Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Jesus that’s a hell of a statement considering Harry Kane isn’t even a 40+ goal striker. rashford will be s 30 to 35 goal striker I reckon.
To be fair, Kane did actually get 41 last season.

Woziak

Crazy that some thought he was Championship standard not too long ago. What a talent.
It really is, anyone who saw him as a kid in the Youth team knew he had all the weapons to be a star, he's simply maturing and being given confidence by the Manager. I have stood by him from day one as others have on this forum, we have Marcus, Tony Martial and soon Mason Greenwood, we just need to be patient and give youth it's chance which this great club has always done throughout our history.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
This

The few times he's played out wide under Ole have been his worst by far, imagine if he was playing there full time? (the reading game springs to mind)

Amazing up front though, and can't see him losing his place to anyone at the moment.
I see that you're still sore over the Reading game when you felt he wasn't criticised enough. ;)

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Yeah, just read the posts under the Juve at home bookmark and the ones after yesterdays game. It's the same exact people giving two completely opposite opinions about the same player in a span of 4 months. :lol:
Yeah. It's good that people are willing to change their opinions after careful consideration or when presented with new evidence. It's the tendency to swing from extreme to extreme that I take issue with. I also believe that a portion of the excessive vitriol aimed at Rashford had roots in the fact that he was seen as Martial's rival under Mourinho (tbf it also goes the other way with some of the criticism aimed at Martial).

Betson

To think just a few months ago there was talk of him moving on somewhere else to get first time football and that Mourino was not too pushed about keeping him at the club.

We would probably have end up bidding 150M for him or some other crazy amount in a couple of years time.

He has been around so long it is very easily to forget how young he is and how he is not even near his peak years yet.

He is still learning and sure he will have dips in form again like all strikers do , he won't light up every game but his talent is undoubted and he has the potential to be a superstar.

ash_86

Right now I think he has surpassed Martial in the overall development. He looks like a more complete player than another great talent two years older than him .

Loublaze

ATLien
Right now I think he has surpassed Martial in the overall development. He looks like a more complete player than another great talent two years older than him .
More complete in what specific ways? Martial has shown improvement himself and is just coming off a purple patch of his own

haram

More complete in what specific ways? Martial has shown improvement himself and is just coming off a purple patch of his own
He is far ahead of Martial off the ball. On the ball Rashford is becoming even more dangerous with every game. Martial does not look that much different to what he was in his debut season. You cannot say the same about Rashford, even physically he has changed. Marcus is learning to use his explosive pace and strength better now as well. Rashford has also developed a belter of a shot with a unique style (I say unique, it probably is inspired by Ronaldo).

Mick321

Will be one of the very best in 3-4 years, I have no doubt about that. Fascinated to see what he does in the big games v Liverpool, PSG, City and co, he's got a habit of delivering on the big stage.

ash_86

Workrate, Shooting(caught up and succeeded martial who was way ahead of him), Off the ball movement and most importantly decision making. He's liking up with his team brilliantly. Remember the games against Lecister away where 3 people were ahead of him and he wouldn't pass? That's all seem to have changed for better. Right now he looks to be the first name on the sheet.

0le

Workrate, Shooting(caught up and succeeded martial who was way ahead of him), Off the ball movement and most importantly decision making. He's liking up with his team brilliantly. Remember the games against Lecister away where 3 people were ahead of him and he wouldn't pass? That's all seem to have changed for better. Right now he looks to be the first name on the sheet.
I think the only thing Rashford is significantly better from those attributes you mention is off the ball movement and work rate. Martial has better dribbling and technique and his finishing, over the last two years, has been much better. All things considered, they are both on par with their decision making. Its all completely irrelevant because we have both players in the team and can also play both of them in the first eleven.

Loublaze

ATLien
I totally agree. Rashford seems to be a great student of the game. It will take him to the top

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think we should really care too much which one is better since they both are excellent talents, but Rashford definitely looks like someone who is working more on himself than Martial. Actually, he looks determined more than majority of young players around which is good to see.

ash_86

I think the only thing Rashford is significantly better from those attributes you mention is off the ball movement and work rate. Martial has better dribbling and technique and his finishing, over the last two years, has been much better. All things considered, they are both on par with their decision making. Its all completely irrelevant because we have both players in the team and can also play both of them in the first eleven.
I agree on dribbling but Martial kind of stagnated on the shooting aspects. He like to pace it wide and low to the keeper's left and many times it's been found out. I'd like him to adapt more variations of this. Rashford shooting is shaping up quite nicely. His shooting technique is so unique and power he generates is remarkable. He's wasn't like taht when he broke out into the first team. I do agree with your point that we can just enjoy watching our two most promising players grow right in front of our eyes.

