5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepolice123

Fabinho is looking at Rashford and Rashford only.
Fabinho was clearly matching Cavani's run there. He delayed it enough for Robertson to come back. Either way he should have passed the ball to Cavani or Pogba. I just don't think it would have been a 1 v 1 chance for Cavani that's all. Very poor from Rashford there. It was a Dan James moment from him.

RedDevil@84

Last season he and Martial were competing for most no of goals. Now both are competing for not being able to score.
What a mess.

Eugenius

Antics as in worrying too much about social media, messing about and not working hard enough. I have no problem with someone enjoying their down time but as long as it's coupled with a real drive to improve.

I disagree, I think his work ethic is nowhere near good enough when he steps on that pitch.
Cristiano Ronaldo is probably the most dedicated footballer playing - yet he also does social media, does various advertising campaigns, owns a hotel brand, owns a gym brand, models his own underwear etc. Has zero impact on his on pitch performance.

Rashford is a completely different player to what he was when he broke through. Through hard work on the training ground and in the gym. Only last season he was carrying us playing with a broken back for a big chunk of it and playing with injections.

I'm not saying he's above criticism but I don't think it's his character or work ethic that is the issue. He's just not a top class attacking forward for a team that is now aspiring to win trophies and beat big teams consistently.

Idxomer

Why does he never try for anything in the air? He looks scared to jump for any ball these days.

UncleBob

Hes literally matching Cavani while watching the player on the ball
No, he's literally not, he's fixed on keeping a distance to Rashford to avoid being caught out. Cavani is running in behind him, if the pass is decent then Cavani will only have Robertson to worry about coming in from the side, Fabinho will be behind him with little or no chance to put in a tackle. Rashford just completely misjudges the situation, there's no space whatsoever to his right with Robertson being there, and even if he had managed to get past Fabinho there's still Robertson between him and the goalkeeper.

There's the right decision and there's the wrong decision, Rashford made the latter. If he passes the ball to Cavani and Robertson manages to close him down then that's fair enough, but the only decision to make in that situation is to pass the ball into space ahead of Cavani and give him the chance to finish. The goalkeeper is stood on the penalty spot which means that if the ball is decent you'll give Cavani an excellent chance for a quick shot.

It's beyond me to grasp how anyone can look at the video of Rashford running into a blind alley, ignoring Cavani running into an excellent position, and concluding that he made the right decision because "Fabinho is literally matching Cavani"

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We need to stop moving him around and just stick with him on the left wing.

I have no idea why we keep trying him on the right and then up front, he just doesn't understand how to play those positions.

I get that Ole wanted him to break the offside trap and be a long ball threat - but he would have done that way more successfully from the left wing as he times his runs so much better.

Play him on the left or don't bother playing him at all, because the rest of his game isn't good enough lately to warrant carrying him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We need to stop moving him around and just stick with him on the left wing.

I have no idea why we keep trying him on the right and then up front, he just doesn't understand how to play those positions.

I get that Ole wanted him to break the offside trap and be a long ball threat - but he would have done that way more successfully from the left wing as he times his runs so much better.

Play him on the left or don't bother playing him at all, because the rest of his game isn't good enough lately to warrant carrying him.
Surely that’s obvious? Bad as he is in those positions he’s better than Martial (or James/Mata/Greenwood). This season anyway.

dove

:lol:

I honestly can't grasp how it's even remotely possible to look at the video below and conclude that Rashford made the right choice in ignoring Cavanis run.

It's a simple fecking pass to give Cavani the chance for a one vs one

He is just brainless and runs until he hits the wall, happened countless times in his career. We were 3 on 3 with Pogba coming to support too. If he didn't have the ability to find Cavani then he should have used Pogba instead of hopelessly running away from goal boxed by 3 Liverpool players...

Pughnichi

Regardless of whether he should/could have played Cavani in, he was woeful all over the pitch. No interest. Not many sprints, not challenging for headers. His worst performance I can remember since his debut. How he stayed on is beyond me. He should be dropped.

Martial looked at least a little more threatening and should be starting ahead of Rashford with Cavani up top for nxt game

Adam-Utd

Surely that’s obvious? Bad as he is in those positions he’s better than Martial (or James/Mata/Greenwood). This season anyway.
Really don't think he is to be honest.

None of his performances on the right have been anything better than what the others would put in, he just managed to chalk up and assist for Pogba with a half decent cross.

Take the rest of them and they stink. Most of his goals come from the left.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Really don't think he is to be honest.

None of his performances on the right have been anything better than what the others would put in, he just managed to chalk up and assist for Pogba with a half decent cross.

