6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracture90

Has his finishing really deteriorated though? He was always bound to endure a dry spell, teams key in on him now that they know what he can do, and his role as a winger is different than that of his role as a CF so there' a mindset adjustment there. He was just rusty, if we give him a run at CF he'll be back to banging them in regularly.
I believe it did tbh. Last season he looked far more composed (which is amazing all by itself considering he was 18) comparing to this season where he's struggling to convert some very good chances.

Could be that he is just rusty as you say.

superdry

touched by a genius
Young lad with talent and potential, but easily knocked off the ball, doesn't challenge for anything in the air and clumsy at times. I'm sure he'll get stronger and learn his craft as a central attacker, for now I would just use him as a sub to run at tired defences.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looked so poor last night. I know he scored two goals the other day but his general play was not great then either.

I think it is just a run of form, young players can go through phases where everything just turns to shit and nothing seems to be working,, only worry is that the technical side of the game should hold up even if things are not coming off, i.e. when Martial goes through a bad run of form, his technique still holds firm.. its just his decision making/effort level which drops. Rashford barely looked championship level with his technique recently so he needs to work on that.

People either relish in seeing him flop, or are adamant he's going to make it and replace Zlatan.. no middle ground with him at the moment. If you took his electric pace out of the equation, does the rest of his game stand firm.. is it the game you'd expect of a number 9 playing for one of the world's best clubs? I don't think anyone can say with true conviction the answer is definitely yes.

He has to keep working on his game, we should be patient with him.. years to go before he reaches his peak. Writing off a guy so young seems stupid. He might even have to go on loan in a few years if we continue to strengthen and he doesn't quite develop the way we want quickly enough.. but one thing is for sure, at the age of 24/25.. he will be a very different and more accomplished all round player than he is now.

ElQuesoGrande

Looked so poor last night. I know he scored two goals the other day but his general play was not great then either.

I think it is just a run of form, young players can go through phases where everything just turns to shit and nothing seems to be working,, only worry is that the technical side of the game should hold up even if things are not coming off, i.e. when Martial goes through a bad run of form, his technique still holds firm.. its just his decision making/effort level which drops. Rashford barely looked championship level with his technique recently so he needs to work on that.

People either relish in seeing him flop, or are adamant he's going to make it and replace Zlatan.. no middle ground with him at the moment. If you took his electric pace out of the equation, does the rest of his game stand firm.. is it the game you'd expect of a number 9 playing for one of the world's best clubs? I don't think anyone can say with true conviction the answer is definitely yes.

He has to keep working on his game, we should be patient with him.. years to go before he reaches his peak. Writing off a guy so young seems stupid. He might even have to go on loan in a few years if we continue to strengthen and he doesn't quite develop the way we want quickly enough.. but one thing is for sure, at the age of 24/25.. he will be a very different and more accomplished all round player than he is now.
All good comments here. The one thing you can say though is Rashford's head never goes down. In the Reading game after some horrific misses and some horrific play in general after an occasional grimace of frustration he was hungry for the ball again. Whether that's just youthful exuberance or not I don't know, but it's a better attitude than a lot of players have.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I expected Rashford to be inconsistent as did every other sane person. Which is why it totally bemused me when some posters didn't want another striker :lol:

He's 19, he's going to be up and down for a couple more seasons.

I expected Rashford to be inconsistent as did every other sane person. Which is why it totally bemused me when some posters didn't want another striker :lol:

He's 19, he's going to be up and down for a couple more seasons.
Aye, all you can do is laugh really. The amount of posters going mental at the Zlatan signing because of what it would mean to Rashford was unreal :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I don't think that's true. Even at the shitty level I played when I'm confident and playing well I don't need to think about controlling a pass but when I'm really struggling then my first touch is one of the first things to go. We see the same with Rooney all the time. Whenever he's playing well his touch is fantastic but when he's playing badly he looks like he can't trap an anvil.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think that's true. Even at the shitty level I played when I'm confident and playing well I don't need to think about controlling a pass but when I'm really struggling then my first touch is one of the first things to go. We see the same with Rooney all the time. Whenever he's playing well his touch is fantastic but when he's playing badly he looks like he can't trap an anvil.
That is true, I share a similar issue when out of form (i.e. with bringing long range aerial balls down) but then again we have always said Rooney isn't the norm in the elite professional realm. How many top class players outside of Rooney, really lose their first touch to the extent he does (Suarez can sometimes be inconsistent with his touch I guess) and to be fair when Wayne was a kid, his first touch was on another level to a Rashford.. he had some brilliant first touches, where he'd spin into space even with someone up his arse. I personally think it is when the drinking and his physical side wasn't where it should be, his first touch and reactions began to suffer with it.

