Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Indeed. His discipline is the biggest change for me. Hardly ever dispossessed either. 0 times today, and 0 in last game too I think.

He always seemed agitated and wound up under previous managers.

Long may it continue.
One of the most impressive aspects of Mourinho teams has been his ability to get players to fit their roles/positions incredibly well in a disciplined manner. He seems to be working wonders with Fellaini thus far in that respect. Really pleased with how he's played so far...and I have often criticised him, but he's clearly got some perseverance and has bounced back well after a poor season. Good on him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Overall he's been shit the last couple of seasons, so calm down
Yeah, I don't feel bad or in the wrong for my criticism over the past couple of seasons because for the most part he was a bit shit. By the same token though, I'll happily admit he looks a lot, lot better this season. Maybe not been spectacular, but that's almost what I've liked; he's played his role solidly and consistently and actually looks like something resembling a tactically aware midfielder now. He's been keeping to his position well and isn't constantly elbowing players in the face.

I'll admit I was maybe wrong on not expecting the guy to have much of a future at the club, though. As I said, he's got a fair bit of perseverance and has fought for a place, so can commend him for that as well.

ZDwyr

He looked quite disciplined tonight, did the simple stuff well and stuck to his task. He's got the physical attributes for a Mourinho midfielder. There are still massive questions about his technical ability and mentality, though. It's encouraging at least.

What he had in his favour in this game was that he was never really isolated 1-on-1 - when that happens it's always an arse-twitching moment! He didn't bomb on indiscriminately either - though I suppose Pogba can add that height now so it's not unsurprising.
I don't think there are is any question about his mentality, let alone massive questions.

PepsiCola

Was great again today. Very solid, for about the pitch well and cleaned up house.

Will put my hands up and admit I wanted him to be first out the door this summer. He has proved me wrong.

Long may it continue. The Mourinho effect is real here.

Womp

idiot
Aye, wanted this guy to be first out the door, but he's been solid as feck, quickly changing my opinion of him. Didn't think he had it in him to play that defensive role but he's looked in his element ever since.

Shimo

Think towards the end of last season, I started thinking ok maybe he is just not cut it for us but, never understood how much stick he gets. He's played really well and the charity shield blunder aside, a lot to be happy about. One thing I am still weary about in terms of his defensive mid role is in the past he's been poor in tracking midfield runners. Hope Mourinho and Co have seen that and work on that part with him.

Pleasantly surprised by his importance so far - and good man management by Mourinho to call him right after getting announced to start building him for the season. Guess he really was doing his homework while on temporary leave.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I am definitely not the only one, but I like to think I have probably been his most stalwart defender on here over the last 2-3 years.
I can acknowledge that since I was with you around 2-3 years ago when he was getting a ton of shite. I remember defending him on here with you.

You can just tell when a player is being unfairly treated and Fellaini was. It's great to see how he finally has this chance to prove himself. I always feared he'd be sold off and would be a joke in everyone's eyes for life.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
his discipline so far is the most impressive that ive seen from him under jose and his team, may it continue
His positioning is the most noticeable for me. It is also related to his discipline on keeping up the shape of the team, and know his role in a functioning system.

suheilsworld

Feels like a completely new signing. If he continues to play like this, he just might turn out to be the signing of the season! I for one am glad with his performance. As crazy as it sounds, deep down I always wanted him to prove himself at United.

Seems to me Jose has given him specific instructions and ask them to follow to the letter.

Vilev

With Pogba it could work. The worry is defensive play, not even the tackling or winning back balls, but positioning. If you look at South chances quite a lot of them were from DM area. If Pogba is given license to roam free somebody needs to cover the back.
All that said however with him in the squad we clearly possess superior physical strength, something lost under LVG. And if Smalling will be back it might not really matter if do have a typical DM or not. Because league is ultimately won or lost against Watfords. And these teams well they can't have a technical edge over us, so if United have Smalling, Bailly, Valencia, Pogba and Fellaini in the side i just fail to see how any team could have a physical, strength advantage, which means even on the bad day we are more likely to collect all points.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Been impressed with him. The system suits him.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thought he was really good today and the other day. He's had a lot of stick, a lot of it justified but I don't think he was perhaps ever as bad as some made out. He didn't fit with possession football though, he fits the way we're playing now really well though. I'm not going to get carried away because he could be diabolical next week but he looks at home in that holding role!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Doing well. Always admired the guy for his courage ...amount of stick he gets but you'll never see him moping about it. Will always roll his sleeves up and either get a goal or put in a shift.

