Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's better off starting games on the wing than not starting at all.

He's not even that bad as a winger either.

He's just an 18 year old kid that will be inconsistent wherever he plays.
He's not really that good there either. He fails at the most important thing a winger should be able to provide which are delivery in the box whether via crossing or simple passes.

He often more than not get dispossessed around the edge of the box while trying to beat 3 men instead of release the ball into space in the box or simply putting in a casual pass to someone in a favorable position. He also needs to start lifting his head to see that there are people available in the box to be supplied to.

We often criticize Valencia for failing to deliver crosses into the box either by dithering around and taking extra touches or just hitting the first defender for a bloke. What Rashord does from that left wing is sometimes equivalent to the wastefulness Valencia does when he fails to deliver(especially when he's been put through a favorable position to deliver a dangerous cross). If he mature his game, he might do it on the wing. So far he's got pace and confidence but his decision making around the edge of the box is aggravating at times.

He's only a striker so far. As a winger he leaves a lot to be desired.

SteveW

Just rewatching some of his games this season, is it wrong that I don't think he is good enough. Look at this vs Leicester, every touch he loses the ball or hits a misplaced pass, the most over rated player by the fans

Yep, it's wrong. He's an 18 year old killing it for Manchester United in the premier league. How can you possibly think he's not good enough?

Scholesy

Yep, it's wrong. He's an 18 year old killing it for Manchester United in the premier league. How can you possibly think he's not good enough?
"killing it" is not true. He has scored goals, so there is a player in there, but his all round play is shocking most of the time, not a Manchester United standard. Just wait until the bubble bursts.

SteveW

"killing it" is not true. He has scored goals, so there is a player in there, but his all round play is shocking most of the time, not a Manchester United standard. Just wait until the bubble bursts.
Disagree. There's a long YouTube video from last season showing all facets of his game. His touch, vision and link up play was arguably the most impressive part. Add pace and finishing and you have a very good player. You seem to be dismissing him based on a couple of games playing out of position. Or maybe you're just being contrary because that's your thing isn't it.

3KDré

I would much rather he play striker or sub on every game. We lack impact subs, and that's exactly what he should be. I don't think it's time for him to start. Play with a front three of Ibra, Martial and Mkhi and when we are chasing that last goal sub Marcus on for a midfielder and go with 4-4-2.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I would much rather he play striker or sub on every game. We lack impact subs, and that's exactly what he should be. I don't think it's time for him to start. Play with a front three of Ibra, Martial and Mkhi and when we are chasing that last goal sub Marcus on for a midfielder and go with 4-4-2.
This would be the ideal line up. Miki just needs a bit of time to settle in properly and get over his injury completely. Hopefully once he gets it together and Martial completely rediscover his form, they would be our flank players.

Right now Rashford isn't quite the starter material in League game. He should be played as a striker or back up to our main wing players in Martial and Miki. Start him in cup games and give him the odd starts in league games but regularly playing him on the wing isn't cutting it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This would be the ideal line up. Miki just needs a bit of time to settle in properly and get over his injury completely. Hopefully once he gets it together and Martial completely rediscover his form, they would be our flank players.

Right now Rashford isn't quite the starter material in League game. He should be played as a striker or back up to our main wing players in Martial and Miki. Start him in cup games and give him the odd starts in league games but regularly playing him on the wing isn't cutting it.
Yeah. Especially with Miki, him still being out makes it seem so weird how he started against City. No surprise he was so ineffective in that half.
Rashford always makes an impact even when starting, but there are still loads of parts to his game that need tuning. Being a sub and starting now and then is ideal for him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think he has been quite poor the last three games for us. In my opinion, a significant drop in form. Nothing weird about it at his age.

I'm not sure why you are polarizing the debate using video of these few games as evidence. Guess you just love the attention..

criticalanalysis

He's not really that good there either. He fails at the most important thing a winger should be able to provide which are delivery in the box whether via crossing or simple passes.

