g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Treble

Will they reach 100 pts? They can afford to lose one game (say, Spurs away) and draw 1 from the remaining fixtures. Maybe Guardiola will play weakened sides because of the CL and they will fail to win 100 pts. 96+ pts looks likely though.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I hope you're right mate!

Not sure though. No-one's too big to fail, look at Milan ffs.
The thing with Milan is despite those failures they are still huge globally. They are kind of the Italian Liverpool (though Liverpool have been improving) still a huge club and not fallen enough not to be. It would take doing a Leeds or Villa to knock those clubs. Just imho of course, it's also why I feel City and Chelsea are here to stay.

ZAGREB RED

Maybe we did and he said no.

But yeah, it says everything about how the United board forgot about the football side in their commercial obsession doesn't it. First we got Moyes, then LVG. Complete dereliction of duty.
I think he said recently Fergie asked him but he couldn't understand his accent, or something like that.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Don't think either will happen, I think we'll need to win the derby to wrap it up but can see a draw. We'll win it the week after.
I disagree, I think it’ll be wrapped up by the end of the derby. A draw in the derby will be enough, and we’ll run out winners. If I was a betting man!

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
It's fecking depressing how good they are...it really is.
They've hit the jackpot with Pep.
It's a travesty we didn't even make an attempt.
Its pretty important he signs a two year extension, for us, City fans anyway. Its not going to get better than this when he leaves.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Their planning since the owners have come in has been annoyingly efficient, we just have to hope they feck it up somehow or we step up massively because if this continues for years it’ll be very depressing.

A guard of honour might be good for our players though, motivation for next season.
The indignity of having to endure Vincent Kompany's smug little face as the United players grovel at his feet is just too much to bear.

This cannot happen. Ever.

Last edited:

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The indignity of having to endure Vincent Kompany's smug little face as the United players grovel at his feet is just too much to bear.

This even cannot happen. Ever.
Nah it'll have to happen if they win it before they play us, and I'd also rather that than them winning it against us, the joy inside that shitty stadium would be too much to bear.

Trophy Room

I just don't think we'll win at the Etihad. I cannot fecking believe the timing of the derby. The bloody media euphoria will be sickening really :lol:

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Its pretty important he signs a two year extension, for us, City fans anyway. Its not going to get better than this when he leaves.
You have to win the Champions League

Treble

I just don't think we'll win at the Etihad. I cannot fecking believe the timing of the derby. The bloody media euphoria will be sickening really :lol:
It is in between both legs of the 1/4 finals in the CL. Whcih means that both teams may/will rest players.

AshRK

Not the best day to say it maybe but I would any day prefer the 2006-09 united side of domination than this pass-pass-pass crap. I never enjoyed Spain with their tiki taka nor did I enjoyed Barca doing that. But fair play to city and pep for doing it but that was 90 mins of borefest. And if that was my first game of football, I would never watch this game again. That was pretty bad.

liamp

I think he said recently Fergie asked him but he couldn't understand his accent, or something like that.
That's about as believable as the De Gea transfer being foiled by a fax machine.

Wouldn't be surprised if we asked and he turned us down. Pep's a coach, not a manager (I recall him saying this almost verbatim in an interview with Bayern). I doubt he had any interest in the additional duties he'd have here if he took this job.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Easily the most dominant side I've ever seen in the Premier League, not Barca Levels of brilliance but still, quite a team. Literally looks like they are playing league 1 sides week in week out.
What is this man doing to his players in training? why isn't anybody trying to rip him off? his training methods I mean.
Some very very good players, but not a single super player there. No Messi's, No Ronaldo, No Neymar, just players doing some intense passing and movement drills in trainings I suppose.

Trizy

Not the best day to say it maybe but I would any day prefer the 2006-09 united side of domination than this pass-pass-pass crap. I never enjoyed Spain with their tiki taka nor did I enjoyed Barca doing that. But fair play to city and pep for doing it but that was 90 mins of borefest. And if that was my first game of football, I would never watch this game again. That was pretty bad.
So, you're not an United fan?

