5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z_Wolf

If hes so rubbish, why does the manager keep playing him? If he costs us games why would he risk so much last season on playing him?
If he wanted to win some fans over, just sell him but he didnt. Its not like its JT, jose has no history with him. Jose willing to risk his job for Felliani?
He plays him because he's 6'4, simple as. Jose likes long balls to be hoofed to a big target man so he uses him as that when the team have no idea( run out of ideas) how to break down an oppo or when we're too scared to get out of our own half and attack in numbers.

He's occasionally effective but only when we play to his strengths which is why people complain. He handicaps our other creative players.

I don't see how he's risking his job by playing Fellaini as the fans have no say in whether he keeps his job or not.

Litch

He plays him because he's 6'4, simple as. Jose likes long balls to be hoofed to a big target man so he uses him as that when the team have no idea( run out of ideas) how to break down an oppo or when we're too scared to get out of our own half and attack in numbers.

He's occasionally effective but only when we play to his strengths which is why people complain. He handicaps our other creative players.

I don't see how he's risking his job by playing Fellaini as the fans have no say in whether he keeps his job or not.
Jose just plays him cause he's tall.....? Christ how did this manager win leagues in different countries and CL with that football IQ?
Here's another one....he's only effective when we play to his strengths? Isnt that the same as any footballer? That's like saying Mata isn't effective cause he doesn't score enough with his head?
He handicaps our creative players....how? And also why would Jose send a player out to stop our creative players being effective. You think he doesn't want to win football matches?
Finally.....football fans have no say whether a manager keeps his job? I give up......

stevoc

He plays him cause he's a fecking good player and anyone who can't see that is blind.
Well yes he is a good player it would be very hard to get signed by Manchester United for £30m if you weren't. How good is debatable though and some people don't rate him and thats fine, you don't rate Smalling but Mourinho keeps playing him also he actually started more games than Fellaini last year.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
The big fella will be here next season. Coming off the bench and happily doing whatever Jose asks of him.

I'm a big fan of how he carries himself generally and he's proved himself to be a great asset last year.

Jaybomb

Well yes he is a good player it would be very hard to get signed by Manchester United for £30m if you weren't. How good is debatable though and some people don't rate him and thats fine, you don't rate Smalling but Mourinho keeps playing him also he actually started more games than Fellaini last year.
Mourinho has only played Smalling in the absence of Rojo though. He has Lindelof now so I reckon Smallings game time will be limited unless we get injuries/suspensions. I think he's probably Mourinho's least favourite CB of the lot.

AndyJ1985

Is our team good enough to win the league and the CL? If not clearly some of our players need to be upgraded. If you believe Fellaini is good enough then that means the lack in quality lies elsewhere. Which players need to be upgraded before Fellaini?

Every player performance thread is filled with people arguing that particular player is good enough. Yet in threads discussing our team as a whole the consensus is we're no where near good enough.

Seems to me people are happy to criticise our team as a whole, but get defensive when individual players are criticised.

Onviously we can't buy half a dozen quality players to take us to the next level, and still keep the ones we already have. Therefore I ask again, who needs to leave?

In my opinion Fellaini is a player with obvious limitations and a player we could easily upgrade. I don't see a player like Fellaini in any of the teams that have won the CL in recent years, and none of our title winning teams had a player like him. I'm unsure as to why he's considered such an asset to our team and someone we should keep because he's helped us win a Europa league trophy and helped us finish 7th 4th 5th and 6th. We should all be wanting better than that.

Litch

Is our team good enough to win the league and the CL? If not clearly some of our players need to be upgraded. If you believe Fellaini is good enough then that means the lack in quality lies elsewhere. Which players need to be upgraded before Fellaini?

Every player performance thread is filled with people arguing that particular player is good enough. Yet in threads discussing our team as a whole the consensus is we're no where near good enough.

Seems to me people are happy to criticise our team as a whole, but get defensive when individual players are criticised.

Onviously we can't buy half a dozen quality players to take us to the next level, and still keep the ones we already have. Therefore I ask again, who needs to leave?

