Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverman

Antics? Not hungry enough?

I'm not sure what you're alluding to, but the only issue is his inconsistent decision making on the pitch and lack of ability in tight spaces. No need to insinuate non-existent behavioural issues.
Antics as in worrying too much about social media, messing about and not working hard enough. I have no problem with someone enjoying their down time but as long as it's coupled with a real drive to improve.

I disagree, I think his work ethic is nowhere near good enough when he steps on that pitch.

Oldyella

Needs a few games out of the side, see if it shakes him into a bit of form.

Mainoldo

Needs to do better on the ball. He needs to improve his game or learn how to be a striker.

giggsysupforit

Antics? Not hungry enough?

I'm not sure what you're alluding to, but the only issue is his inconsistent decision making on the pitch and lack of ability in tight spaces. No need to insinuate non-existent behavioural issues.
someone should serve him one of those substandard school meals, he’d soon be chomping at the bit again...

seriously though, he’s a top class talent, just needs time

Mainoldo

He's a young player that needs to improve his decision making. That is all.
It is and it isn’t. He’s 23? He should be sorting that out by now with his first team minutes in the bank. He’s technically 25 based on minutes.

C'est Moi Cantona

This. Said it in the Rashford and Martial thread, they both hugely struggle with consistency, we have seen what they can do in a number of purple patches. It's why having someone like Cavani around to for a couple of years will be hugely beneficial to them, but most importantly the team.

I have faith they will still come good.
I dunno, I think Cavani will show us even more that Rashford and Martial aren't elite strikers, and so either Greenwood will prove to be one, or we'll finally buy a long term one, personally longer term I'd expect Martial to be sold, and Rashford to be a really decent player for us, but ultimately not quite hit the heights people think he might.

bsCallout

It is and it isn’t. He’s 23? He should be sorting that out by now with his first team minutes in the bank. He’s technically 25 based on minutes.
My point is he isn't as good or as bad as people are making out. He has an area of his game he needs to improve, like all players. There is this obsession with making out a player is awful if they aren't Elite level.

He has another 10 years of improving.

Foxbatt

No his decision making is poor and mostly poor. Yes he runs all the time and works hard but he is way too selfish most of the time.

Mainoldo

My point is he isn't as good or as bad as people are making out. He has an area of his game he needs to improve, like all players. There is this obsession with making out a player is awful if they aren't Elite level.

He has another 10 years of improving.
Okay well you are talking about a specific bunch. Probably the Rashford army. But in general he’s not learning fast with his overall game. You say 10 years but I don’t see what we get more special than what he’s showing now in 10 years he’s only going to lose pace. Which is why he should be sorting these things out from now. He can’t be in and out of games in the position that he plays. He’ll end up being a liability. If we want to be at the top that is.

KD6-3.7

People still say his only 23 but his been a first team player now for a while now and I see no difference in his decision making now then how it was when he was 18.

Doesn’t have the ability to be world class, someone else in the comments mentioned about all the stick Nani used to get despite being twice the player and it’s true and just goes to show how many leeway being a homegrown/academy player gives them.

Reactions: Crackers

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I believe in his potential and ability. On his day he's close to a world class attacking force. A couple of seasons ago though the kind of Rashford we saw today was playing week in and week out - but an even worse version. Someone made a thread about him needing to be taken down a peg or two and then somewhat bizarrely that thread was locked and everyone had to agree Rashford was the bees knees again. But I thought at the time that thread was perfectly reasonable. Sometimes his attitude just stinks and you need a Roy Keane type figure or someone who is basically gonna let him know that if he does shit like that again hes gonna get kneecapped or something. SAF would absolutely tear him to pieces. So disappointing to see some of these elements come back in to his game, the little strops when he doesnt get the ball he wants etc. Nothing worse than an overly selfish player. Needs to take a leaf out of Kane's book who is turning into the ultimate scorer and team player. Really hope he sorts it out because he is letting us down. Rashford the team player is the one that will become world class - not this version.

We learned long ago he lacks the strikers instinct and needs to play out wide. He's effective and teams are scared of him, but why can't he learn when and where to make a pass? His rabbit in the headlights act every time he has time to realise he's in a good position is why he'll never be our number 9, but it cant be the reason he doesn't work out wide too.

