View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

JeffFromHK

Because "season rating on this forum" matters a lot. It's done by experts, after all
Yay, the opinions of "football experts" on Skysports or inside United's management/coaching team (e.g. we shall play basketball-esque transition football) must matter more then.

Tell me what Rashford offers apart from his occasional goals (once per 5 games on average) then? Why should we stick with him, a player offers nothing apart from goals or assists, while his assist+goalscoring ratio is even lower than a 19 years old player who at least presses better and run more?

estonianreddevil

Was enjoyable seeing United without Rashford. Some kind of freshness to it. Hope he'll move permanently, absolutely does not want to play for United anymore.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well I can’t exactly create fake transfer rumours now. But I do think every top PL side would take him. Outside of England, seeing as you have seemingly asked to exclude one of about 3 teams who could afford him - then I can’t think of another. Bayern perhaps.

And do I really need to list all the England squad players who will be in demand for huge money this summer? There are uncapped England players who would fetch more than 50m.

Yes.
:lol:

If he was on a free and playing in an incentive laden contract maybe. Nobody would touch him at his current wages.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well I can’t exactly create fake transfer rumours now. But I do think every top PL side would take him. Outside of England, seeing as you have seemingly asked to exclude one of about 3 teams who could afford him - then I can’t think of another. Bayern perhaps.

And do I really need to list all the England squad players who will be in demand for huge money this summer? There are uncapped England players who would fetch more than 50m.

Yes.
Would be our greatest piece of business in over a decade if we manage to get 85m for Rashford.

Von Mistelroum

We definitely look a better side when we have 11 men on the pitch. Hopefully Rashford can find a taker in the summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would be our greatest piece of business in over a decade if we manage to get 85m for Rashford.
The annoying thing here is simply getting Rashford back to his best is worth more than that to us. That’s why I’ve been conflicted for a while.

Us fans are often emotional. See poor performances, ‘get rid!’. Rashford hasn’t lost it due to injury. He hasn’t lost it due to age. We may be best served trying to find out why his form has gone how it is. What is happening in his personal life? What is happening in his mind? Do we need to send him on holiday? Do we need to get him a shrink? Because as emotional as people are who love to lash out online, we know what he CAN do. Our best move may well be to focus on trying to get that version of Rashford back, rather than swapping him for a player who we know isn’t as good as that player.

Of course, to the eye, he looks further and further away from Rashford of last season, or a couple seasons before that. It may be that he needs a new club/environment having been here his whole life. It may be that he’s just unprofessional and money has gotten to his head. Ultimately, if he CAN’T return to his best, then selling him and replacing him with say, Nico Williams, becomes an upgrade for us because Williams is better than what we got on Sunday at Wembley. My worry is that he isn’t as good as what England got at the World Cup, or we got in the Nou Camp just last season. If I put that as the bar, I don’t think we can better it on the market. Replacing Rashford only makes sense if THIS has now become his level. That is for those closer to him to assess than myself of course, those who work with him. Garnacho is better than him now, but is nowhere near what he was last season. We must be more calculated before we just get rid and play Garnacho. Ultimately, we want elite level performers where possible, and we know MR is at least capable. I have no idea what’s happened to him this season, but I’m not just concluding that this is now Rashford for evermore. And neither will every other club on the market, which is why they will pay for him if he’s available. There are very few difference making forwards at that level, the type that decide classicos, derby’s, score in big quarter and semi finals and so on. Beneath our frustration, Rashford is one of those players. Been top scorer in the CL (before we were knocked out), scored winners in EL semi. He will not be short of suitors, and I would not be surprised at all to see him change environments and become one of the best in the game.

He is not like Sancho who failed at this level.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The annoying thing here is simply getting Rashford back to his best is worth more than that to us. That’s why I’ve been conflicted for a while.

Us fans are often emotional. See poor performances, ‘get rid!’. Rashford hasn’t lost it due to injury. He hasn’t lost it due to age. We may be best served trying to find out why his form has gone how it is. What is happening in his personal life? What is happening in his mind? Do we need to send him on holiday? Do we need to get him a shrink? Because as emotional as people are who love to lash out online, we know what he CAN do. Our best move may well be to focus on trying to get that version of Rashford back, rather than swapping him for a player who we know isn’t as good as that player.
Disagree with almost everything you’ve written. Rashford simply doesn’t justify all this overthinking you’re doing.

