4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The only 2 players in the world clearly better than him from the left are Mbappe and Vinicius.

So good luck finding someone better there. He's 1 of only 2 players in our squad who are supremely productive too.
I don’t agree with that assessment. He’s good when he’s on song and one of the biggest goal threats for a wide forward. But he’s got the weakest overall game of any left sided winger in the top 4. Grealish, Diaz, Martinelli, are all more consistent with their overall actions while making less dumb decisions throughout a game.

CG1010

This is exactly how I feel.

I actually don't think he enjoys playing football. Even when he scores a goal it is more of relief than ecstacy.

He also isn't a natural competitor. Does it burn him up inside when he loses a duel or a 50/50 ball.
I feel he is always very anxious/under pressure. He needs another top class attacker to divide the burden and focus. Hope Hojlund is upto the task and/or Antony stands up this season.

LInkash

Like with Bruno, hoping that when Hojlund is up and running, he will be unlocked even more. With so many goal contributions already, imagine if we actually had an actual centre forward, he'd be contributing bucket loads more.

When Martial was on form, Rashford would link up with him so well so when Rashy is already getting assists to the likes of Eriksen, if he could provide service to an actual striker, whatever his flaws, his output will increase so much.

And don't forget about his record on big games so he can be a key figure in winning trophies.

NZT-One

Involved in all 3 goals, but can't make decisions?
Goal involvements are not just that the attacker is doing something right, it is always if a defender did something wrong. The dribble attempts by Rashford certainly were good and I am glad, they turned out in goals, but from my point of view, when he receives the ball, he too often is looking for a superstar moment. He isn't as good as a dribbler as he thinks he is, he doesn't have the close control to dribble at speed that close to the byline.

I think, he is stagnating as a player. Don't know if it is only me but it kind of feels like, he thinks that he is good enough to behave like Ronaldo or Messi or even Mbappe on the pitch. And I just don't think, he has their quality as a player. Granted, he definitely played way better at LW yesterday than the matches before and maybe he will start to think more if there is another attacker to actually create for.

He was involved in all 3 goals. I find it so bizarre that rather than focus on the positive the majority in this thread come out with the negative. Antony tracked back today and pressed okay but not much else, he didn’t have any assists or goals but Rashford is singled out as the ‘problem’.
There were moments in yesterdays game where Rashford was back at left back winning the ball but they’re overlook in favour of showing a clip of him failing at something.
Such a weird mentality.
Nothing bizarre about it. If you want to focus only on the positives, you're free to do it. But three moments with an actual output in a match that lasted 111 minutes against a relegation candidate isn't really world class stuff. If it is for you, thats fine but lets stop calling peoples opinions bizarre.

I am not sure what constitutes a "weird" mentality since it is a subjective concept but I am pretty sure that the snowflake "mentally weak" "be content with mediocrity" "mercenary" culture has plagued our team in the last few years and that is why we have fallen behind so much, and we have a fanbase (perhaps you included) that is too lenient and indulging, giving our players and the board a almost free pass.

Rashford just had a decent performance yesterday, you won't deny that his performance was not worldclass right? What is the problem of asking your key attacking player to improve? What is the use of "focusing on the positive"? You think that Rashford hasn't got enough praise and appreciation already in his life? Obviously it is the other way round.

Our players are spoiled, stop spoiling them if you want our team to progress.
Well said.

I appreciate Rashford as a player and I think, he is a very talented player and seemingly a good person. And I am sure, playing at LW instead of ST will help him to play better. And having Hojlund as somebody who it makes sense to create for maybe will bring out the best of him. I really hope though, that as a player he continues to develop because I sometimes get the feeling he thinks he is already at a point where he only has to be him to justify his place.

RedOrange

And how the feck is he and Antony the last man for a corner defending ?
Because he's shit at heading the ball. Every team attacks corners with the best aerial players. Rashford just madea stupid play. It might be the first time in his life he's been in that situation and he'll probably approach it better next time by chasing the ball with more urgency and kicking it back to the keeper immediately.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Because he's shit at heading the ball. Every team attacks corners with the best aerial players. Rashford just madea stupid play. It might be the first time in his life he's been in that situation and he'll probably approach it better next time by chasing the ball with more urgency and kicking it back to the keeper immediately.
And AWB is worse. AWB was right on the edge while Rashford and Antony were staying back

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just come off his most productive season ever! Yeah sure stagnated to hell :lol:
A classic case of familiarity breeding contempt. The list of names Rashford has been unfavourably compared to over the years on the Caf is quite something

