Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimalist

Think his successful performances are certainly him at his most disciplined. He had a few under Van Gaal too where it was clear he was given explicit instructions how to go about his job.

RedTiger

Half mast
There we go, 12 hours respite before the irrational haters come back out of the woodwork.
As always. I really really want him to start the next 10 games and put in the same level of performance, which I believe he will because confidence is a massive thing.

A lack of a defined role within the team and stop start appearances didn't help him over the last 3 years.

NK86

Maybe some of the fans have forgotten how good Keano was, a true midfield general.
He was a brilliant player. He could take on any midfield. Comparisons with Fellaini is unjust on the Belgian.

cjg-888

Surprisingly impressed with him.

Looks like a player with an actual role and performing it well, hopefully he can continue.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Will be a cult player. Never to be universally accepted but he was very good last night. He gives us A LOT and it's wrong of people to look at him the way they do. He isn't the reason we've stank the last 3 years. We had enough talent around him now, for his general play to be accepted for what it is.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Nail. On. Head.
No it ain't. What we're finally seeing is the team taking shape around him. 3 Years ago, we needed a creative midfielder and that's the problem. Expecting Fellaini to play like Pogba is fecking stupid. He's not that kind of player. He will now be accepted more because the creativity doesn't fall on his shoulders, but rather Pogbas or Martials etc. It's not Fellainis fault he's not Pogba. Finally some will see what he IS good at. The team after 3 years, is finally taking shape. We're seeing more of an identity where most people could probably predict 6-7+ of the first team most weeks. The more the teams form picks up, the more people will suddenly be singing a different tune.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Keane no match for Fellaini or Pogba?

fecking hell.
That is not what I said. In terms of physicality, I don't think Keane was on the level of these two, no, as he was clearly not as physically blessed for a start.

On the other hand though, Kraftwerker pointed out how well he often dealt with Vieira, so physical attributes are not the be-all and end-all.

eggwithsideburns

Hope he gets more opportunities to impress, he has done really well lately and good for him. He has lots of mental strength as well as his physical strength. I'm really pleased that he is doing well.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
No it ain't. What we're finally seeing is the team taking shape around him. 3 Years ago, we needed a creative midfielder and that's the problem. Expecting Fellaini to play like Pogba is fecking stupid. He's not that kind of player. He will now be accepted more because the creativity doesn't fall on his shoulders, but rather Pogbas or Martials etc. It's not Fellainis fault he's not Pogba. Finally some will see what he IS good at. The team after 3 years, is finally taking shape. We're seeing more of an identity where most people could probably predict 6-7+ of the first team most weeks. The more the teams form picks up, the more people will suddenly be singing a different tune.
Not having a creative midfielder had nothing to do with Fellaini being shit though. His issues were basic positional errors which cost us because he kind of just wandered around the pitch, his poor ball retention and carelessness, and his disciplinary problems. He's looked much better positionally this season and is stamping some of those other issues out of his game, which is great. But he did that in the first game where he was playing alongside Herrera, and it had nothing to do with Pogba because Pogba wasn't even playing.

Not to mention that the rest of the team not being that good isn't an excuse for poor performances; good players should be able to play well regardless. Fellaini's playing really well now and I hope it continues, but his poor performances before this season aren't anyone's fault except his.

sergiosigurvinson

Marouane is doing very well at the moment, but his better performances already started at the end of last season.
I think he was rather important to win the cup.
In Belgium (the natianal team as well in 'Standard the Liège') he usually played on the 8, because on the 6 we have Witsel. When Witsel wasn't available Marouane played on the 6 and he always performed very well.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Very impressive start to the season from him. Not much of a fan, like most reds, but if he keeps this up I might have to revise my stance.

I always wondered why LVG never went back to the system he stumbled upon near the end of his first season, which was, in my opinion, the only time Fellaini put in a string of good performances for us. Hopefully Mourinho, unlike LVG, will be able to keep him playing at that level.

The best part is that he hasn't acted particularly much like a pathetic thug these couple of matches, but rather looked like an actual footballer.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
They are hurting. I like it.

Some had fooled themselves silly into believing he would be sold. Yet Jose said the following about him

'' A simple phone call the day after my presentation as Man United manager changed a lot. I told him 'forget everything you read. With me, you don't leave for sure.'"