- Rashford has had spells of his career where his end product is good
- He is still predominantly a counter attacking player whose technical game is a weak in congested spaces and more suited to having big open spaces to run into (counter attacking footy - suited to West Ham and co)
- His off the ball qualities are atrocious
- He is paid a fortune
- He has been utter dross this season

Simply put, he’s nowhere near as valuable as you make him out to be. People keep going on about standards here but then also hang on to “One night in Paris / Barca”. This is the highest level - you have to made snappy and sensible decisions. For me a player who barely runs and can’t even win duels is not worth any hassle. Moreover him being unsuited to possession play makes the decision even easier. There’s nothing emotional about it - pure logic.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Disagree with almost everything you’ve written. Rashford simply doesn’t justify all this overthinking you’re doing.

- Rashford has had spells of his career where his end product is good
- He is still predominantly a counter attacking player whose technical game is a weak in congested spaces and more suited to having big open spaces to run into (counter attacking footy - suited to West Ham and co)
- His off the ball qualities are atrocious
- He is paid a fortune
- He has been utter dross this season

Simply put, he’s nowhere near as valuable as you make him out to be. People keep going on about standards here but then also hang on to “One night in Paris / Barca”. This is the highest level - you have to made snappy and sensible decisions. For me a player who barely runs and can’t even win duels is not worth any hassle. Moreover him being unsuited to possession play makes the decision even easier. There’s nothing emotional about it - pure logic.
It’s not ‘overthinking’, I’ve seen him play far better than he is now. And so have you.

And it isn’t about one night in Paris. He’s scored 3 at the World Cup just last season. He’s scored a ridiculous amount of goals home and away against the very best teams in England for years. In addition to Barca. In addition to Paris. He’s scored the goals us to the final in the EL. These are testaments to mentality/balls more than anything else. It takes more than just talent to step up on big stages, it takes responsibility. You need players who can stand up and be counted when needed, and he has done that plenty in his career where some players can only score goals against Sheffield. Not everyone is a ‘big player’. I don’t see Eden Hazard as a ‘CL semi-final winner in the Nou Camp’ guy, for example, he’s just not a killer like that.

This idea that Rashford can only kick and run into 30 yards of space is false too. He’s shown, time and again, when he’s on it, that he can dribble and use footwork to go past defenders.

I have no idea what has happened to him this season. Fans famously can’t look further than your last game or 3 anyway. Clearly, I’m mot arguing that he’s been ‘utter dross this season’. I’m talking about him as a man and a player, and what the best level that can be extracted from him is. You have decided, by the looks of things, that you will, in all your rage and fury use the worst you have ever seen him play as the best level that can be extracted. I believe, due to the fact that he’s not been injured and is not old - that the best I’ve seen him play is the best that he’s capable of.

The above does not mean that I think we MUST keep him. That will depend on our confidence as to whether he will return to his best or not, which requires an understanding of why he is playing as he is now (unless of course, we bizarrely just think this is the best he can do, despite evidence to the contrary). If we feel he is done here, then of course I want him out, as this season’s standard is nowhere near acceptable to me. Last season’s is though, so if that’s still in him at United, then I more than welcome it, as to replace it, we would need to buy players that we simply cannot buy this summer.

You would call it ‘overthinking’ because the ridiculously simplistic way to look at it is ‘he’s playing shit now, so he is shit, don’t over complicate’. Shit players can’t do what he did last season just because they ‘feel like it’. Antony can’t just decide to do it, he doesn’t have it.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
@Rozay some of what you say is true and this season is well below his level. However what you miss out is that he has always been massively inconsistent. Last season was a great individual season after 2 seasons of poor play and to be perfectly honest I think he was pretty much done at the club in a lot of the fans eyes until he pulled last season out of the bag.

One of his major flaws which has not really improved much (even in his really good season last year) was his decision making.

