Luke Shaw responds to Jose Mourinho

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Yes i remember that too. It was in the beginning of the 2019/2020 season where he said Maguire would discover how difficult covering for Shaw was going to be.
Yeah, it was before the first league game I think, after the game he had a go at Lampard/Chelsea for playing players like Mount. No wonder he is so shit.

Tallis

Pogba also dumped on Mou earlier this year. Looks like all these players have done the maths and understand that Mou will never manage them again so letting it rip.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Very classy from Shaw not to sling mud back at Jose given how easy it would be. The guy has an obsession with Shaw, put him through hell for 3 years and demoralised him and the team. Shaw looked a shell of his former self under Jose and was bullied by him.

Last season Shaw was probably the best LB in the league, very consistent and classy on the ball. Jose only staying relevant by being controversial and critical and trying to pick on easy targets, I expect another season of him demoralising roma players and destroying the club then feeling hard done by when he's fired.

Tiber

Jose has been bitter and poisonous for years.

Now he is also washed up

cyberman

Yet Chilwell had more goals and assists in less games and won the Champions league and is arguably better defensively

There is little to choose between them and to pick Chilwell over Shaw is a fair comment
Theres a reason Chilwell made less appearances.
Only time this became an argument was when Jose made it. Not once last season did anyone dare say Chilwell had a better season than Shaw.
When actual football was played, Shaw was being praised to the moon for a reason.

Revaulx

Now Mourinho is no longer managing at the top level, he's making a lot controversial statements again to try to stay relevant and keep getting punditry roles. He should be ignored by the fans. Good response by Shaw though to put him in his place.
Indeed, and I think it’s a great shame.

His punditry before he took on the Spurs job BBC was consistently excellent. Since appearing in that pathetically scripted Spurs “documentary” he’s assumed the role of pantomime villain full time and just plays to the gallery. The ads he keeps appearing in are a further symptom of the same thing.

Andrew7582

????

What’s ole got to do with this?

Give it a rest
Well clearly Shaw thinks that life is so much better under Ole, we may not be winning trophies anymore like we were under Jose, but at least he has a manager now who will put his arm around his shoulder and be best mates with him. Because that's more important than winning trophies isn't it. Just to remind you, Jose is still our most successful manager post Sir Alex.

Yes. One Europa League win and one community shield win and playing in midtable club vs no trophies (yet) and playing at near your best for man utd. I know which i would gladly choose.
He also won the league cup actually and reached an fa cup final only losing narrowly to a very good chelsea team (much better than villareal), I am sure you know that, but you are trying to lessen Jose's achievements to make Ole look better.

Fluctuation0161

The way he answered the question does make him look weak though, especially going to such detail while in the middle of an international tournament. If I was in Shaw's position and someone asked me to respond to Mourinho's criticisms of me over the group stage games - "I'm living rent free in his head" is plenty. Or, better still, no comment and save my response to his barbs for when I'm holding a winners medal from the Euros.

And I certainly wouldn't be bragging about outlasting him at United until I'd actually won something at United without him.
Yes, speaking out against someone who has been targeting you for years is weak. :lol:

Red00012

The way he answered the question does make him look weak though, especially going to such detail while in the middle of an international tournament. If I was in Shaw's position and someone asked me to respond to Mourinho's criticisms of me over the group stage games - "I'm living rent free in his head" is plenty. Or, better still, no comment and save my response to his barbs for when I'm holding a winners medal from the Euros.

And I certainly wouldn't be bragging about outlasting him at United until I'd actually won something at United without him.
FFS there’s always one

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Shaw should either go full nuclear on Jose or just pretend he doesn't care. The former would be funnier but latter would piss Jose off more.

"Luke, what are your thoughts on Jose's comments?"

"I don't listen to Talksport but I appreciate these figures from football's past need to earn a living".

padzilla

Hipster
It looks like Mourinho is living rent free in Shaw's head too by the detailed answer he gives.

Dan_F

I didn’t really understand Jose’s criticism of him the other night. I thought he did well, even if the England players didn’t seem to trust him with the ball as much as he as United.

Imagine having a go at the left back for not delivering decent corners. Maybe ask why none of the midfield or wingers can deliver a better set piece than a defender?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No surprise that the Mourinho defence squad has come pouring out of the woodwork.

I found the comment when Shaw was MOTM and Mourinho said he was using his brain one of the most outrageous things a manager could say publicly tbh…Christ knows the shit he said behind the scenes.
Not forgetting that it was one of the early matches after Shaw came back from the leg break and a subsequent injury. Should have been an opportunity to say something good and build up Shaw's confidence but instead he tried to crush it back into the ground.