He often more than not get dispossessed around the edge of the box while trying to beat 3 men instead of release the ball into space in the box or simply putting in a casual pass to someone in a favorable position. He also needs to start lifting his head to see that there are people available in the box to be supplied to.

We often criticize Valencia for failing to deliver crosses into the box either by dithering around and taking extra touches or just hitting the first defender for a bloke. What Rashord does from that left wing is sometimes equivalent to the wastefulness Valencia does when he fails to deliver(especially when he's been put through a favorable position to deliver a dangerous cross). If he mature his game, he might do it on the wing. So far he's got pace and confidence but his decision making around the edge of the box is aggravating at times.

Your criticisms are valid and I agree with them but the context is the kid (18 years old!) has less than 30 first team appearances with us. The fact we expect more from him and are disappointed with his inconsistency and decision making proves that he's worth all the frustration we will inevitably see when he plays. Hopefully Mourinho can mould him for the better because at the moment, it doesn't seem like he is under instructions to hold the reigns i.e letting players like Rashford take risks and play expansively.

MounchesterUtd

This used to be arguably the best, and certainly one of the better, player performance threads on the Caf until a certain poster decided to become active. It's fine to not rate the kid, it's definitely not irrational to say that you believe he won't reach that 'top top player' status in the future, but it's weird when you make it seem like Rashford is this media darling who gets by on reputation alone, blow his weaknesses way out of proportion and call someone who's only made less than 30 first team apps 'overrated'.

I guess that's the new United way. Actively wish for the academy to produce a potentially world class player, but tear apart said player if he doesn't put in 9/10 performances day in and out as a teenager.

MounchesterUtd

I agree with this though I'd add that, based on the admittedly limited sample size of games, he's looked like a vastly superior player on the right wing. You are right though, I think he's only a striker so far but there's some raw material on the (right) wing.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Decision making comes with age

He is unlikely to dispose Zlatan as C.F. anyway.Play him as striker and the only decision he will be making is which side of the bench he will be sitting on.

Henry and Van Persie are examples of two good strikers that plied their earlier years on the wing. Even Messi has been played as a wide forward too.
We play a system that actually allows Rashford to push forward into the centre when Zlatan has pulled back into the 10 position.
He's not a perfect winger but the tools are there to actually do well there and improve his overall game.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
This used to be arguably the best, and certainly one of the better, player performance threads on the Caf until a certain poster decided to become active. It's fine to not rate the kid, it's definitely not irrational to say that you believe he won't reach that 'top top player' status in the future, but it's weird when you make it seem like Rashford is this media darling who gets by on reputation alone, blow his weaknesses way out of proportion and call someone who's only made less than 30 first team apps 'overrated'.

I guess that's the new United way. Actively wish for the academy to produce a potentially world class player, but tear apart said player if he doesn't put in 9/10 performances day in and out as a teenager.
Every player has someone waiting on here to tear them down.

Even those doing so well for us.Some people are just obsessed with playing devil's advocate on the net.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Putting him on the wing gets him into the team for us, which is important.
But i'd probably be more inclined to make sure he starts all the Europa and league games as a striker going forward.

podurban2

He's had plenty rest. Some people seem to think young players can only handle a few games a season. It's weird.
Didn't Fergie think so? I have personally no idea, but an eighteen year old shouldn't play full ninety minutes a season. I have read here that Pep thought the same about Messi.

