nothing to do with his leg break.
He hasn't been right since that injury and has had only one season where he was a standout (last season) its not far fetched to assume that specifuc injury has affected him for the long term.

OleGunnar20

thats concentration not ability. He has the ability and if we get a manager who doesn’t allow lacks of concentration and weak mentality, we might see the best from him. If a elite manager who takes no shite can’t get him singing to their tune, then there’s a problem.

I think that's a good point actually. Could see him doing really well under Klopp. Hopefully ETH can sort his head out.

ForeverRed1

I think that's a good point actually. Could see him doing really well under Klopp. Hopefully ETH can sort his head out.
the way ETH uses full backs will suit him, there’s a player in there, we’ve seen glimpses of it. ETHs players run through brick walls for him so he won’t except less.

copen1945

the way ETH uses full backs will suit him, there’s a player in there, we’ve seen glimpses of it. ETHs players run through brick walls for him so he won’t except less.
I think he will be the first player to say that Ten Hag isn't suited to the league and needs to bring different ideas, as he had done when Ralf dropped him.

Mainoldo

He’s a lazy loser. Get rid. We want players what actually want our club to be champions again. He’s just happy getting his cheque and having a comfortable working environment.

Andersons Dietician

Now would be a good time to get rid tbh
Why? If anything he’ll likely be a go to for Ten Hag and one of his most important players if he comes in.

He’ll be the full back that moves in centrally to midfield giving the overload in there. He’s the perfect player in our squad for that and played some of his best and our best football in recent years in that brief and fleeting spell where Ole deployed that as a tactic.

limerickcitykid

He hasn't been right since that injury and has had only one season where he was a standout (last season) its not far fetched to assume that specifuc injury has affected him for the long term.
He's won two player of the years, made team of the season, and become an international regular while playing the best football of his career after that injury. So it is incredibly far fetched and actually just downright nonsense tbh.

limerickcitykid

I think he will be the first player to say that Ten Hag isn't suited to the league and needs to bring different ideas, as he had done when Ralf dropped him.
He never said that and Ralf never dropped him.

He’s a lazy loser. Get rid. We want players what actually want our club to be champions again. He’s just happy getting his cheque and having a comfortable working environment.
You were probably losing your shit when he said he was unhappy as we've been losing.

ForeverRed1

then he should be sold. I think give him a chance with ETH as he could be quality. If he doesn’t play for him, he can leave.

United in sin

This is a blow. Shaw is much better than Telles. We could've done with his tenacity in the business end. He's one of the few with the right attitude in this broken squad

Stacks

The fact he needs a manager to make a defender concentrate on defending tells you what you need to know. He doesn't care if we conceed or not and is not the right mentality. Defending should mean something to a defender. Klopp would have replaced him.

United in sin

no he doesn't. He is involved in soo many soft goals so doesn't care enough.
Telles comes nowhere close and neither does Brandom Williams as far as leftbacks go on the books. He'll be missed at this crucial time

Blood Mage

He should be sold but we have so many other players we need to sell also and we can't sell the whole team. Frustrating situation.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Which makes us believe he was excellent before the injury. Which is simply untrue. He was good offensively for those 7 games before injury. That's about it.
He was what 19 years old ? He was pretty young so it's not that much of a leap to surmise that he was on a path to improvement which got derailed.

macheda14

He should be sold but we have so many other players we need to sell also and we can't sell the whole team. Frustrating situation.
I honestly think he could be very very good under ETH if we get him. He has exactly the skill set he needs and if he’s very specifically coached then I don’t know why he couldn’t do it.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Get rid of a player who's with one leg still miles ahead of what we have currently? such a wise move.. first let's get rid of the other players who are further down the pecking order to make our team better..

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Get rid of a player who's with one leg still miles ahead of what we have currently? such a wise move.. first let's get rid of the other players who are further down the pecking order to make our team better..
I mostly meant not prematurely renewing his contract, my wording came a lot more aggressive.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Such a stupid comment blaming a player over injury issues. pretty much given you never had to experience anything like that, so you have no idea what you're talking about. But yeah let your frustration eat you alive.

BTWShaw is far from perfect but he just came back from a season where he was arguably the best left back in the world. If he's having injury problems or is out of form because of fatigue or anything else, we can do better and replace him in the future but Shaw in half form is still much better than Telles. Like 25 worse players to upgrade first...

Status
Not open for further replies.