In the end if it wasn't for Shaw and Martial's (another player he had constantly shat on) performances, Mourinho would have been sacked a lot earlier.

roonster09

Scout
No surprise that the Mourinho defence squad has come pouring out of the woodwork.

Not forgetting that it was one of the early matches after Shaw came back from the leg break and a subsequent injury. Should have been an opportunity to say something good and build up Shaw's confidence but instead he tried to crush it back into the ground.

In the end if it wasn't for Shaw and Martial's (another player he had constantly shat on) performances, Mourinho would have been sacked a lot earlier.
And Pogba. Trio saved him for few months.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The answers are a bit long for my liking. I would have preferred something short and sweet like what duffer said but whatever Shaw needs to do to perform his best for us is fine by me. Mourinho has been bullying him for a while so it's pretty much fair game.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think it's the accumulation of shit things he said even after he left. IIRC he also said Maguire has hard job as he should cover Shaw or He plays next to Shaw, something like that.
Yep.

from 2019 said:
"He (Maguire) fully deserved the man of the match," Mourinho said. "He was solid as a rock and as we know it's very important for a team to have that tactical knowledge, but also that personality and sense of reading the game.
"Harry Maguire has had to cover Luke Shaw, and he will learn this season that he will have to do this many times.
"He also had the confidence to play - he was fantastic."

roonster09

Scout
Yeah this is the game, also this was the game he criticized Lampard/Chelsea for relying on players like Mount. He is so out of touch with modern game, it's funny.

Also tbh that interview sounds like caf posters. Praise one player by shitting on other player, pure agenda driven words.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The only trophies Shaw has won in his career were under Jose so he should at least be grateful for that. He speaks as though Jose was only bad for his career but in fact, if he looks inside his trophy cabinet, he can thank Jose for those, not Ole.
Well that’s a revisionist take if ever I saw one. The trophies weren’t the issue in Mourinho’s original comments, Shaw was, and not for the first time. If anything Shaw’s response was quite measured and apt while Jose does seem typically pre occupied with one player

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
After reading Shaw's comments, I'm glad he chose to to outlast Mourinho, instead of getting out. I'm sure Mourinho would have sold him in a heartbeat if he expressed a desire to go.

We'd be distraught if we watched Shaw play like he has this season for another club.

Widow

It looks like Mourinho is living rent free in Shaw's head too by the detailed answer he gives.
Wait, that's not how it works pal.

He was asked the question, he answered. Of course it was detailed, it involves him!

He was clearly laughing it off. Sounds like Jose 'the expert man manager' Mourinho can be more of a prick than some portrait. Is it that big of a surprise thought?

roonster09

Scout
After reading Shaw's comments, I'm glad he chose to to outlast Mourinho, instead of getting out. I'm sure Mourinho would have sold him in a heartbeat if he expressed a desire to go.

We'd be distraught if we watched Shaw play like he has this season for another club.
He would have surely sold Shaw and replaced him with Danny Rose.

Good chance we would have players like Rose, Dier, Perisic, Willian in our squad, all on big wages too.

Varun

Staff

Moucunt wanted to sign Danny Rose instead who he eventually got at Spurs only to decide he's shit and wanting a new LB. Typical

padzilla

Hipster
He would have surely sold Shaw and replaced him with Danny Rose.

Good chance we would have players like Rose, Dier, Perisic, Willian in our squad, all on big wages too.
To be fair Ole wanted a new left back to replace Shaw too, when Reguilon knocked us back to go to Spurs we got Telles on loan who turned out to be completely rubbish. Thankfully it lit a fire under Shaw though.

Rolaholic

The Jose defense squad still being a thing on here in 2021 is something I surely didn't see coming before entering this thread :lol:

At the end of the day, it's clear to see who won out in the end. One party just came off the best year of their career professionally while another was forced to leave the country for a club that they would've ridiculed when they were younger...

How the mighty have fallen, keep your head up Luke and leave that bitter old miserable feck to the dustbin of history like the game has

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Remember when we were linked with a £50m move for Danny Rose to replace Shaw?

stu_1992

Fair play to Luke. No one will begrudge him aiming some shots back at Mourinho as he took more than his fair share of shite from him. Some great quotes in there, but honestly the best way he's made Mourinho look ridiculous is by going from strength to strength on the pitch since he was sacked.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Mourinho fans are taking these comments well I see. Big tantrums being thrown on twitter with 'fans' demanding that Shaw is sold this summer for disrespecting their master. :lol:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
To be fair Ole wanted a new left back to replace Shaw too, when Reguilon knocked us back to go to Spurs we got Telles on loan who turned out to be completely rubbish. Thankfully it lit a fire under Shaw though.
Ole wanted a new left back to compete with Shaw. Mourinho wanted one to replace him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Replace or compete? Shaw was our only LB.