Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

So does he upfront where he does not add much to our general play except heading long balls
He has fantastic chest control which he can use at any time up front, but almost never in central midfield as he has to vacate his position and go hang out near the strikers.

He has the strength to hold onto the ball under pressure from physical CBs and just needs to find a square or backwards pass from there to put a teammate into a good position, which is much more suited to his passing range as it generally wont matter if he slightly underhits a pass and he doesnt need to thread the needle with accuracy either.

And this season he's always been a threat when we can get decent balls into the box, he's popped up with some important goals. Some have definitely been from set pieces, but he's less of a liability in the meantime when he's doing a basic target man job up front.

There are obviously limitations to what he can do up front, hes not going to be very good running the channels or threatening runs in behind the defence. Someone else will have to do those things, but you generally wouldnt want him to be doing that anyway as you'd want him making himself available in the middle when you have the ball, not on the wing.

I actually wonder if he might be the best option when we play Wilson up front. Let him shoulder the target man responsibilities and look for flicks to set Wilson free.

Just like Andy Carrol, you can question how good the football is to watch but you cant question whether its effective.

mu77

With the shower of clowns we've got in central defence this season, he should start every game for his contribution at defensive set-pieces alone. Could have made all the difference against West Ham, for starters.
jones would have got in the way.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Van Gaal in full on cryptic mode:
He's basically saying when we are playing so rubbish that we can't work the ball up the pitch, lumping it up big Fella up top does the job nicely.

ForlansHair

You'd think that if he averaged 90% of his passes he must be doing something correct (and his average per season is around the same number, probably around 85% or so, mind). No, he's not the most creative player in our squad, far from it but it doesn't mean that he's 'the worst passer in United mifield', far from it, he's keeping things ticking and making things simple, no shame about it when you've got other players who are responsible for creation (and yet fail their duties). He was playing the game with his back to the goal so it's hard to expect fireworks from him too.

Can't really see where the 'doesn't have the touch, movement or spacial awareness' comes from too to be fair, sounds like a bunch of cliches, can agree about the passing range (although I can't really say I'm missing holywood passes from him).
He is by far our worst passer in midfield, everyone else is on another level.

They're not cliches, they're what Fellaini lacks. He is not good enough to play in midfield for us and never ever will be. His performance against Bayern last year was the first time I had to laugh at a United player, he was on a different level to Carrick, let alone Kroos and Schweinsteiger. That's the level we should be aiming for.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

They're not cliches, they're what Fellaini lacks. He is not good enough to play in midfield for us and never ever will be. His performance against Bayern last year was the first time I had to laugh at a United player, he was on a different level to Carrick, let alone Kroos and Schweinsteiger. That's the level we should be aiming for.
So you say the likes of Smalling and Evans are better passers?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I have seen us shift around our players a lot but never Smalling and Evans into midfield.
He said in his previous post "worst passer ever at United", which I was referring to, not the midfield part...... But thanks for the comment nonetheless, as if I didn't know that.

He can refer to himself as the worst passer as a midfielder, which is probably true considering he would be compared against Mata, Blind, Herrera etc. but he actually is in the top 10 most accurate passers in the team this season, which doesn't really back that ridiculous argument up.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I know it's not a very good way to judge a player but anyone know our win % with/without him? Reckon the difference is huge.
With:

W8 D3 L3 = 57%

Without:

W5 D5 L1 = 45%

so a higher win % with than without, but worth noting that in 2 of the 3 losses he played he was a late sub. No involvement in those two games would have seen a 66% ratio. Win/Loss excluding the draws actually works against him.

ZDwyr

With:

W8 D3 L3 = 57%

Without:

W5 D5 L1 = 45%

so a higher win % with than without, but worth noting that in 2 of the 3 losses he played he was a late sub. No involvement in those two games would have seen a 66% ratio. Win/Loss excluding the draws actually works against him.
He played against "better" opposition too didn't he? I mean he started against Chelsea, City and Arsenal where you would expect us to probably drop more points. So to have a higher win % with him in the team is impressive. He definitely has a role with us now at least, even if just a squad player.

He was playing injured and bereft of confidence last season. If we played them again now I'd be confident he would put in a better performance. Not saying he would run the game, but he would be better.

beergod

Van Gaal in full on cryptic mode:
I brought a wrecking ball since you parked the bus. A GIF of LVG operating a crane with Fellaini's head as the wrecking ball would be hilarious.

Edit: This will work

Last edited:

acnumber9

He's fixing brainless but that's what he's been put into the team to do. We're sacrificing a proper midfielder to play him as a third striker.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
This is the problem with Fellaini. Start him and this is the 2nd game in a row where he has ghosted the first half.

Right now, he'd be the man to be subbed to change it up. In a technical game, he's found wanting, more often than not. But if Swansea score and take the lead, a la Preston, he's the man we need to change the game and go direct with someone else to be the fall guy (probably RVP who has been no more as effective as Falcao thus far).

The Fellaini conundrum.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Real contrast of opinions on the match day thread

I think he has been pretty good today. Hold up play has been impressive

Jev

I'm one of his biggest critics on here but I thought he was decent in the first half. Better than the other two strikers. If they're actually strikers, I can't really work out our formation.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Real contrast of opinions on the match day thread

I think he has been pretty good today. Hold up play has been impressive
Agreed but he's a liability now so he has to be subbed off. Shame he's a bit of an idiot.

There's always that criticism of "if you play Fellaini you have to play long ball", but we've not done that at all and he's still been very useful. The only time's we've gone long to him is when De Gea had literally no other options and each and every time he's plucked it out of the sky with ease and started off another attack from a good position. Generally got involved pretty well in and around the box too.

Devil may care

Not being used to his strengths today, he should be ahead of Rooney so Rooney can get onto the second ball.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A bit Jekyll and Hyde today. Some brilliant chest control and turns from him, but he's still a dirty bastard. I'd replace him with Mata for the second half.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
A bit Jekyll and Hyde today. Some brilliant chest control and turns from him, but he's still a dirty bastard. I'd replace him with Mata for the second half.
Because of the yellow? If not his performance does nowway warrant the hook at half time

I'd love to see mata too though, but for RVP

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Because of the yellow? If not his performance does nowway warrant the hook at half time

I'd love to see mata too though, but for RVP
Because I think he's walking the tightrope with regards getting himself sent off, he's made some terrible challenges today, but other than that I think he's been good. I also think Mata would be better suited to the game, we've played some nice stuff in Swansea's half.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Decent, but he does commit the most pointless fouls. Swansea player facing his own keeper, in his own half, let's just have a kick at his ankles...

Walters_19_MuFc

He's been alright first half. Certainly not shite as some people are suggesting.

I'd just personally prefer Fellaini playing a bit deeper. I think the tactics are obviously to play him behind the forwards so he's closer to goal if/when we put crosses in, however the crosses so far have been predictable. The Swansea keeper has worked out when we're going to put it in, hence coming out and collecting it. I think if Fellaini made runs from deep, he can get a run on the defenders (not that he needs it), and the keeper won't be able to read the crosses so easily. His goal against Stoke was a perfect example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.