Plymouth Red

I fear through no fault of his own that he’s become a player with a public profile which makes managing him more complicated than usual. The deserved MBE, the press coverage of his charitable works, calls from the PM and so on all take up a portion of his time and focus which other players are not having to deal with.
Maybe he isn’t resting as much? Who knows beyond Rashford himself.
The other recent news which hasn’t helped was the astonishing valuation given to him by CIES
Football Observatory. Being described as the best player in the world could give someone a distorted perspective of their actual ability and maybe make them more selfish than usual.
I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest these circumstances may make it harder to manage him within the squad. I hope it’s not the case, though.

kundalini

Continually being offside at this level is simply ridiculous. Free-kick into the wall. Wasted a promising counter-attack by failing to pass the ball. Awful performance.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We learned long ago he lacks the strikers instinct and needs to play out wide. He's effective and teams are scared of him, but why can't he learn when and where to make a pass? His rabbit in the headlights act every time he has time to realise he's in a good position is why he'll never be our number 9, but it cant be the reason he doesn't work out wide too.
I just think he’s badly out of form. When he hit a really good vein of form last season there were none of these issues. Then he broke his back and hasn’t really hit those heights ever since. With a particularly terrible level of performance this last month or so. Hard to know why but I’m starting to warm to the idea that he’s not getting the downtime, mentally, that elite athletes need to be at their best. Although that doesn’t explain his patchy finish to last season (which I put down to lingering effects of the back injury at the time)

UncleBob

This was the only area where he could have played the pass. Fabinho was 100% expecting it. There is no way Cavani is going to beat Fabinho in a foot race to the ball. If the pass goes through Cavani is either going to get ushered wide or intercepted.

Fabinho is looking at Rashford and Rashford only.

UncleBob

F

Fabinho is only so far in now in the 2nd pic because Rashford is taking it wide. The pic is fooling you. Look at where they are to the box.
:lol:

I honestly can't grasp how it's even remotely possible to look at the video below and conclude that Rashford made the right choice in ignoring Cavanis run.

It's a simple fecking pass to give Cavani the chance for a one vs one

Banana Republic

He's an appallingly lazy player now, and has been all season.

Walks through games looking bored. Does no pressing, no defensive work - never tracks back, pulls out of 50/50s, doesn't even CONTEST 50/50 headers, doesn't fight for loose balls......

......stood out this season as having a complete lack of drive, intensity and desire.......
100% correct.
People are focussing on his poor play on the ball, which is all true and bad enough, but his off the ball work is worst and almost nonexistent.
No effort, no pressing, no attempts to win a ball or do his bit to help get back possession. Poor support play. Looking disinterested and lolling around like a bystander.
It‘s not just this season though. He’s been like this for a couple of seasons, but it’s often overlooked because he’s had spells of good form and has banged in some important goals.
He’s also been dogshit in certain games, but popped up and scored a goal and maybe had an assist and nobody seems to comment on his worrying aspects during that particular game.

I just think he’s badly out of form. When he hit a really good vein of form last season there were none of these issues.....
Oh yes those issues were all there, right enough.
It’s just that when he’s been scoring, or putting in a few decent cameos, the negative stuff is ignored, or not even recognised by the rose tinted wearers.

I don’t like dissing our own players and it may seem harsh towards Rashford, but we have to be honest.
As a few others have posted, in this thread, today’s post match thread and in other threads; we’re not going to be winning any major titles if we think a player like Marcus is good enough to be one of our main men, or an automatic first pick.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Rashford not been great last few weeks. But what else is there? Martial barely made an impact today either.

Rashford has 14 goals to Martial's 5 this season.

Manny

Grammar Police
Even as he's about to run it wide, there was still a chance for a backheel for Pogba to run on to with all the defenders running away from goal, but he fecked that too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He needs competition, he's playing like someone who knows his place is safe, Solskjaer only substitutes him as a last resort. I really like the lad but his performances have been unacceptable for quite a few games now.

Andersons Dietician

See what bugs me here is I just want to know his thought process. Clearly he is thinking I’m going to use the Cavani run to open up space. Fabinho doesn’t fall for that. So after that initial failure surely he has to realise Pogba is now the best option.

Instead he just keeps running meaning he now has no options other than a miracle. It’s like he doesn’t understand the concept that maybe if he passes the ball he might get it back in a better position to take a shot.

I’m glad Cavani acted like that because Rashford has done him a few times like that, someone needs to have a word and even though the same has been done to Martial I just don’t feel like he would call Rashford out. Maybe Cavani will.
It’s for his own good really.

acnumber9

On that run I think he just backs himself that his pace will get him away from the defender and Fabinho defended it perfectly really. The Pogba pass wasn’t really on because he couldn’t get ahead of Rashford. His options were, pass to Cavani and hope he has the pace to get away or run it himself. He was made to look stupid by great defending though.

