Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He's more talented than Jones or Smalling and it'll show this season.
I can't see real talent in him, especially with what he did last season. Jones when he came showed great talent, but then get worse and worse. But Rojo is an average player. He can/be a backup to the starters no more

Question234

I like rojo, for some reason he just gives of the vibe that he'd go as far as kidnapping for the club.

He's hard as nails to, hoping this is a good season for him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This place is the epicenter of anorexia in the world, everyone is fat or gained weight.

forevrared

Seems like something of a forgotten man as far as our centreback options go among fans this summer. He's surely preferred to Blind as our left footed option. There's no reason he couldn't form a fantastic partnership with Smalling. Albeit not quite there yet, they have a bit of Ferdinand and Vidic to them.

U99ted

Seems like something of a forgotten man as far as our centreback options go among fans this summer. He's surely preferred to Blind as our left footed option. There's no reason he couldn't form a fantastic partnership with Smalling. Albeit not quite there yet, they have a bit of Ferdinand and Vidic to them.
I agree, and hope Van Gaal puts him instead of Blind in Friday's lineup. Rojo gets underrated on here, and is our best current CB apart from Smalling in my opinion.

Raw

I thought the Smalling - Rojo partnership looked pretty good last season. Rojo a bit shaky at times but United were still quite defensively sound. I certainly hope he comes in to replace Blind when he's fit.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
His tackle against Yaya Toure was outstanding, his best moment for us. People were crying penalty but he GOT the ball!!!

Danillaco

I thought the Smalling - Rojo partnership looked pretty good last season. Rojo a bit shaky at times but United were still quite defensively sound. I certainly hope he comes in to replace Blind when he's fit.
I think it's the best partnership we got too. And fits the whole right foot/left foot defense. I really like Rojo, his one on one skills are very good.

C'est Moi Cantona

The problem is though unless Blind is injured or has an absolute howler he might not, LvG seems to want to shoehorn Blind into the team whenever he is available, the midfield in now locked for him, and unless Shaw gets injured then so in the LB position.

Maybe I'm doing Blind a disservice but other than having a cool head, and having the eye for a pass he seems to have non of the attributes to be a top defender.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The problem is though unless Blind is injured or has an absolute howler he might not, LvG seems to want to shoehorn Blind into the team whenever he is available, the midfield in now locked for him, and unless Shaw gets injured then so in the LB position.

Maybe I'm doing Blind a disservice but other than having a cool head, and having the eye for a pass he seems to have non of the attributes to be a top defender.
The only attributes that he lacks his patience, he tends to chase the ball everywhere, it was bothering for a midfielder and it's idiotic for a centerback. But I'm sure, he will fix that.
Though Rojo is a better CB, he is faster, stronger and more confident.

Charlie Foley

I quite enjoyed watching Smojo around last winter. I'd like to see more of that pairing again when Rojo is fit.

Getsme

He hasn't the discipline for central defence. Or the awareness.

Hes not a bad left back, not as good as Shaw or Blind though.
Really? I thought he was our best CB at times last year, given that if was his first season in a new league, couldn't speak the language and had just come off a hard fought World Cup campaign (in which he got into the team of the tournament) that's not a bad achievement.
I've no idea why you said he doesn't have the awareness or dicipiline to play CB, it seems to be the go to criticism when someone doesn't actually know why they don't like a certain player.

pacifictheme

Really? I thought he was our best CB at times last year, given that if was his first season in a new league, couldn't speak the language and had just come off a hard fought World Cup campaign (in which he got into the team of the tournament) that's not a bad achievement.
I've no idea why you said he doesn't have the awareness or dicipiline to play CB, it seems to be the go to criticism when someone doesn't actually know why they don't like a certain player.
And new league / language is a go to defence ;)

Thats my opinion. I don't dislike him. Hes just not good enough for central defence in my opinion. He seems very rash to me.

Getsme

And new league / language is a go to defence ;)

Thats my opinion. I don't dislike him. Hes just not good enough for central defence in my opinion. He seems very rash to me.
It's not, it's fact. Further, I didn't use it as a defence for his performances. I used it in spite off.

pacifictheme

It's not, it's fact. Further, I didn't use it as a defence for his performances. I used it in spite off.
Ok. I'm not really up for arguing about someone who is going to be a fringe player at best. And rightfully so. You're clearly a big fan of his to drag me here from another thread. I think we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Getsme

Ok. I'm not really up for arguing about someone who is going to be a fringe player at best. And rightfully so. You're clearly a big fan of his to drag me here from another thread. I think we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I "dragged" you here from the Twitter thread as the talk in that thread has to be about tweets, this discussion obviously isn't. As for being a big fan? No, I think he's had a decent first season, and I'm more than willing to give him a second season to show his true worth. Many posters write off a player before they've saw him play, or simply because they aren't a big enough name. I guess thats the way football is going.

Raw

I "dragged" you here from the Twitter thread as the talk in that thread has to be about tweets, this discussion obviously isn't. As for being a big fan? No, I think he's had a decent first season, and I'm more than willing to give him a second season to show his true worth. Many posters write off a player before they've saw him play, or simply because they aren't a big enough name. I guess thats the way football is going.
Agreed. If it were up to RedCafe we would have replaced Vidic and Evra long ago.

pacifictheme

Saw him play every game last season. Quite a few at OT. Smalling is hardly a big name but i like him.

I hope Rojo proves me wrong. Don't see it happening.

ChaddyP

He's rash, positioning not great, invites danger, even though he's tall not a very good header of the ball, and his reading of the game isnt that good for a defender. Squad player at best for me, has good physique and is quite comfortable on the ball.
I disagree with the he's rash bit. He seemed everything but that last season. Maybe he was all these things @ sporting but definitely not for us. Almost sounds like you described Jones.

I think he will become our first choice CB alongside Smalling this season. Hes fearless, good on the ball and extremely motivated. There have been top class defenders working with less than that in the past.

Jones has more talent but not the brain for it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's rash, positioning not great, invites danger, even though he's tall not a very good header of the ball, and his reading of the game isnt that good for a defender. Squad player at best for me, has good physique and is quite comfortable on the ball.
Is this the Rojo thread or the Jones thread?

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
I think rojo & jones make great partners if partnered with a 'softer DM' like carrick. However if we play a fluid back line of smalling & Blind then we need a tough bastard in the centre covering them; someone like schneiderlin but i dont think he is ready yet.

VanGaalEra

Phil Jones you're talking about, right?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Rojo is our worst CB. Don't understand how people can call Jones rash and clumsy and then praise Rojo who is much worse without any of the upsides.

Blind > Rojo.

matt23

He's the kind of player I hope gets better. Seems like he likes a scrap, and could be extremely dislikeable if you didn't support us. We still need more of these.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I like him, thought he did ok in his first season, without being excellent. A few mistakes here and there but not much more than Jones.
I like his attitude, and he likes a duel, he has that bit of Vidic about him, although he can be a bit rash (which he needs to improve)

All in all though, especially in the FA cup games vs the lower teams, you could see he relishes a duel, and that hes not the type of defender to get bullied. I think with a bit of work, he could make a good defender, especially if Smalling turns out to be a leader who can work with him.

Also he is very good on the ball too, and left footed.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Where is he btw? Is he back in Manchester or still stuck in Argentina with passport problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.