When he is fit, and I mean he looks physically sharp.. his first touch is usually pretty good. This season after the wedding debacle, when he has played with a point to prove, his touch has been okay. End of the day, for all the criticism Wayne gets, he is a very natural footballer.. you just know he's got a good footballing brain, he's had that since he was a kid. Rashford sometimes looks like a Walcott, all speed and no nous.. yet in other games, he looks like he has an astute understanding of the game.

As a number 9, you can't really afford to have on and off days with your first touch and certainly not if you want to play for United. Lukaku is a player who I can think of that has a terrible first touch, lacks consistency with it and it has held him back from being a top top tier striker.. hence why he is at Everton. Far too early to say that about Rashford, as he may be going through second season syndrome, maybe even an undetected growth spurt etc etc.. but in the long term, his first touch and technical ability in general can't be hit and miss. It needs to be reliable, so that even if he himself has a poor game from a goal-scoring perspective, he is still able to function as a focal point for the attack and bring others into play.

Once his physique fills out, he can use that to protect the ball better.

SteveW

I think his composure and decision making are also excellent. He's very good at picking the right pass out round the box. His understanding of the game for a kid is fantastic. He always seems to make the right runs. Composure and football intelligence are very hard qualities to teach. And his electric pace isn't gonna be taken away.

I think some inconsistency or lack of sharpness is inevitable since he's not playing every week and he's played a lot on the wing. A lot of it comes from consistently playing and getting on a wave length with team mates. He hasn't really had the chance to do that this season.

He's not the finished article. His aerial presence for example is non existent but I'd say he's well ahead of where you'd expect a 19 year old to be.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think his composure and decision making are also excellent. He's very good at picking the right pass out round the box. His understanding of the game for a kid is fantastic. He always seems to make the right runs. Composure and football intelligence are very hard qualities to teach. And his electric pace isn't gonna be taken away.

I think some inconsistency or lack of sharpness is inevitable since he's not playing every week and he's played a lot on the wing. A lot of it comes from consistently playing and getting on a wave length with team mates. He hasn't really had the chance to do that this season.

He's not the finished article. His aerial presence for example is non existent but I'd say he's well ahead of where you'd expect a 19 year old to be.
Exactly this. He looks like a player who could become a top striker irrespective of his pace tbh.

Dobbs

That is true, I share a similar issue when out of form (i.e. with bringing long range aerial balls down) but then again we have always said Rooney isn't the norm in the elite professional realm. How many top class players outside of Rooney, really lose their first touch to the extent he does (Suarez can sometimes be inconsistent with his touch I guess) and to be fair when Wayne was a kid, his first touch was on another level to a Rashford.. he had some brilliant first touches, where he'd spin into space even with someone up his arse. I personally think it is when the drinking and his physical side wasn't where it should be, his first touch and reactions began to suffer with it.

When he is fit, and I mean he looks physically sharp.. his first touch is usually pretty good. This season after the wedding debacle, when he has played with a point to prove, his touch has been okay. End of the day, for all the criticism Wayne gets, he is a very natural footballer.. you just know he's got a good footballing brain, he's had that since he was a kid. Rashford sometimes looks like a Walcott, all speed and no nous.. yet in other games, he looks like he has an astute understanding of the game.

As a number 9, you can't really afford to have on and off days with your first touch and certainly not if you want to play for United. Lukaku is a player who I can think of that has a terrible first touch, lacks consistency with it and it has held him back from being a top top tier striker.. hence why he is at Everton. Far too early to say that about Rashford, as he may be going through second season syndrome, maybe even an undetected growth spurt etc etc.. but in the long term, his first touch and technical ability in general can't be hit and miss. It needs to be reliable, so that even if he himself has a poor game from a goal-scoring perspective, he is still able to function as a focal point for the attack and bring others into play.

