Maguire | he stays!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Posters reckoning they would walk away from millions themselves :lol:
When you’re already earning millions then you’d leave for the good of your career. Another Lingard… money first rather than career. Risking his England place for the euros.

Enigma_87

You know who
A back up for big money and wages is the kind of move that got us in this mess. The next CB we buy should be a potential Varane replacement, Pavard isn't it.
Pavard is on less than 90k per week. We pay Hendo more. The money quoted so far are around 30-35m pounds. He has year left on the contract and Bayern lose him for free less than 12 months time so we have leverage.

For reference we’re asking 30m for Maguire.

If you get a backup at 30m pounds at around 120k pounds as weekly wage at 27 years and proven track record with no major injury issues that’s steal in todays market..

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
When you’re already earning millions then you’d leave for the good of your career. Another Lingard… money first rather than career. Risking his England place for the euros.
He’s also far more likely to win trophies at Utd than a shite club like West Ham, though, even if he’s not playing a big part in them. It’s shit, and speaks volumes that he clearly doesn’t care how much he actually plays, but it is another aspect than just the money.

if he stays here he gets a big fat wage and potentially wins more trophies whilst not playing much.
if he goes there he will earn half that wage, probably be in a relegation scrap, and play a lot more.

is it really THAT obvious a move?

massey

harry should be strapped down to the massage table. he should then have his training kit removed. his balls should then be covered in hot wax. rats should then be dropped at his feet to eat up small bits of offal from between his toes. his nipples should be crocodile clamped and tethered to the floor. he’ll cry out the safe word “large pay-off! large pay-off!” but his cries will be ignored.
:lol: ffs that's done me,read it in the voice of moff(Danny dyer) from human traffic aswell, think it was the nipple clamp bit.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No one here would give up playing for United without a fight, let alone giving up millions in the process.

Isn't there rumours Martinez came off injured last night? So he's maybe a Varane injury from starting already.

As for his England place, Mings is maybe out for the season so that's one less competition.

He could still leave yet anyway.

Rojofiam

Fair enough, they're entitled to the money but most United fans won't feel any sympathy for them or admire them for "fighting."
Whether he's staying for the money only or he really sees a chance to fight his way back into the first XI is something we don't know for sure...but I know for sure that if I had been abused for 4 years straight by my own fan base the way Maguire has been, the last thing I would give a feck about is whether I'll have their sympathy or not.

jesperjaap

We should be forcing him out the door, yeah. ETH should have told him he has no place and not included him in the squad yesterday. I know he has said one thing and done another in the media with other players, but to me it doesn't seem that way with Maguire.
It is strange, I mean he doesnt want him or wouldnt have accepted £30m, similar with McTominay. It would be strange to keep players we have accepted to sell not being a sellign club, I mean you would think it would affect the players negatively too....tho Maguire seems from reports too deluded for it to.

But for me if these four signings are the end of our business, it isnt a case of us closign the gap on the top two, its others closig the gap on us as I think those around us have probably had better windows on paper at least

humdinger

It would have been best for all parties if he’d gone. I don’t believe we offered him no financial compensation - we have done that plenty of times in the past to get rid of unwanted players. Maybe he wanted more or maybe he really is delusional and thinks he can get back in the team. I think he’ll regret this though.

Superunknown

Just come home to see this. Wow...that's pretty disappointing. Was hoping we could shift this one on.

Thought we were finally getting to the point where we were moving the hangers on. Guess the club still has much work to do. Hope we're sensible when signing the next batch of players and don't make silly decisions this like, in future.

Abraxas

He couldn't agree personal terms with West Ham. So the payoff doesn't even come into the picture. Unless we are talking about terminating his contract and paying him salary for next 2 years.
It's maybe not such a big distinction, depends how the media want to frame it. Ultimately the more we agree to pay of his remaining contract the easier it is for West Ham and him to reach a deal when 2 years are heavily subsidised.

I guess it's a moot point anyway, it's done and we have to deal with it.

jesperjaap

No one here would give up playing for United without a fight, let alone giving up millions in the process.

Isn't there rumours Martinez came off injured last night? So he's maybe a Varane injury from starting already.

As for his England place, Mings is maybe out for the season so that's one less competition.

Would you stay at your workplace when your boss, colleagues, customers all didnt want you there and you were not performign your job as hoped.

As for England, Mings was never competition, the simple truth is Stones ad Maguire havent had any competition for a few years, the only real promisig centre backs...Gomez at Liverpool declined and Ben Godfrey got a big injury, Mings was always going to just be a squad option at best.......but there are a few comig through now who could be a genuine threat to Maguires Englad form let alone club form and not playing.

Also getting opportunities here isf he did....is it going to enhance things for him, I think the opposite as he is awful with a mistake every time he wears the shirt now, does anybody he think he can turn that round?

Pavl3n

Well, I've never said that for any other player but this thick delusional cnt made me.
I hope he gets benches and never sniffes the turf. I hope he loses his England spot and I hope he gets lowballed once he leaves the club whilst being booed by every single fan.

jesperjaap

One question, does anybody come in for him now? As much as I hate him for us, I genuinely still think he would be a good signing at several pretty big premiership clubs, but majority of them ahve already signed centre backs and not sure the others are looking to. Is there a club people think will come in that he moves to and doesnt turn down?

