Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Said about 18 months ago United should have signed Vardy and loaned Rashford there to develop in a relatively obscure environment - he’s simply not the #9 United currently need, while he needs to play there regularly to develop accordingly.

He should be exiled in the summer, to somewhere like Newcastle where he can mature away from the moronic influence of Pogba and Lingard. Lukaku at the same age was substantially better than him, and I’d argue even Danny Welbeck was more useful, in a Heskey sense. He’s at an important point in his career and needs a massive kick up the arse.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Grow up and get some perspective. What the heck has being a top red got to do with it? We are in a place to reap the rewards of a top young forward coming through at our own club and people want to savage him all the time. It’ll be even worse when the lightning conductor of criticism that’s Paul Pogba perhaps departs.

The only players younger than Rashford to score more league goals than in him in the top 5 leagues this season are Mbappé, Jovic, Havertz and Sancho. Go for combined league goals and assists and it is still the same list. Go purely for assists and the only players younger are Sancho, Mbappé and Alexander-Arnold. It’s a literal Who’s Who of the most in demand young players in European football.

The grass is always greener on the other side though, isn’t it? Anyone wanting to sideline or sell Rashford is beautifully showing up their own ignorance.

WE HAVE PEOPLE WANTING TO SEND HIM OUT ON LOAN TO A LOWER LEAGUE OR BOTTOM HALF PREMIER LEAGUE CLUB AND THINK THIS IS A REASONABLE OPINION TO SHARE.
Where are all these forwards younger than him who have had more minutes for a start? It's a bit of a straw man argument. Rashford must be one of the most trusted youngster forwards out there, I struggle to think of younger players at top teams. Perhaps, there's little competition because most top clubs don't give young players much of an opportunity because they are so inconsistent.... bit like Rashford.

We have given him the minutes here, and what do we really have to show for it? Out of every club competition and languishing in sixth. Therefore it's not surprising that the ones you point out are emerging stars, because they are there totally on merit, and nothing to do with 'the united way' and 'giving youth a chance'. It's obvious that Rashford gets preferential treatment because he is an academy product, though how he escapes criticism after some of the poorer performances is quite astonishing.

Rashford is a dangerous player at times, because he is so direct and because he has some good qualities, he will offer the occasional goal or assist (also, how many young forwards are there out there are there who have a midfielder of the quality of Pogba creating chances for them?) Despite a few goals and assists though, his all-round contribution is poor, he doesn't create much for others and on an off day loses the ball with every other touch (which is more often than not). Genuinely I would rather have Calvert Lewin, as he is doing an effective job for the team, sorry if that makes you soil your Red Devils pyjamas.

Thought experiment, if you put Tammy Abraham in this team as a forward for a whole season what do you think he would score, 0? With Pogba and our other decent players behind him? I doubt it. 5-10 minimum I reckon and probably more than 10. I expect he'd be 'potentially world class' and 'worth 100m' to barca too. Courtesy of the red jersey and our over inflated wage structure.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good post.

And I remember well the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here when Ronaldo was knuckle balling the ball into the stands, week after week. If anything, Rashford seems to be a little bit more likely than he was to hit the target.
Here we go again comparing this kid to Ronaldo. He’s nowhere near in terms of class even when Ronaldo was a kid he was light years ahead in terms of ability.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Grow up and get some perspective. What the heck has being a top red got to do with it? We are in a place to reap the rewards of a top young forward coming through at our own club and people want to savage him all the time. It’ll be even worse when the lightning conductor of criticism that’s Paul Pogba perhaps departs.

The only players younger than Rashford to score more league goals than in him in the top 5 leagues this season are Mbappé, Jovic, Havertz and Sancho. Go for combined league goals and assists and it is still the same list. Go purely for assists and the only players younger are Sancho, Mbappé and Alexander-Arnold. It’s a literal Who’s Who of the most in demand young players in European football.

The grass is always greener on the other side though, isn’t it? Anyone wanting to sideline or sell Rashford is beautifully showing up their own ignorance.

WE HAVE PEOPLE WANTING TO SEND HIM OUT ON LOAN TO A LOWER LEAGUE OR BOTTOM HALF PREMIER LEAGUE CLUB AND THINK THIS IS A REASONABLE OPINION TO SHARE.
Perspective? How about pragmatism? How about determining what is best for the club over a single person? Christ almighty, the love for this kid is admirable, but completely clouds judgement. So we are to persist with Rashford next year & potentially, likely endure a similar season like this one. Who gives a shit about how his stats match up to others his age when he hasn’t truly progressed? What’s wrong with loaning him out in order to better him & the club? The anointing of this kid to levels that he simply cannot attain right now isn’t fair to him, but most importantly isn’t fair to the club. Should we persist with him only to have similar seasons to this one just because he is a fecking academy player? That’s the embarrassing part of this.