Also my first City game apart from vs United earlier in the season. feck me they're boring.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Nah it'll have to happen if they win it before they play us, and I'd also rather that than them winning it against us, the joy inside that shitty stadium would be too much to bear.
It doesn't have to happen, we could simply refuse to participate on the grounds that, well, we just like City very much.

BluesJr

It doesn't have to happen, we could simply refuse to participate on the grounds that, well, we just like City very much.
That would be incredibly small time and not something I'd like to see from our club to be honest.

PepsiCola

Also my first City game apart from vs United earlier in the season. feck me they're boring.

Take a look at their highlights vs Arsenal. They are anything but boring.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

They're only boring because other teams play defensive against them and them having to face a wall of players every time they get in the opposition half

If any team opened up against them the goals would flow like no tomorrow

Treble

Their domination this season is on another level though. United 06/07 were fantastic to watch and scored 83 goals. The 08/09 team wasn't that great in attack though (despite the wealth of attacking talent) and scored only 68 goals. Compare that to City this season. They are already on 83 goals with 9 games to go. That's a different level (domestically wise). They will easily score 100+ goals. Only PSG will match that in Europe and only because they play in a weaker league (and have Neymar).

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I’m guessing there’s been a lot of these types of threads/replies but this is going to be the 1st from me this season: City are amazing good.

I’ve watched a handful of entire games of theirs and every time they’ve just dominated. Today versus Chelsea was no different. The most insane part to me is how they can get the ball back at will. They pass the ball around and toy around with everyone but once they lose possession, they up the tempo instantly, press, and cause a turnover regaining the ball back within mere seconds.

I always have and will take digs at Pep for going to the best league teams with most financial flexibility to make his job 110% as easy as can be. But it doesn’t take away from the amazing job he does and how he always gets his way by implementing his system when it’s all said and done and clearly being the model side. Can’t question that at all and he’s done no different here in the EPL. In a way, I’m also sort of glad he’s been able to do it since I always thought those pro “EPL is the toughest league and Pep/Barca/other top teams would never be able to duplicate their success here” were idiots. Sure, the EPL is a bit more gruelling but in all honesty, it comes down to there not being a clear cut top dog in the league capable of running away with the title. Aka no real top3 world class side and it’s been the case in recent years. But Pep’s been able to orchestrate another world class side and broke the misconception of the EPL being some crazy close League with top quality competition week in week out - which is just not the case.

One last comment...Pep’s teams generally don’t adapt to anyone. That’s a pretty big sign you’re usually the best side and it’s been the case. Not having to worry about that and every opponent adapting to you goes to show who’s bossing who subconsciously and on the field. Yes we have Mourinho and he’s known for adapting to opponents and setting up the best possible tactics for each side so that’s an exception since that’s the way he’s managed his entire career and sort of his specialty. So yea, props to Pep, another day in the office for him lol

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Easily the most dominant side I've ever seen in the Premier League, not Barca Levels of brilliance but still, quite a team. Literally looks like they are playing league 1 sides week in week out.
What is this man doing to his players in training? why isn't anybody trying to rip him off? his training methods I mean.
Some very very good players, but not a single super player there. No Messi's, No Ronaldo, No Neymar, just players doing some intense passing and movement drills in trainings I suppose.
Oh, he drills them alright lol. And it’s all he cares about and has always been his bread and butter. Always being the side that sets the tempo and is the side others adjust to.

Why fix something that ain’t broken? And it’s amazing to think after all these years of coaching no one has still been able to really figure it out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I’m guessing there’s been a lot of these types of threads/replies but this is going to be the 1st from me this season: City are amazing good.

I’ve watched a handful of entire games of theirs and every time they’ve just dominated. Today versus Chelsea was no different. The most insane part to me is how they can get the ball back at will. They pass the ball around and toy around with everyone but once they lose possession, they up the tempo instantly, press, and cause a turnover regaining the ball back within mere seconds.