Main concern was what is his best position and is he a good tactical fit for a big club and right now he's playing like a top 4 midfielder ..hope he maintains it.

Love his ability to bring it down and use his strength to turn players so he can hit a forward pass. Very positive play.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Biggest difference is that we've dropped him deeper. Moyes and van gaal insisted in having him be a lamp post target up the field. Perhaps a giggs influence

Varun

Staff
Him and Valencia are the biggest revelations so far for me. Quite incredible how good they look.

pseudo_canadian

He has had a fantastic start for us this season. I'm not sure what instructions Mourinho has given him, but he has been completely transformed from the player we have seen these past few years.

He is so disciplined, composed on the ball, and covers the ground so well to disrupt attacking plays.

Really impressed and happy for Fellaini. I'll be one of the first to admit that I wanted him gone ASAP with Mourinho coming in. I'm glad to have been proven wrong, and I hope his great form continues.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He looks like he's no longer trying desperately hard to fit in to a team or club, but simply does. I'm not sure if he offers what we need from a first choice holding midfielder, but based on the first two games, he can certainly contribute a lot to our season.

Natener

Playing with a calmness and assurance in the last two games I have not seen from him before. Almost Carrick's level of being solid without being noticeable and just keeping things simple. Very impressed.

Right, which one of us is going to chuck a tub of bleach at Rooneys hair?
The bleach sounds a good idea, but I think we could give up on the hair already.

Salfordlad70

He was brilliant last night. He has cut out the stupidity and destroyed Southampton. He and Pogba together can turn us into proper bullies on tbe field. Christ the good feelings associated with watching United have returned. I expect us to beat Hull and then it's City. I can't see Fernandinho and Gundogan matching our two. Fellaini in that position and in this form could allow us to really challenge this season.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's always had it in him... it's just that some people are quick to tell us he can't play there, using 12/13 as evidence for this, as though Fellaini hasn't played as a defensive midfielder before. In 2014, I argued that he can play in this role, and that was mostly based on what I seen from him in 11/12 and the games he played under Martinez (see Norwich game below). There was also one of the few games he played as a "defensive midfielder" for us, which was back in 13/14 against Everton at home. Did a really good job in the first half, despite having Giggs partner him. Think @Walters_19_MuFc argued the same point at the time. He definitely looks physically better than any point in his United career and he's actually alert off the ball, which is a massive contrast to the poor discipline we've been used to since he joined. Not entirely sure he's first team material, but he's done a good job in the last three games, so can't really argue with that.

Bloody hell, that was a while back, but Fellaini is a versatile player, who can play a number of positions. If used correctly, he can be very effective in the 8 and 10 role too, but it seems Jose wants to play him as the deepest midfielder, and at the moment, it's obvious to see why.

Another good game from him yesterday. His physical prowess has been a great advantage to us, especially as Mourinho plays with a narrow set up, which intices teams to cross the ball in, as we saw yesterday. Dangerous tactic, some may seem, but when you have giants like Fellaini in the box, its acceptable, in my opinion.

He's obviously no Carrick when he's on the ball, which is why, as i stated in the thread I made some time ago, it is important to have a ball player next to him, and in Pogba, that's what we've got. Could turn out to be a very good partnership, which very few would have expected to see come the start of the season.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-would-you-use-fellaini.386407/

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was excellent last night and against Leicester well deserves his place.

podurban2

He's a pure destroyer and has shown a good football brain to accompany it. Who would have thought. Difficult to replace him at this point - nail him down as a starter for next game.

dogwithabone

Biggest difference is that we've dropped him deeper. Moyes and van gaal insisted in having him be a lamp post target up the field. Perhaps a giggs influence
I said this too, he is no longer wandering towards the back post to pose an aerial threat (no need with that aerial threat from elsewhere now). I have hardly seen him in the opposition half these past two matches. It's like he now knows his role - sit deep, fill the gaps, break up the play and give it to the playmakers.

ZAGREB RED

I have never liked him, didn't want him to sign for United in the first place, but he has started this season very well. If JM can make a player out of him then it's all good, his OT career has been a real mixed bag so far, wouldn't have complained had he left this summer, but if he can continue his early season form then it's a bonus.
He looks more disciplined and if he can cut out the niggling fouls and elbowing and concentrate on playing then United will have gained a player.

stevoc

Moyes very rarely played him high up the pitch, as you say Van Gaal did though.

Why would Giggs have been the influence behind his positioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.