SteveW

Didn't Fergie think so? I have personally no idea, but an eighteen year old shouldn't play full ninety minutes a season. I have read here that Pep thought the same about Messi.
What? An eighteen year old shouldn't play 90 mins? What are you on about? He's only played 3-4 games anyway

podurban2

What? An eighteen year old shouldn't play 90 mins? What are you on about? He's only played 3-4 games anyway
Saying an eighteen year old shouldn't play 90 minutes a game for a full season is not ludicrous. He is going to play a lot of games in the near future, and my belief - wrong as it may be - is that young players should be handled carefully. Couldn't care less if he plays for England in the WC qualifier, rather he'd be fresh for Anfield.

paulscholes18

Need to look after younger players, look at (fat) Ronaldo, Owen, Rooney & Shevchenko they played a ton of games from the age of 18 and were finished by the age of 30, so use Rashford correctly and hopefully he will be going strong in his 30s

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Need to look after younger players, look at (fat) Ronaldo, Owen, Rooney & Shevchenko they played a ton of games from the age of 18 and were finished by the age of 30, so use Rashford correctly and hopefully he will be going strong in his 30s
Why? Fast strikers peak at 26/27 anyway. He'll lose a yard or two of pace by the time he's 30 anyway, irrespective of minutes under his belt during youth.

SteveW

Saying an eighteen year old shouldn't play 90 minutes a game for a full season is not ludicrous. He is going to play a lot of games in the near future, and my belief - wrong as it may be - is that young players should be handled carefully. Couldn't care less if he plays for England in the WC qualifier, rather he'd be fresh for Anfield.
You said he shouldn't play 90 minutes full stop.

I don't get the idea that he needs a rest He hasn't played very much. He started the season on the bench.

podurban2

You said he shouldn't play 90 minutes full stop.

I don't get the idea that he needs a rest He hasn't played very much. He started the season on the bench.
"Full 90 a season." Suggesting a full season, of course he can play an entire game. As he already has on multiple occasions.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
You could argue that some of those players were the cause of their own detriment, Ronaldo 9 and Rooney didn't really take care of themselves properly. Owen, however, was ruined by injuries and personal decisions such as choosing to be a bench warmer for Madrid.

Zlatan on the other hand, has been playing first team football since 1999 and has had a very consistent career, known also to be a very good trainer. He's 35 years old but still the top guy of our team. If Rashford wants a career like that, he'll have to overcome the obstacles. He'll have to train hard for maintenance for the next decade, he'll have to start adapting his game when he loses some of his physical attributes. Playing him less doesn't benefit anyone, it comes down to the mentality and ability of the player.

podurban2

You could argue that some of those players were the cause of their own detriment, Ronaldo 9 and Rooney didn't really take care of themselves properly. Owen, however, was ruined by injuries and personal decisions such as choosing to be a bench warmer for Madrid.

Zlatan on the other hand, has been playing first team football since 1999 and has had a very consistent career, known also to be a very good trainer. He's 35 years old but still the top guy of our team.
Zlatan is an anomaly in every possible way though.

Wasn't SAF pretty careful with Giggs as well as CR7?

m1y2

I dont care if hes good from 18 to 30 playing every game or from now to 33 and playing slightly more games but being rest next few years... and some players are not burnt necesarilly like Owen or Rooney, They were mainly by injuries which come definitely with more playing time but Rahers look very athletic, so he could maintain fitness until later.

PLay him when he's good enough , hes great inspiration for young kids and breath of fresh air in the squad... He should get a run up front in cup games though, he's a striker too inconsistent from the wing but he will learn a lot out wide too.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Needs to calm down a bit, feel like he's trying a bit too hard but good defensive work from him.
Yeh he's tracking back and closing well but looks like he's panicking when on the ball. He's a striker so you can't really blame him but our wide options are so limited.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I know many england fans and wannabe academy fans will not agree but he has been shit. He runs down blind alleys and loses possession too much. He needs a spell out of the team to help him refocus, just like SAF gave Rooney and ronaldo in their younger ages. I dont doubt his talent but him being homegrown does not make him immune to criticism. Hope he sits out the rest of the week on the bench and effect the games from their. I know ibra wasnt great, but that does not mean Rashford was any better.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He is a kick and rush player when played on the wings. Dribbling is antonio valencia level.

Status
Not open for further replies.