Once his physique fills out, he can use that to protect the ball better.
Agree. As long as he continues with the right attitude and shows flashes of top level ability that'll do me for now.

However on his first touch. It's not a confidence thing, it's something he does need to work on.

I've criticsed others for being anti English on this forum but first touch is something we seem to struggle with.

Scholesy

However on his first touch. It's not a confidence thing, it's something he does need to work on.
First touch can't be improved.

Rashford is a strange player. Looks amazing one game and average the next. I am not convinced he has a long term future here, maybe as a squad player but not as a starter/key player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Rashford is a strange player. Looks amazing one game and average the next. I am not convinced he has a long term future here, maybe as a squad player but not as a starter/key player.
What differences do you see between him and Delfouneso?

Dobbs

What you mean is that you can't change a first touch from terrible to great. That I agree with. Of course you can improve it by some margin though. Which I'm sure he will.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

That isn't true.
Also thats pretty harsh assessment for a 19 year old, bound to be inconsistent.

Redo91

Well that's just wrong.

So the first touch Ronaldo, for example, had at 18 never improved throughout his career? What makes a players first touch different to all other attributes? Can't a players finishing, passing, etc not improve over time?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I know Scholesy talks bollocks most of the time but to suggest first touch can't be improved is quite literally unarguable bollocks.

Simply by chucking the ball up in the air repeatedly and bringing it down or by passing the ball against a wall at various speeds and trapping it as it bounces back you can easily improve your first touch and that's basic kiddie stuff compared to professional football training.

Jesus fecking Christ.

Bojan11

I'm guessing he means that Rashford isn't suddenly going to get a first touch similar to Berbatov overnight. But it definitely can be improved.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm guessing he means that Rashford isn't suddenly going to get a first touch similar to Berbatov overnight. But it definitely can be improved.
No, he doesn't mean that, this is Scholesy, the poster who beleives a player can't improve technically after they turn 18.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Apology accepted, no problem it happens.

I really haven't commented that much on Zlatan's performances but i do live by "no one's above criticism and below praise".

I was maybe too harsh at times but that's mainly because i don't like his huge ego and attitude.
Fair enough, at least your man enough to admit it. Props for that.

Handré1990

Does this really need pointing out though. I mean it's so obvious. It's like saying water's wet.

Have Manchester United ever had a 19 year old line leading striker? Are there any other examples of the biggest clubs in the world relying on a 19 year old?

So I'm that context why should he be dominating a Premiership team. I can't think of any other teenagers currently bossing things like that.
I'd say yes, and no. I'm totally on the same page as you when it comes to the age and experience thing, I said as much in a post quoted one up from yours. However, there was a lot of posts, and still is a few, complaining about us signing Zlatan and now using him to much at the youngsters expense. The true travesty and unjustice towards Rashford would be to realy on him to bring home the proverbial bacon. He's being handled expertly imo. Mourinho has shown that even if he has a rough patch and gets sidelined for a bit, he will always get his chance if he works hard.

MounchesterUtd

Since Rojo was playing a blinder, we should've gone all gung-ho and replaced Carrick with Rashers instead of Rooney.

Sylar

Since Rojo was playing a blinder, we should've gone all gung-ho and replaced Carrick with Rashers instead of Rooney.
I think Carrick should have been for Mata.
Had no issue with Fellaini. Think the other sub however should have been Rashford instead of Rooney though. As seen in the WHU game, Rashford will provide us something more / different due to his pace.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Seems like we haven't seen him play in forever, even though he only missed out on the Liverpool game.

So happy to have a kid like him at the club.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Definitely Mata or Rashford. Liverpool's left back was there for the taking but Rooney needs to get his record despite being a bad player now.

Maxii

Paad
Should be starting more for us. We always look more dangerous with him on the pitch.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
One of rare positives today. Looks different player from the one from first few months when he was one dimensional, proving doubters who said he is one trick pony. Won the free kick too and helped us win lot of points lately, so he deserves lot of praise.

AR87

He's been our best player on the left of late. He's always making runs ahead of the ball, whereas Mkhi and especially Martial tend to check back towards it which slows us down. He deserves a start in that position over anybody else imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.