Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

He has a horrible ball striking technique.
yeah while having good volley technique at the same time, didn't show that much for us yet.. He could be a good beach soccer player IMO..

Boycott

He should aim to hit double figures this season. A thing I like about him is when he plays there's more urgency and things happen. He drags defenders towards him, unlike RvP and Falcao he can work with that and it lets other midfielders to take the space.

Walters_19_MuFc

When he come on, he was hardly asked to play as a target man. That could have been down to us getting a goal before he was introduced, but he often dropped and linked up play when he was in the number 10 role behind Rooney.

Revan

Assumptionman
Surprisingly, he was quite good as a No.9. He could be our Emile Heskey if we play him there :drool:

RedOldBoy

Might as well play him as a target man next to Rooney. Would probably score more goals than Falcao by the end of the season

ZDwyr

Would still like to see him in midfield more. Just a standard cameo. Would suspect if we hadn't scored he would have been more involved.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think he's been all that bad tonight. Had a couple of moments where he was surprisingly competent on the ball, and he's occasionally looked decent at dropping back and picking up the ball. His positioning still occasionally looks a bit all over the place though, and he's naturally a very limited player when in an advanced position.

For someone who's criticised him a lot though, I don't think he's been all that bad.

Kazi

Yeah he's done okay. Needs to position himself more central in the box IMO, rather than always going to the back post.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Works as a plan B sometimes. Absolutely useless as a plan A from the start of a match. I despise watching him playing in the team in that role. Hated watching it at Everton and hate watching it here. He's barely contributed to anything, apart from the general shitness of our attack.

Parma Dewol

He hasn't done that badly, but Jesus Christ, how is he playing up front for Man Utd? We need to score and he's playing up front ahead of Radamel Falcao.

I have no idea what system, line-up or formation we're playing these days. Don't think anyone has been able to figure it out, and we're in the latter stage of the season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't mind him playing as such, he has done well this season.

Two problems though:
1) If we start him it's then very difficult to take him off as we may need to resort to extremely direct football towards the end of a game.
2) LvG keeps talking about how this is all part of a process but surely playing Fellaini up front can only be a short-term measure? You'd have thought he isn't the best suited to the football we're supposed to be moving towards.

Roboc7

He did ok but it shows how poor we are in final third that we have resorted to using him in that role.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Played ok, but he's just not a very good footballer. Puzzling why he's picked when we're not even playing to his strength.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He really is not good enough upfront. Doesn't contribute anything whatsoever and slows us down so much that it hurts to watch. He shouldn't really be ahead of Mata, really not

stevoc

I hope i never get to see 80+ minutes of Fellaini in behind the striker for Man Utd ever again.

Especially when we have Mata on the bench. :houllier:

Boycott

Played reasonably well I thought. Not sure why people are moaning
Agree. Him and Rooney were causing them problems. Fellaini did well in deep positions too but really should have scored that chance in the second half. He had more time than he thought.

legball

Fellaini played well tonight. Stop moaning because Mata wasn't selected to start. He actually worked the GK more than our main striker. Ridiculous.

Cletus

Slack jawed yokels can have good taste in football
I was shocked that we started long-balling after he went off.
He did seem to me a strong choice ahead of Mata, expecting him to hold up play at a usually tough ground. Turns out we may have been better off starting Mata, but I don't think Fellaini was terrible.

Bwuk

What are we, Everton? He's nowhere near technically good enough to play as a #10 for us.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What are we, Everton? He's nowhere near technically good enough to play as a #10 for us.
Long-term no, although I suppose it can be a mildly effective short-term tactic.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Agree. Him and Rooney were causing them problems. Fellaini did well in deep positions too but really should have scored that chance in the second half. He had more time than he thought.
Yep. He also ran well with the ball. Just the usual nonsense about Fellaini in the thread.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Fellaini played well tonight. Stop moaning because Mata wasn't selected to start. He actually worked the GK more than our main striker. Ridiculous.
What did he do well then? I didn't see a quality performance of a no. 10 at all, he rather slowed us down and didn't do anything with the ball as usual

Devil may care

I thought he did ok, forced a couple of saves from Krul but should have scored that header. It's obvious he isn't the type of forward that should be playing for United but right now he offers us an option that is more useful than Mata or Falcao IMO.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
He was alright tonight. Did about as well as he could have with that big chance, shot across the goalkeeper and it was a good save. Overall play was good in places but he could have been more adventurous at times I though, some times when he had an opportunity to shoot or pass forward he chose the safe option.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What did he do well then? I didn't see a quality performance of a no. 10 at all, he rather slowed us down and didn't do anything with the ball as usual
Didn't see him slowing us down to be fair.

Going by our comments combined one would think he's mastered the art of camouflage.

I like him in his target-man role to be fair, creates space for others to attack the box and forces our players to move fecking forward. Shame his chance in the second half didn't go on, would've been a cracking goal.

drdoityourself

I was ok tonight, but when he starts and it's not working LvG seems reluctant to bring him off as he is also the Plan B. Should have ran off the pitch also, hate seeing that when we need a goal.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Didn't see him slowing us down to be fair.

Going by our comments combined one would think he's mastered the art of camouflage.

I like him in his target-man role to be fair, creates space for others to attack the box and forces our players to move fecking forward. Shame his chance in the second half didn't go on, would've been a cracking goal.
I thought he was poor yes. From a no.10, I expect him to create chances, move into space, passes the ball around and brings Rooney into play. He is too casual for me and doesn't have the skills or quality to play upfront

Kostur

海尔的老板
I thought he was poor yes. From a no.10, I expect him to create chances, move into space, passes the ball around and brings Rooney into play. He is too casual for me and doesn't have the skills or quality to play upfront
Fair enough that, I'd probably agree with you but I'm not really sure what his role was today, as said, I think he played something like a target-man, can a #10 be a target-man though? No idea.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Fair enough that, I'd probably agree with you but I'm not really sure what his role was today, as said, I think he played something like a target-man, can a #10 be a target-man though? No idea.
Definitely!

I'd argue that's what Fellaini done for Moyes at his best for Everton. He was in the hole, but they'd pick him out like a target man, then he'd either lay it of to an oncoming mid, slip it to a forward, or run with it if he was in space.

Boycott

I don't think he's set out to be a number 10 from LvG. He drops far too deep then if he is. For me he's used as an additional midfielder but with an emphasis to go up when we get into wide positions and do his thing. For a better way of putting it, shoehorning him in because he has qualities at both ends of the pitch which the manager values in getting results.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Definitely!

I'd argue that's what Fellaini done for Moyes at his best for Everton. He was in the hole, but they'd pick him out like a target man, then he'd either lay it of to an oncoming mid, slip it to a forward, or run with it if he was in space.
So basically we're back to our good ol' 'lack of off-ball movement is killing us' debate.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I guess that's his best role upfront but once he has the ball, he doesn't do enough for me that would really make him an quality option upfront

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Some of the comments about his performance tonight are highly unjustified. He didn't set the world alight but he did a pretty good job, I thought.

Boycott

Definitely!

He killed us doing that all game in the opening game of 12/13.

Status
Not open for further replies.