Take the rest of them and they stink. Most of his goals come from the left.
He’s only been tried there a handful of games. Ole obviously thought it was worth a go. And it’s a fair assumption because Martial and Mason have been woeful this season in their usual positions. Why on earth would they be any better in a position they don’t like?

romufc

Rashford up top offers nothing apart from running in behind. I can see the merits of him playing there but his all round game is poor to be a ST.

It makes our midfielders play the ball in behind too early and lose the ball. We need to play with a ST who will link players.

Adam-Utd

He’s only been tried there a handful of games. Ole obviously thought it was worth a go. And it’s a fair assumption because Martial and Mason have been woeful this season in their usual positions. Why on earth would they be any better in a position they don’t like?
Too much tinkering.

Fair enough he wanted to try Pogba on the right side, but then why not leave Rashford on the left and Martial up front like they've been playing all season?

Instead he's decided to swap them all around and they looked like a team that's never played together.

No coincidence that our best period in the match was when Rashford went left and Cavani up top.

Greenwood hasn't been playing THAT badly to suggest not even having him on the pitch on the right IMO, I get not starting him due to Robertsons attacking game but he could have bought him in at 75.

Instead he gave him what 3 minutes? pointless.

PureCantona7

I honestly can't grasp how it's even remotely possible to look at the video below and conclude that Rashford made the right choice in ignoring Cavanis run.

It's a simple fecking pass to give Cavani the chance for a one vs one
The amount of times he back heels the ball in other games and flops he actually gets an opportunity here and decides to run off the pitch instead..:confused:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I called it when season started. Rashford when he plays his game like he played recent seasons is for me in top 3 left wingers in PL. Without any question. But he just tries to be something what he isn't.
He is not Neymar or prime Ronaldo. Someone who can beat couple of players and resolve a game. His teamwork went to shit this season and he doesn't have any understanding anymore with Martial (not to mention Cavani). Ole must fix that.

At the moment our best combo is Martial and Cavani when we play with 2 in attack.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Too much tinkering.

Fair enough he wanted to try Pogba on the right side, but then why not leave Rashford on the left and Martial up front like they've been playing all season?

Instead he's decided to swap them all around and they looked like a team that's never played together.

No coincidence that our best period in the match was when Rashford went left and Cavani up top.

Greenwood hasn't been playing THAT badly to suggest not even having him on the pitch on the right IMO, I get not starting him due to Robertsons attacking game but he could have bought him in at 75.

Instead he gave him what 3 minutes? pointless.
Because Martial’s been rubbish in front of goal all season. Come on, this is obvious stuff. We have key players badly out of form and limited alternatives so stands to reason Ole will keep tweaking formations and positions to try and get a tune out of them. For about 15 minutes Martial played better than he had all season, so there were some obvious benefits to his decision anyway. Unfortunately he followed that with one of his usual disappearing acts. C’esla vie.

Agree that Greenwood has been ok on the right but would have been a huge call to drop one of Martial or Rashford to start him at Anfield. Way more risky than any other decision you’re criticising Ole about.

I also agree that we looked best with Rashford left and Cavani through the middle. He obviously thought Cavani didn’t have the legs to start after playing a full 90 minutes mid-week. Hardly an outrageous decision, is it?

Jonno

I do believe he's at risk of being dropped or 'rotated' for a few games. No harm in giving Cavani a run of games with Martial on the left and Pogba on the right, and Rashford can come back stronger for it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m convinced he’s playing injured and/or in pain.

Firstly there was that squealing pain when Harvey Barnes slightly tugged on his arm a few weeks ago that clearly showed a discomfort he’d been hiding or playing through.

his closing down, even though I think is part tactics, is not high energy enough where as it used to be a season or so back, as if he’s been told not to put undue risk to yourself.

he never, ever jumps for a fifty fifty Ariel dual, it’s as if he has been told he doesn’t have to incase he risks his back or arm, I don’t know which.

He seems to be playing within himself and only fifty Percent of the player he is due to playing through pain of some sort, and with the managers permission not to go into certain challenges, which seems bizarre but he’s probably still one of our best players even playing this way.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
On the right, maybe. Not as a striker though. Literally the only thing he can do is try to break the offside trap, over and over and over again. He can't win anything in the air, he can't hold the ball up, he barely links with anyone else. He is completely reliant on just beating the offside trap and then using his pace to get to balls played over the top. Martial started the season not much better in those aspects, but over the last 5-6 weeks he's started getting his all-round game back. Obviously still can't finish unfortunately and he's a long way from his best, but overall he's a much better striker than Rashford.

I completely understand switching them around at the start of the match, but once it was obvious it wasn't working I don't know why we didn't swap them back and see if it worked better.

