5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAME DIOUF 32

I don't think he was being selfish, I don't think he was confident enough he could make the pass. He berated Pogba for not giving him an option too.

UncleBob

I don't think he was being selfish, I don't think he was confident enough he could make the pass. He berated Pogba for not giving him an option too.
:lol:

And he didn't have a go at Pogba, he complained to Tierney about Fabinho

Andersons Dietician

We need to stop moving him around and just stick with him on the left wing.

I have no idea why we keep trying him on the right and then up front, he just doesn't understand how to play those positions.

I get that Ole wanted him to break the offside trap and be a long ball threat - but he would have done that way more successfully from the left wing as he times his runs so much better.

Play him on the left or don't bother playing him at all, because the rest of his game isn't good enough lately to warrant carrying him.
He doesn’t really understand how to play on the left either though. He makes the same errors there and costs us multiple good oppertunities becuase he’s so he’ll bent on coming inside and taking a shot all the time.

I think a stint on the right will probably be the best thing for him long term honestly. Force him to have to learn how to be a team player and adapt to different situations.

As for why they were shifted yesterday, Martial is a better and more diligent defender who tracks back and tries to help in defence the other one doesn’t.

Rashford has blistering pace and acceleration and if allowed space he’s more than likely going to cause issues. Against Liverpool you would assume they will play higher up the pitch leaving space for Rashford to exploit. He just could never get his timing right in the game.

He has everything there to be a sensational player and at some point he’s surely going to put it all together. Same for Martial really. We all know they are extremely talented but neither are quite at it yet.

Mcking

Someone should tell him that you are supposed to get behind the defensive line before starting the run.

Looking at that clip of the counter with Cavani, he should probably have attempted a pass, but I don't think a good one was ever on. Cavani just wasn't quick enough for the one through the middle, and the defender was easily matching him.

The only opening I see there was when Cavani made the reverse run, but he is very close to the defender, and a pass that would beat the defender to release him would have sent him wide.

I have seen Martial and Rashford in similar positions before, and Rashford usually produces a good pass - our second goal against Everton, the most recent example. Maybe he was not very decisive after choosing to go infield, but his decision not to try and feed Cavani might not be a colossal feck up like some are making it out to be.

pseudo_canadian

He will never be an elite or even great player. Consistently abysmal decision making and the way he trots around on the pitch like he's prime Cristiano is beyond obnoxious.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's tired and needs a Rest. He's carrying an injury. He's not fit. He's exhausted. He's playing out of position.. It's the midfield's fault. Alien City supporters are controlling his mind to stop him performing.
If he just stopped being greedy. He needs to learn.blah, blah, blah.....
ROTFL.
I've been supporting Utd since the 1960's and I genuinely believe I'm seeing one of the worst forwards (and there have been others) to put on a Utd jersey.
Crazy.

UncleBob

Someone should tell him that you are supposed to get behind the defensive line before starting the run.

Looking at that clip of the counter with Cavani, he should probably have attempted a pass, but I don't think a good one was ever on. Cavani just wasn't quick enough for the one through the middle, and the defender was easily matching him.

The only opening I see there was when Cavani made the reverse run, but he is very close to the defender, and a pass that would beat the defender to release him would have sent him wide.

I have seen Martial and Rashford in similar positions before, and Rashford usually produces a good pass - our second goal against Everton, the most recent example. Maybe he was not very decisive after choosing to go infield, but his decision not to try and feed Cavani might not be a colossal feck up like some are making it out to be.
It's a colossal feck up. Hope this helps....Rashford has nowhere to run, the right side is blocked off by Robertson. Either he attempts to play in Cavani or he advances and plays it out to Pogba. it's fecking mind boggling that we go from being in such an excellent position at a counter to not even attempting a finish

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He's tired and needs a Rest. He's carrying an injury. He's not fit. He's exhausted. He's playing out of position.. It's the midfield's fault. Alien City supporters are controlling his mind to stop him performing.
If he just stopped being greedy. He needs to learn.blah, blah, blah.....
ROTFL.
I've been supporting Utd since the 1960's and I genuinely believe I'm seeing one of the worst forwards (and there have been others) to put on a Utd jersey.
:lol:

Feck sake.