After our thrashing against Dortmund ,Jose mentioned that a lot of key players were still missing. He specifically namedropped Fellaini in that list .

The manager has that sort of belief in him and he has that sort of belief in himself. Let them cry themselves to sleep. He's going nowhere and will be a pivotal team member this season.
What is with fans who go for this tribal player-based nonsense? No one is hurting. A couple of posters have just expressed their opinion that it's too early to judge Fellaini completely, or to argue that he's a changed player since we'd essentially be basing such opinions off of a two game sample. That's...a completely fair point. Like, genuinely very, very reasonable. Two games is a very small sample on which to judge a player...because even the worst of United players had good sustained spells that went on for multiple games.

I'd argue they're maybe being a bit too downbeat after what's been a couple of very good performances from Fellaini, and I happen to think he'll have a decent season under Mourinho who seems to have benefited him fantastically and who knows how to use him correctly, but it's completely fair for other supporters to believe that he's having an alright spell and that he has much, much more to prove. No one's hurting, and no one's crying themselves to sleep.

iKeano

So, basically he's a passenger in a better team?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is not what I said. In terms of physicality, I don't think Keane was on the level of these two, no, as he was clearly not as physically blessed for a start.

On the other hand though, Kraftwerker pointed out how well he often dealt with Vieira, so physical attributes are not the be-all and end-all.
What do you mean by physicality exactly? Height? Because Keane was much stronger than Fellaini and superior to him in every physical aspect bar height.
It reminds me of Maldini's quote on Baresi: "He was special. He was a short, skinny guy but so strong. He could jump so high. He had pace, but he was only 70kg. But let me tell you – when he hit you with a tackle, he was so strong."
Keane was the same, but simply bigger.

stevoc

No i know exactly what you meant mate, and thats what i was reacting to.

Keane played in a time when the game was much more physical than it is today against guys tougher and stronger than Fellaini. And in his prime he rarely if ever lost a physical contest.

Look at his battles with Viera a player better than Pogba currently is and miles better than Fellaini. Who was also big, strong and aggressive and i can't remember a game where Keane in his prime didn't at least match him physically.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
What is with fans who go for this tribal player-based nonsense? No one is hurting. A couple of posters have just expressed their opinion that it's too early to judge Fellaini completely, or to argue that he's a changed player since we'd essentially be basing such opinions off of a two game sample. That's...a completely fair point. Like, genuinely very, very reasonable. Two games is a very small sample on which to judge a player...because even the worst of United players had good sustained spells that went on for multiple games.

I'd argue they're maybe being a bit too downbeat after what's been a couple of very good performances from Fellaini, and I happen to think he'll have a decent season under Mourinho who seems to have benefited him fantastically and who knows how to use him correctly, but it's completely fair for other supporters to believe that he's having an alright spell and that he has much, much more to prove. No one's hurting, and no one's crying themselves to sleep.
Calm down.

Of course that is not a general sweeping argument applying to anyone thst has dared question Fellaini at any point in his United tenure.

But it's naive to think that all fans are like that. For some it seems to be a genuine travesty that he simply plays for us ,with mindless criticism like 'He is a Championship level player',a 'waste of space 'is never far off. This is the same forum that had someone wishing we lost every single game simply because of their hate for a manager. Irrationality extends far with some.

They are people that have critized Fellaini in the past based on very reasonable grounds (Because the honest truth is that he has had poor games in the past)but yet are willing to give him a chance based on this new vein of form. But for some ,they have already decided that Fellaini isn't what they are looking for in 'a Manchester United player' and will seek validation by criticizing at every turn.For those,this will truly hurt.

That's a rather simple point to understand.
Such a statement was never all encompassing.

Smores

Not having a creative midfielder had nothing to do with Fellaini being shit though. His issues were basic positional errors which cost us because he kind of just wandered around the pitch, his poor ball retention and carelessness, and his disciplinary problems. He's looked much better positionally this season and is stamping some of those other issues out of his game, which is great. But he did that in the first game where he was playing alongside Herrera, and it had nothing to do with Pogba because Pogba wasn't even playing.

Not to mention that the rest of the team not being that good isn't an excuse for poor performances; good players should be able to play well regardless. Fellaini's playing really well now and I hope it continues, but his poor performances before this season aren't anyone's fault except his.
You dont think his wandering had anything to do with Van Gal insisting he found his way to the box early all the time?