In my opinion Fellaini is a player with obvious limitations and a player we could easily upgrade. I don't see a player like Fellaini in any of the teams that have won the CL in recent years, and none of our title winning teams had a player like him. I'm unsure as to why he's considered such an asset to our team and someone we should keep because he's helped us win a Europa league trophy and helped us finish 7th 4th 5th and 6th. We should all be wanting better than that.
I understand that but my issue is why all the focus on him? The difference isn't him, the difference is how our so called big players play against others. It's how our so called big players change draws into wins. Felliani isn't costing us games, our big players aren't winning us enough games, and last year our forward players didn't take their chances. I just think hes a scapegoat for fans and the forum dog to kick. I'd say Matic is his upgrade but I think most won't be happy until he has gone.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's quite simple - for now he can do the job, and maybe he's a good lad to have around the squad as all his coaches seem to like him, but he isn't good enough and will be replaced when an opportunity to do so comes along. I don't know why anyone's worried, what is he, 5th choice? Maybe 6th?

MILLHILLMANC

Which clubs that then cause you don't create a billion pound business based on mediocrity? Spending 180m on 2 players in the last 2 windows mediocrity? Surely there's cheaper ways of getting mediocrity than that?
You know what there was a time when we had Salford Van Hire advertising around the ground and not the latest Malaysian noodles and I was watching Eric Cantona. That was quality not being worth a billion. I am sickened personally by the money spent and the way it has been spent under Woodward's tenure. We have gone backwards and sorry we are mediocre playing uninspiring football under a succession of managers.

stevoc

Mourinho has only played Smalling in the absence of Rojo though. He has Lindelof now so I reckon Smallings game time will be limited unless we get injuries/suspensions. I think he's probably Mourinho's least favourite CB of the lot.
I don't know about that mate they started a similar amount of games, but anyway we're veering off topic.

stevoc

I understand that but my issue is why all the focus on him? The difference isn't him, the difference is how our so called big players play against others. It's how our so called big players change draws into wins. Felliani isn't costing us games, our big players aren't winning us enough games, and last year our forward players didn't take their chances. I just think hes a scapegoat for fans and the forum dog to kick. I'd say Matic is his upgrade but I think most won't be happy until he has gone.
Well to be fair other players also get criticized, Darmian, Lingard & Rooney before he left among others. You are right it isn't Fellaini's fault alone we haven't won the title or even competed for it in the last 4 years. The truth is we have/had probably 5-6 or more players playing regularly who were not good enough for us to be a title winning side or even compete for it.

Doesn't mean they are not good players or that they couldn't have been decent squad options in previous title winning sides. But i personally just think we have too many players of that level who are/were basically first teamers.

Last edited:

Z_Wolf

Every forward misses chances. We weren't the only team missing chances last season. I'd argue City, Liverpool or Spurs missed more clear cut chances than us. And please don't bring up the stats because they don't tell what type of chances we squandered.

Fellaini does cost us games. He might not score an own goal every game but he offers very little in one of the most important positions for a team's attack (No.10). We very much relied on individual brilliance to create chances for us because players like him fail to pull of the simple things.

Litch

Well to be fair other players also get criticized, Darmian, Lingard & Rooney before he left among others. You are right it isn't Fellaini's fault alone we haven't won the title or even competed for it in the last 4 years. The truth is we have/had probably 5-6 or more players playing regularly who were not good enough for us to be a title winning side or even compete for it.

Doesn't mean they are not good players or that they couldn't have been decent squad options in previous title winning sides. But i personally just think we have too many players of that level who are/were basically first teamers.
Wouldnt argue that. Not saying I'm pro the big fella just people's stating that he's the problem is ridiculous. The problem started when SAF was here where we struggled to replace the quality we had as those players got older. CR ability just papered over the cracks....

Litch

Every forward misses chances. We weren't the only team missing chances last season. I'd argue City, Liverpool or Spurs missed more clear cut chances than us. And please don't bring up the stats because they don't tell what type of chances we squandered.

