5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stw2022

At the end of the 1999 season David Beckham had only just turned 24 and had played 205 senior appearances for us.

At the end of this season Marcus Rashford is a few months shy of 24 and has 271 appearances for us.

Different players but Beckham was considered an established, competent, fully developed footballer. Not because he’s an exceptional player (though he was) but because considering someone with the level of experience he had at the time playing the number of games he had at the top level as being developing in basic areas of the game would rightly be considered fecking ridiculous. “He’s only played 205 times of us and he’s only 23” was absurd then and “he’s only played 271 times for us and he’s 23 and still developing” is ridiculous now

Just look at the language around Rashford and how so many still talks about him as someone in the early stages of his development. Bull. He should be developed as a footballer. Of course he could still improve but he should be a fully-formed, competent, reliable footballer by now and not have everyone still talking about him in ways that is indistinguishable to how they talk about a 18 year old novice

Frank White

At the end of the 1999 season David Beckham had only just turned 24 and had played 205 senior appearances for us.

At the end of this season Marcus Rashford is a few months shy of 24 and has 271 appearances for us.

Different players but Beckham was considered an established, competent, fully developed footballer. Not because he’s an exceptional player (though he was) but because considering someone with the level of experience he had at the time playing the number of games he had at the top level as being developing in basic areas of the game would rightly be considered fecking ridiculous. “He’s only played 205 times of us and he’s only 23” was absurd then and “he’s only played 271 times for us and he’s 23 and still developing” is ridiculous now

Just look at the language around Rashford and how so many still talks about him as someone in the early stages of his development. Bull. He should be developed as a footballer. Of course he could still improve but he should be a fully-formed, competent, reliable footballer by now and not have everyone still talking about him in ways that is indistinguishable to how they talk about a 18 year old novice
You’re really on one today regarding Ole and Rashford huh? Your whole Saturday has been spent going in on them :lol:

where are you seeing people use Rashfords age as a way to defend him? The however many pages since the final have been nothing but pure disdain for the lad.

stw2022

You’re really on one today regarding Ole and Rashford huh? Your whole Saturday has been spent going in on them :lol:

where are you seeing people use Rashfords age as a way to defend him? The however many pages since the final have been nothing but pure disdain for the lad.
I don’t have disdain for him I have disdain for this idea everyone still talks about him in terms as if he’s a young lad coming through when every single one of his peers are far ahead of him.

He’s 24 near enough and his use of the ball isn’t even competent on a consistent basis. I point that out and apparently I hate him. Refusing to deny reality isn’t disdain. We need to get rid of this idea he’s going to become a top player. Its okay to notice things.

Sancho, Grealish - they don’t have series of games where they look brand new nor do Dortmund or Villa fans have to defend diabolical performances on regular basis by citing their age. As a prospect he’s not being left behind, I’m afraid he’s been left behind.

Decent player who will contribute but he’s never going to be leading light for club that stands chance of winning the league

Last edited:

Frank White

I don’t have disdain for him I have disdain for this idea everyone still talks about him in terms as if he’s a young lad coming through when every single one of his peers are far ahead of him.

He’s 24 near enough and his use of the ball isn’t even competent on a consistent basis. I point that out and apparently I hate him. Refusing to deny reality isn’t disdain. We need to get rid of this idea he’s going to become a top player. Its okay to notice things.

Sancho, Grealish - they don’t have series of games where they look brand new nor do Dortmund or Villa fans have to defend diabolical performances on regular basis by citing their age. As a prospect he’s not being left behind, I’m afraid he’s been left behind.

Decent player who will contribute but he’s never going to be leading light for club that stands chance of winning the league
We’ll that’s just not true regarding Sancho at least. During Sancho’s awful patch this season you’d go onto any of the major Dortmund sites and you’ll see people claiming age as a factor for his drop off, amongst other reason like the transfer saga screwed with his head etc…

No doubt we’ll be doing with Greenwood too after his next form drop and so on.

TheReligion

Abusive
Rashford needs to get himself sorted over the summer and switch on. He was absolutely garbage the other night and a real let down. Said the right things after the game but needs to get back to doing the right things on the pitch.

Raveneye

If Marcus needs to undergo surgery for his injuries (he talked about needing it for his shoulder back in March) then Sancho may well be employed on the left next season while Rashford recovers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wish he'd sit out the euros but it's never going to happen. Since the restart last year, it's been a full year of absolutely relentless fixtures twice a week without a break. Should give him a couple of months off to recover after, probably plan to start playing him again in October. A few weeks, or 1 month and back to training just isn't enough.

Chairman Steve

He’s in the England squad... despite being injured for the latter half of the season just gone :houllier:

So is he embellishing these injuries? Are they even real? Is he needlessly martyring himself or being advised badly?