I am not Steve Coppell

The only good thing Van Gaal did was promote Rashford to the first team, and if I can link this into Mourinho( cos I f*ckin hate the guy), if Mourinho had been in charge he would have probably sold him to Leeds for £3 million after playing him once for 10 minutes in the Caribou Cup.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
On current form Rashford is among the best players in the world.
Not just a striker. And his best years are yet to come.

We also have Greenwood knocking on the door.
To have two strikers come through the academy in such short time is very encouraging.

Great times ahead.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just 2-3 months back, few were saying he shouldn't start for ManUtd, loaned out, won't start for any rival club, not a better striker than top half teams in PL, harsh on Welbeck to compare Rashford with him and few more. Since Ole in charge he is just a different beast. It's not even just about scoring, it's his all round game, intensity in his game and how good he is overall.

Glad we got rid of manager who shat in our young players and have someone who really believes in them. Makes such a huge difference.

yfoFC

Let's see; Martial has improved his base level where if he's not scoring or assisting he still contributes to our overall game. Martial used to swing from extremes but is now playing at a more consistent level.

He's now more of a team player where his first instinct is no longer to go past 3 men by himself but looking for teammates in better positions, this doesn't get highlighted because it comes at a cost.. a reduction of his dribbling game but I feel it makes him a more complete player.

People just like to assume he's at the same level when he first came here and has stagnated but that's false.

Rashford is currently going through a nice patch in form that Martial himself has gone through earlier this season... under a worse regime, with Rashford being a no-show then but same can't be said of Martial during Rashford's good form.

Please let's not pit these two players against each other but enjoy them as they are ours and we should feel lucky to have two of the brightest youngsters in football at our club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think we should really care too much which one is better since they both are excellent talents, but Rashford definitely looks like someone who is working more on himself than Martial. Actually, he looks determined more than majority of young players around which is good to see.
Best part if they compliment each other and play well together. They are also best players in their position in our team.

Kapardin

To think just 4 months ago he was keeping his head down and running in a straight line bump into a defender. Clearly, coaching has had an effect, let's see if this form lasts and he truly becomes an elite player. Never again should he play LW though, he just can't do it.

The only good thing Van Gaal did was promote Rashford to the first team, and if I can link this into Mourinho( cos I f*ckin hate the guy), if Mourinho had been in charge he would have probably sold him to Leeds for £3 million after playing him once for 10 minutes in the Caribou Cup.
Just as the only good thing Mourinho did was to sign Pogba, whom LvG would never have contemplated buying considering he hated players who refused to strait-jacket themselves in rigid tactics.

Both managers failed precisely because of faults like these, but both also had one or two positives to their tenures.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Let's see; Martial has improved his base level where if he's not scoring or assisting he still contributes to our overall game. Martial used to swing from extremes but is now playing at a more consistent level.

He's now more of a team player where his first instinct is no longer to go past 3 men by himself but looking for teammates in better positions, this doesn't get highlighted because it comes at a cost.. a reduction of his dribbling game but I feel it makes him a more complete player.

People just like to assume he's at the same level when he first came here and has stagnated but that's false.

Rashford is currently going through a nice patch in form that Martial himself has gone through earlier this season... under a worse regime, with Rashford being a no-show then but same can't be said of Martial during Rashford's good form.

Please let's not pit these two players against each other but enjoy them as they are ours and we should feel lucky to have two of the brightest youngsters in football at our club.
Makes long post arguing why one of these two players is better than the other. Followed by plea that they shouldn’t be compared. Go figure.

Treble

Rashford looks more determined and works harder than Martial. But he is in hot form whereas Martial has slowed down recently. 2 months ago Martial looked like the much better player. Recency bias might distort opinions.

haram

I mean you can dislike Mourinho and be critical of him, but he did give Rashford a lot of game time, and even Rashford’s current form started when Jose was still here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rashford looks more determined and works harder than Martial. But he is in hot form whereas Martial has slowed down recently. 2 months ago Martial looked like the much better player. Recency bias might distort opinions.
Sure. Although their relative ages also need to be taken into account. Which is why it was reasonable to allow Rashford a bit more leniency when he was making bad decisions or making silly mistakes, while finding similar performances from Martial frustrating.

On a similar note, this “hot form” from Rashford could well be just a result of him maturing. So there’s a good chance it’s onwards and upwards from here.

Last edited:

Kapardin

I mean you can dislike Mourinho and be critical of him, but he did give Rashford a lot of game time, and even Rashford’s current form started when Jose was still here.
To be fair, I doubt Mourinho would have played Rashford that much if he hadn't already been discovered by LvG and regarded highly by the club as a key youth prospect. It was pretty much a mandatory thing to develop Rashford for any incoming manager.