Fellaini does cost us games. He might not score an own goal every game but he offers very little in one of the most important positions for a team's attack (No.10). We very much relied on individual brilliance to create chances for us because players like him fail to pull of the simple things.
The table doesn't lie. The rest of your opinions with the utmost respect is pure stupidity as why would Jose play a player that cost the team games? If you can see it, wouldnt one of the best managers in the history of football see such a simple thing too....?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob

Our squad is good enough. It is our first 11 that needs improving. Every player Mourinho has bought so far is meant to be a starter and that tells the whole story.

Fellaini starting week in, week out, is not what anyone wants (I think). But to point the finger someone who comes in as a sub sometimes or starts only when the first team players are injured and say, 'He's the problem' is a bit silly.

Last season he had to start more than anyone would like because Carrick is not getting any younger. Now with Matic, that will be even less frequent.

Upgrading a squad player will not make a massive difference, at least not a midfielder. I'd be all for a chicharito type striker on the bench but replacing Fellaini with a slightly better midfielder won't do anything.

stevoc

Wouldnt argue that. Not saying I'm pro the big fella just people's stating that he's the problem is ridiculous. The problem started when SAF was here where we struggled to replace the quality we had as those players got older. CR ability just papered over the cracks....
Well yes i agree, i think Ferguson knew he was winding down his career and kept players too long and although the age of the squad wasn't bad most of our first team was the wrong side of 30. Van Gaal compounded that by selling a lot of the younger players (well he basically sold everyone that wasn't nailed down).

And that all lead to the situation Mourinho now finds himself in a situation where he is having to rebuild a team and squad basically from scratch.

Ashley R1+O

Great performance the other night against Sampdoria. People seem to be ignoring that he fulfills Jose's criteria in all three midfield positions, I don't think I have seen it mentioned that the high level of versatility to be able to step-in as a second string or a rotational player in all three positions is an obvious draw for Jose as a player and which is why he wants him as an important squad player. Great attitude and great option for a manager to have.

Real Madrid 2:1 Man Utd

JoaquinJoaquin

He takes some pile of stick from our fans but I tell you something, he always contributes something positive for us. Far more inconsistent players in our squad to have a go at.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He takes some pile of stick from our fans but I tell you something, he always contributes something positive for us. Far more inconsistent players in our squad to have a go at.
Exactly. People shit on him as with him in side we don't play pass and move game. As if without him we play that game.

He has his limitations but he has his uses too.

PepsiCola

He's playing well tonight, but let's chill with the hyperbole.

Robbie Boy

You just know Zidane looks at Fellers and wishes he was half the player during his playing days.

Rada

Came in, 5 min after, he already had a better game than all of that embarrasing midfield

Most underrated and under appreciated player

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Matic will do wonders for him too. Helps him out against midfielders like Kroos and Modric who can easily exploit his lack of defensive awareness.

izec

If he gives his all, hard to dislike him, even if he is limited with the ball on the ground

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
i'm one of his biggest critics... i get no joy watching him, but he's been absolutely brilliant since coming on.

PepsiCola

Well you could argue that he is as consistent as caf favourite Ander Herrera. Yet he escapes the kind of abuse Fellaini takes.
Now this is ridiculous.

Herrera was great last season. A poor game returning from injury and you act like this is his standard. It was an uncharacteristically poor game from Herrera.

JoaquinJoaquin

Now this is ridiculous.

Herrera was great last season. A poor game returning from injury and you act like this is his standard. It was an uncharacteristically poor game from Herrera.
On the whole Herrera is a much more gifted player. But Herrera is a guy who has problems with consistency aswell. The thing is with Herrera is that when he has a bad game people easily brush it off, whereas with Fellaini it's always remembered.

Fellaini was good the majority of games last season, even if some of his haters would have you believe otherwise.

Zlatattack

Players which we need more than replacing Fellaini (a squad player)

Left sided winger - we don't have one, Martial is inconsistent.
Left back - all our options are poor
Right sided winger - Lingard is poor, Miki is inconsistent and more likely a 10. Our best option is Rashford who is a striker really.

Only after that should we consider replacing Fellaini.

Status
Not open for further replies.