Manchester United vs Real Madrid (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
When Totti scored, the only players who were replaced from the team which started were Casillas, Pepe and Coentrao and were replaced by Lopez, Nacho and Arbeloa. None of these are kids. (Except for a youngster to youngster swap)Also, Roma made their own substitutions.

Obviously beating Madrid won't be easy, it is different game altogether and yes Madrid might have had better chances against Roma. Doesn't mean Roma beat a team of kids. Facts points to something else.

Whoever loses this, actually wins.

Red_head7

Can see both managers putting out strong teams, in order to make a point to the fans/other teams and managers watching. I'm not overly confident about a win, although I do think the fluidity we've been playing with in our pre-season so far serves us well when going up against Madrid's defence.

The big problem of course if their front 4 against our back 5 (or 3?). Rodriguez, Bale, Ronaldo and Benzema is without doubt the best attacking 4 in the world IMO, and our defence is shaky, we all know that. Will be interesting to see how LVG combats this. I think Blackett, in his last game at least, looked great but would feel more comfortable seeing a back 3 of Jones, Smalling and Evans, which, if nothing else, integrates some sort of continuity into our defence, which last year there was very little of, and caused us to lose points.

Will be a good game, and the difference in confidence I have this year as opposed to if Moyes was taking charge of this game are massive :devil:

Reactions: Niall

anidea

Travelling across the country for this match ! It will be good to see Real's full attacking force against our new-look, new-formation, Van Gaal-powered defense. Surprisingly, I go into it believing we might actually win this one! What a contrast to last season. Fecking Moyes :(, he made us truly feel like a mid-table team in just one season after being decades of champions :(.

Bring it ON !

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I actually want to see Bale, James Rodriguez and Ronaldo playing against our defense.
As do I. We need to see how our back 3 will perform against top competition. If as most suspect we're not up to par, this will hopefully be the impetus to make some moves.

LknudUtd

Would like to see Kagawa given a chance as a 10 in the strongest setup with Herrera, Rooney and Welbeck, to see how well he links up with them.

I already know Mata does amazingly in the role, so would be nice to see if Kagawa is up for the task.

Brightonian

Would like to see Kagawa given a chance as a 10 in the strongest setup with Herrera, Rooney and Welbeck, to see how well he links up with them.

I already know Mata does amazingly in the role, so would be nice to see if Kagawa is up for the task.
I agree at some point we need to try that out. It's hardly fair to Kagawa to compare him based solely on performances in the more experimental second-half sides (some of them not even at #10).

But I wish we hadn't left it until this particular match. I know it's just another friendly but I feel like we should start our strongest available side, and that means Mata. Maybe Kagawa could start the Valencia match at OT?

Ole240599

Going to make a diversion and go to Saturday's game. Would I be good getting tickets from scalper's (touts) outside the ground? Also, Americans like to tail gate - will there be something going on before the game?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I think Real will play majority of their kids/squad players. We really should be winning this one.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Shouldn't Madrid's form be LL as they lost against Inter and Roma?

United could beat these lot

hamad138

They have ronaldo but we have van gaal

3:0 with strong dominance of Man Utd

What time is this match

Last edited:

FromTheBench

I wanna meet Liverpool/City in the final and beat them more than this game. Though win here would be sweet as well.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Oh trust me you don't...
Nah, it'd be an interesting test.

Against strong 4-3-3s, the ones with one striker and two formidable wingers, our 5-3-2 will be put in test. I'm afraid that tricky wingers like Sanchez and Sterling will isolate our CBs in areas they're uncomfortable and the wingbacks will be dealing with fullbacks that present a serious attacking threat. LvG will be able to assess our players and formation in this scenario.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Can't fecking wait for this. My first United game, and only my second game at the Big House. Buzzing.
Saw United for the first time in DC. Amazing dosen't cover it. Our section even had few renditions of Cantona and Rooney songs!

golazo

Melbourne, AU - Constantly F5'ing the Vidal thread
I remember when utd beat barca in pre season and nani scored the winner. Ahh good times...
I remember beating them in the UCL semi final just a few years ago, then winning the final not long after ;)

But, let's not look back to the past constantly, like those Scouse.

Go out and send a message to these cnuts. And also someone get in Bale's ear and tell him we want him as a wing back!

