6.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

That's my point! He says "black" but in reality Africans in Africa are as different physically as anywhere else in the world. The only people you could use the argument of genes with is African Americans.
Last time I looked at the GB Athletics team their fastest sprinters were black but not African American. Same with team Jamaica, and any country in the Carribean. Anyhew, back to the thread, I see Rashford more as a Jermaine Defoe type than a Fernando Torres superstar type. Kinda like Smalling is more the Wes Brown type than Rio, Vidic or Stam type; but still its early days....

RedTiger

Half mast
Last time I looked at the GB Athletics team their fastest sprinters were black but not African American. Same with team Jamaica, and any country in the Carribean. Anyhew, back to the thread, I see Rashford more as a Jermaine Defoe type than a Fernando Torres superstar type. Kinda like Smalling is more the Wes Brown type than Rio, Vidic or Stam type; but still its early days....
By African American I'm referring to the descendents of former slaves of which most people from the Caribbean are a part of.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Seriously?

For 18, the lads has shown a lot to his game. His hold up play, link up, movement (when to drop, when to run in behind or make a decoy run) and intelligence around the box is of a player way beyond his years, in my opinion.

I also fail to see how his goals have been lucky. Midtjylland he scored two very good goals, being in the right place at the right time. That's something that can't be taught, and something we missed in the first leg.

Against Arsenal it was the same. Being in the right place at the right time. Two very well taken goals.

Against City, yes, Demechilis could have defended a lot better for his goal, but the quickness of thought and finish when he was one on one with Hart was impressive.
That's all good, but I'm looking a bit forward into the future. Marcus need to show more than just that to be in the plans. A top club will ask for qualities above average. If you look at Welbeck he's competent enough to play at a HIGH level - but it wasn't good enough for us. Just draw your eyes to a club like Athletico and watch names like Torres, Falcao(back then), Forlán (when he came good), Aguero, Griezman, Villa, Mandzukic, Diego Costa, Vieri. Do you see any pattern in the philosophy?

Roboc7

LVG will probably dump him from the side now, he is as quick to disgard the youngsters as he is to play them.

Sylar

I have no issue with him drifting out wide cos you see strikers do that which drags away a defender to leave space for a midfielder / second striker / winger to move into.

Rooney will be forced back soon and will take his place unfortunately.

El Zoido

We can't create chances for our strikers so there's no point in even playing him. You can't rely on Martial to skin three players to stand a chance of scoring a goal, it's lunacy. It makes you wonder what we actually do in training.

edcunited1878

It wasn't until TFM went off and was replaced with Darmian did United go completely off the rails.

Rashford didn't do well and Young did equal to Rashford, but that wasn't too difficult to do.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Surely the fact that we fell apart after he went off will be in his favour?
Rashford wasn't getting much out of the game in honesty. Substituting him was an acceptable move, but the rest shall not be spoken about.

Perrick Dubois

I have no issue with him drifting out wide cos you see strikers do that which drags away a defender to leave space for a midfielder / second striker / winger to move into.

Rooney will be forced back soon and will take his place unfortunately.
Most do not, however, you can see that this positional nuance is not in our game plan. Whenever the strikers have done it this season it appears nobody moves to compensate. Van Gaal through Rooney has revealed he does not want the striker to move from the top position.

I'd much prefer we allow some fluidity for players to drop and drift wide to receive the ball and open up the play.

Still, I will continue to say. The attacking woes are all system based and it doesn't matter who is playing there and Rashford quite clearly isn't ready yet.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looked the rookie he is today. Which is fair enough.

Hopefully Mourinho keeps him in and around the squad though.

Sylar

Spurs had nobody to occupy their CBs or to worry about in terms of defending except Martial (who was out wide). Rashford didnt have his best game (and tbh, I think he needs a rest) but it was such a strange substitution to make.

Or the sub wasnt that strange, more so not changing it around.

Mike09

I thought he played poor today but subbed him off for a winger during half time was a really stupid idea

clarkydaz

so LVG smeared him against the wall at half time for not running in behind enough. Might be him done now for the season

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Spurs had nobody to occupy their CBs or to worry about in terms of defending except Martial (who was out wide). Rashford didnt have his best game (and tbh, I think he needs a rest) but it was such a strange substitution to make.

Or the sub wasnt that strange, more so not changing it around.
Have to disagree, the reason Rashford was ineffective is that he had ZERO service or support. What exactly changed when we put Young up top, NOTHING. The actual cause of the problems were in midfield.

Sylar

Have to disagree, the reason Rashford was ineffective is that he had ZERO service or support. What exactly changed when we put Young up top, NOTHING. The actual cause of the problems were in midfield.
By not strange, I meant, it may have worked if we then swapped it around, put Martial up top and put Young as Left Wing (which would have made it less strange). Putting Young up top was ridiculous cos he wasnt even up top :lol:

Cassidy

By not strange, I meant, it may have worked if we then swapped it around, put Martial up top and put Young as Left Wing (which would have made it less strange). Putting Young up top was ridiculous cos he wasnt even up top :lol:
Fair point, but to me even that wouldn't have worked. The sub should have been Carrick off Herrera on, Mata in the middle Lingard out wide.