Heinzesight

It was great defending from Fabinho.

His decision making is erratic which can be worked on and I’m confident he can improve that. But the thing that annoys me with Rashford as others have said is the half-arsed pressing and lack of determination to get the ball back. That’s nothing to do with talent, it’s basic effort and he needs to put more of a shift in off the ball. And stop sulking.

HowieC

I just think he’s badly out of form. When he hit a really good vein of form last season there were none of these issues. Then he broke his back and hasn’t really hit those heights ever since. With a particularly terrible level of performance this last month or so. Hard to know why but I’m starting to warm to the idea that he’s not getting the downtime, mentally, that elite athletes need to be at their best. Although that doesn’t explain his patchy finish to last season (which I put down to lingering effects of the back injury at the time)
Alot of excuses as always. Perhaps he’s just mediocre?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It's inexcusable not playing Cavani through in that situation.

I think Rashford needs some time out. Boris has got in his head.
Shut up you clown. Nothing to do with it.

He needs to sort out the selfishness though. He hasn’t got the clinical edge to be that selfish just yet. His first touch lets him down too often. So so fecking frustrating and we’ve just got nothing going for us when Bruno’s off par.

The Oracle

Good political brain (although some would argue it all comes back to brand Rashford in the end £££)

Bad footballing brain (23 years of age and a professional footballer playing for one of the most famous clubs in World football, and he still hasn't grasped the offside rule. He also doesn't know when to pass the ball).

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Some players, whilst talented, are just always very inconsistent. Quaresma is an extreme example. I've always felt that's the sort of player he'll be. There's basics that he's just never learnt and a coolness on the ball that he's just never developed. Everything is 100 mph and laces through the ball. There's no elegance or guile to him that would have seen him become a truly top class player.

InfiniteBoredom

Good political brain (although some would argue it all comes back to brand Rashford in the end £££)

Bad footballing brain (23 years of age and a professional footballer playing for one of the most famous clubs in World football, and he still hasn't grasped the offside rule. He also doesn't know when to pass the ball).
There’s nothing political about trying to get kids fed.

I have always been a bit of a Rashford skeptic but some of you don’t half going overboard when it comes to scrutinizing him.

RC89

What continues to shock me about Rashford is his inability to even try to beat the offside trap. He rarely tries to arc his run and bombs ahead of defenders without consideration of the offside trap. It shocks me because he does it so often and doesn't seem to have noticed he does it, but even more worrying is that it suggests to me the coaches are not picking him up on it. You'd expect if they are you would see some improvement given its more of a decision based thing rather than a technical ability. Have the coaches not noticed? Or is he that unteachable? Without trying to sound dramatic, it's concerning.

Also think he's probably due a little rest.

RC89

Why are people attributing his school dinners campaign with his form? He's always been like this. He usually operates at two extremes. 10 games 10 goals and then 10 games 1 goal (or something similar), this is nothing to do with his off field initiatives. Some people...

edcunited1878

It was great defending from Fabinho.

His decision making is erratic which can be worked on and I’m confident he can improve that. But the thing that annoys me with Rashford as others have said is the half-arsed pressing and lack of determination to get the ball back. That’s nothing to do with talent, it’s basic effort and he needs to put more of a shift in off the ball. And stop sulking.
Compounded with indecision on Naniford's part. Unacceptable for that attack not to end in a shot attempt, at least, for United. Cavani even curves his run and wasn't offside after Naniford ran past him which he could have done reverse pass or backheel the ball behind him as all 3 Liverpool players went with the ball.

criticalanalysis

I don't have an issue with Martial and Rashford's efforts on the pitch or their decision making outside the box but FFS why are they so fecking gun shy?

If you're going to over dribble or be greedy then execute and finish it! That's the most infuriating part. All that huff and puff for not even a shot to show for it.

Gain that yard and make a decision. Stop going down dead alleys and taking on 3 players at once. Ugh.

Shut up you clown. Nothing to do with it.

He needs to sort out the selfishness though. He hasn’t got the clinical edge to be that selfish just yet. His first touch lets him down too often. So so fecking frustrating and we’ve just got nothing going for us when Bruno’s off par.
Someone always bites

lex talionis

I’m worried that Rashford is relying too much on his athleticism and not working hard enough on developing his technique and awareness.

I hope I’m wrong about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.