And while Rashford scored a fair few under Jose, his movement, control and finishing have never been as good as they are now, and that is due to Ole actually coaching him on these aspects rather than claiming "he lacks maturity, his natural ability isn't as high as Sterling's" etc.

A bit of confidence also helps; if Rashford tried out some of the tricks he does now under Jose and got dispossessed leading to an opposition goal or something, he would have to bear Jose's caustic comments post match. Under Ole, he would probably be encouraged to try risky things even with a CB like Jones at the back.

haram

To be fair, I doubt Mourinho would have played Rashford that much if he hadn't already been discovered by LvG and regarded highly by the club as a key youth prospect. It was pretty much a mandatory thing to develop Rashford for any incoming manager.

And while Rashford scored a fair few under Jose, his movement, control and finishing have never been as good as they are now, and that is due to Ole actually coaching him on these aspects rather than claiming "he lacks maturity, his natural ability isn't as high as Sterling's" etc.

A bit of confidence also helps; if Rashford tried out some of the tricks he does now under Jose and got dispossessed leading to an opposition goal or something, he would have to bear Jose's caustic comments post match. Under Ole, he would probably be encouraged to try risky things even with a CB like Jones at the back.
You are entitled to your opinion. The person I replied to though implied that Rashford got no game time under Jose, which is objectively false.

Treble

Sure. Although their relative ages also need to be taken into account. Which is why it was reasonable to allow Rashford a bit more leniency when he was making bad decisions or making silly mistakes, while finding similar performances from Martial very frustrating.

On a similar note, this “hot form” from Rashford could well be just a result of him maturing. So there’s a good chance it’s onwards and upwards from here.
He will have difficult moments as young players tend to be inconsistent but fans must be patient. He has the quality to become a top player.

Martial and Rashford are good enough for any team in the PL including City imo. When I watch England I don't see any gap in quality between Rashford and Sterling.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's funny when people justify criticism of calling him "Championship class" or "Welbeck 2.0" and put it all onto Mourinho rather than recognising that they were short sighted and perhaps a bit stupid in their opinions. Ever since has Rashford has debuted, there has never been a time where he has been "overrated" or "championship class". I just bumped the Jesus thread and there were posts calling him that he wasn't even in the same class talent wise as Jesus or Martial, again that was never true.

crossy1686

career ending
It's funny when people justify criticism of calling him "Championship class" or "Welbeck 2.0" and put it all onto Mourinho rather than recognising that they were short sighted and perhaps a bit stupid in their opinions. Ever since has Rashford has debuted, there has never been a time where he has been "overrated" or "championship class". I just bumped the Jesus thread and there were posts calling him that he wasn't even in the same class talent wise as Jesus or Martial, again that was never true.
Had a disagreement with a poster last season about Rashford vs Martial. I'm going to go back and bump it if I can find it, people were way to invested in making everything about 'someone' vs Mourinho to see that Rashford has always been the bigger talent between the two. His development year on year has been phenomenal.

Rafeeq RSA

Exciting times ahead with Rashers, he really looks the part and puts in so much effort for the team. Really hope this is upwards and onwards for him , the PSG game will be the big test for him. Being compared to Mbappe , scoring in either tie while knocking them out will have the media drooling over Rashers he will need to keep his head down and not get caught up with the media frenzy. Will be a great achievement to tell me kids one day how I witnessed the rise of a legend like I did with R7.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Had a disagreement with a poster last season about Rashford vs Martial. I'm going to go back and bump it if I can find it, people were way to invested in making everything about 'someone' vs Mourinho to see that Rashford has always been the bigger talent between the two. His development year on year has been phenomenal.
To be fair, I'm not interested in even debating who's better and who's not, what I do think is there isn't a "gap of class" between them. Ultimately both are class players and in the next month or so will commit their long term futures with us.

crossy1686

career ending
On current form Rashford is among the best players in the world.
Not just a striker. And his best years are yet to come.

We also have Greenwood knocking on the door.
To have two strikers come through the academy in such short time is very encouraging.

Great times ahead.
Would love to have a whole front line from the academy. Rashford, Chong, Greenwood, Gomes and Lingard.

buckooo1978

it's no coincidence that his best football has come after a Lukaku injury where Mourinho was forced to play him at 9.

Ole has been bringing the best out of him and you can see a marked improvement in his finishing

physically he is magnificent - no centre back will get an easy time with Rashford

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Makes long post arguing why one of these two players is better than the other. Followed by plea that they shouldn’t be compared. Go figure.
Considering that the poster you replied to complained that Rashford wasn't receiving enough criticism as compared to Martial after the Reading game, I have a strong hunch as to where his/her priorities lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.