Idxomer

It was obvious he was going, I'm glad Greenwood is taking a break after the last 2 seasons.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Has there ever been a player who after the last game of the season comes out and says he's been playing injured all year but still goes to the international tournament that same summer?

Is it safe to assume for all of next season the injury/ies will still be affecting his play?

Posh Red

He’s in the England squad... despite being injured for the latter half of the season just gone :houllier:

So is he embellishing these injuries? Are they even real? Is he needlessly martyring himself or being advised badly?
Why would he lie about carrying injuries? Also hasn’t it been reported by independent journalists?

tjb

Oh well, getting Sancho will allow us to give the required surgery to get ready. He should worry though. He may not have a spot when he returns.

bosnian_red

Hes a young footballer who is playing through knocks that won't go away without a prolonged break or surgery leading to a prolonged break because he loves his club/country and wants to do his bit rather than sitting out because of constant niggles. Some people let the niggle keep them out. Others play and struggle through them and figure in the off season they'll handle it. It's weird to expect any professional athlete to do differently, as these are probably the most competitive people in the world.

bosnian_red

Has there ever been a player who after the last game of the season comes out and says he's been playing injured all year but still goes to the international tournament that same summer?

Is it safe to assume for all of next season the injury/ies will still be affecting his play?
He just needs a break after the euros. Presumably will have a scope clean up after the euros and then a prolonged off season break and join up with us in September compared to the normal start of the season in August.

KW2006

Seems that he puts the national team above the club(not saying that this is wrong). Thats why he played the latter half of the season with lots of hesitation and reservation, because he don't want to aggravate the injury, otherwise he risks missing the Euro, and Obama won't talk to him anymore. But surely he would still go to the Euro and play 100% with the injury.

On the opposite side, Greenwood is also injured but played 100% for the club, and then withdraw from the nation squad. Not saying who is good and who is bad, just different choices.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Seems that he puts the national team above the club(not saying that this is wrong). Thats why he played the latter half of the season with lots of hesitation and reservation, because he don't want to aggravate the injury, otherwise he risks missing the Euro, and Obama won't talk to him anymore. But surely he would still go to the Euro and play 100% with the injury.

On the opposite side, Greenwood is also injured but played 100% for the club, and then withdraw from the nation squad. Not saying who is good and who is bad, just different choices.
Whereas back in reality Southgate probably told Ole/Greenwood that he was planning to play him very little or not at all anyway and they agreed it was better then to stay home.
Whereas he was always planning with Rashford. If Rashford has been playing for us then he is also going to play for England, as simple as that. And if both Southgate and Rashford are fine with it (which was expected) then I don‘t see any issue at all.

Posh Red

Just wow

-Supreme-

Direct quote from Ole in early April this year regarding Rashford's injuries.

"I’m not sure,‘ Solskjaer said when asked about Rashford. ‘He got caught with a tackle so he had to come off.

‘Let’s see how he goes again. Marcus doesn’t want to miss any games or any minutes, but he had to come off.

I don’t pick players when we know there is a risk,’ he added.

‘There’s always a risk when you step out on to the pitch, but if the physio says it’s too much of a risk I would never pick him.

Now, Marcus joined in training this morning and let’s see how he reacts.

‘if there’s any risk of making this worse, I’m not going to overplay him. His back has recovered"

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He just needs a break after the euros. Presumably will have a scope clean up after the euros and then a prolonged off season break and join up with us in September compared to the normal start of the season in August.
I hope it is as you say and he gets a break that is enough to get him over these injuries once and for all. I fear he will play in August though. I'll be shocked if he doesn't start at least one of our first two league matches.

bosnian_red

I hope it is as you say and he gets a break that is enough to get him over these injuries once and for all. I fear he will play in August though. I'll be shocked if he doesn't start at least one of our first two league matches.
It's so unnecessary IMO. Even with no signings can do:

Cavani
Pogba Bruno Greenwood​

Or if we also want Pogba and Bruno to get an extra break as they'll likely go deep in the tournament, swap them with Van de Beek and Dan James, or put Amad in there. It's fine for a few games for the long term benefit. I agree they'll probably be rushed back, but it'll do more harm than good.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Obama spoke to Rashford because of a book publisher, nothing to do with the euros(That is Southgates decision). Your hypothetical will not garner much if any support on here I reckon but it's a possibility I will give you that.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
If he has a crap first half of the season due to some niggling injures i really hope he doesn't dare to complain to the media about it

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is a top player but is burned out. He needs a good rest.

If we get sancho, i would play sancho on the left for about the first five to seven games of the season and give Rashford a rest. He is absolutely burned out.

El Jefe

If he has a crap first half of the season due to some niggling injures i really hope he doesn't dare to complain to the media about it
No need to he has an army if posters in here that will do that for him.