GRon

I'd be surprised if we do not get torn apart by Bale and Ronaldo, especially if Ashley Young plays as wing back.

CG1010

I remember when utd beat barca in pre season and nani scored the winner. Ahh good times...
Yeah, that match and then our subsequent start had given me high hopes that this team with cleverley, welbeck, and co would become a world class team. Cleverley had played so well in that match. Goes to show that you cannot draw much out of the friendlies.

ricky-romeo

and cleverley bossed the midfield. we all thought he was going to be the answer to our midfield problems.

anyway we all have the rights to expect good things under LVG now.

Electriceye

Yeah, that match and then our subsequent start had given me high hopes that this team with cleverley, welbeck, and co would become a world class team. Cleverley had played so well in that match. Goes to show that you cannot draw much out of the friendlies.
Cleverley and Welbeck both started against Real Madrid in the CL the season before last and played pretty well, we were the better team but lost due to Nani's stupid red card.

They are good players (I would argue Welbeck is VERY good), but under Moyes everyone was made to look average. Take a look at Liverpool last season and tell me who you would have picked from their team to start for united at the start of the season?

That's the difference the quality of a manager makes, it's by far the most important aspect of a team's performance yet it's still underestimated.

We shouldn't base anything on last season under Moyes, it was a one off and I'm pretty confident we'll show exactly that this season since we have a brilliant manager at the helm again.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Isn't the match tomorrow. So presser should be today. Any idea of the time.
Sorry, should have specified that I'm in California so it's tomorrow for me. Looks like United's training session is scheduled for 7pm EST. Previously, LVG's press conferences have been held about a half hour prior to the start of their training sessions which would put it at 6:30pm EST. Can't find anything to confirm this, mind.

gaucho_10

I'm glad we're out of this tournament. European Supercup is in 11 days and the new players are arriving to Madrid today. The team needs to get back home as soon as possible to prepare for the game in Cardiff.

As for this game, 110k people paid for their tickets and both teams need to respect that and play a half serious game of football.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Cleverley and Welbeck both started against Real Madrid in the CL the season before last and played pretty well, we were the better team but lost due to Nani's stupid red card.

They are good players (I would argue Welbeck is VERY good), but under Moyes everyone was made to look average. Take a look at Liverpool last season and tell me who you would have picked from their team to start for united at the start of the season?

That's the difference the quality of a manager makes, it's by far the most important aspect of a team's performance yet it's still underestimated.

We shouldn't base anything on last season under Moyes, it was a one off and I'm pretty confident we'll show exactly that this season since we have a brilliant manager at the helm again.
Only De Gea came out of last season with his reputation enhanced. Everyone played within themselves. The same names keep getting trotted out, as if only they played badly, but the truth is nobody was at their best apart from De Gea: Our players admitted as much when they voted Dave the club's player of the season. For a lot of players the clock stopped at the Hawthorns at the end of 2012/13, and its only starting again now under Louis Van Gaal. I'd rather judge them by the levels they reached that season than last season.

I'm really keen to win this game because I want to have a chance to play Liverpool (or City). Seeing how angry Van Gaal got on the touchline of the Inter game I'm looking forward to seeing him on the touchline for a North West or Manchester derby. Also, if we can beat Madrid and then one of our major domestic rivals it will be a big psychological boost ahead of next season.

Donut

What are the rest of the preseason games guys? I can't find it anywhere, it only says about this US tour.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What are the rest of the preseason games guys? I can't find it anywhere, it only says about this US tour.
We have a game vs Valencia on the 11th and that's it, unless we make the final here.

tim10rooney

Considering LvG make a lot of subs at half time. Do we really wanted to see the best line up, for this moment, in the first half? I mean, I like to see players like Cleverly and Smalling the full 90 minutes. Players who are maybe not the ones who will begin against Swansea.

ya93sin

I don't expect we can keep a clean sheet, then again I suspect Real Madrid can't either. Will be a fantastic game, two teams who love to attack

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Got to meet the squad and get autographs today at GM headquarters. Brilliant turnout with plenty of fans showing up. Not the sort of thing that happens everyday in Michigan. :D

Brightonian

This is an excellent post.

predator

Youth NITK
I think we'll get stuffed 4-1. Our midfield and defence will be highly exposed from the word go.

But this is a good thing as it will push LVG to sign Vidal and Hummels.

Status
Not open for further replies.