Red00012

I was calling him welbeck at the start of the season , gave him a break when Ole took over as he played a few decent games. But he’s back at peak welbeck again.

haram

I was calling him welbeck at the start of the season , gave him a break when Ole took over as he played a few decent games. But he’s back at peak welbeck again.
Says more about you than it does him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Here we go again comparing this kid to Ronaldo. He’s nowhere near in terms of class even when Ronaldo was a kid he was light years ahead in terms of ability.
Ronaldo got people out of their seats the way he dribbled and put on a show for the crowd. In his first season with us, he capped it off with a MOTM performance against Arsenal in the semis of the FA Cup, destroying Gael Clichy in the process and putting up a clinic in the final to win the cup. He was just a teenager at the time too. Rashford doesnt even come close.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ronaldo got people out of their seats the way he dribbled and put on a show for the crowd. In his first season with us, he capped it off with a MOTM performance against Arsenal in the semis of the FA Cup, destroying Gael Clichy in the process and putting up a clinic in the final to win the cup. He was just a teenager at the time too. Rashford doesnt even come close.
The comparison is getting embarrassing. You’re forgetting Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006 too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The comparison is getting embarrassing. You’re forgetting Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006 too.
I only mentioned the first season due to that season alone being more than sufficient to make my point. Mentioning Ronaldo's displays as a teenager at Euro 2004 where he forced Scolari to bench a legend like Rui Costa. Or as a 21 year old at World Cup 06 where he was described by Jimmy Greaves as the best player in the tournament, would've been too much for the Rashford comparison.

0le

The injuries, rushing back from injuries and burn-out have contributed to poor form and also made worse his decision making. The season can't end soon enough for Rashford - he just needs a lengthy break and a good pre-season.

Luke1995

Have your expectations about Marcus's potential changed since you first saw him in 2016 ?

BlueHaze

I think Greenwood will become what we all hoped Rashford would be. I don't think Rashford has the qualities to be our main man up front. To me he honestly looks even better out on the left.

manunited1919

One of the problems with Rashford is that his head has gotten too big, and he believes what people say and write about him in the media. He badly needs a reality check, but unfortunately I don’t see Ole giving it to him.

It seems there is a group of ex-players and media personalities that used to push hard for Rooney to play each and every match, and now they seem to want to aggrandize Rashford at every turn. The bad news is that they are close to Ole.

manunited1919

One of the problems with Rashford is that his head has gotten too big, and he believes what people say and write about him in the media. He badly needs a reality check, but unfortunately I don’t see Ole giving it to him.

It seems there is a group of ex-players and media personalities that used to push hard for Rooney to play each and every match, and now they seem to want to aggrandize Rashford at every turn. The bad news is that they are close to Ole.

AJ10

Needs to stop pretending to be like Ronaldo and he'll be fine.

passing-wind

Have your expectations about Marcus's potential changed since you first saw him in 2016 ?
Development has stalled, was productive under LVG, a headless chicken under Jose, looks rubbish under Ole. Martial always outperformed him, just Marcus offers the stronger work ethic.

He's not good enough for this club in the starting 11. If Solskjaer puts all his faith in Rashford he won't return the favour in terms of performances.

OL29

Development has stalled, was productive under LVG, a headless chicken under Jose, looks rubbish under Ole. Martial always outperformed him, just Marcus offers the stronger work ethic.

He's not good enough for this club in the starting 11. If Solskjaer puts all his faith in Rashford he won't return the favour in terms of performances.
Not true and I really like Martial. They’ve both outperformed each other at different times but Rashford has been better this season.

Aloysius's Back 3

Needs to stop playing centrally and play as a LF. Play as a complete forward that aims to be in the right place at the right time.

Problem for all our attackers is that they create chances for themselves whilst only Pogba creates chances for them. We don't have wingbacks, attacking midfielders or CM's that provide any chances to adequately give the right platform for our strikers to compete with each other.

Rashford/Martial - Greenwood/ Bale
Sancho/Martial​

This should spread the chances of first team football equally and the goals spread across 3 different players every game.

edcunited1878

Needs a physical and mental break from football/the pressure cooker. It's been a long two/three years with his ascension as a core first team member, world cup, new #10 and this season.

He'll definitely mature mentally and physically, but needs to get back to playing instinctive football that brings his teammates into the action. His instincts right now are me, me, me and he's caved under his own expectations and demands the past couple of months. When the going gets tough, you have to be able to breathe and do things a little bit slower, let it come to you and not force the issue. Haven't really seen him enjoy himself too much either, not smiling as much. He's still a kid and needs to express that joy on the pitch.

ForestRGoinUp

Just needs to be taught how to play football and not hero ball. You know what they say though:

The older a dog gets, the tougher it becomes to teach that old dog the tricks that a younger dog can learn.

AJ10

This Ronaldo wannabe couldn't hit a target if his life depended on it.

Patrick08

Success got to his head and his attitude looks like crap. Lingard pogba has had a bad influence on him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Should have scored twice when put through by Mata. No idea where his head is at.

Zoo

He’s a wing forward. We won’t go anywhere soon with him as our main number 9.

Raw

He should not be a starting forward for us. Outside of a purple patch he's been garbage this season.

red4ever 79

Awful again. As bad as Lukaku and Martial but because he is local and English he doesn't seem to get the grief the others do. Squad player at best

Hoof the ball

He receives more grace from both United staff and members of Redcafe on the account of his homegrown identity. Time to be frank. We're approaching seven years now without a league title and the time for sentimentality has run its due course.

Status
Not open for further replies.