Lentwood

What’s crazy about Rashford is the entire country raves about him apart from the fans of the club he actually plays for!

Has there ever been a player the rest of the country really rate and their own fans largely think is very overrated?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I love Rashford but I cannot understand why he doesn't simplify his game when he is clearly out of form. He still tries flicks and tricks when he should be playing his way back into form with keeping it simple. He still has a great first touch coming onto passes over the top (when he is onside at least).

Lentwood

I hate to be ‘that’ person but, do you think he might actually be injured?

I’m actually being serious, he’s been rank rotten for weeks now, seems to actually be very lazy in his pressing, I’d love to see the stats but Cavani looks like he puts in double the shift that Rashford does when he’s on the pitch. Somethings not right anyway, he needs a bit of time out the side I think because it’s just not working for him at the moment.
No way, no chance, not in a zillion, million years is Rashford injured. Do you realise the amount of effort that goes into keeping players fit and getting them on the pitch in peak physical condition nowadays?

If you think a world class team of doctors, physio’s, sports scientists and fitness and conditioning experts are letting half-fit players anywhere near the pitch week in week out what you’re saying basically amounts to medical negligence

stw2022

It’s the stuff that doesn’t get recorded in the stats that expose his limitations as a player. Not all of his poor decision making will be as egregious as yesterday’s but if we stop to notice the number of times he squanders chances by refusing to release the ball conceded to someone in a better position he ends up wasting many chances a game.

i think also there may be a work rate issue too that’s being overlooked because we assume his background makes this not an issue in his game but for a while now he’s played like someone who unless they can score or engineer an opportunity to have a crack himself, he’s distinctly not interested and almost walks around the pitch. Even getting caught offside yesterday all those times, he rarely seemed bothered. Just walked, shoulders hunched, back to his own half.

if he was a signing from Italy or Spain i think this would be noticed as more of an issue

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No way, no chance, not in a zillion, million years is Rashford injured. Do you realise the amount of effort that goes into keeping players fit and getting them on the pitch in peak physical condition nowadays?

If you think a world class team of doctors, physio’s, sports scientists and fitness and conditioning experts are letting half-fit players anywhere near the pitch week in week out what you’re saying basically amounts to medical negligence
Players regularly play through injuries. For instance we know that Lindelof has been struggling with a back injury for at least 12 months now. Even last season we know that Rashford was struggling with a back injury before he either made it worse or picked up another one that put him out for a while.

RedStarUnited

On that run I think he just backs himself that his pace will get him away from the defender and Fabinho defended it perfectly really. The Pogba pass wasn’t really on because he couldn’t get ahead of Rashford. His options were, pass to Cavani and hope he has the pace to get away or run it himself. He was made to look stupid by great defending though.
It was great defending from Fabinho.

His decision making is erratic which can be worked on and I’m confident he can improve that. But the thing that annoys me with Rashford as others have said is the half-arsed pressing and lack of determination to get the ball back. That’s nothing to do with talent, it’s basic effort and he needs to put more of a shift in off the ball. And stop sulking.
Rashford was never going to beat everyone. For me, He had about four moments/decisions he could have made in this transition.

1 - Pass to cavani (blue), make the run in behind (red) and hope Cavani can make the pass (yellow). Cavani might be able to return it to him seeing as Rashfords much quicker and theres plenty space.

2. Play Cavani in with a simple pass.

3. Play the ball for Pogba to run in to. There is no way he is beating the rest of the liverpool players here.

4. Last chance to play the ball Pogba.

Glorio

You'd think so, but in fact, players go on to play loads of times 'managing' injuries. Personally I think it shouldn't be allowed, but football can be surprisingly archaic - maybe because at some level it is just a game, or maybe with some injuries, there's less risk of aggravating the problem if you do play.

Anyways Lindelof and Ole have both admitted that he's currently managing a back injury, it's common knowledge.

Rashford himself obviously had an issue with his shoulder (evidenced with the scream and writhing in pain when the shoulder was given a innocuous tug recently) and I don't know if it's actually healed now or not. What I know for definite is that he's been terrible - even in games where he's scored.

Pogba mentioned finding it difficult to play while injured.

DRM

Ever since the flukey goal against wolves, he's become more and more selfish, always trying to go for the glory in difficult situations when an obvious pass to a team mate in a better position is available. Its so frustrating and bugging the hell out of me. The coaching staff need to have a word with him along with Bruno on his erratic, hurried passing. A bit more composure and we would've won the game yesterday.

Idxomer

Rashford was never going to beat everyone. For me, He had about four moments/decisions he could have made in this transition.