Also as an aside Hazard dragged Chelsea to titles I think you went off piste here he is a player that elevates his team mates and thats why he was a class above Rashford

Malons

We'll see the same from Rashford if Ten Hag goes. The PR game will kick in.

We'll hear about how he's 'turned down' lucrative offers from other clubs from all over Europe to stay here
There'll be images of him sweating a bit during pre-season on Instagram
Stories will leak over how 'impressed' staff are at his dedication during training
Client journalists will report how he's spending 20 hours a day at Carrington because he's so dedicated to getting better

...then around September he'll realise he doesn't fancy it, spend the season phoning it in and reacting like everyone who suggests he's got a shitty attitude is commiting some kind of moral sin that he must defend himself against in a self-pitying series of interviews and social media posts.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he could have been a much better player had he developed in a good team with better players around him. Unfortunately we developed him into an individualist/maverick type player which maybe that is what we needed at the time but I don’t think it really helped him round his game out

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
@Rozay some of what you say is true and this season is well below his level. However what you miss out is that he has always been massively inconsistent. Last season was a great individual season after 2 seasons of poor play and to be perfectly honest I think he was pretty much done at the club in a lot of the fans eyes until he pulled last season out of the bag.

One of his major flaws which has not really improved much (even in his really good season last year) was his decision making.

Also as an aside Hazard dragged Chelsea to titles I think you went off piste here he is a player that elevates his team mates and thats why he was a class above Rashford
I feel like he’s been pretty much one season on, one season off so far in his career personally.

And yes, Hazard is brilliant and played a key role in Chelsea success, but he doesn’t have the most elite mindset to me. I don’t think he has the winning mentality of De Bruyne for example, but of course can be unplayable. It’s not about talent per se, it’s something that players like McTominay, Rodri, seemingly Bellingham, Jota, Trossard have - hard to explain, just players that you trust in the big moments and when a chance comes, they take it like they mean it. I think goalscoring, for example, is as much a mental process as a technical one, and the mental side of it becomes greater the bigger the occasion. I’d trust Rashford over a more talented kid who we might sign to win us a game in a Cup Final.

Even Haaland doesn’t have that IMO. He will score loads of goals, but I don’t fancy him to score the only goal in a 0-1 win in a CL semi final away in Madrid. Those moments are for De Bruyne or Rodri. To win things, in addition to having talent, I think you need a player for the biggest occasions, and those players become fewer as the occasion becomes bigger. Rashford is one of those, and he’s a player I trust to get us over the line in big games. Nevertheless, disagreeing with Hazard as an example is neither here nor there.

I repeat, his form this season is indefensible, but he obviously also didn’t start playing football this season. It’s clearly been a new low for him, and I don’t claim to know the reason for it. The emotion in a fan would probably say something like ‘it’s just simply because he’s shit’. Which I don’t agree with. Antony, for example, is clearly trying as hard as he can and giving his all most of the time. His failings are because he has less to give than Rashford. Rashford is generally disappointing everyone because he is playing below levels he has shown he is capable of. If those more qualified than me think that’s all he’ll give from now, then I’d be the first to get rid. He looks to lack motivation . What is the reason for that? Can that be fixed here, or does he need a new environment or challenge? I don’t claim to know, but neither do the know-it-alls arguing with me. But I do know that Rashford of last season is not easily replaceable on the market, or by Garnacho, and THAT player is certainly a player we need. If those making the decision feel it’s just a holiday or a clip round the ear that’s needed to get him back there, I’d rather keep him than readily ship him out for a player I know that, even if they tried their best every week, is simply not as good. So in short, I’m a little on the fence, but I feel like I’ve given a fair explanation of why my position is my position.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No it isnt, you said every top team would be in for him if for sale. The majority on here would find that laughable
I said a lot of things. That part is subjective, the rest are facts, hence the ‘pretty much everything’, as opposed to ‘everything’.

It is a fact that Rashford has played better than this before. It is a fact that he’s only 26. It is a fact that he has not regressed due to a major injury. It is a fact that he has repeatedly delivered in big moments for Manchester United. So whoever wants to ‘laugh’ or ‘have what I’m smoking’ should probably stop acting like hurt teenagers.

Vidooq

I appreciate your support! It is abuse and has been for months. Enough is enough.

