Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I hope to see him partner Smalling now. Needs game but I rate him and really think he could have a good season. Rusty though but only way to get rid of that is by playing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People have to consider, it's his first game from last season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I hope to see him partner Smalling now. Needs game but I rate him and really think he could have a good season. Rusty though but only way to get rid of that is by playing.
Have to say the thought of this fills me with dread. Can't think of a single game where he impressed me as a CB. Reckless and no sense of defensive positioning. He makes Phil Jones look composed in comparison.

Slightly stronger and quicker than Blind but not even a fraction of the intelligence and ability on the ball that has made Blind such a useful players for us so far this season. Blind and Jones should both be ahead of Rojo in the CB pecking order. McNair too IMHO.

Eric'sCollar

Have to say the thought of this fills me with dread. Can't think of a single game where he impressed me as a CB. Reckless and no sense of defensive positioning. He makes Phil Jones look composed in comparison.

Slightly stronger and quicker than Blind but not even a fraction of the intelligence and ability on the ball that has made Blind such a useful players for us so far this season. Blind and Jones should both be ahead of Rojo in the CB pecking order. McNair too IMHO.
Thought he did well last season there, not great but showed good signs. Thought he handled tough strikers like Drogba very well. No doubt Blind is far more intelligent but as an out and out defender, I really think Rojo has something.

Jones would be 50/50 for me over Rojo but McNair is way off starting every week over him in my opinion.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thought he did well last season there, not great but showed good signs. Thought he handled tough strikers like Drogba very well. No doubt Blind is far more intelligent but as an out and out defender, I really think Rojo has something.

Jones would be 50/50 for me over Rojo but McNair is way off starting every week over him in my opinion.
Drogba's a shadow of his former self and my main memory of Rojo against Chelsea was getting rinsed by Hazard with a wild lunge at the edge of the box. I always try to look at the positives with new signings but this bloke has never looked even close to good enough. At least giving McNair games will have benefits in the long-term.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Probably being harsh but I genuinely think he's an awful defender. Need Jones back ASAP.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably being harsh but I genuinely think he's an awful defender. Need Jones back ASAP.
I'm with you. Again, feel like I'm being really harsh on the bloke... and it is genuinely great that he seems to love being at United so much, but I really couldn't tell you one thing that he's very good at.

Yet, there are people on this forum who believe that he's better then Jones, so you know, maybe we're wrong.

Eric'sCollar

Drogba's a shadow of his former self and my main memory of Rojo against Chelsea was getting rinsed by Hazard with a wild lunge at the edge of the box. I always try to look at the positives with new signings but this bloke has never looked even close to good enough. At least giving McNair games will have benefits in the long-term.
Of course it wasn't Drogba of 5 years ago but he was still in good shape last season and played well against us but Rojo dealt quite well I thought.

No doubt Rojo can be rash but I also think that is one of his strengths, he is a winner and wants to win everything, just needs to pick when to and when not to. He is still young and will learn.

There is no rush with McNair to give him games, sure it would be good to see but as long as he is in and around picking up a few games here and there, I'm not worried about his long term future. In 3 or so years, that's when he needs to be playing.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's not as bad as people are making out to be, can't really think of too many major mistakes he's made since he's been here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I simply don't understand how people have made their minds up and concluded that Rojo is a terrible defender. I agree with Pogue that Blind is a far more intelligent player (he's probably more intelligent than all our players bar Carrick and Schweinsteiger) but it's not like Rojo is a piece of piss, he's an actual defender and he's done well for Argentina IMV.

I'd throw McNair in there as he looks like he can become a serious top class defender and with such a stable back 4 that can only bring him on. But if he's not deemed ready I don't see how Rojo is a poor option. Evan's was not good enough and he'd been here for years and didn't make the grade. Jones is capable of becoming a top defender, but it's risky counting on him in a settled back 4 given that he's injured half the time, which of course counts against him.

wiz4231

Alot of knee-jerk reactions but this is the cafe and so expected. Give him a few games and more than a few will be eating their words.

Bojan11

Thought his passing was supposed to be really good. Very sloppy on the ball.

Devil may care

He left Blind too isolated at times, which isn't all on him as we have to watch that aspect due to Blind's physical limitations so it impedes the LB's role, but Shaw did it so well that other than against Swansea it went unhindered. I can't deny he makes me nervous.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Needs more game time and just like Romero, didn't had a pre-season this year so the rust is not really that surprising.

Can't wait for Louie to say that he needs to 'build him'... feckin Bob.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He wasn't good but playing him at CB might have been better but he still doesn't really convince me as a top CB

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
all the terrible defender business is a bit odd. but it's probably because he's measured on a different scale to your McNairs etc.
McNair being a home grown guy, will get more sympathy for the same sort of display.