I always have and will take digs at Pep for going to the best league teams with most financial flexibility to make his job 110% as easy as can be. But it doesn’t take away from the amazing job he does and how he always gets his way by implementing his system when it’s all said and done and clearly being the model side. Can’t question that at all and he’s done no different here in the EPL. In a way, I’m also sort of glad he’s been able to do it since I always thought those pro “EPL is the toughest league and Pep/Barca/other top teams would never be able to duplicate their success here” were idiots. Sure, the EPL is a bit more gruelling but in all honesty, it comes down to there not being a clear cut top dog in the league capable of running away with the title. Aka no real top3 world class side and it’s been the case in recent years. But Pep’s been able to orchestrate another world class side and broke the misconception of the EPL being some crazy close League with top quality competition week in week out - which is just not the case.

One last comment...Pep’s teams generally don’t adapt to anyone. That’s a pretty big sign you’re usually the best side and it’s been the case. Not having to worry about that and every opponent adapting to you goes to show who’s bossing who subconsciously and on the field. Yes we have Mourinho and he’s known for adapting to opponents and setting up the best possible tactics for each side so that’s an exception since that’s the way he’s managed his entire career and sort of his specialty. So yea, props to Pep, another day in the office for him lol
City Lover!

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
City Lover!
Nope.

Like I said, first time I’ve made a comment of this sort this entire season and it feels like the right time to finally do so. Well deserved on their part and I don’t have homer glasses blinding me from telling the truth as others do. Just calling a spade a spade really. Giving credit where credit is due.

AshRK

Their domination this season is on another level though. United 06/07 were fantastic to watch and scored 83 goals. The 08/09 team wasn't that great in attack though (despite the wealth of attacking talent) and scored only 68 goals. Compare that to City this season. They are already on 83 goals with 9 games to go. That's a different level (domestically wise). They will easily score 100+ goals. Only PSG will match that in Europe and only because they play in a weaker league (and have Neymar).
Like I said fair play to city and pep. But I always preferred that football. Moreover united dominated for 3 seasons so this city domination is yet tol reach that level of domination.

AshRK

They're only boring because other teams play defensive against them and them having to face a wall of players every time they get in the opposition half

If any team opened up against them the goals would flow like no tomorrow
But why do you want other teams to play according to their comfort. What Chelsea did today was horrendous but all this pass pass pass is boring (again just my view).

Shark

@NotShark
Nope.

Like I said, first time I’ve made a comment of this sort this entire season and it feels like the right time to finally do so. Well deserved on their part and I don’t have homer glasses blinding me from telling the truth as others do. Just calling a spade a spade really.
Except that they don't deserve anything, really. Only fifteen years ago City were playing the likes of Macclesfield in division two. I feel kind of meh when they win the title because their success is completely hollow. At least Chelsea for instance were somewhat competitive at the top level, nobody knew who the hell City were before their takeover.

Greck

Watching us play Chelsea last week you just knew they wouldn't have have a chance if their coach used the same mindset this week. If they were willing to surrender the initiative to us they would surely crumble against these lot.

Moonred

Today the whole match was drab. Can’t say it’s the case every day, certainly wasn’t the case the first 30 mins against hapless arse on Thursday.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
But why do you want other teams to play according to their comfort. What Chelsea did today was horrendous but all this pass pass pass is boring (again just my view).
Well how is he supposed to make his team entertaining when Chelsea are parking the bus

If Chelsea came out to play they would be played off the park and concede too many goals

His teams definitely would not be boring if other teams were more adventurous against them

When there is 21 players in one half of the pitch it is congested and hard to break through as the attacking team

Treble

Like I said fair play to city and pep. But I always preferred that football. Moreover united dominated for 3 seasons so this city domination is yet tol reach that level of domination.
Agree, one wonder season won't do.

CA1

I honestly believe only Liverpool or ourselves can stop them in Europe. I just don't see Barca, Bayern and Real as in the right moment to do it. I think they've all kind of accepted their fate.

Liverpool is obvious why because of their style, although I think they'd need a second leg at Anfield.