Marcus Rashford on Twitter just now. He has a black background profile picture as well.

van Nistelrooy

Always thought Rashford would improve when he distanced himself from his side-kick Lingard. Turns out he's just as unprofessional as Lingard was.

Absolute cry baby who needs to move on for his own sake and to the benefit of the club.

JeffFromHK

the like of him, Sancho, Pogba, Martial and Lingard are the poster boys of "Poor attitude no fight just want fun Millennials" (unfortunately I fall in the same age group as well).

In Rainbows

Pretty much everything I said is an indisputable fact, but by all means, be a tosser.
Not everything was a fact. His footwork and dribbling have always been average. Just because he occasionally puts in a trick which gets him past a defender doesn't mean his dribbling was good. A good dribbler can average 3 dribbles a game.

His decision making is terrible. He makes his mind up before he tries whatever he wants to try, unless he's been stopped and he'll put in a hail mary pass (no matter how small the distance is). His control has always been average. His shooting technique is his best asset.

His game suits counter attacking sides. The big games are like that for United because United have largely been crap and other better teams pin us down.

always_hoping

So many unprofessional professional players playing for this club over the last decade. Enough is enough indeed.

Malons

Complete lack of accountabiltiy. It really wouldn't take that much to get fans back onside. Even when he saunters around the pitch, 30% of us still somehow come to the conclusion this represents a "decent" display. For the rest of us? We'd probably be won over if he spent a few weeks putting in a shift, raising his energy levels, not looking like a cartoon elephant that's just seen a mouse every time there's the prospect of a physical confrontation on the pitch - and I reckon most of us would probably be satisifed with that.

The bar really isn't that high. Instead he gaslights criticism as 'abuse', as if that's the reason why he can't look as if he gives a toss because someone might make another 'Pimp my ride' video compliation for Twitter and the thought makes him a bit sad so he has to saunter and sulk around the pitch - but don't you DARE 'abuse' him by pointing out he's a disgrace for doing so.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Inappropriate Behavior
There is a pattern. When overhyped, overpaid players fail to deliver and get criticism for it, they play the racism card.

And Rashy is media darling too..

Harry Maguire dealt with vicious, over the top hatred and abuse by being top professional and doing his job.
The likes of Rashford, Martial and Pogba before them, go for the safe "they hate me cuz I'm black" route.

afatzp

I just feel pathetic that we have to constantly deal with this type of players , like Lingard , Sancho , Martial, Pogba; non-stop drama around them , they just could not fully focus on football, fragile in mentality and get distracted by fame / hobbies / business. The more pathetic is that our management take years to take actions to get rid of these players , while the damages have been spread and influence other players.

The day I see Rashford's back out of the club , I would acknowledge that this new management team is better and know how to run proper football club.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
We'll see the same from Rashford if Ten Hag goes. The PR game will kick in.

We'll hear about how he's 'turned down' lucrative offers from other clubs from all over Europe to stay here
There'll be images of him sweating a bit during pre-season on Instagram
Stories will leak over how 'impressed' staff are at his dedication during training
Client journalists will report how he's spending 20 hours a day at Carrington because he's so dedicated to getting better

...then around September he'll realise he doesn't fancy it, spend the season phoning it in and reacting like everyone who suggests he's got a shitty attitude is commiting some kind of moral sin that he must defend himself against in a self-pitying series of interviews and social media posts.
Spot on. Its like I've seen this movie with him and his PR team a few times already.
Get rid.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Might be best for both the parties to part ways. We can invest the money in some young potential and he can go revive his career at another club.

Time for his agent to find a genuine buyer for him. No fecking loan deals where we are paying a portion of his wages. Get us 80m-100m Euros and he can leave.

Malons

Gaslighting criticism as "abuse". I'm not saying he doesn't get abused, I'm sure he does. I'm sure every black player does and that's unacceptable and a separate issue.

The "abuse" he means is criticism of performance. Those 'Pimp my ride' videos. The fact fans at games are now getting on his back for his nonsense on the pitch. He's not making a point about the unacceptable and disgusting abuse by online trolls. This is about fans calling him out on his performances and he doesn't like it.