6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeInTheSky

Did anyone else watch the whole game? So many great moments from him. The left-footed shot he smashed into the keeper would have been a different class goal. The way he took a dropping ball under control with the outside of his foot before immediately rinsing his marker was sublime. He even pulled off an elastico!
What impressed me even more was his decision making. It seems to be always the right pass, the right anticipation, the right dribble, the right shot. His instincts are something you can't train into someone.

Handré1990

What impressed me even more was his decision making. It seems to be always the right pass, the right anticipation, the right dribble, the right shot. His instincts are something you can't train into someone.
I agree with both of you, I'm totally smitten with him! I watched the game just to watch him do his thing, and I'm Norwegian! I'd also like to add that he's damn unpredictable for defenders. He seems just as comfortable playing fast one touch passes as he does when turning and dribbling past defenders, leaving them check mate, as it were.

I remember us struggling to break through Everton's defence last year when Martial won it at the end. Martial was trying to play one-two's the whole game, but it only really came off when he found Marcus, and he got a good pass right back while in full sprint. Granted, Herrera was a bit lucky too get it through, but the defenders panicked and made the first real mistake of the game (if I remember correctly). He has so much in his locker, it beggars belief to think he's still only 18.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Going to the games does not make your opinion more valid while stats showed how many goals Mata has been making for the last 3 years. There is a reason why Jose starts the season with him even though almost everyone was sure that mata will be out just like BFS back in the days.

I do have some frustration with the right wing not having much pace or too narrow but we have 2 slow strikers in the middle which Jose won't drop for awhile.

No one knows if Zlatan is decent at playing as no 10 or coming deep in jose system especially jose likes his no 10 or whatever that role to go up and down a lot which he does not do much or should do at his age.
The point I was making is I prefer to base my opinion on what I see not the stats I read (this doesn't make my opinion right). I'm not having a go at you either as you are welcome to base your opinion on anything you like. But for me stats can be very misleading.

The United

Okay, goals win games, so far we agree. So your solution is to bench Zlatan, who scored an obscene amount of goals last season, in fact the most productive season in his career.

Your point being that Rashford is a great goalscorer, and that's his greatest asset, when in fact he's so much more. His appetite for taking on defenders from every position in the final third, his intelligent runs and directness are so, so beneficial for all the other attackers, it was clear as day when he came on vs Hull, and he completely changed the dynamic of the game. Add to that his brilliant ability to pick out his team mates in tight areas in and around the box (has he ever missed a backheel pass when playing for us at senior level?), and you should start to get a picture of a player that can be influential in all three forward positions. You know, without taking out the player who is by far our best goal scorer (Zlatan).

I would argue that Zlatan would benefit Marcus more than Rooney, did you per chance see when Zlatan put Rooney through on goal with a 30 meter pass with his backheel? He draws CBs towards him, and that would be a major advantage for Marcus, wherever he plays across the front three. While Rooney has more of a tendency to drop deeper and deeper, leaving players isolated.

Marcus can easily play right or left wing/forward and contribute with goals, assists and penetration from out wide. I wouldn't want him behind Zlatan in the middle, because his speed would not be utilised to the fullest there.
what?! I never said bench Zlatan right now.

I said the best way for rash to develop is to give him more game time so give him the last 20 - 30 min of the games which Zlatan starts. If he seems to outperform Zlatan and/or Zlatan's form drops, I would not mind rash taking over him. Because we are building a team with rash in the near future, not to please some dude who is here for a short term.

Handré1990

what?! I never said bench Zlatan right now.

I said the best way for rash to develop is to give him more game time so give him the last 20 - 30 min of the games which Zlatan starts. If he seems to outperform Zlatan and/or Zlatan's form drops, I would not mind rash taking over him. Because we are building a team with rash in the near future, not to please some dude who is here for a short term.
Oh, okay, my bad! I just found it weird that you singled out Zlatan, knowing his working relationship with Mourinho and the fact that he has already shown he can score a goal with only one clear chance (Leicester, right at the end if I'm not mistaken). Zlatan has also played every minute so far and not looked like he tired much. In the same discussion you clearly favour Rooney, so that might be why I got confused.