DJ_21

He’s also far more likely to win trophies at Utd than a shite club like West Ham, though, even if he’s not playing a big part in them. It’s shit, and speaks volumes that he clearly doesn’t care how much he actually plays, but it is another aspect than just the money.

if he stays here he gets a big fat wage and potentially wins more trophies whilst not playing much.
if he goes there he will earn half that wage, probably be in a relegation scrap, and play a lot more.

is it really THAT obvious a move?
I get that but the other players in the dressing room can’t be happy, he’s like a meme to the club and someone who’s easy to mock, If he doesn’t want to move due to footballing reasons fair enough but I think he needs to move for personal reasons… I don’t think West Ham will be as bad as last year if they sign a couple of decent players.

Abraxas

One question, does anybody come in for him now? As much as I hate him for us, I genuinely still think he would be a good signing at several pretty big premiership clubs, but majority of them ahve already signed centre backs and not sure the others are looking to. Is there a club people think will come in that he moves to and doesnt turn down?
I doubt this has increased the chances. If anyone did have him on a shortlist they might be half thinking it's going to be a pretty complicated and expensive package to attract Maguire.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm beyond caring at this point, it's up to him if he thinks he can raise his game to a level where we would use him. I doubt he will, but whatever. Just have to move on with him at this point.

DJ_21

Even with Varane and Martinez out, ETH is gonna probably go Shaw and Lindelof. How obvious has it been that ETH doesn’t see him in his plans. That showed last season when he kept bringing on players to play CB over him every single time. I mean when you move a LB to CB you’ve got no hope. I reckon that CB for C palace could take his place for England.

LARulz

Hard to believe clubs don't do the ground work with the players and their agents before they submitted the bid these days.
Agree which is why this is all confusing

Also, once this bid was accepted I would have expected Moyes to speak to Maguire, especially if there seems to be a hold up to try and get it over the line etc.

As frustrating as this is, based on what he said, I can't exactly blame him. Bid was accepted, wasn't satisfied with the terms offered and the manager of that club seemingly made no effort to personally try and persuade him

jesperjaap

Even with Varane and Martinez out, ETH is gonna probably go Shaw and Lindelof. How obvious has it been that ETH doesn’t see him in his plans. That showed last season when he kept bringing on players to play CB over him every single time. I mean when you move a LB to CB you’ve got no hope. I reckon that CB for C palace could take his place for England.
Also over the next season Colewill at Chelsea and a couple of others could well emerge. Both he and Stones have been fortunate not too have much competition for a long time there, though to be fair both have always done well for us in major finals so far, considering both for several periods have been out of the team for clubs and Stones to had a long spell of really poor form for club

Superunknown

You just know that a more ruthless club would have moved this one on. We're too nice and soft and cuddly. Who wouldn't want to play for us when we're absolute walkovers?!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Would you stay at your workplace when your boss, colleagues, customers all didnt want you there and you were not performign your job as hoped.

As for England, Mings was never competition, the simple truth is Stones ad Maguire havent had any competition for a few years, the only real promisig centre backs...Gomez at Liverpool declined and Ben Godfrey got a big injury, Mings was always going to just be a squad option at best.......but there are a few comig through now who could be a genuine threat to Maguires Englad form let alone club form and not playing.

Also getting opportunities here isf he did....is it going to enhance things for him, I think the opposite as he is awful with a mistake every time he wears the shirt now, does anybody he think he can turn that round?
I'd want to try prove people wrong myself. If it was my dream job and paying double what anyone else would, even more so.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Jonny mostly went with the kids though I think didn't he? According to transfermarkt he played 31 matches last season with a total of 1593 minutes, maybe he is happy enough with similar numbers again.
He was injured for most of last season ...

Crashoutcassius

What is the point you're making within all this? It's not about whether it's "hanging over us" in some metaphorical sense, it is the financial element that was the problem which comes back to the original decision making.

I'm not sure what your point is about City.
my point is that city and chelsea can spend 100m on a player and forget about it. we still obsess over a 'mistake' we made years past. it is close irrelevant if maguire stays or goes. fans treat it like life and death. other clubs just move on, sell the player or just leave them on the bench, no fuss from the fans or media

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Villa

andy0

Quite apart from all the other angles and nuances, is there a picture anywhere of Maguire smiling? Everywhere seems to have him frowning, looking worried

And back to the numbers. The reported wage shortfall is £70,000 a week, which for 2 years comes to £7.28 million

One article says United offered £6 million, which I'd say fair offer, but Maguire demanded £15 million

ScholesyTheWise

Holy cow. The media made us (me?) believe it was practically a done deal.
Feck off.

Maguire is as much a meme as he's a centre-back these days.
That he stays at United and will wear the shirt again is almost funny.

glasgow 21

He has every right to demand his money. I would do the same.
Yeah he has every right to do a deal not hold the Club he was captain of to ransom. He is owed £89,904x52 x3 equals 14.025m. So United has offer 7m up front as a package to leave. He hasn't accepted a deal and wants all the money so to you or him he can take the wrath of the fans. Me, I would stick him in the Phil Jones cupboard as I couldn't careless about Glazers money and the arse needs taught a lesson.

baskinginthesun

It's really only the fans (me included) that don't want him. ETH had publicly stated he's welcome to stay and fight but, understand you're not first choice and you won't be Captain. He seemed quite chatty with players on the bench last night as well. The fact that he's on the bench is enough to understand that he can and probably will be used at some point.