I say us, people will snigger. But again if we got a tight result at the Etihad in a first leg, I have a feeling we could just absolutely roar our lads on. In the Derby game, we were slated but I honestly felt throughout it we could get something from it. They never cut us apart, just two set piece goals. And we played crap.

BluesJr

I honestly believe only Liverpool or ourselves can stop them in Europe. I just don't see Barca, Bayern and Real as in the right moment to do it. I think they've all kind of accepted their fate.

Liverpool is obvious why because of their style, although I think they'd need a second leg at Anfield.

I say us, people will snigger. But again if we got a tight result at the Etihad in a first leg, I have a feeling we could just absolutely roar our lads on. In the Derby game, we were slated but I honestly felt throughout it we could get something from it. They never cut us apart, just two set piece goals. And we played crap.
I agree with this, I'd probably prefer for Liverpool to knock them out though then take them on. Far more weakness in that team than there is to City.

AshRK

Well how is he supposed to make his team entertaining when Chelsea are parking the bus

If Chelsea came out to play they would be played off the park and concede too many goals

His teams definitely would not be boring if other teams were more adventurous against them

When there is 21 players in one half of the pitch it is congested and hard to break through as the attacking team
I am talking about the style in general. I am not a big fan of keeping the ball for the sake of it and it has nothing to do on the basis of todays game. I repeat for 3 rd time fair play to city and pep for winning. There is no denying they deserve to win the title but just that I have never been a fan of this tiki taka and pass pass football.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Except that they don't deserve anything, really. Only fifteen years ago City were playing the likes of Macclesfield in division two. I feel kind of meh when they win the title because their success is completely hollow.
Pot, meet kettle.

Lol don’t be so bitter. Yea it’s tough to digest but there’s not much of a difference between them spending vs other teams. Give or take, the top English sides are around the same ballpark. If throwing money at the wall was the answer to all problems, shouldn’t all the top English teams be as good as City? ...still have to incorporate players into the system and get them to buy into it. How many sides do we see (including us) that spend big and fail just off the the new acquisition simply not fitting in? It’s not as easy as it looks and again is where the props are being given and rightfully so.

Cloud7

I think since clubs spending was more about their owners money than what they generated themselves certainly in this country, for me I see it as the end of one chapter and the beginning of another. A definition of a big club was very much about their history on world football. There are clubs like AC Milan that haven't won anything for a long time but I'd still say are a big club. It seems that 'new money' buys you great players and managers which is enough to call you a big club. It's funny as the more it's just about money, the more it devalues clubs achievements. The PL has more significance for those who haven't won it. Chelsea lifting the trophy was quickly forgotten and it's all about the here and now. If city win it by 20 points yet don't win the CL, it will be no better achievement than previous managers. Attracting big players is positive but I'm sure players didn't come there to emulate the achievements of Colin Bell. I think big clubs still attract players because of their history. The badge still counts for your position in world football.

For me they will never be big clubs cause no matter if someone puts a billion pounds into where I'm from say Birmingham City, Aston Villa will always be a bigger club. New money can't buy you History.
Funny that you mention Milan, considering they literally are the massive club that they are because of Burlesconi injecting money into the club. They were the original sugar daddy team, just did it in a different era so they became a “historically great club”. Should have used a better example mate :lol:

Greck

I am talking about the style in general. I am not a big fan of keeping the ball for the sake of it and it has nothing to do on the basis of todays game. I repeat for 3 rd time fair play to city and pep for winning. There is no denying they deserve to win the title but just that I have never been a fan of this tiki taka and pass pass football.
Don't like tiki taka either but teams parking the bus is why it's boring. When the season started and teams played City with less respect they were humiliating teams with end to end counter attacks. Then teams started parking the bus and it devolved into boring shitfest. Maybe that's why we hate it. When it's done right, teams retreat and the games become too one sided

stepic

This asterisks stuff is just bs. The league has never been fair. How do you think it feels to support a team like Burnley or Brighton who have no chance of ever competing financially and win the league? We slid all fans shouldn’t talk given United previously spent more than anyone before the sugar daddies arrived.