I do agree with your general point though, that Marcus should get as much game time as possible, and it's not just to do with his development, I believe he's already good enough to contribute on a consistent basis so will benefit the team.

I don't get the obsession with playing him in one position only though, he's shown more than enough all over the pitch to get my confidence.

Edit: Just saw this gem! :lol:

Also, just seen that that was his first penalty as a professional...

Clearly he's not really English.

The United

Oh, okay, my bad! I just found it weird that you singled out Zlatan, knowing his working relationship with Mourinho and the fact that he has already shown he can score a goal with only one clear chance (Leicester, right at the end if I'm not mistaken). Zlatan has also played every minute so far and not looked like he tired much. In the same discussion you clearly favour Rooney, so that might be why I got confused.

I do agree with your general point though, that Marcus should get as much game time as possible, and it's not just to do with his development, I believe he's already good enough to contribute on a consistent basis so will benefit the team.

I don't get the obsession with playing him in one position only though, he's shown more than enough all over the pitch to get my confidence.

Edit: Just saw this gem! :lol:
It is not the obsession with playing him in one position though. He will be playing and learning along side with Zlatan and Rooney so he won't be playing as a true no 9 for now and will learn a lot that way. It is rare to get a good skillful forward player with goal scoring instinct let alone coming out of own academy. So naturally, you would want to hone it as much as you can by letting him play near the goal.

People used to slate fergie for playing players out of positions or even LVG then when they want their favourite players to play in the same team regardless of if it suits or upsets balance, they like to see them play out of their natural positions.

I just find it funny.

GledTheRed

If you would have told me me 10 months ago we would have a more exciting young striker on our books than Martial i would have reached for the straight jacket.

I rate Rashford that highly, and i think Martial is amazing also.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
It was a proper penalty. Hate it when professional footballers buckle and go for a save-able tap.

Handré1990

It is not the obsession with playing him in one position though. He will be playing and learning along side with Zlatan and Rooney so he won't be playing as a true no 9 for now and will learn a lot that way. It is rare to get a good skillful forward player with goal scoring instinct let alone coming out of own academy. So naturally, you would want to hone it as much as you can by letting him play near the goal.

People used to slate fergie for playing players out of positions or even LVG then when they want their favourite players to play in the same team regardless of if it suits or upsets balance, they like to see them play out of their natural positions.

I just find it funny.
Well, I'm glad I could be of service to your amusement, but non of that was really relevant to my post. Just your preference for Rooney and calling Zlatan a shiney new toy, and speaking about his hypothetical drop in form after the start he's had was a bit weird to me.

Anyway, back on topic. Marcus for president!

The United

Well, I'm glad I could be of service to your amusement, but non of that was really relevant to my post. Just your preference for Rooney and calling Zlatan a shiney new toy, and speaking about his hypothetical drop in form after the start he's had was a bit weird to me.

Anyway, back on topic. Marcus for president!
I am talking about it in general. Not to you directly.

Also I would prefer rooney for the role he is playing right now over Rashford of course. I don't think it is even up for debate.

Handré1990

I am talking about it in general. Not to you directly.

Also I would prefer rooney for the role he is playing right now over Rashford of course. I don't think it is even up for debate.
Oh, you won't get any arguments from me on that. I said as much a few posts back (his pace would be kind of wasted). Rooney deserves to start as of now I think, but if he get's close to last autumn's form I hope he get's dropped like a hot plate.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It was a proper penalty. Hate it when professional footballers buckle and go for a save-able tap.
Actually though the pen was a bit shit. Like, the keeper guessed randomly instead of reading him so he scored, but he basically walked up to the ball and had a very straight run up. That always leads to going opposite of your favourite foot. You just wont see a straight run up pen go in the same side as a players preferred foot because its an awkward angle. Wasnt exactly in the side netting/top or bottom corner, but pretty high and to the side but if the keeper dived that way it wouldve been a saveable shot. Anyways what I'm getting at is those runs ups are shit and he should change it.

Dante

Average bang
The Caf underrates him because he has pace. If he were slow and weak, we'd all think a lot more of his potential.