He's clearly not a great player but what I've always insisted is that he's a player that can be used to good effect. Bit like Hernandez i suppose. When you put such a player into a system that doesnt fit them they cant be expected to take all the blame.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Calm down.

Of course that is not a general sweeping argument applying to anyone thst has dared question Fellaini at any point in his United tenure.

But it's naive to think that all fans are like that. For some it seems to be a genuine travesty that he simply plays for us ,with mindless criticism like 'He is a Championship level player',a 'waste of space 'is never far off. This is the same forum that had someone wishing we lost every single game simply because of their hate for a manager. Irrationality extends far with some.

They are people that have critized Fellaini in the past based on very reasonable grounds (Because the honest truth is that he has had poor games in the past)but yet are willing to give him a chance based on this new vein of form. But for some ,they have already decided that Fellaini isn't what they are looking for in 'a Manchester United player' and will seek validation by criticizing at every turn.For those,this will truly hurt.

That's a rather simple point to understand.
Such a statement was never all encompassing.
The posts that were quoted weren't really saying that, though. They were fairly reasonable points about the fact Fellaini's still in the early stages of the season. They're hardly hurt at all.:lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
You dont think his wandering had anything to do with Van Gal insisting he found his way to the box early all the time?

He's clearly not a great player but what I've always insisted is that he's a player that can be used to good effect. Bit like Hernandez i suppose. When you put such a player into a system that doesnt fit them they cant be expected to take all the blame.
LVG's baffling tactics didn't help, but Fellaini's positioning wasn't just in regard to forward positions; he'd regularly not be in attacking positions when we needed him to be, and had a weird tendency to drift out wide when he didn't need him there at all. I don't think he's all that strong positionally, but he's now under a manager who is a very solid and consistent tactically and seems to be helping Fellaini to improve that part of his game.

Smores

LVG's baffling tactics didn't help, but Fellaini's positioning wasn't just in regard to forward positions; he'd regularly not be in attacking positions when we needed him to be, and had a weird tendency to drift out wide when he didn't need him there at all. I don't think he's all that strong positionally, but he's now under a manager who is a very solid and consistent tactically and seems to be helping Fellaini to improve that part of his game.
Yeah i really dont know what LvG told Fellaini. Under Moyes he was just rubbish but i dont recall him being all over the place.

If he keeps up his improved positioning then i think we can gather it was LvGs methods/instructions on that particular facet of his game.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah i really dont know what LvG told Fellaini. Under Moyes he was just rubbish but i dont recall him being all over the place.

If he keeps up his improved positioning then i think we can gather it was LvGs methods/instructions on that particular facet of his game.
To an extent, but I think it can also be seen as Mourinho reigning him in and potentially giving him clearer, more deliberate instructions. Fellaini's not the only player who looks more solid tactically: Blind was all over the shop at times last season despite generally being an intelligent enough footballer, but he's looked very comfortable so far this season.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
He was mopping up the midfield very well yesterday, almost like his new hair gave him a fresh breath of light - literally - his hair was so black before that it made him angry so he used his elbows in every situation, now he looks a lot more disciplined and has hardly put an elbow wrong.

Hardly lost the ball. Sat very deep and broke up many attacks. Sprayed it nicely. Passed to Pogba when he needed to. Was a physical presence throughout.

It was like a vintage Matic performance. His new place in the team really is defensive midfield, which i never thought was possible.

K2K

The posts that were quoted weren't really saying that, though. They were fairly reasonable points about the fact Fellaini's still in the early stages of the season. They're hardly hurt at all.:lol:
The statement I replied to hadn't quoted anyone at all though.

You are welcome to read it again if you don't believe me.

There was really no point of you getting wound up. That statements never applied to every criticism.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The statement I replied to hadn't quoted anyone at all though.

You are welcome to read it again if you don't believe me.

There was really no point of you getting wound up. That statements never applied to every criticism.
I'm not wound up, just think this tribalistic nonsense where people think that other fans who have legitimate criticisms of someone they like, and as a result they reduce the argument to that critic being "hurt" or "crying themselves to sleep", are being very immature and a bit silly. At least address the criticisms and argue as to why you disagree.