Probably best putting both in against Ipswich. Both need a game, and for certain Smalling needs to be saved for the bigger games as if he's out for a while we're really screwed.

Obiorahking_

In the first half he was absolute crap.
-He failed to close down the guy who put in the cross that led to the goal.
-He made a bunch of silly passes
-He resorted to crossing into the box aimlessly from a long way out
-He missed a simple pass to Rooney who had ample space in front of and and decided to pass it back all the way to Depay

He was the worst player on the pitch that half;fortunatly, he grew into the game in the second half. His defending became much better, as he closed down wingers much better and he started to make better passes. It didn't make much sense why Van Gaal replaced him when he started playing well.

He looks clearly in need of consistent game time if we want to see the best of him imo.

Varun

Staff
He wasn't good but playing him at CB might have been better but he still doesn't really convince me as a top CB
He isn't and unless things drastically change, isn't going to be one either. I'm just hoping we get a solid squad option out of him.

Obiorahking_

He isn't and unless things drastically change, isn't going to be one either. I'm just hoping we get a solid squad option out of him.
Yeah, one of his main issues seems to stem from the lack of communication..

Raw

Still think he can do well at the club. He's been out for a long time and has to get used to the style of play and the intensity of the league again. So so sloppy in the first half but he did better in the 2nd.

He'll come good after more game time, I'm sure of it.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I can totally understand LvG's thinking in keeping Blind at CB and Rojo LB for this game given that Blind has been playing well there and it's particularly important to have stability at the back. After today it shouldn't happen anymore. Rojo is too clumsy and technically lacking to attack effectively and Blind's physical limitations as a CB are obvious. If he doesn't switch them I'll be disappointed.

marlowe78

I'm not that keen on him as a LB even though I felt he should've stayed in the game. He is not very good coming forward on the wing for how decent he is with the ball and his inability to make solid runs like Shaw forced Memphis to drop into the middle third too many times. He also tends to linger upfield instead of dropping back into position. I think he is much better as a CB. The problem is, Blind is too slow to play LB.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Thought he was good today for the most part, especially for someone who was making his first start of the season. Find it strange that most of the caf have decided he's shit when he's usually been reliable for us.

VanGaalEra

Done well covering round the back when a cross came in and got more minutes under his belt.

His little chipped pass to Mata in the build up to our goal was good too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Find it strange that most of the caf have decided he's shit when he's usually been reliable for us.
With how well Shaw was playing - literally our best attacking player for most games all the way from LB - Rojo was always going to be filling some big boots. Think he should play LB against Ipswich again. Let him take that position all season until Shaw is back, really.

fatboy

He needs a proper run of games. Must remember that he virtually missed the entire pre-season. In the longer term, I see him as a CB though.

surf

Not sure whether he is the type of thinking defender that van Gaal seems to favour. However, Shaw is injured, McNair is poor at defending, and Jones is not fit yet, so this is Rojo's chance.

Give him time and he will come good. He hadnt kicked a ball in anger in months and he was still reasonable. He was fine last year and as a LB he kept far better players than he will face most weeks in the Premier League quiet at the World Cup.

RU Devil

Tight hammy. Figures, we need to start playing Rojo more and he gets himself hurt. The curse of the MU Defenders strikes again. 3 defenders down in the course of 5 days, with McNair picking up a knock. Figure Valencia will need to come in for Darmian, who'll get shifted to the left. Maybe Young gets to play LB in the Cap One Cup tomorrow to rest Darmian? Either way, we'll have at least 2 midfielders playing in the back 4, maybe 3.

LVG don't sound too happy with Rojo not taking himself out sooner. Good way to get yourself in the doghouse. Considering the relative lack of rest until the next international break, a really bad time for another left-footed defender to get hurt. Heck, sounds like Jones will have to be named to the bench to make up the numbers, unless LVG is ready to blood Varela.

Loublaze

ATLien
Reports that he has fallen out with LVG again for keeping his current injury secret before the Southampton game

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-facing-defensive-crisis-6494362

Fuming Louis van Gaal is facing a defensive crisis after what appears another fall out with Marcos Rojo.

But the Argentina defender insisted on Tuesday evening he will not leave Old Trafford, despite his fractured relationship with the manager.

The Manchester United defender was banished to the wilderness at the start of the season after failing to turn up for the final leg of the club’s summer tour, because he forgot to get his passport visa renewed.

Yet after forcing his way back into the starting line up following injury to Luke Shaw, the Argentine defender is now sidelined again... after failing to tell the United bench he was injured at Southampton last Sunday.

A clearly unimpressed Van Gaal revealed he now has a major defensive headache with Shaw out, Phil Jones not ready to start and Paddy McNair also injured at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.