NZT-One

Just come off his most productive season ever! Yeah sure stagnated to hell :lol:
Seems like you thought "stagnating" is meant as an insult or something. It wasn't. And it isn't a case of my contempt. I just don't think, he is getting better overall. He scored more goals, yes. And I'll happily admit, that he got a pretty great streak over a few weeks. But the sort of discussions we have on here, indicate to me, that not everything is fantastic for everybody. If you are happy with it, thats fine for me. I am not going to make snide remarks about it. I just think, he is blessed with talent and physis to really stand out as a player. And to me he kind of doesn't. I think, he was more involved in everything a couple of years ago, while still being as dangerous as he is today.

Maureen-yo

I am not sure what constitutes a "weird" mentality since it is a subjective concept but I am pretty sure that the snowflake "mentally weak" "be content with mediocrity" "mercenary" culture has plagued our team in the last few years and that is why we have fallen behind so much, and we have a fanbase (perhaps you included) that is too lenient and indulging, giving our players and the board a almost free pass.

Rashford just had a decent performance yesterday, you won't deny that his performance was not worldclass right? What is the problem of asking your key attacking player to improve? What is the use of "focusing on the positive"? You think that Rashford hasn't got enough praise and appreciation already in his life? Obviously it is the other way round.

Our players are spoiled, stop spoiling them if you want our team to progress.
Contrarily, What is the use of focussing on the negative at the cost of ignoring the positive?
So, because Rashford has had appreciation in his life he shouldnt receive any more even though he is the most productive player, in terms of goals involvement, of the match and the whole of last season but in your eyes he’s a mercenary. You’ve got an agenda, that much is clear.

Devil You Know

He made all 3 goals!

The cross to Eriksen for the first. The cross to Bruno for the second was the moment of clever play that broke the Forest line. And the run into the box for the penalty. Nobody else had it in them to produce a moment of true quality.

The fact he isn't a top class defender on top of that shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him. You shouldn't need your main goalscorer to be the last line of defence in the first place. That's on the actual back 4 and the manager to organise them better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't watch the match on saturday, just watched full game. As usual over the top criticism, he lost possession very easily 3-4 times and that happened in 15 min spell in the first half. Apart from that he did well enough apart from all the goal involvements.

Losing possession especially for attacking player is fine and very common, I think he made poor decision when he looked for 4th goal instead of keeping possession and kill the game. The way we managed the game after taking the lead was poor.

Waynne

Didn't watch the match on saturday, just watched full game. As usual over the top criticism, he lost possession very easily 3-4 times and that happened in 15 min spell in the first half. Apart from that he did well enough apart from all the goal involvements.

Losing possession especially for attacking player is fine and very common, I think he made poor decision when he looked for 4th goal instead of keeping possession and kill the game. The way we managed the game after taking the lead was poor.
It legit looked like we were a man down instead of Forrest. The most bizarre final minutes to a game I ever recall for this team.

Maybe his girlfriend has left him. He has regressed this season.
Did he also stop pointing to his head?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

He made all 3 goals!

The cross to Eriksen for the first. The cross to Bruno for the second was the moment of clever play that broke the Forest line. And the run into the box for the penalty. Nobody else had it in them to produce a moment of true quality.

The fact he isn't a top class defender on top of that shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him. You shouldn't need your main goalscorer to be the last line of defence in the first place. That's on the actual back 4 and the manager to organise them better.
Yeah. This is a weird game to criticize him. 2 assists and excellent cross for the 2nd goal. That kind of output makes up to whatever other things he did or didn't do in that game.

JeffFromHK

Contrarily, What is the use of focussing on the negative at the cost of ignoring the positive?
So, because Rashford has had appreciation in his life he shouldnt receive any more even though he is the most productive player, in terms of goals involvement, of the match and the whole of last season but in your eyes he’s a mercenary. You’ve got an agenda, that much is clear.
Because we should call a spade a spade?? His performance lately really isn't world beater or of any sort, and we need our key attacking players to have world beater performance to challenge the top spot?
How can you improve if you think you are good enough and are not aware of your shortcomings?

You are content with us fighting for the 3rd or 4th spot every year?

stw2022

Channelling the spirit of Roy Keane - he isn't the type of player you want besides you thing in to battle. And that fact has nothing to do with his talent. It's his attitude.