1 - Pass to cavani (blue), make the run in behind (red) and hope Cavani can make the pass (yellow). Cavani might be able to return it to him seeing as Rashfords much quicker and theres plenty space.

2. Play Cavani in with a simple pass.

3. Play the ball for Pogba to run in to. There is no way he is beating the rest of the liverpool players here.

4. Last chance to play the ball Pogba.

This looks worse every time, horrific decision making and pure selfishness.

UpWithRivers

His shift to the RW has affected him. He has done well there but only in comparison to all the other sht options we have. Rashford is an instinctive player. He plays better without thinking. Shifting him left and right has affected his rhythm. Another casualty of or inability to buy a RW for 20 years.

Lentwood

You'd think so, but in fact, players go on to play loads of times 'managing' injuries. Personally I think it shouldn't be allowed, but football can be surprisingly archaic - maybe because at some level it is just a game, or maybe with some injuries, there's less risk of aggravating the problem if you do play.

Anyways Lindelof and Ole have both admitted that he's currently managing a back injury, it's common knowledge.

Rashford himself obviously had an issue with his shoulder (evidenced with the scream and writhing in pain when the shoulder was given a innocuous tug recently) and I don't know if it's actually healed now or not. What I know for definite is that he's been terrible - even in games where he's scored.

Pogba mentioned finding it difficult to play while injured.
This is true but it supports my point really. Lindelof is managing back trouble so Ole has rested him. Pogba struggled with COVID so was left out of the team and eased back in. Sure, players play through pain but I think clubs see the big picture now, rather than risk their long term well-being.

I firmly believe that if Rashford had any kind of seriously dehibilitating injury that Ole would leave him out. I can’t believe we would be playing him if there was a genuine risk when a) he’s been generally awful this season and b) we have alternative options now on the bench

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
This looks worse every time, horrific decision making and pure selfishness.
His run yesterday was basically what happens when your Xbox/playstation controller turns off mid run, just runs in a straight line and doesn't do anything

Sylar

He needs a break. Tired legs lead to tired minds and its affecting his decision making.

Having a break isnt the worst thing. We should use Mason a bit more (even though they are different players). Thats upto Ole. One cup game break wont do much for him. But a break to refresh himself and thus making him hungry to get back into the team is a healthy thing.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
The problem isn't ability I think. He played as a no.10 at youth team levels. We've seen him pick out great passes many times. Nor is he a 'mediocre talent' as it's nigh on impossible to rack up the numbers he has if he was in this category. What yesterday's 'cavani/pogba pass options' situation reminded me of was a game from a couple of seasons ago (can't remember against who) where we were chasing a game with 5 minutes left on the clock and he received the ball about 40 yards from goal had players streaming ahead of him left and right and he decided to go for trying to beat the keeper with a half volley - which then trickled along the ground into goalkeepers lap. It's 100% attitude. It's good he has that belief in himself and tries the audacious, he wouldn't have come this far without that. But he needs to balance that against the risk of it becoming Rashford FC vs Liverpool. This is where older more experienced and mature players like Cavani and Fernandes need to give him both barrels til he sorts that out. Because making the right pass there could be the difference between kind of team that actually wins stuff or just also-rans. Hope Ole has it in him to dish it out when needed, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but i'm sure he was fuming after that.

Banana Republic

He's tired and needs a Rest. He's carrying an injury. He's not fit. He's exhausted. He's playing out of position.. It's the midfield's fault. Alien City supporters are controlling his mind to stop him performing.
If he just stopped being greedy. He needs to learn.blah, blah, blah.....
ROTFL.
I've been supporting Utd since the 1960's and I genuinely believe I'm seeing one of the worst forwards (and there have been others) to put on a Utd jersey.

I really dont understand why he didnt pass the ball, it acutally makes my chest feel tight thinking about it again.

MS4

The 5th option was to backheel it to Pogba when he was close/inside the box
He could have done a ronaldo-chop, he would have been on his weaker foot but then he might have had the chance to pass it
He had so many options but he kept running. I can't explain the reason

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I really dont understand why he didnt pass the ball, it acutally makes my chest feel tight thinking about it again.

Cavani's reaction is like 'FFS it's sodding Neymar all over again and this kid isn't even same tier of quality as the little brazilian scrote!'

acnumber9

He's tired and needs a Rest. He's carrying an injury. He's not fit. He's exhausted. He's playing out of position.. It's the midfield's fault. Alien City supporters are controlling his mind to stop him performing.
ROTFL.
I've been supporting Utd since the 1960's and I genuinely believe I'm seeing one of the worst forwards (and there have been others) to put on a Utd jersey.
May be time to get those eyes tested then.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
ROTFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.