The fact is... he has oodles of quality on the ball. The kid is amazing. He'll get to the absolute top. Similar to Torres but with a higher ceiling.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Actually though the pen was a bit shit. Like, the keeper guessed randomly instead of reading him so he scored, but he basically walked up to the ball and had a very straight run up. That always leads to going opposite of your favourite foot. You just wont see a straight run up pen go in the same side as a players preferred foot because its an awkward angle. Wasnt exactly in the side netting/top or bottom corner, but pretty high and to the side but if the keeper dived that way it wouldve been a saveable shot. Anyways what I'm getting at is those runs ups are shit and he should change it.
On the second and third viewings of the pen my post looks like nonsense. Didn't realise his second even had a deflection too.

m1y2

I am amazed by the kid how quickly he became such a great option and he never dropped in form... I'd love to believe he's an exceptional talent but he needs to play a lot to prove himself.. I just wonder how high ceiling Marcus has, high enough to start games for us and develop even further? I hope so... Still he's a bit of a mystery for me... pacy fecker with a bit of inconsistent dribbling skills, we saw it in the past but then the positioning comes to debate which is great in his case and, decent finishing and link up play and actual use of brain on the pitch ie decision making etc, I'd like not to get overexcited but it's hard

reelworld

As I said before, hopefully Mourinho sees how Ferguson managed Ronaldo during his first 2 seasons on the club. If Ferguson can rotate Ronaldo with David Bellion then I'd say Mourinho got the easier job with the Miki and Zlatan.

The United

As I said before, hopefully Mourinho sees how Ferguson managed Ronaldo during his first 2 seasons on the club. If Ferguson can rotate Ronaldo with David Bellion then I'd say Mourinho got the easier job with the Miki and Zlatan.
SAF actually played Ronaldo a lot in his first 2 seasons. In some games, he came on as subs but he started most games.

He was not rotating with Bellion as far as I remember.

Handré1990

SAF actually played Ronaldo a lot in his first 2 seasons. In some games, he came on as subs but he started most games.

You are right, of course. I just read he was rotating with Bellion and thought to myself that never happend. A quick glance at their respective ManUtd careers shows that while Bellion got 24 competitive games in all of his time here, Ronaldo made it to 40 (!) in his debut season, featuring in 29 league games alone. Ronaldo wasn't slowly bedded in, he took the PL by storm in his very first game against Bolton and got an assist (I think).

I believe it is a very different situation though, as Rashford is a goal scorer, something Ronaldo developed later (scoring only six in his debut season). Much more serious to feck up if you're a striker missing chances, than creating for others. I think it only natural that Mourinho is managing his playtime and expectations, since Marcus hasn't really had a bad period yet. Give hime as much chance as possible to continue on this feelgood journey towards permanent first XI status.

Edit: Nicky Butt has given a long interview with Henry Winter at The Times, where he is, once again, raving about Marcus. Anyone with a subscription feel like sharing? :angel:

Last edited:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Ibra often drops deep into the AM space when he plays, he loves linking play up. Rashford on the last man would work perfectly fine. The only difference would be can Ibra do the defensive work, but I am certain he could.

Anyway we all know it'll be Rooney/Ibra starting.
their is difference between dropping deep, and playing deep, having a number 10 who is as static as Ibra would be very limiting to our play.

but your right on the second point, when fit Rooney and Ibra are guaranteed to start in the league any any big game no matter how well Rashford plays, so Rashfords only chance to get on the pitch regularly is as a winger.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
he didnt roate him with Bellion, in the league it was normally Fletcher who played out on the wing when Ronaldo wasn't playing.

What Fergie did with ronaldo was pretty much the same as he did with De Gea, when his form dropped for a couple of games he'd take him out give him a break then put him back in a few games later, if i remember correctly i think he did the same with Giggs in his first few seasons.....

reelworld

he didnt roate him with Bellion, in the league it was normally Fletcher who played out on the wing when Ronaldo wasn't playing.