Mcking

It's a colossal feck up. Hope this helps....Rashford has nowhere to run, the right side is blocked off by Robertson. Either he attempts to play in Cavani or he advances and plays it out to Pogba. it's fecking mind boggling that we go from being in such an excellent position at a counter to not even attempting a finish
It was well defended initially. He should have passed responsibility to Pogba, but I was talking about a potential pass to Cavani.

Silverman

Cristiano Ronaldo is probably the most dedicated footballer playing - yet he also does social media, does various advertising campaigns, owns a hotel brand, owns a gym brand, models his own underwear etc. Has zero impact on his on pitch performance.

Rashford is a completely different player to what he was when he broke through. Through hard work on the training ground and in the gym. Only last season he was carrying us playing with a broken back for a big chunk of it and playing with injections.

I'm not saying he's above criticism but I don't think it's his character or work ethic that is the issue. He's just not a top class attacking forward for a team that is now aspiring to win trophies and beat big teams consistently.
I said that I had no problem with him enjoying his free time if he works hard. Ronaldo is an example of this but I felt that his performances dropped when he seemed to be messing around on social media with Lingard etc.
If you look at this thread, you will see countless supporters talking about what seems like his lack of work rate off the ball.
I'm a big fan of Rashford and not hating on him and I hope he turns it around but for me, he doesn't do enough off the ball. Martial used to get slaughtered for it. No reason why Rashford should be let off the hook.

Kaos

I'd be annoyed if he starts ahead of Cavani in the next game. The latter has actually looked dangerous everytime he's played, Rashford on the other hand trots around the pitch like he's a perennial Ballon d'Or winner, when he's done nothing yet in his career to prove it. Frankly, I'm sick of him killing our counterattacks with his abysmal decision making, and all round selfish play. I hope he doesn't become to Ole what Rooney was to Van Gaal - undroppable.

acnumber9

That was my thought. I think he just thought Liverpool’s defenders would fall for that pass and the space would open up for him. He wasn’t very good, and generally has been in poor form lately but the absolute shite being written here is ridiculous. ‘He’s ruining every attack’ Except of course for setting up the winner in our last game, and scoring our only goal two games before that. His form can improve massively, but he’s still been vital in getting the points we have.

city-puma

Right. If martial, Greenwood, and Rashford were all on, that opportunity would be a lot more interesting. I don’t have video to watch replay, but it seems to me pogba made the run a little late? If he can get up the pitch earlier, we would have three on three. Pool defended really well at that moment with three fast players forming the close triangle to sniff out Rashford‘a route and option.

HowieC

He is absolutely mediocre in every single aspect other than pace for this level. Still fans will blow smoke up his ass and feed his inflated ego

city-puma

It’s also worth to pointing out that cavani has not formed enough chemistry with Rashford and/or martial. It’s probably another reason Rashford didn’t attempt splitting pass. If it’s martial instead of cavani, very likely Rashford would produce that pass, as we have seen so many times between them.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Pool defended really well at that moment with three fast players forming the close triangle to sniff out Rashford‘a route and option.
Theres no doubt they defend Rashford really well. This however doesn’t forgive him not passing to Cavani or later Pogba. The whole way through that sequence Cavani is the danger man. It’s just a case of can Rashford get the ball to him.

He decides to keep driving to try and get a shot off and it never materialised due too good defending from Liverpool. It was highly unlikely it was ever going to open up for him anyway. If he lays that out wide or behind himself to Pogba, Pogba again now has the option to find the danger man that is still Cavani that is unmarked in the box with space and time between him and the nearest defender.