Going to the Euros, means he's physically able to play, at least to a standard he isn't a hindrance to the team. If himself, Ole and Southgate think he's good enough to play I don't want to hear about these niggles again.

Zlatattack

I hope he pulls out of the squad. It's daft for him to go, especially with his injuries/fatigue.

Besides he's bang out of form.

lex talionis

If Rashford is going to join the national team, I hope he at least gets to play. Going through training sessions without actually playing is the last thing he needs right now. Ideally, he'd sit this one out but the allure of being at the Euros is understandable, but not if he's going to watch others there's really no point in bothering with it.

SAFMUTD

I think he has all the physical attributes to truly be worldclass. I mean he's got the speed and technique that most players can only dream of, can't help to think that we have somehow wasted his talent. All hypotethical and what ifs but imagine him under Klopp, his speed would be terrifying.

stw2022

He constantly runs into players, dead ends and is increasingly the place our advancing play goes to die.

Yes I know this proves I “hate United”, or something but there’s almost something akin to Stockholm syndrome at play here when we’re conditioned to think there’s anything close world class about him or even that his technique is the envy of elite players

Proof of this will hopefully be when Greenwood further kicks on and leaves him behind and we add genuine quality in the summer. Only fear then is that the manager will still insist on overplaying him and anyone who dares notice the gulf in quality between him and team mates will be accused of being glad Sir Matt is dead, or something.

Varun

Staff
If Southgate picks the right team, he'll get plenty of rest regardless. Grealish is the much better option on the left.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He constantly runs into players, dead ends and is increasingly the place our advancing play goes to die.

Yes I know this proves I “hate United”, or something but there’s almost something akin to Stockholm syndrome at play here when we’re conditioned to think there’s anything close world class about him or even that his technique is the envy of elite players

Proof of this will hopefully be when Greenwood further kicks on and leaves him behind and we add genuine quality in the summer. Only fear then is that the manager will still insist on overplaying him and anyone who dares notice the gulf in quality between him and team mates will be accused of being glad Sir Matt is dead, or something.
Greenwood plays so shit so many times and people hug him like he is their kid.

Greenwood barely has a dribbling ability to get past a player.

I like both him and Rashford- but the way people talk about Greenwood as some perfect player at the age of 20 and Rashford as some useless player at the age of 23 is simply low IQ.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Relentless :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Greenwood plays so shit so many times and people hug him like he is their kid.

Greenwood barely has a dribbling ability to get past a player.

I like both him and Rashford- but the way people talk about Greenwood as some perfect player at the age of 20 and Rashford as some useless player at the age of 23 is simply low IQ.
We don't have to shit our other players to defend one, just laugh at the WUMs whose day won't start without "I hate Rashford" posts. It's weird.

stw2022

Relentless :lol:
There’s a number of posters who use that emoji a lot when they disagree with someone.

If they’re that offended by opinion of others why not just write their thoughts on paper and put them in the draw. Certain percentage of forums seem always to be filled with people who struggle with disagreements. The majority seem to love that emoji

Constant amazement that people are sharing opinions that may differ in a thread designed for people to share their opinions must be exhausting. But there’s definitely a sarcastic or maybe passive aggressive use of :lol: that a small percentage here use a LOT

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
There’s a number of posters who use that emoji a lot when they disagree with someone.

If they’re that offended by opinion of others why not just write their thoughts on paper and put them in the draw. Certain percentage of forums seem always to be filled with people who struggle with disagreements. The majority seem to love that emoji

Constant amazement that people are sharing opinions that may differ in a thread designed for people to share their opinions must be exhausting
Constant amazement that people who share their opinion on forum think that they have posted some 'blog with comments disabled' and they won't receive any comments/disagreements and few posts who find opinion as laughable.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

I agree with you.

We had the same shite with Anderson. There is a point when If you're not delivering the goods then you should be dropped. Doesn't seem to happen at United anymore.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If Southgate picks the right team, he'll get plenty of rest regardless. Grealish is the much better option on the left.
England are gonna probably play a 3-5-2 or something so both Grealish or Rashford probably wouldn't find a place.

stw2022

I agree with you.

We had the same shite with Anderson. There is a point when If you're not delivering the goods then you should be dropped. Doesn't seem to happen at United anymore.
Sure and I think there’s a lot of people where their absolute default position will be any criticism is anti-United.

For me Rashford is nowhere close to being an elite player and I think recently someone said it best when they said if you took a tape of his games this season went back two or three years and showed fans the player he would become, most would be disappointed

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Utter utter bollox. It’s already been pointed out that his goals and assists in the league over the last two seasons are ahead of all but a handful of world class players, who are several years older than him. He is quite literally ahead of all his peers. The exact opposite of what you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.