EDIT: The Young thing was almost as bad as Nick Powell

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Needs rest, there's too much expectations from him at the moment, and after that brilliant start to United career it's easily to forget he's just a kid.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm not sure why he was (according to papers) laying into the poor lad in the dressing room. He wasn't hugely involved but it didn't look like United set up to attack. He did pretty much the same as any striker in the world would do in the same circumstance. When your creative options are a right wing back Mata, and and triple marked Martial it's going to be difficult to get a look in at goal.
I hope he starts on Wednesday and isn't dropped for stupid reasons.
Wouldn't shock me if Young is up front again to be honest.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm not sure why he was (according to papers) laying into the poor lad in the dressing room. He wasn't hugely involved but it didn't look like United set up to attack. He did pretty much the same as any striker in the world would do in the same circumstance. When your creative options are a right wing back Mata, and and triple marked Martial it's going to be difficult to get a look in at goal.
I hope he starts on Wednesday and isn't dropped for stupid reasons.
Wouldn't shock me if Young is up front again to be honest.
I expect that Marcus will be frozen out for the rest of the season now - the Adnan treatment. Rooney back anyway

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I expect that Marcus will be frozen out for the rest of the season now - the Adnan treatment. Rooney back anyway
Like poor McNair, LVG man managments skills are almost none excistent.
Didn't most people say this when he got taken off last time? He'll still get plenty of game time in the next 3 games.

I have no problem with a manager highlighting the shortcomings of a player who want to improve. Should he say he did a good job so as to not hurt his feelings? He should take note and get on with it.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Didn't most people say this when he got taken off last time? He'll still get plenty of game time in the next 3 games.

I have no problem with a manager highlighting the shortcomings of a player who want to improve. Should he say he did a good job so as to not hurt his feelings? He should take note and get on with it.
I understand that and I am sure Rashford will feature plenty it's just after the way it seems with LVG at times, like he doesn't have much leeway when it comes to mistakes.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably, a lot of players have one bad match and they're out. Especially the younger ones.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yes, fair enough, but surely he should have told him at half time, outlined what he wanted him to do differently and then give him a chance to do that. If, after 60 mins he was still not doing it, then sub him

Cassidy

Yes, fair enough, but surely he should have told him at half time, outlined what he wanted him to do differently and then give him a chance to do that. If, after 60 mins he was still not doing it, then sub him
He could also get his fat lazy arse off his seat during the game and tell him to run in behind as well

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I understand that and I am sure Rashford will feature plenty it's just after the way it seems with LVG at times, like he doesn't have much leeway when it comes to mistakes.
I do see your point, but it's not a bad attitude to have IMO. I see the argument though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, true. That is a little rash, LVG gets a little trigger happy on the subs in big games. I do see the reasoning behind the sub though. If someone doesn't do what they're told for 45 minutes, after planning all week for it, probably likely that they won't change if you tell them at half time.

Stacks

What he is wondering is "what happened to a simple half term hairdryer, followed by the player getting 15-20 or so minutes to redeem himself?" It seems you have 1 strike and you are hauled off which is incredible pressure on the players. No wonder they are shite scared to try stuff. In more ways than I can count, LVG is the polar opposite to Ferguson which is a problem. From "go out and excite me" to "make mistakes and you are off at half time, relegated to under 21's and sold like Di Maria."

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What he is wondering is "what happened to a simple half term hairdryer, followed by the player getting 15-20 or so minutes to redeem himself?" It seems you have 1 strike and you are hauled off which is incredible pressure on the players. No wonder they are shite scared to try stuff. In more ways than I can count, LVG is the polar opposite to Ferguson which is a problem. From "go out and excite me" to "make mistakes and you are off at half time, relegated to under 21's and sold like Di Maria."
I do see the point, but I still argue it probably would make little difference with this lot. At least Ashley Young showed he's willing to follow orders.

Edit: Kind of made that not about Rashford. My point being, I don't think he was going do what he was originally told to do, just because he got shouted at, at half time. He'll get another chance with the games coming thick and fast and can take it then. When you've got a sub that you trust (Young has been actually a rare consistent performer when not injured and professional), you should use him.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Fergie 9/10 knew when to put his arm round a player or when to give him the hairdryer where as LVG looks to have 1 default option.

clarkydaz

He could also get his fat lazy arse off his seat during the game and tell him to run in behind as well
this is a great point, he actually chooses to do nothing when can see what's needed. Then uses halftime to tell them what they did wrong, feckwit

Status
Not open for further replies.