K2K

I'm not wound up, just think this tribalistic nonsense where people think that other fans who have legitimate criticisms of someone they like, and as a result they reduce the argument to that critic being "hurt" or "crying themselves to sleep", are being very immature and a bit silly. At least address the criticisms and argue as to why you disagree.
But that was never directed to anyone with legitimate criticisms.
Something I mentioned earlier and you have simply chosen to ignore .

Can't really help you with that.

Gazza

Agreed and it's equally noticeable and tiresome on the caf when people equate criticism of a player with "hate" which I've also noticed over the last two of three years.

JohnnyKills

Surprisingly impressed with him.

Looks like a player with an actual role and performing it well, hopefully he can continue.
Yeah feel the same. Fair play to him - I have nothing against the guy and if he's performing a useful role for the team, long may it continue.

Very surprised Mourinho has placed such trust in Blind, Mata and Fellaini, genuinely didn't think any of them would still be at OT. But he's getting a tune out of all three.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What do you mean by physicality exactly? Height? Because Keane was much stronger than Fellaini and superior to him in every physical aspect bar height.
Height, weight, jumping reach, strength.

What set Keane apart for me was his mental attributes. He was a great leader, brave, committed, aggressive, had a high workrate and that determination to succeed. He was strong too and had good stamina, but I've never considered him to be a physical specimen.

saivet

Personally think he's had many good games since he's been here and has also contributed more than Herrera, though due to preferences in style of play and on field conduct many on here have viewed things differently.

He's always been a pretty versatile midfield player, we've just seen a lack of consistency with him. Fans, especially with Fellaini have been so quick to jump on his back, almost as if they want him to fail and because of this everyone focuses on the negatives despite some of the good stuff he has done.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Hat's off to him, he's performed really well so far. Long may it continue. That being said, it's amusing but predictable how some are taking a "I told you so" attitude two games into the season. For the majority of his career here, he's been poor. That's not pushing some sort of agenda, but simply the truth. Same could be said for the majority of our players the past several seasons. Hope having Mourinho as a manager while playing alongside Pogba in the midfield, will bring the best out of him.

Mike09

Height, weight, jumping reach, strength.

What set Keane apart for me was his mental attributes. He was a great leader, brave, committed, aggressive, had a high workrate and that determination to succeed. He was strong too and had good stamina, but I've never considered him to be a physical specimen.
Keane's weight is ideal for a footballer. Fellaini can win header because of his height and strength not because of his jumping reach, Keane is better in term of jumping reach than Fellaini and his goal against Juventus is one of the example. Keane is strong as a footballer, he can hold the ball and good with it and not easy to outmuscle him. Fellaini isn't superior to Keane in physical strength. Fellaini is superior in height and header those are for sure.

RC89

I had little to no expectations from Fellaini when he arrived. Safe to say I was disappointed in him being our only signing that Summer and ever since then have maintained that he's pretty shit but has his uses as a squad player as a plan C.

But I have to say he's played very well of late and deserves all the plaudits he's been getting on here by those willing to admit it. Even under LVG he performed better than expected at times and he's been pretty faultless under Jose thus far, better than faultless in fact. Maybe he'll do a Darren Fletcher this year!

ti vu

He has transformed under Mourinho! Early days, but his recent performance is pretty much on bar with those best DMs in the league last season. His presence is clearly felt as players so far seems to care to take him on and our central seems very secured unlike the last few years (SAF's later years counted) where teams run through our center for fun.

Was suprized when Mourinho said Fellaini was a fundamental player (!). Now happily eating humble pie witnessing Mourinho making his mark with Fellaini's new role.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
He is fine for dealing with the physical players and winning a midfield battle, but how will he fare against the techno midgets at City and Arsenal? I suspect that his sometime dodgy positioning and missing pace will see him pick up a lot of cards.

ti vu

He is fine for dealing with the physical players and winning a midfield battle, but how will he fare against the techno midgets at City and Arsenal? I suspect that his sometime dodgy positioning and missing pace will see him pick up a lot of cards.
With the high line in LVG's system or a straight line 4-4-2 midfield under Moyes that is the problem. With the way Mourinho employs him and likely deep line vs possession teams like City, Fellaini there is not so much space that pace needed for. Fellaini the last few games was aggressively lazer quick in closing down space (not cover huge ground). More surprising that he actually not stupidly went into stupid tackle and gave away foul like before too. Like a total different player.

Edit: And his touch is very tidy and effective too. He may be not a glamorous deep play maker with his passes, but he moves the ball quick and well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.