Even if Cavani is unsuccessful in getting a shot off, the pool defence would have scrambled across to block him anyway again leaving space now for maybe Pogba and Rashford to get on something.

Even if he passed it to Pogba one of those Liverpool defenders would have had to go to Pogba and one would probably have automatically started heading towards blocking some sort of effort from Cavani.

Basically if he does literally anything else other than what he did it’s still a chance for the team to score.

Andersons Dietician

It’s also worth to pointing out that cavani has not formed enough chemical with Rashford and/or martial. It’s probably another reason Rashford didn’t attempt splitting pass. If it’s martial instead of cavani, very likely Rashford would produce that pass, as we have seen so many times between them.
Vice versa if it’s Martial and Cavani Martial plays the pass Like he’s already shown when playing with Cavani. Chemistry has nothing to do with it either. Someone makes the correct run and he sees it and decides he’d rather go himself and try a shot as he so often does. This isn’t a one time occurrence this happens countless times in multiple games where he doesn’t pass to people in better positions.

Its something he really really needs to improve.

Counterfactual

As much as I dislike saying it, that was excellent defending and a bit of poor decision making. I think Rashford expected a chance to get a shot away, perhaps because a defender would have to follow Cavani, but they just hustled him out of it. Even when he'd lost the opportunity to play in Cavani, he should've still used Pogba.

HowieC

Don’t laugh at rashford while he isn’t doing well. it’s unbecoming.

Born2Lose

Similar moment to yesterday at 05:10 in this, he's a brainless footballer, and I'm starting to think he's a bit too much of a favourite of Ole's to ever get the bollocking he deserves for being so selfish.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Sorry if this is posted already. Anyway, what was his thinking?? Cavani would be one on one there

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its a single moment in a football game. People are going in way too much discussion over it. You can see what he was hoping for, that split second hesitation from the defender to open up a shot for himself. Ended up running into a cul de sac, which IMO is a con of him being on the left as it happens way more often than when he plays on the right. Not his best game of course, but I love how people jump in and start with the "not good enough" bullshit. Hes a brilliant player and has shown it for the past 1.5 years, with consistency.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Its a single moment in a football game. People are going in way too much discussion over it. You can see what he was hoping for, that split second hesitation from the defender to open up a shot for himself. Ended up running into a cul de sac, which IMO is a con of him being on the left as it happens way more often than when he plays on the right. Not his best game of course, but I love how people jump in and start with the "not good enough" bullshit. Hes a brilliant player and has shown it for the past 1.5 years, with consistency.
Nailed it! It happens, he had a good idea and it didn’t work out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Of course he is brilliant. He is one of our most important players. And because of that is all this fuss. You want that your best player stop doing same mistake game after game.
Bad game happens, bad pass happens, bad form happens but i am worried about his decision making and selfishness this year.

Last year, him and Martial were what are Kane- Son this year. Assist after assist to each other. This year we lack that.

city-puma

The similar situation when playing wolf. He took the responsibility himself to give a try and it won us three points. Everything is uncertain until it eventually pans out.

MattyB1986

The best ball was the one to Pogba to then play in cavani after dragging defenders away.
Yes. Having just seen this again, Rashford done all of the hardwork dragging the defenders away, a simple ball to Pogba would've see Cavani with basically an open net. So frustrating.

Silas

The similar situation when playing wolf. He took the responsibility himself to give a try and it won us three points. Everything is uncertain until it eventually pans out.
Nothing like it. This was a two/three on two counter.