It's embarrassing, quite frankly, the excuses made for him sulking around the pitch with his shoulders slumped in some kind of sulk because the manager had the temerity to play him out of position. For me you can forget everything else. A player like that doesn't deserve to wear the jersey. I don't care if he got fouled in the box 38 times and we converted 38 penalties and best Forest 40-2 it wouldn't change that.

A primadonna with a phenomenal PR team.

Ferguson would have ripped his bollocks off for just one performance like he turns in most weeks and fans would have celebrated it as good man management. The same fans today will defend that nonsense for months at a time and accuse those of us that call him out on it for having an 'agenda'

Last edited:

Strelok

I feel he is always very anxious/under pressure.
He has one of the best records against the top teams mate. The only time I've seen he fecked up under pressure was the pen in the Euro. But imo that's largely down to the poor man management of Southgate.

spe88

I don’t agree with that assessment. He’s good when he’s on song and one of the biggest goal threats for a wide forward. But he’s got the weakest overall game of any left sided winger in the top 4. Grealish, Diaz, Martinelli, are all more consistent with their overall actions while making less dumb decisions throughout a game.
Well said. He’s comparable to Sterling, capable of being good for a couple of games, bad for a lot of them and too many brain farts. Seems to always be picked because of his reputation.

Maybe he’s ok for a side competing for the top 4, but he’ll never be in the starting XI of a title challenging side. I can say that about 7-8 of our players

TrustInJanuzaj

He made all 3 goals!

This is one the main things that prevents us being a top team. Watching Liverpool over the years, they press as one and carry no passengers and that includes Mo Salah, the best forward in the league. For Klopp Salah still works as hard as ever and presses in the unit which is what makes it so effective. Rashford constantly kills our press and prevents us playing higher up the pitch. Combine that with his lack of ability to hold and retain possession and we have a vacuum in the side where possession goes to die.

crossy1686

career ending

He played a solid part in all our goals, I don’t think the comeback happens without him on the pitch

IrishRedDevil

This is one the main things that prevents us being a top team. Watching Liverpool over the years, they press as one and carry no passengers and that includes Mo Salah, the best forward in the league. For Klopp Salah still works as hard as ever and presses in the unit which is what makes it so effective. Rashford constantly kills our press and prevents us playing higher up the pitch. Combine that with his lack of ability to hold and retain possession and we have a vacuum in the side where possession goes to die.
I know that sounds like a cool thing to say and all, and I believed it for a long time also, but actually watch a Liverpoool game and they don't press anything like that anymore.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The match basically summed up how he's been for most of the last four years. Generally poor, but ultimately is the one who gets the goals/assists to win us the game. If we break down his last four seasons he's basically had:

1 season where he's played really well and scored/assisted a lot (half of 19/20 and half of 22/23)
1 season where he's played poorly and not got many goals/assists (all of 21/22)
2 seasons where his general play is poor but he still scored/assisted a good amount (half of 19/20, all of 20/21 and half of 22/23)

Obviously being able to get the final product even when you aren't playing well is a great ability to have, but there are definite questions over whether someone whose general play is so often poor can be a key player for a team who wants to take the step up to the top. It really is a fairly big weakness at times, especially when he's also consistently lazy. However on the flip side, if the rest of the team does step up perhaps his general play will also improve more consistently.

TrustInJanuzaj

I know that sounds like a cool thing to say and all, and I believed it for a long time also, but actually watch a Liverpoool game and they don't press anything like that anymore.
I watched yesterday and they still press as one. It isn’t always a high press, sometimes it’s a mid block press, but just watch the way all of their forwards moved as one. They did that yesterday and that only works if all of them do it.

Threesus

Maybe he can be benched for the arsenal game and garnacho can come in. We can control possession better and lose 3-0.

CG1010

He has one of the best records against the top teams mate. The only time I've seen he fecked up under pressure was the pen in the Euro. But imo that's largely down to the poor man management of Southgate.
I am not talking about pressure against top vs bottom teams. I am talking about the pressure of being the main man for United, expected to provide the bulk of goals.

The reason why he does well against the top teams is obvious - the space they provide suits his style.

IrishRedDevil

I watched yesterday and they still press as one. It isn’t always a high press, sometimes it’s a mid block press, but just watch the way all of their forwards moved as one. They did that yesterday and that only works if all of them do it.
I watched them yesterday and was underwhelmed by their press. Newcastle played around them and won the midfield battle when it was 11v11.

