Manchester United vs Tottenham (Thu 25th July, 12:30 UK time)

Infestissumam

It's always a dangerous game getting excited about preseason but in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong we look to have 3 genuinely exciting youngsters, and a manager who just might place his trust in them (never would have said that a year ago.)
don't forget Garner. He'll need more time of course.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Bit of a smash and grab but I'll take it. Thought Spurs were the better team in the second half despite having a bunch of no names on the field.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just like Pogba does on occasion over the last 2 seasons?

Each player has faults.

Fred needs game time to improve - its his 2nd appearance preseason.

Lay off the lad a little, the hate he is getting is way over the top.

Way our midfield is at the mo - Fred WILL be a part of it.

Lingard, Mata and Matic had worse games today
This.

Its so tiring listening to the incessant moaning. He has probably put in 60mins of playing time to date?

Ibi Dreams

The ball looked glued to Gomes' feet when he ran on to Mata's pass and dribbled towards goal. Fantastic technique

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We played well again.
It's only preseason, but we look a lot better prepared compared to last season.
We need more signings, but hopefully this good preparation means we have a good start to the season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We played well again.
It's only preseason, but we look a lot better prepared compared to last season.
We need more signings, but hopefully this good preparation means we have a good start to the season.
At least there seems to be some method to what we are doing. That is great to see.

Funky Futurista

Everyone hating on Fred just throws away the fact that this is his second game in pre-season, and he came on in the second half when Spurs put on a much stronger attack. Matic is the one that deserves critisism this game. He just can't keep up anymore.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just like Pogba does on occasion over the last 2 seasons?

Each player has faults.

Fred needs game time to improve - its his 2nd appearance preseason.

Lay off the lad a little, the hate he is getting is way over the top.

Way our midfield is at the mo - Fred WILL be a part of it.

Lingard, Mata and Matic had worse games today
Mata who set up the winner you mean? Fred was poor, its as simple as that.
Fred needs to be better than he was last season, and much better than he was today, otherwise he has no place at United.

Spielmacher

Wonder if someone will try to coach it out of him, or if he'lll just rot basically.
Last season he was behind Lindelöf, Smalling and Jones in the pecking order under Ole, don't think that will change, there were even rumours that the club would like to sell him over Rojo. Personally I hope we at least try to get rid of both, even if it seems impossible, considering their injury record and wages.
Of course there's also the argument that his injury record isn't that important if he's only a backup player.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm sorry but on current showing I'd have Ashley Fecking Young at left back rather than Shaw.

He looked knackered from minute 1 and offers barely anything at both ends.

NJM78

You just know Gomes will not get a sniff if Lingard and Mata are fit.

Chong I would say even less a chance as he looks better on the left like about 20 of our players. Greenwood looks the most likely but I fear Lukaku stays, Greenwood plays about 100 minutes all season.

R'hllor

So many choices for the left wing..
No choices for the right wing..

Its comical.

Greenwood is probably our best option right now.
We could have prime Bale on the right, he would still be ignored for some period.

Nick7

We were pretty disjointed and a couple of the guys, sadly Dalot and Fred, look off it a little. Thought Shaw looked a bit leggy too, but a couple more games to go.
Disjointed, yeah I'd agree with that. But not altogether awful. As you say, couple more games before the real stuff starts.

StrettyEnder07

Take that, brilliant from Gomes, have a feeling Tuanzebe Gomes Greenwood especially could be like 3 new signings this year,not overly bothered on Bruno.

DMC and CB and I will actually be happy enough

NJM78

I'm sorry but on current showing I'd have Ashley Fecking Young at left back rather than Shaw.

He looked knackered from minute 1 and offers barely anything at both ends.
Please no, I just can't see him start for us.
Shaw is usally a slow burner though so I think he will be fine come start of season.

Nick7

Everyone hating on Fred just throws away the fact that this is his second game in pre-season, and he came on in the second half when Spurs put on a much stronger attack. Matic is the one that deserves critisism this game. He just can't keep up anymore.
He played against Inter. Was actually quite good in that game.

Kearnkoff69

Mata is absolutely awful as a RW. It was the first time in the entire half that he moved in the middle. So if Ole is going to play him on the right, it's bad (as assists will give him more gametime over the season to the detriment of the team). If Mata plays in the middle its another story, but I wouldn't be so sure
I see your edit to your original post. Regardless, I wouldn't be so sure that Mata is going to be our starting RW, and surely the coaching staff will be noting where players perform the best so maybe him popping up with contributions in the middle will be flagged for further consideration. My original point stands - which is, moaning about a player doing what we brought him into the team to do is nonsensical.

Funky Futurista

Last season he was behind Lindelöf, Smalling and Jones in the pecking order under Ole, don't think that will change, there were even rumours that the club would like to sell him over Rojo. Personally I hope we at least try to get rid of both, even if it seems impossible, considering their injury record and wages.
Of course there's also the argument that his injury record isn't that important if he's only a backup player.
We have to get rid of some of them at least. Prefer to get rid of Rojo and Jones, but might as well get rid of Bailly also if the injuries keep up. The positive today was that Tuanzebe got to play, and that he looked really good when called upon.

Funky Futurista

He played against Inter. Was actually quite good in that game.
Yeah forgot about that, so edited my post :D
But yeah, played better against Inter. Think he has more to offer, but not as a DM. Also, having Matic next to him against a pressing Spurs side is really hard. There's a reason they made it to the CL final last year.

siw2007

Good performance against an excellent team. We handled their physicality well and are starting to look more like a team as games go on. Great goal be Gomes too, sure he will be more involved this year.

Based on pre season so far by the time we get to Milan the best lineup is probably something like:

De Gea
AWB - Smalling* - Lindelof - Shaw
Pereira** - McT - Pogba
Rashford - Martial - James

With Greenwood very, very close to being in that front 3.

*hopefully Maguire
**Fred is probably the better option but he was useless today. We're very light in midfield.

MisterLupus

We were the better team during first half and on equal terms during the second. Quite impressed with what I saw - especially considering the fact that Tottenham actually seemed to want this. We looked better in the final third than we've done so far this preseason - and just as solid defensively. Teamwork has definitely improved all across the field - and our attackers weren't snatching at chances playing in their own bubbles blind to their options the way they often have been lately. Lingard and Rashford both have a lot of improving to do in that regard though - I haven't been impressed with them so far - they seem very immature in their decision-making to be honest - but overall our team looked both improved and coherent.

Martial's goal was somewhat fortunate but it made up for his bad luck when hitting the post (can't believe that one didn't go in) - their goal was a total fluke but in fairness their overall play warranted it - and Gomes' finish was such a beauty I think it would have impressed Solskjær even in his prime striking days.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

The young lads will be good enough soon...it’s just about using Matic, Mata and Jesse until they get there.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
That Marriott Bonvoy advert on MUTV.

Poor lady had to share a bus table sitting across from Young and Jones.

What a fecking shame.