What Fergie did with ronaldo was pretty much the same as he did with De Gea, when his form dropped for a couple of games he'd take him out give him a break then put him back in a few games later, if i remember correctly i think he did the same with Giggs in his first few seasons.....
Fergie rarely played him in midweek games, if ever. He mostly played on weekends as far as I remember, which explains his high count in league games. And yes I think Fletcher got games on the right when Ronaldo wasn't playing. But he didn't really take the league by storm. He had some frustrating games and some great ones. He only really took off in the 2006/2007 season.
Bellion sticks in my mind because he's the one who played on Rooney's debut instead of Ronaldo

The United

Fergie rarely played him in midweek games, if ever. He mostly played on weekends as far as I remember, which explains his high count in league games. And yes I think Fletcher got games on the right when Ronaldo wasn't playing. But he didn't really take the league by storm. He had some frustrating games and some great ones. He only really took off in the 2006/2007 season.
Bellion sticks in my mind because he's the one who played on Rooney's debut instead of Ronaldo
40 and 50 apps in first 2 seasons is a lot for someone who SAF tried to protect. Rooney played shit load too when he was young.

It just depends on if a youth player has good enough mentality and physical to play many games. Both rooney and ronaldo were up for it at 18-19. But anyway I would not throw Rash right away as starter mostly for this season but if he is going to be good enough for us in long term, we should see and give more starts from next season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
40 and 50 apps in first 2 seasons is a lot for someone who SAF tried to protect. Rooney played shit load too when he was young.

It just depends on if a youth player has good enough mentality and physical to play many games. Both rooney and ronaldo were up for it at 18-19. But anyway I would not throw Rash right away as starter mostly for this season but if he is going to be good enough for us in long term, we should see and give more starts from next season.
Considering he's always been completely impervious to injury that 40 game season would be a good example of a young player used relatively sparingly. Could have played all our league games but only two of our CL/FA/Carling Cup games that season.

Keenst

Edit: Nicky Butt has given a long interview with Henry Winter at The Times, where he is, once again, raving about Marcus. Anyone with a subscription feel like sharing? :angel:
The odd thing about Rashford is that, while everyone is rightly raving about him now, why did we never hear anything about him before he got his opportunity due to all those injuries etc in the first team?

Usually a genuine world class talent would be well known even while in our reserves, like Pogba or Morrison. But nobody was talking about Rashford at the time as far as I know. I'm not saying he's not a world class talent, it's just surprising how he seems to have developed into such a talent in such a rapid way.

The United

Considering he's always been completely impervious to injury that 40 game season would be a good example of a young player used relatively sparingly. Could have played all our league games but only two of our CL/FA/Carling Cup games that season.
Good point.

Just hope rash gets some game time which he will. Like butts said the manager can't ignore at all if he develops and plays like how he has been.

The United

The odd thing about Rashford is that, while everyone is rightly raving about him now, why did we never hear anything about him before he got his opportunity due to all those injuries etc in the first team?

Usually a genuine world class talent would be well known even while in our reserves, like Pogba or Morrison. But nobody was talking about Rashford at the time as far as I know. I'm not saying he's not a world class talent, it's just surprising how he seems to have developed into such a talent in such a rapid way.
Because the likes of keane, willson etc were older and was regarded as more ready, I think. Which makes sense.

But, it does not matter. Just hope he will develop to the level we expect him to.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When you hear Butt's words on Januzaj, it really makes you appreciate the fact this lad has a 34 year old Zlatan mentoring him. Even at 34 he still has absolute focus on being the best he can possibly be. For all Zlatan's image of Ego and self confidence, you can guarantee he will be talking to Rashford about the importance of staying grounded and putting all his energy into playing football.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

He was rated at the club but Keane had great potential before the first injury and even the most recent. Wilson needs to bulk up to enforce his way into games so Rashford had the luck you need. He's performed better at a higher level. We've not just seen that for United, but also for England. When all the England players were swanning around, Rashford came on like he KNEW England needed something. To be fair other United youth players performed well too.

Rashford has reminded people of a valuable lesson. You NEVER really know when a kid is ready, until you give them an opportunity. I and others have said it for years. We have so much potential and character in the youth teams - it could be argued that we maybe should have looked a bit harder to give some of them a stage. You just never know with our kids.

AndyJ1985

I don't give a toss how young he is, if you're good enough you're old enough. This lad adds a spark to our attack; he adds pace that we desperately lack in our team. He really should be in the team.

Tiber

Should be one of the first names on the teamsheet every single week.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Straight away made a difference from the wing, ridiculous when people said he couldn't play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.