United58

He seems exhausted, anyone who's played the game knows your decision-making is affected when you're struggling physically. Hopefully Ole rests him, Bruno etc. during the cup match on Sunday - I'd love to win the cup, but the league is more important.

city-puma

Nothing like it. This was a two/three on two counter.
He could pass to cavani because cavani has made the space in the middle with several wolf defenders very deep to their goal. Rashford decided to give a drive himself. If passed to cavani, the chance to score is probably higher. But no one knows. That’s why I said the situation is similar. Choosing different options is a probability thing if it works out but nothing can be deemed completely wrong at the moment the decision is makes.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm starting to think he's a bit too much of a favourite of Ole's to ever get the bollocking he deserves for being so selfish.
Or Ole likes his players to go for goal more than most managers. A lot of Solskjaer's goals came from shooting from positions many players wouldn't.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
He will never be an elite or even great player. Consistently abysmal decision making and the way he trots around on the pitch like he's prime Cristiano is beyond obnoxious.
Good grief man, he is a damn good player. He runs hot and cold right now, which isn't uncommon for young players. Hoping that he can find more consistancy as he matures over the next few years.

city-puma

Yes. Having just seen this again, Rashford done all of the hardwork dragging the defenders away, a simple ball to Pogba would've see Cavani with basically an open net. So frustrating.
Pogba is too far behind. I don’t think Rashford knew that option.

eire-red

Ole needs to stop moving Rashford around, he's trying too hard to shoehorn Rashford, Cavani and Martial into the starting lineup.

Rashford is the best from the left, and Martial and Cavani should compete for the CF role. RW is the bane of our existence as per usual, but Rashford from the right and Martial from the left doesn't work either.

Rashford was terrible against Liverpool, but we've seen plenty of performances to know he's not a natural striker, and shouldn't have started there. Even when Rashford moved to the left, we looked better as a team without him necessarily improving his performance.

His ability to time his deep runs from LW into that space between the CB and RB when Martial drops deep is so hard to defend against. West Ham, Newcastle, Chelsea last season, Norwich last season, SHU, his double against Liverpool at OT, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting are goals he's scored occupying those spaces.

Him and Bruno are our biggest attacking threats when we set up that way. Bruno, Rashford and Shaw combine so well down the left, I just think Ole has been a little naive in his team selection, trying to select the best team 'on paper'. I think Ole needs to stop giving off the impression that he has a group of talented and flexible forwards who can play anywhere off the front line.

This isn't the case. Rashford is a specialist in that LW position, I don't know what we're going to do for the RW position because Martial is garbage there, but he's not much better from left and offers barely a fraction of what Rashford offers from the left. Our front 3 is a conundrum that Ole still hasn't cracked. Maybe Diallo is the answer, but clearly not right now.

One thing I know for certain is that we're not going to get any consistency from Rashford when he's playing a different position every week. I'm not in any way trying to excuse his poor performance against Liverpool, but you don't move your most prolific forward from his favoured position to accommodate Cavani and Martial, who combined have less goals than Rashford. It doesn't make sense to me.

SAFMUTD

He needs competition for his place, we've seen how much good it has done this season to De Gea and Shaw. I dont doubt he's focused on performing but having a player in the squad that can actually take your place its the best way to bring out the best version of a player.

If I was Ole I'd push for a striker and a RW in the summer window. Put Martial back on the left wing and make him compete with Rashford for the starting place, let Cavani fight the new signing for the striker position and FFS let us have a decent option on the right.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That was my thought. I think he just thought Liverpool’s defenders would fall for that pass and the space would open up for him. He wasn’t very good, and generally has been in poor form lately but the absolute shite being written here is ridiculous. ‘He’s ruining every attack’ Except of course for setting up the winner in our last game, and scoring our only goal two games before that. His form can improve massively, but he’s still been vital in getting the points we have.
I agree he’s been contributing while not hitting anything near top form but he could and should still be doing better.. That surely bodes well. Himself and martial really really need to stop trying to score the perfect goal and when the other has the ball make an actual dangerous run instead of showing for it to feet with 3 players around him 25 yards from goal

-Supreme-

I really dont understand why he didnt pass the ball, it acutally makes my chest feel tight thinking about it again.

I love how Cavani looked incredibly annoyed and stared at the coaches on the sideline, I hope this will be discussed after the match and worked on in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.