Strelok

I am not talking about pressure against top vs bottom teams. I am talking about the pressure of being the main man for United, expected to provide the bulk of goals.

The reason why he does well against the top teams is obvious - the space they provide suits his style.
Agree. And based on this thread I think that is understandable. Regardless of whatever he does for the team if he can't score he's trash anyway.

stw2022

There's a growing distinction between those that watch him and criticise his overall performance and those who hold the same opinion as those who just the match report in the following morning's papers could conclude: "Got an assist and won us the penalty".

There's very little defence around how poorly more fans than ever are identifying that he played.

The whole thing where not playing well yet getting outcomes being a good thing. It is, occasionally. Players or teams will have to dig deep to get through a rough day. We did it lots under Ole. At some point those kind of situations when they start to become the norm should be a massive sign of concern, not something to celebrate.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hides from Rashford threads when he plays well and then makes most posts when he doesn't score but apparently these are unbiased posters who just watch and comment on his performance without any bias :lol:

Frank White

Channelling the spirit of Roy Keane - he isn't the type of player you want besides you thing in to battle. And that fact has nothing to do with his talent. It's his attitude.

It's embarrassing, quite frankly, the excuses made for him sulking around the pitch with his shoulders slumped in some kind of sulk because the manager had the temerity to play him out of position. For me you can forget everything else. A player like that doesn't deserve to wear the jersey. I don't care if he got fouled in the box 38 times and we converted 38 penalties and best Forest 40-2 it wouldn't change that.

A primadonna with a phenomenal PR team.

Ferguson would have ripped his bollocks off for just one performance like he turns in most weeks and fans would have celebrated it as good man management. The same fans today will defend that nonsense for months at a time and accuse those of us that call him out on it for having an 'agenda'
Just going to go out on a limb here and say people might believe you specifically have a "agenda" against Rashford because you quite commonly make things up that people have said to support your argument, you blame other peoples short coming on Rashford i.e Antony being shite which is hilarious because if someone did that for Rashford you would throw a fit for weeks about how the English bias is too strong or the top reds are out to defend him :lol:

And this is the main one you quite literally only post about Rashford in the performance threads. Reading your post history you'd believe Rashford is the only player to play bad for United in the last 2 years so unless you believe that then explain how what you do here isn't a "agenda"?

Lyng

There's a growing distinction between those that watch him and criticise his overall performance and those who hold the same opinion as those who just the match report in the following morning's papers could conclude: "Got an assist and won us the penalty".

There's very little defence around how poorly more fans than ever are identifying that he played.

The whole thing where not playing well yet getting outcomes being a good thing. It is, occasionally. Players or teams will have to dig deep to get through a rough day. We did it lots under Ole. At some point those kind of situations when they start to become the norm should be a massive sign of concern, not something to celebrate.
Rashford, when playing on the left, usually always creates something for us. The first match back on the left and he gets an assist and a penalty. I wish our other wings had that kind of impact. Sure they might press or run more, but if they dont create whats the point?

calwil93

I felt he played well in small patches during the game but has struggled at the start of the season. Still a long way to go this season, but hopefully he can continue to improve because he is one of our most important players.

Big Ray

Has he got it in him to put in a shift at all? I mean, his lack of challenging for 50/50’s or even 60/40’s in his favour and work rate (martial and sancho are the same when they play) has us exposed especially away from home for a long time and it’s not like his output is like Ronaldo / Messi like where you can forgive him for conserving his energy. I expect him to have a few moments again today with his overall game in terms or workrate and decision making being a complete shambles and leaving us exposed…. Again. You’re only as strong as your weakest link and off the ball, Marcus is definitely ours. He just gives me the impression that he either doesn’t like football or is completely and utterly yellow!

york_cole_99

Has he got it in him to put in a shift at all? I mean, his lack of challenging for 50/50’s or even 60/40’s in his favour and work rate (martial and sancho are the same when they play) has us exposed especially away from home for a long time and it’s not like his output is like Ronaldo / Messi like where you can forgive him for conserving his energy. I expect him to have a few moments again today with his overall game in terms or workrate and decision making being a complete shambles and leaving us exposed…. Again. You’re only as strong as your weakest link and off the ball, Marcus is definitely ours. He just gives me the impression that he either doesn’t like football or is completely and utterly yellow!

His body language to start this season has been nothing short of awful.

The thing I'll be watching for is his reaction when something doesn't go his way. Does he roll around feigning injury, throwing his arms in the air, or does he get up and do what's required for the team?